Snippets

Greywind

Thanks. Helps my sanity.

--------------------------

Who are you?”

My name, Dr. Tyler, is Arthur Kayne.” Kris' eyes narrowed. “I see you've heard of me. I am not here to do harm, Dr. Tyler. Quite the contrary, actually. I realize you can raise the alarm. I won't stop you.”

Arthur walked steadily, but as if he were carrying a heavy load. His cane tapped in time with his steps. He stopped by Marlene's bed. “I am sorry, dear lady, for the heartache that I have caused you. Here at the end of things I have to wonder if any of it was really worth it.” His hand reached out, but he never touched her. “Pregnant?” He allowed himself a small smile. “Really now. I didn't expect that.”

He turned his attention to the second bed. “Hello, dear girl. 'Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.' I did not realize what would happen, Angelique. I only hoped you would rise to the occasion.” He lifted his eyes from Angelique. “Hello, Charlemagne.”

She's dying, Old Man.”

I know. Here, now, at the end of things, I pray I can make some restitution for some of the things I have done. When I am done, Charlemagne, I will need your chair.”

Arthur began mumbling to himself. He pressed his hand against Angelique's chest. Her eyes opened. Something smoke-like passed his lips and came through his eyes and entered Angelique. When the exchange was done he wobbled. Charley held him easily and helped him into the chair.

What did you do?” Kris asked. She checked the monitors attached to Angelique. All the readings were getting stronger.

A life, doctor, for a life. Maintaining the balance, as it were. I am sorry, for what it is worth, for the pain I caused you.”

Kris bit back the retort that threatened.

Daniel Thomas stared at the stylized P and flaming W icon of Project Wildfire that had replaced Jason Scott when he had disconnected the video call. Information was always a useful bargaining chip and one he preferred to never have to give up. Capwell had given him a few free bites and he could only wonder where and how Bauer had managed to get hold of two Black Sharks.

Jason listed almost every airfield in California wanting to know how a Russian-made helicopter could fly over American airspace undetected. He had ideas, but sharing wasn't really in his nature. He wished he had more, hell, any control over Jason. Trying to exert any could very well have the Guardians blow up in his face. It was better for him and for Wildfire to keep them as allies.

It was time for him to get some advice.

Anderson, Sharon.” He waited while the computer made the connection.

Daniel,” she said in greeting when the connection was made.

Hello, Sharon. I need your help dealing with a problem.”

If I can. What's the problem?”

It isn't a what, Sharon. It's a who.”

Sharon's eyes narrowed and threatened to burn a hole through him. “I don't deal with those types of problems any longer, Daniel. You know that.”

Relax, Sharon. It isn't a wetwork solution that I'm looking for.”

Oh. Who is the problem, then?”

Jason Scott.” Sharon's eyes shifted to the side. “Sharon, your eyes? You can see again?”

Yes, Daniel.”

How?”

Sharon focused on his image again. “Let's just say Santa decided I had been a very good girl.”

You aren't going to tell me.”

Good guess. What's the problem with Jason?”

He wants some information.”

Which you loathe the idea of handing out without getting something useful in return.”

Something like that. He's threatening to withdraw from Wildfire. He's threatening to talk to Kendall to have him withdraw.”

Sharon shook her head. “Entirely possible he could do it. Jason despises you, Daniel. He sees you, at best, as a necessary evil. Just barely crossing the line into the necessary part. Wildfire has put a foot wrong with several nations. The only thing that keeps you from putting a foot wrong in ours is Alan.”

I don't know why he doesn't like me. I have such a sparkling personality,” he said dryly.

You referred to two of his closest friends as 'assets' while trying to take them back into custody. It goes downhill from there. What is it that he wants?”

Did you see the news? The tour bus on the Pacific Highway?”

Yes,” she answered.

The helicopter was targeting Scott and Capwell. His assessment was that is was a Black Shark. Capwell says that Bauer has two in his possession.”

How did one of those end up flying over California?” she asked.

And that is what Scott wants to know.”

Do you know?”

Daniel nodded. “Theories and conjecture based on a contact inside Nova Research.”

It isn't what you want to hear, Daniel, but tell him what you know and what you think. It might just push you a little further into 'necessary' in Jason's mind.” The screen went blank and was once again filled with the Wildfire icon.

The mood in the house was somber. After the ambulance had taken Ben they had migrated to Warren's. Mary and Jennie weren't ready to deal with Ben's absence in the house. Everyone's minds were turned to their own memories of the man.

Jennie sat on the couch between Marlene and Leah. Leah had an arm around her. From time to time tears would roll down Jennie's face.

Mary sat in Warren's recliner rocking Aaron. Every once in a while, the boy would call out “Pa”. In the kitchen, Warren tended dinner. He held his wife when he wasn't otherwise occupied. Kris and Ash sat at the table nursing cups of coffee.

Warren felt Kate shiver at the same moment he did. “Great.”

“What's wrong?” Mary asked.

Kris and Ash looked at each other. “Draft,” Warren answered. “Need to find out where it is coming from.”

“Warren, go find Jason, please,” Marlene said quietly.

“He's probably out in the barn,” Warren said.

“Warren.” Jennie shifted off Leah when Leah let go of her.

“Yeah?”

