Modern Action Hero adventure seed-

Guest Celt

Headline emulates the pages of Alistair MacLean - Russian ship with 700 tons of gold ore missing

MOSCOW (AP) — A vessel with a nine-person crew and 700 tons of gold ore onboard has gone missing in stormy seas off Russia's Pacific Coast.

The ship sent a distress call on Sunday as it was sailing from the coastal town of Neran to Feklistov Island in the Sea of Okhotsk.

The vessel, hired by mining company Polymetal, was carrying 700 tons of gold ore from one deposit to another where it was to be processed. Gold ore is the material from which gold is extracted and contains only a small percentage of the precious metal.

Polymetal's spokesman on Monday would not estimate the value of the cargo.

The company said it has shipped ore via that route before, and there was nothing unusual in shipping it by the sea.

Re: Modern Action Hero adventure seed-

Real life events often make for the basis of story ideas. I often imagin my chairacter and his team dealing with rl crisis isues in the news. Sometimes in our stories it works out where we creat the scenerio and it happens in rl afterwards. I can think of a few scenerios that could happen to a 700 ton gold ore tanker. Imagine how many scavanger divers are there in the area trying to find and claim any wreckage.

Still when you say 700 tons does sound like alot and would be tempting to someone who didnt know better. Remember criminals arnt typicly that bright to begain with . They always end up getting caught.

700 tons of ore sounds like a lot' date=' but it doesn't amount to much. Typical concentrations of gold in ore run from 1 to 5 parts per million. That shipment of ore might be worth $200k.

• 2 weeks later...

Think levels within levels- is there a rare ore that occurs predominantly with gold? So initially people think 'Hey, 700 tons isn't that much, these much be some dumb criminals'. Then they run into elite mercs and thieves which are way out of proportion to what they thought was just a silly crime.

Perhaps in a world of spies and highly clasified commando units perhaps a good story would be the ore tanker was carying more then just gold ore. A good scenerio would play off the fact that it was comeing from Russia. What would potentialy be snuck out of Russia? Maybe a nuke or other weapons?

I am recalling a somewhat baroque plot arc in my old Space:1889 game, involving a Russian fur-trading company in Alaska. It was secretly run by the Okrana, salvaging gold from a thousand-year-old Chinese shipwreck and smuggling the gold (in the fur crates) across America and the Atlantic into central Asia to finance a move on India.