Advice sought: Uncommon Sense(s)

phoenix240

Re: Advice sought: Uncommon Sense(s)

As a thought if a character had Detect: Blood: Discriminatory what would you allow them to determine on a Perception roll with KS and Science skills in the area? How much more detail would they get if they added Analyze?

With the simplest form he should be able to differntiate bloodtypes (A, B, AB, 0) and maybe even species (monkeys propably have different blood than humans). He might be able to discern if it is venous blood or arterial blood (the O²/CO² amount differs strongly between the two). If he has some medical background he might be able to figure out if someone is ill (increased amount of white bloodcells)

If he sometimes figured out how a specific bloodtype "tastes", he would be able to name the bloodtype.

Analyzing allows him to do the same thing a blood laboratry can do (he does not needs any equipment do the same stuff). He still needs the skill or experience to interpret that data, but he could propably give you percental values. He won't detect a single odd cell or material in it (that requires microscopic) so he might miss stuff a good microscope would find.

One thing to consider as an effect:

There is a modifier for Skill Rolls called "Character has extensive knowledge of the object of the Skill Roll".

There is also the penalty for "Character uses poor equipment, or lacks the proper equipment (if appropriate)". So at the least I would allow him a Complimentary Roll to counteract the "lack of equipment" penalty.

Yes, now I could even see rolling it as a complimentary roll - it basically provides a "Character uses good equipment in connection with the Skill Roll" bonus. His sensory organs fuction as good tool for a blood analysis (if he rolls good). The same way ferengy ears are a good tool to crack a 1962 Safe (as a stetoscope is a "good tool" for this job).

I once built something similar: A Character with the ability to taste DNA, even from small samples. The game (would have) played in the McCarthy Era and the characters were investigators in the FBI, so it does open up unique ways of identifiying suspects (just think how many people will leave DNA traces because they have no clue that someone could read them. People actually place them it on thier blackmail letter).

The sense was part of the taste/smell group (5E game) so it only had free discriminatory (so she might not be able to detect clones or discern twins - an intentional weakspot), but she did have a Eidetic Memory only for that sense and that was also her way of aquiring DNA samples to mimic people (she was shapeshifter).

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to remember about your "Detect: Blood" example is that while they are very similar a Detect is NOT one of your standard senses and does not exactly work like them. For instance, the 6e1 description of Detect Metal with Discriminatory and Analyze, that is not information that could be gleaned with any use of sight, it is because you have a narrowly defined Detect power that allows you to get information that would likely be impossible to discern with normal senses. (Metal composition of an alloy would require spectroscopic lab materials to detect for instance. No amount of modifiers on sight could enable you to "see" that, except maybe enough levels of telescopic to be able to see at a molecular level, and the appropriate SS to identify what you are seeing.)

For me, I would rule that Detect Blood by itself would let you know there is blood there (even if it was cleaned away) but you have no idea what size or amount is available.

Adding Discriminatory would tell you how much blood was there, the size and shape of a blood pool on a surface (even if it was wiped clean), and if there were any irregularities to the blood. Everyman Paramedics (if used in your campaign) would be enough of a justification for me to allow you to detect blood type with this. If you had an appropriate SS I would allow you to know if he had any diseases, bacteria, etc but not specifics "He had some type of influenza, but you don't know the strain." for instance.

Adding Analyze would tell you the number and types of irregularites (He seems to have 3 different pathogens, and a nasty bacteria.) However at this point without a SS to back it up you really don't have the knowledge to identify exactly what is wrong with it. With an SS you are basically a walking blood lab. You can identify any disease, bacteria, pathogen, etc. You can probably even get DNA information (He is Mexican, Caucasian, Japanese, male, female, etc.) and with appropriate skills could function as a walking DNA lab as well. (Basically any information that could be obtained from a blood sample you are able to obtain without needing the equipment.)

One thing to remember about your "Detect: Blood" example is that while they are very similar a Detect is NOT one of your standard senses and does not exactly work like them.