“Open the door.” Electricity crackling around her, Leah flew at the door. In a burst of speed, Warren held it open for her. He watched as she gained altitude.

“What's wrong?” he asked.

Marlene answered him. “That wasn't a draft.”

Leah flew. At times the falling snow blinded her. She didn't know where Jason was. She only knew that he was somewhere in the direction she was heading. Leah had no idea how far out she had flown. All she had was a sense of urgency.

She flew lower. A tugging sensation told her she was near. Leah slowed. Below her Jason lay on his side, his back to the wind and snow blowing over him. She landed, finding herself sink to her knees in the powder.

“Honey,” she said, “next time do this in the daylight and not in the middle of a blizzard.” Leah knelt beside him. She checked him as best she could. His breathing was shallow and his pulse was weak.

Her hand went to her ear. “Damn it.” She fished her phone out of a pocket. Leah called Kate. “I found him.”

“Where?” Leah raised her hand and sent a blast into the sky. “Warren said he could hardly see it.”

“He's not going to be running out here. The snow is too deep. I'm going to need help. He's not wearing his coat.”

“So how do we get him back here?” Warren asked.

“What about those plastic sleds from when we were kids?” Jennie tossed out. “Dad used to pull us on the tractor. I think they're still tied together.”

Trese smiled. “Right idea, Jen. Wrong plan.” She looked at Dani. “You ready to try something new?”

Dani pulled her sweater off to reveal the top of her Hellfire uniform. “You're kidding,” Ash said.

“Extra layer of insulation and I'm not burning my sweater, jeans or socks. Warren, the rest of my...” Warren held her boots and glasses out to her. “Thanks,” she said, shucking off her jeans and socks. Pulling on her boots, she asked, “What's your plan, Red?”

Trese grinned and pulled on her coat. “Kate, tell Leah to give us a heading every so often.”

“This I've got to see,” Ash said as everyone trailed out the door behind Trese.

“Trese,” she turned to look at Marlene. “Bring him back.”

“We will,” Trese assured her.

Closing her eyes, Trese let her power out. She sat. She felt the wings extend to either side. The wind stopped stinging her face when the fuselage formed.

“I don't know, Red. I don't think I can carry all this.”

“You're only carrying me and I'll be helping this time.”

“Where do I go?” Dani asked.

“See the grips in the middle? Grab those. Once we get going I will close the bottom and you provide the thrust.”

Warren looked at what Trese had formed. It was somewhere between a hang glider and a sea plane. “How did you come up with this?”

“An idea that I had. Jason and I have been fiddling with it. Ready?”

“Yeah,” Dani said. “I guess.”

“I'm sorry about the fence.”

“It's okay,” Warren told Trese. “When the sun is up and the weather clears you can help fix it.”

“Sounds fair,” Trese said. “Still have some things to work out on the idea. The rocket sled back worked except where we went through the fence.”

“Twice,” Leah added.

Kris' boots sounded on the stairs and all eyes turned to her before she came into view. Warren poured coffee into her cup. He set it in front of her as she took her seat.

“What's the prognosis?” Ash asked.

“Thanks,” Kris said to Warren. Looking at Ash, she said, “I don't have a clue. I've never seen him like this before.”

“I have,” Dani said quietly. “When Sandy died.”

“But he never made one of those...things with Ben,” Mary said.

“'Power binds',” Leah whispered.

Kate looked at her. “What was that?”

“Something... Something Jason said to me once. When he made my first stone. He said, 'Power binds. Mine more than most.' He was linked to Ben through touch and his power.”

“When Sandy died,” Dani explained, “he held on to her. Trying to will her to stay with him. To survive. He almost followed her.”

“Jason disconnected us after we said our goodbyes,” Ash said. “I assume it was ease the load.”

“What if... What if dad disconnected before Jason was able to?” Jen asked.

“Did he say what he wanted?”

“Us,” Marlene said. “He'll let us know when we see him. Worried?”

“What's the term? 'Called on the carpet'?” Beth said.

Marlene smiled. “Relax. You've barely started. He isn't going to toss you out.”

They came to where Marlene's desk was. “Looks like his secretary is out,” she said. “We'll just have to let ourselves in.”

“...Hasn't been in contact with me since he left to help you,” Charles said. “Ah, girls. Daniel, if you'll excuse me for a moment.” He turned his attention to Beth. “Finding your way around?”

“Yes, sir,” Beth answered. “Charles,” she amended when he raised a brow.

“Good girl. And how is everything?”

“Orientation is done. Human Resources is done with me. At least until they find another hundred forms or so that I need to fill out.” Charles smiled. “I've been weighed, measured, fitted for three dresses. That's just the last three days.”

“Oh, but the shopping was fun,” Marlene teased. She slipped a couple of files in front of Charles. “I ran a highlighter over where you need to make your marks. I'll collect them later.”

“Actually, that was why I wanted to see you. Once Director Thomas and I are done, I'll be heading over to R&D. So let Missy know I won't be home for dinner.”

“Make sure you eat,” Marlene said.

“Yes, dear. Could you take care of this for me? I would like it resolved before Jason gets back. Then you ladies can have a long weekend. I don't expect to see Jason before Monday.” He handed Marlene a closed zippered binder.

