Training/Workout Facilities for a Base

CorPse

Hey Gang,

Just wondering how to simulate Workout/Combat Training facilities for a Base.

Can't figure out how to define it, and therefore quantify it w/ points. It doesn't really seem to be a special effect associated with any Skill, Power, etc., that I can think of.

Suggestions welcome... especially if there's a commonly used technique for this.

--Charles

Re: Training/Workout Facilities for a Base

I'm not sure it's necessary TO quantify it with points, other than allocating the space for it.

If you must use points, I'd treat it as a "lab" and buy it for the base as a skill, perhaps "PS: Physical Education."

Lucius Alexander

Allocating space for a facility for the palindromedaries

If you want to get technical about it you need to decide what all you can actually "do" in your training lab, then buy it up like that. Of course this gets cost prohibitive quickly so generally speaking you can just set aside an area of your base (maybe buy up the defenses so you dont accidently "break" it) to be the training room and just use it like that.

Otherwise, for a "Danger Room" I'd buy up the defenses, then buy a VPP to simulate different attack scenarios. Check out [6e2 192] for some inspiration.

Depends on what sorts of training you want to do...

For a weight room, you might have the Base buy Hoist (from The Ultimate Brick).

For a "Danger Room" for working out combat strategies you could buy Teamwork.

For a judo/wrestling type facility you could take Breakfall.

For a rock wall or similar you could use Climbing.

Acrobatics for a gymnastic facility.

Or, of course, for a general exercise room, PS: Phys Ed would work great. :)

As Lucius suggested' date=' I did buy 'labs' for my ninja base. I even had a shooting gallery for the ninja stars he uses. And to add to Derek, don't forget contortionist for strecthing skills![/quote']

Interesting, what skill did you shooting gallery "lab" use?

General Workout room (Weights, Nautilus etc): SS: Physical Fitness (Science Skill) Lab

Gymnastics Room: Acrobatics Lab

Danger Room: Teamwork Lab

Shooting Range: WF: Firearms Lab

Dojo: Martial Arts Lab and/or WF: (various) Melee Weapons

All of the above "Labs" would provide a perfectly logical excuse for characters to develop the appropriate skills during "off time". GM's option, a character who regularly practices in one of the above Labs gains a temporary +1 to their skill roll for an amount of time equal to the time they spent practicing (thus if a character spent a full week practicing in the Gymnastics room for several hours a day, they get +1 to their Acrobatics skill for a week)

Note that Science Skill: Physical Fitness provides the justification for characters increasing their physical characteristics during "off time". This includes STR, CON, BOD, DEX, PD, ED, REC, SPD, Running and Leaping. To increase Swimming a Swimming Pool must be included of course.

Alternately, it could be purchased (as part of the Base) as Skill Levels, Useable by Others ("X" number of persons at the same time) with a Duration equal to the amount of time they spent practicing.

The first question to ask would be: will this danger room have game effects? If it is just a training area and an excuse to improve the characters, then points should be minimized by the GM or given free. If it will affect game play, then you do need to spend on them. Would you need to spend points for the player to get a gym membership or take a class in a university. If no, it shouldn't cost if in a base but a GM might want to define it with purchase of a skill as a lab if it can be used to improve your rolls. Labs are designed as complimentary rolls to character skills and not as training areas so I don't see them as needing to be paid for, personally or IMHO.

If you plan to have a playing session focused on the Danger Room being taken over, it is the GM who would want details to build it but should consider it a follower or a villain and players don't play for their villains. Characters should be involved if they built it but I would only calculate point values for space of base and for usage when battling it. If they want to make teamwork rolls with the room, it should have the skill. If they want make a skill roll WITH the room, it should be bought as a lab with a skill to use as complimentary.

Would I have to buy the old sandpit that I target shoot in as a lab for firearms? Would I need to buy my shower as a lab for personal hygiene? Would I have to buy my phone as a lab for communication? Would I need to buy my bedroom as a lab for resting and relaxing? I would have to buy the size in the base. I might buy furniture but unless I was going to add gadgets and special defenses to them, it wouldn't cost me points.

Would I have to buy the old sandpit that I target shoot in as a lab for firearms?

No but if your shooting indoors, you should buy up the walls DEF though. :) And for clairity, the shooting gallery is similar to a polices where there are moving targets and if you fail a perception roll, you could hit a civilian instead of the bad guys. Fwiw, when I wrote up this base, it was due to the fact that I had a bunch of extra points and also a what if type of thing.