For most parts I consider the "normal human Senses" nothing more or less than 5 point detects with a bunch of adders. Each of them can be upgraded to a targetting sense, but they are relatively easily blocked/negateable (there is a least one totally common situation for each where they do not work).

For me' date=' I would rule that Detect Blood by itself would let you know there is blood there (even if it was cleaned away) but you have no idea what size or amount is available.[/quote']

The rules for (pure) detect clearly state that intensity is percieved - without any need for adders. So you can differentiate between a small blood sample and a human organism.

Without the appropriate skill, the character would be able to understand but that would be having no language and no concepts to explain the data. Part of my degree in law enforcement included a course on how to interpret blood results. It gave me a general framework to interpret the raw data and then apply it to policing. With the blood example above, he would be able to identify the blood as from a specific person with a sample previously. He wouldn't be able to tell that the disease in the blood was something if he never encountered it. He wouldn't be able to tell me the blood type although he would know it. It would be of a scale of his own device without the skill. I would allow after time to have a familiarity and therefore start to use standard coding for his data. I definitely wouldn't be giving him the ability to link up his information with data via the internet or discussions with medical professions without at least a familiarity.

Without the appropriate skill' date=' the character would be able to understand but that would be having no language and no concepts to explain the data. Part of my degree in law enforcement included a course on how to interpret blood results. It gave me a general framework to interpret the raw data and then apply it to policing. With the blood example above, he would be able to identify the blood as from a specific person with a sample previously.[/quote']

That reminds me of a thought I had about one of my characters, Septa.

Her powers come from an magical artifact wich grants power over all 6 Elements and ultimatively any force of nature.

The power actually makes her understand how physics, chemistry, genetics and other interactions truly work. Propably on the sub-quantum level - yes she could figure out the exact position and velocity of a particle/wave and propably explain why every particle is also a wave. Unfortunately she is not a scientist. She can't even begin to describe her understanding, until she reads how humanitys scientific knowledge describes the effects. She can't relay a concept that humanity has no understanding of, as she literally lacks the words for it.

She can read up on several thematics quite easily (i.e. learn the KS and PS) - it is more like remembering/being able to form into words something she already knew than learning something from scratch. But a lot of things will simply have to be explained with "Elemental Magic".

"How did you prevent all those atom bombs from setting of properly?"

"I simply increased, for a short amount of time and planetwide, the stability of nuclear material. Thus all Fission processes were delayed, wich in turn meant the masses weren't critical anymore - wich means atoms bombs are simply heavliy overpriced, dirty firecrackers."

"But how did you make that change."

"I tell you once humanity figures out the concept with wich I can explain the concept, that I need to even begin describing it."

• 3 weeks later...

Coming at senses from the other direction, would you say that the sensory deception Powers (Shapeshift and Images) would require some additional skills to create truly perfect images/disguises (assuming the proper Adders haven't been purchased)? How would Discriminatory and Analytical effect how these Powers function, particularly of the user lacks such abilities herself? Can you fool senses (or modified senses) that you don't possess with the base Powers? For instance, will character A with normal sight leave out details that would be "obvious" to character B with Discriminatory/Analytical vision perhaps unless they have some relevant Skills?

Coming at senses from the other direction' date=' would you say that the sensory deception Powers (Shapeshift and Images) would require some additional skills to create truly perfect images/disguises (assuming the proper Adders haven't been purchased)? How would Discriminatory and Analytical effect how these Powers function, particularly of the user lacks such abilities herself?[b'] Can you fool senses (or modified senses) that you don't possess with the base Powers?[/b] For instance, will character A with normal sight leave out details that would be "obvious" to character B with Discriminatory/Analytical vision perhaps unless they have some relevant Skills?

Replying to the part I bolded, I would say "yes". Shape Shift specifically applies to Sense Groups not individual Senses. If a Sight Shape Shift fools someone with UV, IR, or Night Vision I don't see why it wouldn't fool someone with Discriminatory/Analytical.