“Yes, Charles. I will see to it,” she said with a smile. “Let's go,” she said to Beth, heading towards the door.

“So, you do expect to see him,” Thomas said.

“No. I said I don't expect to see him before Monday,” the girls heard before Beth pulled the door closed.

“So, unexpected long weekend. What do we do with ourselves?” Beth asked.

“Grab your things and we head to the house.”

Jacksonville NC:

“I can't believe she lives there!”

“You're judging,” Beth said. “She has to live somewhere.”

“I know. I'm not judging her. I'm judging that...that...apartment building,” Marlene said. “It violates almost every code of human decency.”

Beth rested her elbow on the door and buried her fingers in her raven hair. “I think that after her sister disappeared she fell on difficult times.”

“I know,” Marlene said quietly. “More than likely her life is about to change.”

“Kari? Kari Tyler?” Marlene called.

The girl came to the counter. “Now's not a good time. I'm working.”

“Tyler! Back on the line!” someone called out.

Kari turned to head back to the fryer. “It's about Kristina.” Kari stopped in her tracks.

“Tyler!”

Hard-faced, Kari turned back to Marlene and Beth. Voice trembling, she asked, “What about Kris?”

“Tyler! Back to work!”

“They want to talk to me about my sister!”

“She's dead. Get used to the idea and get your ass back to work!”

Kari glared at the woman giving her orders. She took her cap off and dropped it on the floor. Kari then stripped off her over shirt and it joined the cap. “I quit, bitch!” She climbed over the counter. “Never liked working here anyway,” she said.

“Let's go some place quiet where we can talk,” Marlene said.

“Who are you?”

“My name is Marlene Palmer. I work for Charles Scott.”

“The industrialist?”

“Yes. We are here at his behest. Actually, at the behest of Jason Scott.” Marlene smiled up at the waitress while she poured the coffee.

“Do you know what you want?” she asked.

“Club sandwich with fries,” Marlene replied.

“Sounds good,” Beth said, closing her menu.

“Two club sandwiches with fries,” the server noted. “And for you?”

“Burger and fries.”

“I will get it taken care of,” she said collecting the menus. Marlene smiled her thanks.

“What's that have to do with Kris?”

Beth glanced at Marlene. “Right now she's in Colorado. Not too far from Denver.”

“She's been found? When? Where?”

“Easy,” Marlene cautioned. “We can't go into all the details. We don't actually know all the details. She was found and Jason took her into his care.”

“Care? Is she alright? What...what happened to her?” Marlene opened the brief she had carried in and pulled out a photograph. She passed it to Kari. Kari stared at it for a long time. Tears slipped from her eyes. “She's got wings,” she said quietly.

“Yes,” Marlene said.

“I knew they did something to her. My back hurt for months. The doctors couldn't find anything wrong with me. Chiropractors didn't help. Nothing. I knew it was her!”

Beth asked, “How did you know?”

“Kris and me, we're symptomatic twins. We know when the other one feels something intense. Like pain.”

“Sympathetic,” Marlene corrected.

“Yeah, that. When can I see her?”

“Well,” Marlene said with a smile, “we're going to eat lunch. Then we're going to take you to your...”

“Apartment,” Beth added, elbowing Marlene.

“Apartment. You can pack what you need and we head to the airport. Hop on a private plane. Fly to Denver International. Steal a company car and drive to where Kris is. That work for you?” Marlene asked, smiling.

Kari was the first to finish eating.

Sitting on the glider, coffee in her cup long since gone cold, Mary waited for the dawn. The first of many sleepless nights to come. It was still snowing, but the wind had died down. The snow came down more or less straight with a few swirls here and there. She hoped to catch a glimpse of the sun before it rose above the clouds.

The doors creaked open and Jason stepped out. He had a blanket wrapped around his shoulders. Closing the doors quietly, his steps were slow and uncertain as he crossed the porch. Stopping at the top of the steps, Jason leaned against the post.

“You aren't planning on wandering off into the snow again?” Mary asked quietly.

“Good morning,” Jason said with a pained smile. “No. I was in a dark place. I needed to see some light.”

“Sun isn't up yet. No guarantee we'll see it. How do you feel?”

“Shaky,” he answered.

“Why don't you come sit?” With some effort, Jason removed himself from the post and shuffled across the porch. “You should have put your coat on.”

“Left it at your place,” he said, settling onto the glider.

Mary watched him for a moment. “I figured you'd still be in bed with your women. All four of them.” Jason gave her a questioning glance. “Ben told Leah to take care of you. Then he told Marlene to take care of you and her girl. And the one Angelique conjured up. Sandy?”

“I wish I had seen her,” he said quietly. “I only have...dreams of her. Marlene wrapped herself around Leah when I extricated myself.”

Mary smiled. “You know you're going to have a daughter.” Jason nodded. “How?”

“I was granted...a gift, I guess. I saw her. With Aaron. They were at the lake. She was playing Sandy's guitar. He was skipping rocks.” Jason pulled the blanket closer. Mary saw his hands shake.

“Christmas is going to be difficult,” Mary said quietly.

Jason reached for Mary's hand and held it gently. “It doesn't have to be. It'll hurt and the hole will be there, but we'll all gather. We'll remember Ben. Warren will pick up for him and carry on the family traditions. We'll tell stories and share laughs.”

