Australian Supervillains

assault

Re: Australian Supervillains

You could steal and adapt from the recent Aquaman reboot...

The Great Barrier Reef is shrinking, decaying... what if, somehow, it was the only thing formerly blocking the entry way into a whole nother realm full of an aquatic threat. Maybe degenerate cannibal warriors of Atlantean descent, maybe an elder god ("Dagon lives!") entrapped by life and now free to spread his horrorific glory on surface civilizations, or maybe some Qualarr monster was sleeping there.

Somehow, I don't think that real-world ancient Egypt had an equivalent to the boomerang at all.

First post attempt failed.

Oddly, the "apotropaic wands" used by Egyptian priest-magicians were boomerang-shaped. They didn't throw the things, though -- they used the tip to draw a magic circle on the ground.

It would be something for a boomerang-themed villain to steal, though.

Dean Shomshak

You could steal and adapt from the recent Aquaman reboot...

The Great Barrier Reef is shrinking, decaying... what if, somehow, it was the only thing formerly blocking the entry way into a whole nother realm full of an aquatic threat. Maybe degenerate cannibal warriors of Atlantean descent, maybe an elder god ("Dagon lives!") entrapped by life and now free to spread his horrorific glory on surface civilizations, or maybe some Qualarr monster was sleeping there.

Heck, if we're looking at official CU precedents Lemuria isn't very far from Oz, and Champions Worldwide notes suspicious underwater activity nearby in the Pacific that has a Lemurian connection. If the Lemurian civil war is ongoing there could easily be spillover of one sort or another as far east as Australia.

Ooh, right, that could make for another potential supers origin in the area -- one or more fragments of the Philosopher's Stone, aka the exploded fuel core of the Mandragalore.

hmmm, "search thread" didn't pop these up:

have you considered any based on Australia's invasive species problem?

Mr. Myxomatosis: Formerly in the employ of the Australian government, this scientist had a lab accident that turned him into a hideous were-rabbit with terrifying plague powers.

The Dingos: A small group of supervillains. They want to eat babies. Ya can't get much more evil than that.

Madame Cane Toad Has superbreeding powers (she makes lots of babies, all of whom grow quickly into toad minions). She also has an extensive arsenal of poisons and hallucinogens.

have you considered any based on Australia's invasive species problem?

Yes. I've got many more character concepts than I can actually use. I'm trying to actually write some up at the moment.

Mr. Myxomatosis:

The Dingos:

Madame Cane Toad

No, no and no. But thanks anyway. :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

This is still a live project, although half my files are on another machine, and a lot of other stuff is still sitting on paper or just in my head.

Definite characters:

Deaththrow: a hitman for ARGENT who uses hi-tech boomerangs. (Possibly could be upgraded to power armour if they feel the need). Carries his boomerangs in a bandolier from his left hip to right shoulder, with the outside curves pointing upward, set up for a right hand "draw". Power armour version would use plasma "boomerangs" that aren't really thrown, but fly along curved and possibly returning courses.

Black Opal: Star Sapphire/Moonstone homage. Hunted by ARGENT, who want her gem as a power source.

I have a bunch of possibles, including one that's basically the Backworlds version of Seeker from Champions 3-D (a 4th edition book, for those unfamiliar with it).

How about a Phantom of the Sydney Opera House.

Possible.

I think we've pretty well established there are more character possibilities than anyone could ever use.

I'm completely failing to concentrate long enough to write the backgrounds for the characters I want to write up. I've been sitting here all morning trying. (Day off).

Something tells me I don't really want to do it. Or else I want to have done it, without going through the effort of actually doing the work. Both are entirely typical of me - I'm absurdly lazy.

Part of the problem is that I'm trying to write characters in the relatively longwinded 5/6e style, when I really only want to do them like 1st to 3rd edition characters. And then there's the question of their appearance. I've probably got a set of colouring pencils around here somewhere. I scanned the 3e character outlines about a year ago....

OK, enough. I've got to go elsewhere for a while this afternoon. I'll try to write brief descriptions for Black Opal and Deaththrow while I'm mucking about there. Hopefully I'll get around to typing them in tomorrow.

Red Ball

Brick street brawler.