I would think it is one of those things that is "Based upon sfx, dramatic sense, yadda yadda yadda". Some forms would, some wouldn't, depending on how the power worked. ESPECIALLY without the proper adders. But again different circumstances have different answers.

For instance. I have shapeshift with imitation adder and "requires skin contact". If I touch someone and shapeshift to look like them I would generally rule that no amount of discriminatory/analytical would detect a difference.

On the other hand if I don't have "requires skin contact" and I just used a picture, or video of my subject to shapeshift then discriminatory/analytical would probably grant at least a chance to detect that I am not the person I am copying (especially if the D/A guy knows the person I am shapeshifted as well.)

There are other considerations as well, if its a "mutant power" D/A is less likely to work than if its "Super Disguise Skill" (bought with OAF Focus and Extra Time), etc etc etc.

Your right about the skin contact thing, I forgot about that. And Super Disguise is still better than a regular Disguise roll. Remember we are talking about the really rare instance of someone buying Discriminatory/Analytical for sight. That has to be worth something as well. Personally I would think that this would allow them to detect minor imperfections. Shapeshift designed to imitate someone is likely to have imperfections. More if you are working from a photograph etc. than if you are working from a living model (which is why the skin contact thing was mentioned. If you can see your model that should work almost as well.) Note that for some sfx I would say that if the Shapeshifter had Discriminatory/Analytical as well then the En.Sen. guy doesn't get any benefit (or a greatly reduced one.)

Of course this is not an official ruling of any sort, just my opinion.

As to detecting Shape Shift in general, from CC 84:

Other characters cannot make PER Rolls to “perceivethrough” Shape Shift to determine that the person is Shape

Shifted. They have to detect it in other ways, such as a PER Roll

using a Sense the Shape Shift doesn’t affect (“She looked and

sounded like Jane, but she sure wasn’t wearing Jane’s perfume”).

As to imperfections in the Shape Shift, yes, Discriminatory/Analytical might help if they have a reason to suspect in the first place (such as they know the person being imitated) and they don't have the Imitation Adder. Most characters, in my experience, whose shtick is spy/infiltration type Shape Shifting will have the Imitation Adder and Discriminatory/Analytical will not help even if you know the person. Heck, a super-spy super-skill may even include the Imitation Adder, and the fact that it requires a Focus doesn't really alter that.

My personal call would be that Discrim and Analyze would primarily grant a chance to see through the Shapeshift/Image with a substantial bonus in the later case, particularly of the "illusionist" (for lack of a better word) didn't have those sense modifiers/senses in the first place or perhaps worse, know the observer he was trying to fool had them. It would be similar to someone born partially colorblind trying to fool a person with normal sight. The Imitation Adder would largely or usually totally negate this in the case of Shapeshift. Perhaps there should be a similar Adder for Images?

My personal call would be that Discrim and Analyze would primarily grant a chance to see through the Shapeshift/Image with a substantial bonus in the later case' date=' particularly of the "illusionist" (for lack of a better word) didn't have those sense modifiers/senses in the first place or perhaps worse, know the observer he was trying to fool had them. It would be similar to someone born partially colorblind trying to fool a person with normal sight. The Imitation Adder would largely or usually totally negate this in the case of Shapeshift. Perhaps there should be a similar Adder for Images?[/quote']

Again: "Other characters cannot make PER Rolls to “perceivethrough” Shape Shift to determine that the person is Shape

sounded like Jane, but she sure wasn’t wearing Jane’s perfume”)."

Discrim and Analyze cannot improve your chance to "perceive through" something if you don't have the chance to perceive through it in the first place.

Example: Your character with Analyze on his Sight sees a woman walking down the street. She doesn't look like anyone he knows. It is actually the mutant Mystique on her way to assassinate someone. The fact that you have Analyze on your sight doesn't mean you have a chance to realize it's Mystique/a shape shifter in general. She's not imitating anyone you know so whether or not she has Imitation doesn't come into it.