“You held on while we said our goodbyes to him. Did you get to say your own?”

Jason shook his head. “Not until after he was gone.”

“Okay,” Ash said. “Dinner is done. Jason has us all sitting here drooling over it. You said you'd tell us why we're having a dinner. So, isn't it time now?”

Marlene smiled. “Of course it is.”

“So what's the occasion?” Trese asked. Taking an envelope from her lap, Marlene passed it to Trese. “What's this?” she asked.

“You could open it and find out, Red,” Dani said. “Just a thought.”

Trese cast an annoyed looked at Dani. The flap was sealed with a blob of wax. Trese studied the impression for a moment. “Charles,” she said quietly. She slipped a finger under the flap and forced the seal. Inside was a single sheet. Trese unfolded it and began reading. Tears formed and spilled down her cheeks as she read. “It's done? Finally?”

Standing at the head of the table, Jason unrolled a scroll and began reading. “Let it be known across the lands, from this day forward, Theresa Lynn Gardner is recognized as one of my legal heirs and entitled to the Scott name. Along with the rights, privileges, and responsibilities bearing the name requires. Signed Charles Layton Scott.”

Jason rolled the scroll closed. “Congratulations, Trese. I can no longer, officially, toss you out of the house.”

“I don't know what to say,” she said quietly. The others cheered and clapped.

Timidly tapping at the door, Trese waited. “Come in,” Marlene called. Trese opened the door.

“Wow. Claimed the biggest and best for himself.” She closed the door behind her.

“Thanks,” Marlene said sarcastically. She was sitting at a vanity brushing her hair. “I'd hardly call myself the biggest. Yet. Give it a few more months.”

Smiling at her, Trese said, “That's not what I meant. I was talking about the room.”

“Well, he did pay to have it built. And it is, technically, still his.”

Trese gave her a questioning look. “What's that supposed to mean?”

Grinning, Marlene said, “You'll just have to wait and find out. What's on you mind?”

Moving behind Marlene, Trese reached for the brush. Marlene relinquished it. “What happens now?”

“What do you want to happen now?”

Running the brush through Marlene's hair, Trese asked, “What changes?”

“Everything and nothing,” Marlene responded.

“Thanks. That's clear as mud.” Marlene laughed. “That doesn't make me feel any better.”

Marlene held her hand out. “Brush.” Trese handed it over. Marlene got up. “My turn. Sit.” Trese sat in the vacated chair. Marlene began pulling the brush through Trese's hair. “You have the responsibility to the name, to the family, and to the company. The same responsibility you had before I handed you that envelope. So, in that manner, nothing changes. Legally, Jason has obligations to you. That's changed. But at the same time you've seen how he's dealt with you since that day he picked you up in that bar.”

Trese smiled at the memory. “Best thing that had happened since my mom died.”

“That commonality is one of the things that binds you and Jason. Signing those papers was the final act Jason had as his father's representative. Jason carried out Charles' wishes where you are concerned with no thought about how it might affect him. Because it was what his father wanted for you. It was what Jason wanted for you.”

“So, do I become Theresa Lynn Scott? Theresa Lynn Gardner-Scott? Theresa Lynn Scott-Gardner?”

Marlene shrugged. “That's up to you.”

“What would Jason think if I didn't use the name?”

“Jason won't care,” he said coming out of the bathroom. “What matters to Jason is that you're family. You are and have been. Any concerns that you have, or that may come up, we can deal with as needed.” Trese stood and came to him. “Crying?”

“Happy tears,” she said. She slipped her arms about him. Jason held her close. “Claimed the best room for yourself?”

“Kris' is about the same size,” he said.

“Kris needs room for her wings. What now?”

“We were getting ready for bed,” Marlene said.

“I should go, then.”

“No reason to rush off if you still want to talk,” Marlene told her.

Dani tapped at the door. When Marlene said “Come in”, Dani turned the knob and stepped inside. “Harrumph.”

“What's wrong?” Marlene asked quietly.

“I came to see what was taking her so long. I didn't expect to find her in bed with the two of you,” Dani said just as quietly.

“We were talking. She fell asleep.”

“And Jason just happened to wrap himself around her like that.”

Marlene chuckled. “He's just holding her.” She shifted a little closer to Trese and lay on her back. She flipped the covers a bit. “Come on. Room for you, too. I know how you don't like sleeping alone.”

Smiling, Dani slid in beside Marlene. “Thanks.” She put her arm over Marlene and snuggled her. “Hey! Was that...?”

“Yeah,” Marlene said, smiling all the more.

“Cool. Any idea what you're having?”

“Not interested in finding out until it pops out.”

“I bet it's a girl.” Marlene turned her back to Dani and Dani settled in closer.

“Don't get any ideas.”

“Too late. Already had them. I've had them for years.”

Godson knelt at the corner of a building watching his charges play in an empty lot. It had felt good to him to be able to use his speed. To do something that helped the people around him and maybe hinder the enemy. The supply depot had been a good start, but the monitors and Tharians would push back. Sooner or later.

The ball the children were playing with bounced towards him and he batted it back with an open palm. A loud whistle pierced the air and drew Godson's attention. Looking up he saw the watcher signal. “Sooner,” he said to himself, signaling acknowledgment to the watcher above.