Former New South Wales Police Officer kicked off the force for corruption and excessive force (which if you know anything about NSW says a lot!). Gained superhuman strength and toughness by shaking down a criminal scientist who he beat to death the moment it got his powers. Red Ball is Australian Police code for a priority case.

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

15 DEX 15

25 CON 30

14 BODY 8

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

25 PD 15

15 ED 10

4 SPD 0

15 REC 0

50 END 0

52 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 150 Points

Cost Skills

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Criminology 12-

3 Interrogation 13-

10 SL: Overall +1

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Skills Cost: 25 Points

Cost Powers

25 Damage Resistance 25 rPD 15 rED, Hardened (+1/4)

10 Knockback Resistance -5"

25 Leaping +15", Accurate, 4x NCM

15 RKA 2d6, [8c/4 Clips] (-0), OAF: Pistol (-1)

Total Powers Cost: 75 Points

Total Cost: 250 Points

150+ Disadvantages

15 DNPC: Holly Southern, Wife (Unaware Normal) 8-

10 DNPC: Mary Grace, Hooker Mistress (Normal) 8-

15 Hunted: Australian Law Enforcement Authorities (More Powerful/LGA/NCI) 8-

15 Hunted: Australian Superheroes (More Powerful/LGA/NCI) 8-

20 PsyL: Greedy (Very Common/Strong)

15 PsyL: Overconficence (Very Common/Moderate)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Mick Southern] (Occasionally/Major)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

Costume ideas for Black Opal and Deaththrow. Note that I haven't actually drawn them, so it might be necessary to modify them to make them work.

Black Opal: Reasonably tall white woman with an athletic build. Blue eyes, although possibly affected by power use. Hair style and colour varies, often featuring brightly coloured streaks.

Black body suit. No mask. No cape. Circular symbol on chest, featuring a multi-coloured "facet" design. Use this kind of thing as a guide. Wears a belt to break up the black - either gold or multi-coloured. Parts of her costume may vary in colour when powers in use. (This might need a bit of testing, and possibly have to be abandoned).

The opal itself is probably worn as a choker necklace, on a black(?) band.

Deaththrow (boomerang guy): Tall athletic white guy. Blonde. Brown eyes. This kind of mask/cowl, although with less mushroom-y hair.

Costume mostly red, with yellow chevrons (approximating boomerang shapes) and black bits to break things up. His boomerangs are carried on a bandolier stretching from his left hip to his right shoulder. The 'rangs are positioned for a right handed grip, so the "outside" edge is upwards.

Like this: left hip >>>>>>> right shoulder

Horrific idea: Captain Cliche, who has kangaroo powers. He wanted to call himself The Kangaroo, but the press, heroes and other villains all laughed and stuck him with his current nom de guerre. He's actually pretty competent, but gets zero respect, and newbie Australian heroes aren't considered fully accepted until they've managed to beat him at least once.

I think I might add Captain Mercury to my to-do list. I originally had him down as a hero, but, frankly, my list of villains sucks.

As I've pointed out upthread, several historical bushrangers used "Captain x" type names, so it's quite appropriate that a speedster villain - a bushranger of sorts - should emulate this.

Having said that, I originally thought of the name after I met an army officer whose last name was "Mercuri". And yes, he was a Captain...

I'll give him a generic "experimental fuel explosion" origin.

What I need are the visuals. Maybe something inspired by the suit Australian sprinter Cathy Freeman wore at the Sydney Olympics.

I always felt it was very superhero-ish.

I'm thinking that the problem with a name like 'Kangaroo Man' is that it just doesn't have enough 'zip' to it. You need a name that embodies that icon of Australia while having more of an 'edge'. Something that says that this is no mere man with the powers of a kangaroo. This is a man who is tenacious and skilled. A man who will never back down. A leader among men who all people can look up to and admire.

I'm thinking 'Captain Kangaroo'. How's that sound?

I'm thinking that the problem with a name like 'Kangaroo Man' is that it just doesn't have enough 'zip' to it. You need a name that embodies that icon of Australia while having more of an 'edge'. Something that says that this is no mere man with the powers of a kangaroo. This is a man who is tenacious and skilled. A man who will never back down. A leader among men who all people can look up to and admire.

I'm thinking 'Captain Kangaroo'. How's that sound?