Snippets

Greywind

Pulling the red Miata to the curb, Dani stopped and got out. She adjusted the jacket of her red pantsuit. Sunglasses covered her eyes. “Morning, boys,” she said to the group sitting on the steps. “One of you wouldn't happen to be Roger Johnson by any chance.”

“Hey, babe. You can roger my Johnson.” They all laughed.

“Typical. Sorry, but you couldn't handle all this hotness.”

“I think I could handle you just fine, Sweets.”

“I'd give you about two seconds before you were begging to let go,” Dani said smiling sweetly. “You don't want to step up to find out. Trust me, boys.”

“You clowns knock it off,” Roger said coming out the door.

“You Roger?” Dani asked.

“Yes, ma'am.”

Dani nodded. “She said you were polite. My credentials.” She held out a blue card with a pearlescent white dove in flight. Roger took it. “She said you can keep it. Something to remember the encounter by. Maybe an icon for you if things seem dark.”

“So what now?” Roger asked.

“Shopping trip. A new suit or two. Some shirts. Things that might help you out,” she said.

“You have a lovely smile,” Roger said.

“Thanks. Yours isn't bad, either. Shall we go?”

“You seem awfully trusting of someone you just met in this neighborhood.”

“A gentleman like yourself would step in if I were in any danger,” she said with a small curtsy. Roger laughed.

The light beside the door was green. There was no training session active. Ash cycled the release and walked in. She was mildly surprised to find that the program was still running. Water splashed beside the pier. The moon would hide behind the shifting clouds. All the myriad little sounds that one could not normally hear when the piers are active and people are working were available.

Ringer sat with one leg dangling off the pier. Her back was up against a piling. Ash watched her for a moment before crossing the distance.

“How did it go?” she asked. Ringer simply shook her head. Ash knelt. “How many times did you try?”

“Fifteen? Twenty? Mentor has all the results.”

“Mentor?”

“Ringer ran the scenario twenty-one times. Her high score was fifty with a total run time of six minutes and three seconds.”

“How many fatalities?”

Ringer dropped her head. “Twenty-one fatalities,” Mentor answered.

“I never had a chance,” Ringer said. “Even with my abilities, I never had a chance. He just wouldn't stop coming.”

“Now you know why I wanted you to stay here.”

“How did you guys do?”

Ash smiled. “We won. He's in custody. Wildfire is taking him to super max until his hearing. We recommended that it be a virtual courtroom. Keep him segregated and everyone else safe.”

“Any casualties?”

“Come on,” Ash said standing. She turned towards the door.

“What is that? It looks like a bacta tank.”

“Mask off,” Lisa told Jenny. Jenny pulled it off. Lisa pulled a glasses case from her coat pocket and handed them over.

“Thanks.” Jenny put her glasses on. Lisa handed her a bucket. “What's this for?”

“Just hold on to it for now,” Lisa said.

“What is all this?” Jenny asked.

Kris watched the monitor. “It's a protein bath. It will give the patient's body something to feed off of while it does its thing. That's the answer to your first question. The answer to the second question is that it is the rest of your object lesson.” Kris touched a control panel and the tank lit up. Jason was suspended inside. One thigh had been torn open like a large wild animal had taken a bite out of it. His chest, arms, and face were crisscrossed with various wounds.

“Jason kept Bloodbath occupied until the rest of us could get there. Your brother took a couple of nasty hits,” Ash told her.

Jenny opened her mouth to say something, turned around, and made use of the bucket.

Kris watched Kari pull the doorman's luggage cart through the door. Boxes were piled up on the flatbed and several garment bags were hanging from the bar.

“How went the shopping trip?”

Kari closed the door, made her way to a chair, and plopped in it. “Three dresses. Different colors. Different styles. Four pair of shoes. Lots of sexy unmentionables that I'll need to find a significant other to make proper use of. Several packs of hosiery.”

“And the date part?”

Kari rocked her head back and closed her eyes. “He was a complete gentleman the entire time. Wolfgang's for lunch.”

“So you're all ready for tomorrow night?”

“I have to decide which dress to wear. He got me an appointment for my hair in the morning. So I'll be ready. I'm just not sure I'm ready.”

Kris smiled at her twin. “Relax and enjoy. It isn't like it's a full service date.”

“So, how was your evening out?