Standing up, he brushed his hands off on his pants. “Back in a bit, kids,” he told the children. He set off at a brisk pace. Not quite running.

Moving through the market stalls, Kira kept an eye out for items easily missed by the vendors and for others like herself, who might make those items disappear. When the noise started at the other end of the street, she turned and watched the monitors and their war machine deploy from their transport.

The machine stood at the end of the market street while the monitors moved through the stalls, shoving vendors out of their way, scattering goods, searching.

Kira realized that this was something that Doc and Jason would want to know about. She ran.

“We got trouble,” Godson said upon entering the clinic. “A squad of the purple from the west.”

“Monitors in the market!” Kira announced breathlessly. “They got a war machine with them. They're searching the stalls.”

“Color?” Godson asked.

“Blues, I think.”

“Santa Monica and Inglewood,” Kris said.

“How many hostiles?” Jason went over the mental map he had of the area.

Godson said, “Seven to a squad. Infantry armor and blasters. One warstar with the blues. No idea if the purps have one with them.”

“Warstar?”

“Yeah, big fugly looking thing.”

“He knows what they are. We had one on the Guardians.” Kris looked at Jason. “We lost him in New York.”

“Assume they're tossing the market for evidence from the depot. What else can we expect?”

“After the market, they'll turn their attention to the people and the living areas,” Kris said. “We need to hide you.”

Three monitors entered the clinic. Two bracketed the door with their backs to the wall, keeping any who might be curious at a distance. Two of the monitors that entered moved deeper and began opening cupboards. The fifth one turned their attention to Kris.

“Records.” Kris handed over a data chip. The monitor slotted it into their armor and passed Kris a new one. The armor was gloss black with a splash of purple on the left shoulder. The face plate was golden yellow.

“Crawlers.” Four spider-like machines came through the door. One on each wall, one on the ceiling, and one on the floor, began moving deeper into the clinic, following the two monitors.

The monitor dealing with Kris took note of the sketchbook on the table. Their hand went to the cover and seemed to caress it.

“That's mine,” Godson said, taking a step forward. The monitor snapped its baton up less than an inch from Godson's face. The tip glowing blue. Godson put his hands up and took a step back.

Kris noted from the corner of her eye that the crawler on the floor stopped on top of the hidden compartment where Jason was hidden. “Nothing here, Commander,” one of the monitors said coming back through the clinic.

The commander nodded. “Move on to the next. Your data chip, Doctor,” they said, passing Kris another. “Crawlers, out.” The one on the floor was the last to leave.

“Don't you want to know how long?” Godson asked.

“A little over five hours,” Jason replied. “Counting heartbeats isn't exactly accurate, but will keep you in the ballpark.”

Kris stared at the two data chips she left on the table. “I don't like it. One of the crawlers stopped right above where you were.”

“Why two chips?” Godson asked.

“I don't know.” She picked one up. “This one looks like any other they've picked up on their rounds. I assume they got it early on account they just happened to be in the area. This one,” she picked up the second, “has a slight purple mark on the outer edge.”

“What are they used for?” Jason asked.

“Medical records. It's one of the ways the check on the population.”

Jason shifted the curtain slightly and looked out. “Did anyone get hurt?”

“Gummer got his arm broke. They thought he was trying to hide contraband. It turns out he had a couple of snack bars. He wouldn't say where he got them from,” Godson said.

Jason's chin dropped to his chest and he let the curtain fall closed. “Catch.” He pitched underhanded to Godson, appearing a protein bar in his hand.

Examining it, Godson said, “Probably go for a small fortune. How many do you have?”

“A couple of cases.”

“You have my favorite?” Kris asked grinning. Jason handed her one taking the data chip from her.

Turning it over he saw a brand etched into it. “The Japanese still make electronics. How does it work?

“It slots into a reader,” Kris mumbled around her bar. “Just like slotting a flash drive. Memory runs a lot higher than you're used to.”

“So we make the assumption that this one is for your clinic. We just need to figure out what that one,” he pointed at Kris' hand, “is for.”

“You have an idea?” she asked, wiping a crumb from her lip.

“Would you believe me if I said I did?” asked Jason. Kris smiled. “Let me see that one. Do you have a reader?”

“Godson, the red one. It isn't linked,” Kris explained.

“If the readers are linked why do they pick up the chips?”

Kris shrugged. “Confirmation? A way to mingle with the general population? Who knows.” Godson handed her the red reader and she slotted the chip. “Biometrics online.” She put her thumb on the blue box and looked into the small optical scanner. “And access denied.”

Jason held his hand out. “Let me try.”

The commander of the Monitors from Santa Monica stood on the stage of what was left of the Orpheum Theater. One of the crawlers had gone offline fourteen minutes earlier. “You're in the building. I know you are there. Come to where I can see you.”

A shadow detached itself from the catwalks and rigging. An old pulley rattled and the rope that ran through it buzzed. A heavy weight hit the stage.

“I said let me see you.”

Jason pulled his hood down. He stepped closer. The commander's hand went reflexively to the baton holstered against a thigh.

