Teen Mystics or Magical Girls For CHAMPIONS campaigns

PhantomGM2602

Sailor Sun? Someone has been reading the Sailor Ranko fanfic series. He could easily be Ralf Salvatore (Ralf Salvatore, think an Italian Ranma Saotome), a rash and rough teenage not who was practically trained from birth in the martial arts by his father Guido "the Panda" Salvatore. Guido and his best friend Stanley "Crybaby" Tens were minor MMA/Profesinal Wrestling people, and wanting to unite Tens school by marriage (between Ralf and Stanley's daughter Adaline, a tomboy).

Sailor Sun? Someone has been reading the Sailor Ranko fanfic series. He could easily be Ralf Salvatore (Ralf Salvatore, think an Italian Ranma Saotome), a rash and rough teenage not who was practically trained from birth in the martial arts by his father Guido "the Panda" Salvatore. Guido and his best friend Stanley "Crybaby" Tens were minor MMA/Profesinal Wrestling people, and wanting to unite Tens school by marriage (between Ralf and Stanley's daughter Adaline, a tomboy).

Never read them.

For a while, I considered having Andrew Anderson instead of Amy Anderson as Sailor Mercury.  Andy would've been, like me, a Conservative Jew and had one close friend, his rabbi's daughter.  Otherwise, he would've been like Amy.  Also, his girlfriend would've know, and accepted, his secret.

Hear is a simple rundown for the Sailor Ranko Fanfiction I have read/am reading.

The series takes place after the Sailor Moon SuperS series, and appears that events of Sailor Moon Sailor Stars does not happen. On the Ranma end, it is after the event of Herb and the Musk Dynasty, but before Ranma reveals himself to his mother.

Sailor Ranko: Ranma and Akane are sent to Jubon destrict of Tokyo in order to improve his grades by being tutored by Ami. Also, Ranma must learn how to teach his art to others, and does so thanks to Myagi of Karate Kid game ("Fix wall"). Meanwhile, Jadite awakens and starts sending youma out to collect energy.

This turns out to be a distraction strategy, while the Senshi are focusing on that, Jadeite is sending weaker youma out to kidnap people on the street to act as a battery for his army.

Jadeite almost wins till his youma kidnap Akane.

As for why Ranma is a Senshi, he may be a reincarnation or something.

Twice In A Lifetime: Ranma/Sailor Sun gets married to Akane Tendo, and as a wedding present

is made into a Sailor Senshi named Sailor Io

. The wedding itself follows the wedding at the and of Ranma, with some few differences.

Sailor Ranko: Black Moon: Eclipse of the Sun: It's a long title. Wiseman from the Black Moon Family gets resurrected

by the same wish made during Sailor Moon's fight with Queen Metalica/Queen Berly

. Eventually he gets re-dead

and is made moot by history being erased

(forgotten name of fic): Ryoga gets married to Akari, Genma gets a job, and

Skynet sends a Terminator back in time to create a back up of it's memories and programming. Then takes over the Earth, tosses a nuke near Nermia

. Eventually they win, then

Sailor Pluto makes sure it does not happen and the T-1000 is tossed into the Sun. She allows all the Senshi to remember the event

The Harder They Fall: The Sailor Senshi vs Godzilla. Except it is the Hollywood early 2000 version, better known as Zilla by all fans who prefer the original.

Thrice In A Lifetime: I'm reading it now. It is a retelling of the Saffron story, with differences.

Sailor Sun is Donald Taylor.  Don, whose parents teach at San Angelo City College, which is a community college, plays trumpet and is a Conservative Jew.  His girlfriend, Cheryl Hailperin, is a Mouseketeer and his rabbi's daughter.  Knowledge of his secret doesn't bother her.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking various sources over, I think we can do away with Sailors Sun and Earth with Tuxedo Mask occasionally coming in.

Sailor Mercury's biography mentions a cram school.  We don't have them in the United States, but there are various after-school programs, including those at synagogues.  Since I want Sailor Mercury to have a male identity, he's Alan Anderson.  His only real friends are in the group, however, he does have a number of acquaintances, usually friends of his mother's, at the Tree of Life Synagogue.

Alan also likes to visit the Wells Planetarium, which is on the campus of San Angelo City College and hopes to attend Space Camp with his mother, Rachel, a medevac flight surgeon

...We don't have them in the United States...

That isn't entirely accurate. We do have some Cram-Schools in the U.S. (as well as similar institutions), but they aren't nearly as common as they are in Asian countries (although I'm given to understand that they are more common in cities & neighborhoods with high Asian populations, such as parts of Los Angeles).