Kari pulled off her sunglasses and set them on a table. Her wrap she draped over the back of the couch. “Honestly, it was fun. I met some interesting people. Apparently, there is talk in Hollywood about making a movie about the Liberty Brigade or some such. The actor that's been in talks to play Torpedo was there. And his date was the one that's been in talks to play the White Witch.” Kari was grinning.

“So it wasn't as bad as you were afraid it was going to be.”

“No.”

Gathering a few things, Kris stuffed them into a messenger bag. “Should I ask why you're getting home so late?”

Kari's grin grew wider. “I woke up naked in Jason's bed this morning. The day got a little more interesting after that.”

“Uh huh.”

“What?”

“You woke up in Jason's bed. Wearing your stockings...”

“Pantyhose,” Kari corrected.

“...panties, and one of Jason's shirts.” Kris gave Kari an amused smile. “You passed out on him afterwards. He took you to his apartment because it was closer than either here or the tower.”

“My version sounded better,” Kari said with a pout.

“Rehearse it for a bit and tell your friends you slept with a billionaire. I have to go.”

“I thought you had the day off?”

Kris slung the messenger bag around her shoulder. She caught the strap she flipped between her wings and reattached it to the bag. “Staff meeting. I should only be gone a couple of hours unless something comes up. You okay?”

“I guess,” Kari responded. “Jason asked me to model for him. Something about the painting he did of you.”

“And?”

“I'm still getting used to the idea that he's not going to hurt me again.”

“Hey, he didn't hurt you. Not directly. And he didn't mean to hurt me when it happened.”

Kari nodded. “I need to get out of this dress and cleaned up.”

From the loft in the barn, Warren watched the delivery truck turn down his drive. He set his carving tools aside, picked up a rag and wiped his hands off. He headed down the stairs, tucking the rag into his back pocket.

“Hey, Don! What ya got? Kate been online shopping again?”

The driver chuckled. “Not that I know of. Just a heavy mailer for you from Scott Enterprises.”

“Yeah. Been expecting that. Getting to be that time of the year.” Warren signed for the package. “Thanks,” he said taking it. “Have a good day.”

Warren read the envelope while the delivery truck turned around. On the way out it passed another truck pulling into the drive. He pulled the tab on the mailer and looked inside. “One, two, three.” He smiled. “I guess this is her year.”

The truck pulled to a stop and the driver climbed out. “Mr. Asher?”

“Yes. And you are?”

“George Sanza.”

Warren held out his hand. “Nice to meet you finally. What brings you here?”

“Mr. Scott's money and an order for six dresses,” George explained. “One for Leah, two for Kate, one for a Mary Asher.”

“That's my mom.”

“And two for a Miss Jenevieve Asher.”

“That's my sister. Why don't you go on in the house. Kate and Leah are in there. I'll see about getting the other two here for you.”

“That would be much appreciated,” George said with a smile.

George headed up the steps. Warren heard Kate and Leah welcome him in. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and placed a call. “Hey, Dad. You might want to come over. Bring mom and Jen.”

Climbing the ladder to the tree fort, Warren pushed the trapdoor open. “Curtains! Love what you've done with the place!”

Jen had her knees drawn up, leaning against the wall. Tears had left tracks through dust, dirt, and makeup. “It's not fair. Jason promised.”

“Jason kept his promise, Jen. You got your invitation.” He set a drink carrier with one cup and a bag on the floor and pulled himself up the rest of the way. “Dad is the one that said you aren't going.”

“It's not fair!”

“Hey, I realize you're upset, but it's just the two of us. You don't have to yell to be heard.”

“Sorry.” Jen wiped her face with one hand, further smearing the mess her face was becoming.

“I got you your favorite. Rosie burger, fries, and a chocolate banana shake.”

“Not hungry.”

Warren shrugged. “You will be. It's still hot. Want to tell me what Dad is angry about?”

“I blew off a couple of chores and went to a concert. It was a last minute thing.”

“You live on a farm. You can't go blowing off your chores.”

“I don't want this! You're happy to follow Dad in being a farmer. I want to go out and see the world.”

Warren sat beside Jen. “I've seen the world. I've seen the good it can offer, Jen. I've seen entirely too much of bad it can offer, too.” He draped his arm over her shoulders and pulled her off the wall to lean against him. “I would much rather you not be in a hurry to go out and see the world. Home is a sanctuary.”

What do you think I should do?”