“Hello, Trese.” The commander detached the helmet from the armor. Trese's left eye was white and held a soft glow. The skin on that side of her head was all scar tissue. There was gray in her red hair. “I had a hard time finding you.”

“It's the eye,” she explained. “A gift from an old Indian of our acquaint. It makes it hard for anyone to find me.”

“Specifically me and someone a lot like me.” Trese nodded. “What happened?”

Trese turned her head away to hide the scars. “Friendly fire incident. Dani burned me when she died.”

Jason reached out and touched her chin, turning her head back. “You hid enough scars from me for one lifetime.”

“How did you know it was me?”

Jason chuckled. “Purple on the armor. Purple on the chip. Having my fingerprints and retinal scan handy. The broken chessboard from a poster of Chess. Along with the seat numbers where you saw it for the first time.”

Trese looked out over the broken seats. “You, me, and Dani. How did you get here?”

“Temporal kidnapping courtesy of Kris and Melner. Why didn't you ever tell Kris where you were?”

“I kept an eye on her as best I could. The Praetor was afraid that she would spearhead a rebellion. Be their figurehead. I didn't want to endanger her with what I was doing. I figured she would be there if my plans ever advanced far enough.” Trese turned back to him. “I figured they were starting when the depot was robbed. That was you.”

“Yes.”

“And you're storing all those supplies for later.”

“Give it a few months or years and no one would be looking for the stuff. Or it would end up somewhere else. Somewhere the people could use it.”

“Are you planning on escalating things?”

“I'm going to do what I can until I can arrange for a trip home. When that happens I will keep an eye out to keep this from ever happening.”

Trese's helmet beeped. “I need to go.”

“Trese,” she looked up at Jason. Without saying anything her hand went behind his head and pulled him down into an open-mouthed kiss. When she lowered her forehead to his chest, he said, “That would have been more enjoyable without the armor in the way.”

Smiling a bittersweet smile, Trese said, “You were always a gentleman with me. Never being inappropriate.”

“That isn't entirely true. There was a night, not too long ago to me, that was entirely inappropriate.”

“I never forgot. It was little things like that that made me realize that, while he looks like you, the Praetor isn't you.” Trese walked across the stage, disappearing into the shadows behind it.

“How do I get in touch with you?”

“You don't. It's safer that way. For both of us.”

“I like this one,” Trese said admiring her reflection in the tri-fold mirror. She turned from side to side watching how the dress moved.

“You can keep it,” Marlene said generously. “I never liked how it looked on me. Not my preferred colors.”

Beth watched Trese. “That's because you're such a Spring-Summer girl. Pastels, greens, floral prints are more your thing.”

“Anything else you going to try on, Red?”

“Nope. This one is good,” Trese stated.

“How about you, Beth? Anything you want to try on?” Dani asked.

Beth gave Dani a bored look. “Hoping to see me naked?” Dani grinned.

“Careful, Beth. I may just institute an official skinny dipping night,” Marlene teased.

“You would.”

From the bedroom, Tara called out. “Trese?”

“In here, Tara. We're hiding in the dressing room.” Trese turned and looked at her reflections over her shoulder.

Tara came through the open door. “Whoa. That's a lot of dresses.”

“Something wrong?” Marlene asked.

“I don't know. Security called. A Burton Fowler showed up at the front desk about an hour ago wanting to see Trese. He had a lawyer with him. When they put his name in the system it flagged security and they called me.”

Trese looked at the floor. “Trese?”

Trese exhaled. “I'm fine.” She looked at Dani. “I'm fine. I should have realized he wouldn't stay under his rock forever.”

“Oh, god,” Beth said while laughing. “I thought I was going to lose it. I expected him to piss himself right then and there!”

“What happened?” Dani asked.

Marlene was grinning. “I asked him what it was that he wanted. He said he just wanted what Trese owed him.”

“Keep in mind,” Beth added, “that throughout the whole meeting to that point, Jason hadn't said a word. He stared at Fowler the entire time. Then he's all 'Mr. Fowler, I would be more than happy to personally give you everything that Theresa owes you with interest.”

I didn't believe her when Sharon said you'd be sitting in,” Dan Thomas said.

At least disbelieving her is not the same thing as calling her a liar,” Jason said. “I placed a bet. I lost. I'm here paying off. One adviser at your service.”

We limited the access this time around, son. Just in case,” Charles said.

Thomas seated himself. “Can we get started?” Everyone took a chair around the table. “This is Cheryl Danforth. She'll be in command of one squad.” She nodded. Her skin was the color of mocha. Blue eyes gave a hint of mixed parentage. “This is Max Spears. He'll be running one of the other squads.” Jason looked the man over and was left with the impression the man was a weasel. Jason couldn't shake it. Spears merely stared at Jason.

A quick get you up to speed, so...Jason,” he corrected himself. “This is the coordinates of the site. Satellite imaging on the left.”

Canada,” Jordan said. “Alberta. Rockies. Isolated. Cold.”

Smiling, Charles said, “I do hope you've got that ride of yours well insulated.”

Brand new heaters,” Jordan said with a grin.

Jason's fingers started tapping on the keyboard. “What are you doing?” Thomas asked.

He's about to show you why I wanted him involved from the outset, Daniel. You recognize the place, don't you, son?”

