Tae Kwon Do special abilities

Ninja-Bear

Hello Herophiles,

I was working on fleshing out a character who is supposed to be a Tae Kwon Do master. Now according to Ultimate Martial Artist 5th, TKD doesn't have any special abilities listed. So here is a list of a few abilities I thought would be appropriate for a TKD master. Please note that this are listed for a more 'realisitic' side of gaming.

Flying Technique: +6" leaping, accurate, only for calculating half moves in combat, always direct

Act 11 pts Real 5 END 1

This allows a master to leap across a room and attack with any of his manuevers.

Feints: HA +2D6, IPE (source only), HA lim, side effects (-1 OCV if PER roll is made)

ACT 15 pts Real 8 END 1

I never liked the way that feints were depicted in the book, so here is my attempt.

Grabbing Punch: HA +2D6, indirect (same origin, always away) HA lim

Here the master grabs (pushes) the guarding arm and punchs the exposed head.

Combo Kick: HA + 2D6 AF x3 shots HA lim

Act 12 pts Real 8 END 1

Multiple kicks-need I say more?

Jumping Techniques: HA +2D6 HA lim gestures (jump)

Act 10 Real 6 END 1

There must be a reason why TKD stylists jump with alot of their techniques. Note that I envision that the Jump and flying techniques are seperate. You can use both of them with your manuever or individually.

As usual, thanks for any feed back or suggestions. Also feel free to use them if you like.

Re: Tae Kwon Do special abilities

There must be a reason why TKD stylists jump with alot of their techniques. Note that I envision that the Jump and flying techniques are seperate. You can use both of them with your manuever or individually.

Yup. According to my TKD teachers, TKD was initially focused on fighting off Mongol invaders who were on horseback most of the time and carried wooden shields. So TKD fighters, were taught two important aspects: being able to jump up to attack the rider on horseback, and breaking the wooden shields with kicks and punches. That is why there is so much focus on jumping, and board breaking in TKD.

Yup. According to my TKD teachers' date=' TKD was initially focused on fighting off Mongol invaders who were on horseback most of the time and carried wooden shields. So TKD fighters, were taught two important aspects: being able to jump up to attack the rider on horseback, and breaking the wooden shields with kicks and punches. That is why there is so much focus on jumping, and board breaking in TKD.[/quote']

I too learned that the flying side kick was developed for knocking off warriors off the their horses.

For the combo kick, I was thinking that you could add variable special effects to represent multiple kicks, punches, ridgehands, etcettera. I should mention that the grabbing punch can be also used to represent hook kicks or cresant kicks and remember though that a character who buys his block with hardened can stop this type of attack.