If there is no game effect it goes without saying that there is no point cost. Thats pretty much a no brainer. But how would you simulate workout facilities that have a game effect and what would that effect be?

But most of the lab suggestions that have been suggested seem to have no in game effect to me. What would all the "labs" you suggested actually do?

But most of the lab suggestions that have been suggested seem to have no in game effect to me. What would all the "labs" you suggested actually do?

I believe I laid that out in my post. I even provided a Power Build that is completely legitimate for those who want to deal with the RAW.

All of the above "Labs" would provide a perfectly logical excuse for characters to develop the appropriate skills during "off time".

So would having a space in your base marked "gym" or "shooting range" or whatever that you didn't spend any points on (other than for the space in buying the Base itself)

GM's option, a character who regularly practices in one of the above Labs gains a temporary +1 to their skill roll for an amount of time equal to the time they spent practicing (thus if a character spent a full week practicing in the Gymnastics room for several hours a day, they get +1 to their Acrobatics skill for a week)

Note that Science Skill: Physical Fitness provides the justification for characters increasing their physical characteristics during "off time". This includes STR, CON, BOD, DEX, PD, ED, REC, SPD, Running and Leaping. To increase Swimming a Swimming Pool must be included of course.

Alternately, it could be purchased (as part of the Base) as Skill Levels, Useable by Others ("X" number of persons at the same time) with a Duration equal to the amount of time they spent practicing.

I had forgotten about this part of your post, my bad.

How do you determine how much time you spent practicing out of game? What's to stop the weapon master or martial artist or whoever from simply declaring they always use room X everyday and getting a (more or less) permanent +1 to their specialty? Even with the power build for those who want to be RAW, this seems like an issue.

Originally posted by Ninja Bear

"if your shooting indoors, you should buy up the walls DEF though."

I wouldn't need to buy up DEF if my indoor range is in my underground base and I am shooting into rock. It is a safety aspect in the real world. I might actually place a false wall before the rock wall to catch the bullets rather than allow richoche? (spelling). This is a design aspect. Why would I buy DEF if there is no game effect?

I have seen people who equate practise regularly to maintaining a skill or being extra ready to use it. Isn't that why your heroes are constantly patrolling and engaging in adventures suppose to do? A real SRU team is constantly training but that keeps them familiar and ready. Giving someone a bonus for having a gym is an insurance company thing and only translates if there is a driving force to do it. In gaming, saying "my character works out" is lame at best. The idea of a character working out all the time means that the character also needs to have another source of investigation and interaction into society or you have this character working out until he feels the large explosions, earthquake or get wet from the flood, too late to save anyone including himself.

It is cool to have the characters interacting and growing with roleplaying and training times for new skills but it is a game. If your hero team is a rapid response unit, you can train all the time and just wait to hear the bells ring but it is more fun to have the characters roleplay and find the adventures. Don't overthink things.

Our group uses simple rules that there must be a reasonable time for the character to learn the new skill. Therefore players preplan and spend downtime working on skills they plan to buy. That working on skills requires them to actually do things but it can take them out of the action or can place them into a situation to advance the gameplay. ie. A character is taking a class in forensics at the local university and meets the villain or creates a love interest who will later be threatened versus the character who takes an online course and never interacts with anyone.

If it results in only taking them out of the action, the GM is wasting time and most players want to play and not just do paperwork. We got into a game of Harn where the party ran the equivalent of a strip mall but stopped the game as the party ended up just doing paperwork and not adventuring.

Gaming is for the fun and adventure. If it adds to the game, do it. If it ruins the fun, you should skip it.

Bolon - part of my answer for the walls was supposed to be humrous and I missed the part about the shooting range in the basement. :) But if we're talking about superheroic, then I do think you have too buy up the walls as you have to pay for any advantge in champions. When I get a chance, I'll look at the rules to see what you get for free.

The true point is that it is a game and needs to stay as a game and fun. The spirit of the game is that wealth, money and all the extras are not suppose to weigh the game fun down unless you choose high realism with superheroes (?????) so don't let it. GM can change the rules but this is co-operative storytelling and adults enjoying fun and time together. There is a point when it becomes more than a game and becomes no fun at all.

Fwiw I was rereading the rules on bases per 5edr and it states specifically that

Don't let the term "lab" confuse you; they're not restricted to the hard sciences. A base couold have a 'lab' stocked with Disguise equipment, gymnasuim equipment for practicing Acrobatics, or lockpicking tools and practice locks.

To build a lab, simply buy the appropriate Skill.