It's nice that you decided to do this at the office,” Jason said. A list of files lit up on a wall panel. Scrolling through them, Jason selected one. “I spent a month up there after the Sci-Tech acquisition shutting them down.” He pointed out a folder, clicked on it and it opened to display the ground layout. “While there I was also working on something of a personal project. You see the buildings, my diagram and the sat-scan. Voice command. Tell me Director, which building are you interested in?”

Thomas was silent for a moment, starting at Jason. “All of them eventually. What did Sci-Tech do there?”

List all projects at the time of closure.”

Jordan watched the list scroll. “Those are all biologicals. None of them should have been authorized due to human rights violations. Christ...”

It is Wainwright you're talking about, Jordan. Knowledge and science before any other concern,” Charles said. “Anyone that moved in would have some of the equipment that was too large to move or that we had no other use for.”

Wainwright wasted a lot of resources building labs to play in,” said Jordan.

Which was one of the reasons I was able to take it over. I just wish we had managed to arrest the bastard. You might want to fill him in on the squatters, Daniel.”

Launching herself from the roof of Spellbinder's townhouse, Kris' wings caught air with a loud snap. The evening was clear and cool. Pleasure derived simply from flying brought a smile to her lips and pushed the dark thoughts of the conversation she had had with Adalene from her mind.

“Alright, Mentor. Let's see what this thing can do.”

“As you wish. Primarily they are similar to the glasses the others wear. Polarized to assist against bright lights. Various other settings that range between low-light, infrared, and ultraviolet bands. There is a camera and your communications device also embedded in the goggles.”

“Which is why they tend to cover my ears?”

“Yes, and that, at need, they are also quite capable of extreme noise canceling.”

“Nice. Just the thing to wear to rock concerts,” Kris joked. “So why the upgrade? I'm a medic. Not a fighter.”

“My understanding is that with Sharon resuming a more active lifestyle, both Jason and Jordan had ideas about upgrading her equipment. They both felt that you would also benefit from new equipment even with you only being, as you imply, on the sidelines.

“Your bracers have monitors that you can use in emergency situations while in the field. They contain sensors for you to get bio readings. For instance, placement of your hand upon a body will give you their temperature within seconds.”

“Nice.”

“Also, they generate a localized bio-field that will act like surgical gloves at need.”

Turning her head from side to side, Kris noticed how the polarizing worked. “So what happens when it is done being needed?”

“Then the field will dissipate and any material on it at the time will simply fall to the ground, leaving your hands or gloves unstained,” Mentor explained.

“Cool, but might be some concern for clean up crews,” Kris mused.

“Noted,” Mentor said. “I will look into a controlled release system. Perhaps a vocal key.”

“Sounds good,” she said, soaring over the city. Her path meandered. Guardian's Tower, not the tallest building in the city, but one she knew intimately, was always a navigational beacon to Kris. Keeping that to her right she flew north, following the Hudson River.

A beep sounded. “What was that?”

“A warning sensor. It seems that you are being followed,” Mentor told her. Glancing around, Kris saw a helicopter in the distance. Enhanced telescopic view activated and narrowed on the helicopter. Seeing that it was a news crew with its camera pointed at her, Kris waved.

“Nothing to worry about, it seems,” she said with a laugh. “Are you my co-pilot?”

“At need. As long as no one starts running anything that requires my immediate attention, I will be monitoring your feed,” Mentor replied.

“Sounds good,” she repeated herself. “I think I am just going to enjoy some private time and fiddle with the new toys. Keep an eye on me. Just in case.”

“Always, Doctor.”

Kris soared and dove, turning on a whim, simply enjoying not having any demands on her time. She noticed the sun sinking to the west. “Time to head back,” speaking more to herself than to Mentor. She flew lower, closer to the buildings.

Something caught her attention. As she concentrated on it, once again the enhanced telescopic view engaged. She saw a black man climbing a fire escape to the roof of the building he was on, dragging a rope behind. Following the rope, Kris saw that it was attached to a small crate. “Curious.”

Upon reaching the roof the man threaded the rope through an old pulley and began tugging on it. The crate slowly made its way to the roof. Once it was there, the man carried it to what might have once been someone's pigeon coop. He passed through the door of it.

Curiosity got the better of her and she descended, snapping her wings out to ease her landing.

“I'm not doing anything wrong. The building manager lets me use this space.”

“Hi. I'm...”

“I know who you are. You're the bird lady from the tower,” he said. “I'm clean. I'm good with my parole officer. You got nothing on me.”

“Well, thanks for clearing all that up for me. Considering I only came down because I was curious. My name's Kris.”

He pulled folding chair out of the old coop and set it up. “My name's Roger.”

“Hello, Roger. What are you doing up here?”

Roger shrugged. “I come up here to think. Watch the city light up. Sometimes to write. Mostly to think. I'd offer you a seat, but this is the only chair.”

“The crate's fine to sit on, thanks.” Moving to it, she lifted herself up and slide back on it to sit. “What do you think about?”

Settling into his chair, Roger fished in the crate. Kris noted it was a bag of ice packed with beer cans. “Makes it easier to get back down. The cans are usually empty and I can scatter what's left of the ice and water on the roof. Want one?”

“Sure,” Kris said with a smile.