I'm not saying you can't do it your way (obviously you can do whatever you want in your game), but realize you are firmly in the realm of "house rules" that directly contradict the RAW (rules as written) by that point.

Again: "Other characters cannot make PER Rolls to “perceivethrough” Shape Shift to determine that the person is Shape

sounded like Jane, but she sure wasn’t wearing Jane’s perfume”)."

Discrim and Analyze cannot improve your chance to "perceive through" something if you don't have the chance to perceive through it in the first place.

Example: Your character with Analyze on his Sight sees a woman walking down the street. She doesn't look like anyone he knows. It is actually the mutant Mystique on her way to assassinate someone. The fact that you have Analyze on your sight doesn't mean you have a chance to realize it's Mystique/a shape shifter in general. She's not imitating anyone you know so whether or not she has Imitation doesn't come into it.

I'm not saying you can't do it your way (obviously you can do whatever you want in your game), but realize you are firmly in the realm of "house rules" that directly contradict the RAW (rules as written) by that point.

Oh I understand what RAW say. That's what I said it would be a personal call. I think having those modifiers on the affected sense would specifically grant a chance to see through the Shapeshift or grant a bonus to notice the Image was false as I don't agree with RAW as it doesn't make much sense (dramatic or logical) in many cases, IMO. Further reduces the impact of purchasing the modifier. In the case of your example, Mystique probably have Imitate on her Shapeshift (Cellular too) so the point is moot. But if its someone who's just got Shapeshift without imitate they might easily have made mistakes that a normal person might find next to impossible to detect but someone with the finely attuned senses indicated by Analytical/Discrim has possibility of noticing particularly if they don't have such senses themselves and weren't trying to take them account. A naturally blind person would have a great deal of difficulty creating convincing visual illusion to take it to an extreme. SFX could make a difference as well depending on the situation (Mutant power vs Disguise Skill vs Magical Identity Cloaking Spell).

It's a pretty rare situation so I don't think its nerfing Shapeshift or Images and actually makes buying the modifiers do something which seems to be an issue at the moment. IME, most people that want to flawlessly imitate something or someone even some thing they've never seen before get Imitate on their Shapeshift.

Something I wanted to clarify. I was never intending D/A to allow you to "see through" Shapeshift. No matter what bonuses you have to your perception you cannot tell what a shapeshifted person looks like without the shapeshift. HOWEVER! I believe they could allow you to tell that the shapeshifter is NOT what he/she is trying to appear as. This is most applicable to trying to appear to be someone else (without the Imitation adder) as the amount of detail that a D/A viewer could get on the target far surpasses the detail that someone without those senses could try to copy (which is where sfx comes into play. A "mutant" or "magic" based Shapeshift does not necessarily rely on the perceptions of the user in creating the Shapeshifted form. A "disguise kit" based Shapeshift usually does.)

I do see how RAW the Imitation adder (and especially the Cellular adder) would probably defeat D/A tho. (And I would possibly House Rule it to work the other way depending on SFX).

Hmm. Shapeshift doesn't change mass, does it? Not 'sight' shapeshift, anyway. Analyse can tell you the chemical composition of what you are looking at, and, if you know enough chemistry, presumably you can tell the mass of what you are looking at.

I don't think Discriminatory/Analyse should be able to 'detect through' shapeshift, applying the rules, but then I think shapeshift ought to be the ability to shift shape, not 'perfectly fool senses'.

Something I wanted to clarify. I was never intending D/A to allow you to "see through" Shapeshift. No matter what bonuses you have to your perception you cannot tell what a shapeshifted person looks like without the shapeshift. HOWEVER! I believe they could allow you to tell that the shapeshifter is NOT what he/she is trying to appear as. This is most applicable to trying to appear to be someone else (without the Imitation adder) as the amount of detail that a D/A viewer could get on the target far surpasses the detail that someone without those senses could try to copy (which is where sfx comes into play. A "mutant" or "magic" based Shapeshift does not necessarily rely on the perceptions of the user in creating the Shapeshifted form. A "disguise kit" based Shapeshift usually does.)