Since I'd probably be starting the campaign with the team forming, It'll be a while when the incidents in those stories occurr.  Sailor Sun, if she shows up, and Sailor Earth will join up around the time Sailor Mars does.

<wince>  You know in the original Tux-boy had the Earth slot and the sun was covered by "Pegasus" (whose real name was Helios).  

I've decided that Akiko, having been raised Shinto, would not fit in at a Catholic school because she would be required to attend mass and participate in it as well as learning about the Catholic religion.  A better fit would be a private, non-religious school.  If we go back to River City, the shrine would be northwest of Bell Acres, near the Pittsburgh Zen Center and get its mail from the Sewickley post office.

• 1 month later...

The Sailor Senshis are based in River City, Pennsylvania, which is based on Pittsburgh.  Lucy (Animalia) has relatives there.

They're basically like those from the books, only Akiko (Sailor Mars) attends Ellis School, a secular private school, and the shrine she's a miko at was once a church.  She and her grandfather, the high priest, live in the church rectory.  Her two crow friends live in a tree on the grounds of the shrine.

The Sailor Senshi all have female civilian identities.

Edited by Mark Rand
making corrections

I made a few changes to a previous post.  Since there are no cram schools in River City, Amy, who is Jewish. attends Hebrew School twice a week and likes to use the computer lab.

As far as the Court goes, since there is no Sailor Sun, I might make Tim Sunspell with his girlfriend, Judy, as Solastar.  They work well together.

One interesting thing about having a Sailor Senshi campaign set in River City (AKA Pittsburgh) is where to set the Shinto shrine.  After all, the Zen Center of Pittsburgh, a Buddhist Temple, is northwest of Bell Acres, a borough north of the Borough of Swickley, Pennsylvania (which is 20 miles northwest of Pittsburgh).

One solution is to use the building that once held the New Light Congregation, a Conservative Jewish Synagogue, which has now merged with Tree of Life Or L'Simcha Congregation, but it might still be too big for that purpose.

• 1 month later...

Much of what I know about Sailor Moon is taken from the VIZ Media editions of the first three seasons and the character sheets I've found on line.  It is, I think, going to be interesting rewriting them for a game set in Pittsburgh because the educational systems are different and there are no Shinto shrines in the area and the area's Zen center is 21.1-miles from the city.

On 12/31/2017 at 2:39 PM, Mark Rand said:

Much of what I know about Sailor Moon is taken from the VIZ Media editions of the first three seasons and the character sheets I've found on line.  It is, I think, going to be interesting rewriting them for a game set in Pittsburgh because the educational systems are different and there are no Shinto shrines in the area and the area's Zen center is 21.1-miles from the city.

There is a Shinto shrine or Zen center if you want it there. It's your world, nothing says that is happens to have to 100% equal your real world city. (Your already deviating from it by having magical girls there).

Let me see what I can come up with.  My stomping grounds until 1999, Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh's mostly Jewish neighborhood, is their home area.  The shrine is located on the edge of Frick Park, near the entrance to the Falls Ravine Trail and Clayton Hill, where the Environmental Center is being built.

Most of the Sailor Guardians (the term used in the Viz Media Series) attend Colfax School (K-8).  Sailor Mars attends St. Bede School in the Point Breeze neighborhood (also K-8).  Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune are freshmen at Taylor Allderdice High School (9-12), where the other Guardians will attend.

Amy Anderson (Sailor Mercury), her mother, Rachel, and Lita Kline (Sailor Jupiter) live in the Maxim Towers.  Amy, who wears glasses and has blue hair in her heroic identity, has memorized a number of bus schedules, and spends much of her after school time at either the Jewish Community Center, or B'nai Israel Congregation (which is located where New Light Congregation was until they merged with Tree of Life Congregation).

I've attached a Frick Park map.  I'll remove it if there are any problems.

frick8.5x11map.pdf

Edited by Mark Rand
to fix spelling errors

I am late to this, but I have an NPC the players met up with in West Hollywood.  She's a sailor scout of superhero level sent to America because she wasn't getting along with the team in Japan.

They (the heroes) meet her with her smoking a cigar, drinking cheap whiskey from a bottle, with horribly hairy legs and a dirty disheveled sailor costume, swearing like a sailor.  Japan eventually took her back when Dr. Destroyer took over North Korea.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing some tweaking on the Sailor Guardians to get them to fit in the CU. 

Sailor Saturn suffers from epilepsy in her civilian identity, but not her heroic identity.  Fortunately, most of her seizures are absence (or petit mal) seizures.

Edited by Mark Rand
to fix a few things

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...