Roger handed her one. “Never thought I'd be drinking with a Guardian. I come up here and think. Think about my mistakes. Think about my son. Lucas.”

“Nice name. Where's he at?”

“Not really sure. After I went to prison his momma refused to let me know. She wouldn't come visit. Wouldn't bring him to see me. I got an early release. Good behavior. Even got myself a degree.” He popped the top of a can. “She sprung the kid on me after I got arrested. Knew she was pregnant, but knowing he was there changed something.”

Kris cracked her own can open. “Something for the better?” She took a swig.

“I'd like to think so.”

“What were you in for?”

Roger cocked his head and looked at her. “You honestly don't know? I was running in a gang that you Guardians rousted. Guns and drugs.”

“Must have been early on,” Kris said.

“Five and a half years. Lucas is six now. So, I did my time. Played it straight. Got educated. Now I got a piece of paper that reads that I got a Masters in Electrical Engineering. Only no one wants to hire a con.”

“Can I ask you, honestly? How serious are you about going straight?”

“You haven't been listening? I told you what I've been doing. I just can't find a job.”

Kris smiled and set her beer to the side. “How much do you know about me?”

“You got wings and can fly. You live in a glamorous high-rise. You're a doctor. I can only assume you're rich on top of it,” Roger said.

“Well off. Working towards the rich part. Do you know how I got these wings? Some evil bastards decided to kidnap me and experiment. I wasn't the only one.”

“I figured you were born with them.”

“No. I really didn't have a say in the matter. Before I was taken I was studying to be a doctor. Once I was able to get my head right I went back to pursuing that until it became a reality. I wanted to be a doctor because I wanted to help people. That's part of why I'm a Guardian.”

Roger looked down between his sneakers. “What's that got to do with me?”

“Maybe I can help. If you're serious.”

“I am.”

“Let me try?”

Roger was lost in thought for a few minutes. “Okay.” He nodded. “Okay, yeah. What do you need?”

Kris grinned. “First, got a copy of your resume?”

“Not handy, but I can get one quick.” Roger got up and headed towards the fire escape.

“You do that. I need to make a call.”

Turning to lower himself down the ladder, he said, “You're not pulling my leg? You're not gonna fly off while I'm gone?”

“Guardian's honor. I'll be here when you climb back up.” Nodding, Roger disappeared from sight. “Okay, oh genie of the information highway, how do I make a phone call on this thing?”

“The gauntlet interface,” Mentor said. “I have loaded it with your contacts from your phone. Or you can simply say 'call whomever' filling in the whomever with whomever you wish to call. Or at least state it in such a way so that I will know who it is you wish to speak with.”

“I see. Call Trese for me.”

“As you wish.”

Kris waited while the call went through. “Hey, Red.”

“Hey, Wings. What can I help you with?”

“Do you still have that outreach program for convicts?”

“Well, not exactly. It's under review. Entirely too many weren't really interested in the straight and narrow. They wanted an easy out. Why?”

“I've got a candidate. Can he be submitted?”

“Like I said, the whole program is under review. It's above my pay grade at the moment.”

“Gotcha.”

“Sorry. Want me to call him?”

“No. I'll take care of it. Thanks.”

“You're welcome. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.” Trese disconnected.

“Does that mean it's a wash?”

“Hey. Didn't hear you come back up. No. Just means I need to talk to someone else. Is that your resume?”

“Yeah.” Kris sensed a bit of dejection in his voice.

“Don't give up just yet.” Kris turned her attention to the wide band on her wrist. “Phone.” The screen lit up with her list of contacts and scrolled through them, tapping one, and waiting.

“Hello?” Jason answered.

“Hey! I have a question for you.”

“How is the new gear working out for you?”

“It's fine. Still getting used to the new bells and whistles. I talked to Red about the outreach program a few minutes ago.”

“It's on hold.”

Nodding, Kris said, “So Red informed me. Can I submit a candidate?”

“Kris...”

“Just consider him. I'll take it as a personal favor.” Jason was silent. “I will get all dressed up and come over so you can make me dinner again.” She grinned at Roger.

“Boyfriend?”

Kris shook her head. “Good friend.”

“It means that much to you?” Jason asked.

“Guardian's honor was sworn.”

“Is that above or below boy scout's honor?” Jason asked dryly.

“Above.”

“Do you have his resume?”

Kris held her hand out. “Resume, please.” Roger handed it to her. “What do I do now?” Kris heard a click from her goggles. “Did you just take a picture of it?”

“Yes. Now let me see him.” Kris looked at Roger and heard the click again. “I remember him.”

“Then you're doing better than I did.”

“Make sure you get his information. You're his contact.” Jason disconnected.

“Well...” Kris said quietly. “I assume the information on here is current?”

“Yes, ma'am.”

“Kris, Roger. I've got other people that ma'am me all day.” He grinned. “I assume that I have access to the pictures?

“Huh?”

“Yes,” Mentor answered her.

“Talking to someone else. Do you have a suit? Just in case.”

“No. Not one that fits anyway,” Roger said. “Not sure I can afford one right now.”

“Don't worry about it. For the time being you're my personal project. If I can get in touch with you through the number you have on here,” she indicated the resume, “then we can arrange to get you a suit that fits.”