I do see how RAW the Imitation adder (and especially the Cellular adder) would probably defeat D/A tho. (And I would possibly House Rule it to work the other way depending on SFX).

Agreed. D/A would possibly give an impression that something is wrong or off about the Shapeshifted character not what they really look or their actual identity. The character might get impressions on a high margin of success ("She's not really a woman...") but nothing exact.

I suppose I'm trying to maintain a balance between the figurative offense (sense fooling powers) and defense (Enhanced senses). The thread started off with a lot of suggestions for what D/A might provide but quickly turned to how limited they would be, primarily because the character wouldn't automatically gain the knowledge to use the data they could collect, might even by it. So it seemed a little unfair to assume the Sense deception powers automatically give the character some knowledge they couldn't posses (like how to trick senses they don't have or aren't aware of) without some chance of failure.

Perhaps as an alternative, I could rule Analyze means just that: the character comprehends what information the senses gains exactly as if he had the required skills almost like an inverse of the Imitation Adder. But that's a little vague.

I think part of the problem is that we only have Discriminatory/Analyze examples for Detects (where you are specifying what it is you detect, so its easier to determine the exact amount of information D/A provides). We don't really have official examples for it applied to normal senses. I know when I was thinking about things I had to keep reminding myself that D/A is NOT Microscopic so it doesn't help you detect differences that are really small. One of the things I thought about is that our senses are Analog, and D/A would allow us to perceive difference of smaller wavelengths. Two reds that look identical to most people could be vastly different shades for someone with D/A. And depending on the SFX of abilities like Shapeshift I question if they would be able to match wavelengths specifically enough to fool a D/A user when the Shapeshifter lacks the ability to tell the difference himself. Some SFX I could see gaining that (Magic, some Mutant abilites, for instance) Others would have a much harder time convincing me (Tech-based, Skill-based, etc) But I will concede that I am applying logic to the game and that is not always the way the rules are written. Sometimes simplicity comes first.

Shapeshift works the same way mechanically whatever the SFX: it perfectly fools senses or sense groups. The user of shapeshift does not need to have the relevant senses. To that extent, it matters not what adders or modifiers you pile on a sense - it can not sense that shapeshift is somehow wrong because the sense is fooled perfectly. I fully concede that makes no sense for certain varieties of shapeshift - in which case you build the shapeshift differently. Shapeshift (sight group) works fine even if the shapeshifter is sight blind.

I think part of the problem is that we only have Discriminatory/Analyze examples for Detects (where you are specifying what it is you detect' date=' so its easier to determine the exact amount of information D/A provides). We don't really have official examples for it applied to normal senses. I know when I was thinking about things I had to keep reminding myself that D/A is NOT Microscopic so it doesn't help you detect differences that are really small. One of the things I thought about is that our senses are Analog, and D/A would allow us to perceive difference of smaller wavelengths. Two reds that look identical to most people could be vastly different shades for someone with D/A. And depending on the SFX of abilities like Shapeshift I question if they would be able to match wavelengths specifically enough to fool a D/A user when the Shapeshifter lacks the ability to tell the difference himself. Some SFX I could see gaining that (Magic, some Mutant abilites, for instance) Others would have a much harder time convincing me (Tech-based, Skill-based, etc) But I will concede that I am applying logic to the game and that is not always the way the rules are written. Sometimes simplicity comes first.[/quote']

Good points and it doesn't help that Normal Senses are described as being "partially" Discriminatory by default. Its tough to determine D/A means in relation to normal senses.

Shapeshift works the same way mechanically whatever the SFX: it perfectly fools senses or sense groups. The user of shapeshift does not need to have the relevant senses. To that extent' date=' it matters not what adders or modifiers you pile on a sense - it can not sense that shapeshift is somehow wrong because the sense is fooled perfectly. I fully concede that makes no sense for certain varieties of shapeshift - in which case you build the shapeshift differently. Shapeshift (sight group) works fine even if the shapeshifter is sight blind.[/quote']

To clarify, I'm not attempting to contest what the rules say. But its like nails on the chalkboard for me, one of the few absolutes in the system and I find it jarring where it butts up against "realism". It's not a major issue but one person pet peeve is another obsessive nitpicking.

Maybe Shapeshift should be conceived differently. The Power doesn't necessarily fool senses but truly changes sensory output to something else and it can't be perceived through because there's nothing more to perceive. Only when trying to perfectly mimic something else is their a chance of the Power failing (barring the Imitation Adder). Of course that leaves the issue of what it takes to "actually" change shape as in surface topography and the question of how does a character replicate sensory output they've never (or even can't) experience. But that could be relegated to plot device.

Good points and it doesn't help that Normal Senses are described as being "partially" Discriminatory by default. Its tough to determine D/A means in relation to normal senses.

To clarify, I'm not attempting to contest what the rules say. But its like nails on the chalkboard for me, one of the few absolutes in the system and I find it jarring where it butts up against "realism". It's not a major issue but one person pet peeve is another obsessive nitpicking.

Maybe Shapeshift should be conceived differently. The Power doesn't necessarily fool senses but truly changes sensory output to something else and it can't be perceived through because there's nothing more to perceive. Only when trying to perfectly mimic something else is their a chance of the Power failing (barring the Imitation Adder). Of course that leaves the issue of what it takes to "actually" change shape as in surface topography and the question of how does a character replicate sensory output they've never (or even can't) experience. But that could be relegated to plot device.

That is how it works, which is what I've been saying. "A character with Shape Shift can change his form as perceived by one or more Sense Groups." As to "surface topography" that would be the Touch Group. You'll notice may characters who actually change shape buy Shape Shift for Sight and Touch.

Maybe using an example other than Sight will help you out. A well known hero is known to track by smell (like Wolverine) so on the way to a robbery someone who can alte their body chemistry uses their Shape Shift Smell/Taste Group power to change their scent. Your character with Analyze on his Scent/Taste walks by him in a crowd. You are suggesting that your character should have the chance to Smell the fact that someone near him is Shape Shifted.

Or a blind DareDevil clone has Discrimanatory on his Touch. He should be able to tell by Touch that someone is using Shape Shift (Touch and Sight) to change their cheekbone structure to mess with facial recognition software? He isn't imitating another person.

That is how it works' date=' which is what I've been saying. "A character with Shape Shift can change his form as perceived by one or more Sense Groups." As to "surface topography" that would be the Touch Group. You'll notice may characters who actually change shape buy Shape Shift for Sight and Touch.[/quote']

The Powers write up and category make it seems "illusionary" not an actual change. At least that's the impression I and most others I've talked to about it get. Yes, the Touch sense group is supposed to be "actual shape change" but it feels kludgy given the rest of the Power (You could make a character that can just their texture, not their shape at all. That would be Touch as well) or just change their shape (like Plastic Man and similar malleable characters.

I think I'd like to see the ability broken up. Call "Shapeshift" as it stands now something else and make shape Shift a discrete Power that does what it says.* Seems cleaner and more intuitive than the current set up.

*Of course, certain sense sfx could still be fooled on a situational basis.

I think you are confusing yourself by tying SFX to the power. It can be illusory, but is not so by default. To actually change shape you need Sight and Touch. Done. Nothin Illusory about it.

EDIT: Your interpretation as SS as "illusory" seems more based on your house rule about being able to perceive it than anything in the discription of the Power. As to your comment about SS brig an Absolute, so is invisibility and Darkness, do you have the same problem with them?