For starters, get cleaned up and go back to my place. Be the adult you want Dad to see. You may not be going to the ball this year, but George has a responsibility. He accepted Jason's job. That means you need to go over and let him measure you.” Jen nodded. “And in the future, if any more concerts come up, let me know and I can cover your chores so Dad doesn't need to know you didn't do them.”

You can't keep doing for me,” Jen said sitting up. She wiped her face with her shirt.

Can, too. It says so in the Big Brother's Instruction Manual.”

Lowering his phone with a sigh, Warren watched a horse romp across the field. “What did he say?” Warren sighed again.

“A lot of nothing. Kate's getting two dresses and I should just enjoy it. Something passed between Kate and Jason when Aaron was born.”

“Yeah,” Leah said. “Some of his power to heal her.”

“I think there was more to it, but neither one is talking. Kate promised Jason. And Jason...”

“Jason isn't going to move in on Kate. You know that.”

Warren turned to look at Leah. “I know, but it rankles that they're keeping secrets. And then there's George getting Kate down to her underwear.”

Leah laughed. “Warren, Kate knows George. She knows she's safe with him. She used to help him make some of his designs. You know the stereotype of guy clothing designers?”

Warren's brow furled. “You mean he's...”

“As a tiki-torch,” George said. “Leah what do you think of this green?”

“Sorry,” Warren said.

“Ooh! Is that for her dress?”

“One of the options,” George said, taking the sample in for Kate.

Sitting at the dining room table, Warren took a drink from his coffee cup before setting it down and picking up his pencil again. He applied it to the pad of graph paper. He had the layout of the chest he wanted to build for Leah. For how he wanted to do the lid Warren would have to get Jason on board to help.

The graph paper helped with the basic design and measurements. Warren jotted notes along the side of the joints and supports. His plan included either a removable tray or those found in jewelry boxes that lifted up and collapsed down. He shook his head. Sometimes he over-planned these things.

Picking up his coffee cup again, he heard Kate quietly singing to Aaron. He smiled. There was magic in moments like this for him.

“Two hinges should do it,” he said to himself. “Locking support on either side for the lid.” Warren sighed and set his pencil down. “Just need to decide on what type of wood, stain, and varnish.”

He moved to the coffee pot and refilled his cup. He paused for a moment. “There's a thought. Toy box for Aaron. Chest for Sis, Leah, Dani, Trese...” The list went on in his mind. “Especially if I can get Jason's help. Wood carving isn't one of his skills, but maybe he can pick it up fairly easy,” Warren said with a shrug. He set his cup down and picked the pencil back up when a soft knocking came from the kitchen door.

Warren went to the door and opened it. Spellbinder leaned against the side of the house. Blood ran from cuts on her face and arms. “Addie?” He pushed the screen door open and lifted her when she began to slide to the porch.

“I'm sorry. I didn't know where else to go and you were close.”

Wrapping a bandage around her thigh, Warren said, “Don't worry about it. You should have asked for help.”

“I am,” Spellbinder said.

Kate pressed a band-aid over a cut on Spellbinder's upturned face. “Not being in the business and all, Addie, I think you're supposed to ask for help before the bleeding starts.”

“I'm not a Guardian.”

“Adalene Masters,” Warren snapped. She looked down at him. “Yes, you are. Whether or not you live in the tower or in your home, that doesn't matter to us. What matters is what you do.”

“I need to rest so I can heal.”

“And then we will discuss your situation.”

“You'll help?”

Warren smiled at her. “You're asking now?”

Spellbinder nodded and dropped her head. She tried to stand and winced with the pain. “I don't think...”

Slipping an arm around her, and then behind her knees, Warren lifted her. “Spare bedroom upstairs. It's yours until you feel better.” She nodded. Warren carried her up the stairs.

Lightning sped into his parents' home. “Where's Jen?” he asked pulling down his cowl.

“Up in her room sleeping,” Ben answered.

“What's wrong?” Mary asked. Warren was upstairs before she finished.

Jen's door was closed and he opened it silently. A radio was playing quietly. One of her school books was open on the bed beside her. The light from the hall roused her.

Squinting against the light she made out Warren's shadow. “Warren? What's wrong?”

“I was worried about you. I needed to see if you were okay.” Entering the room, Warren sat on the side of his sister's bed. “Something bad happened. Something ugly.”

Sitting up, Jen asked, “What? What happened?”

“Warren? What happened?” Mary asked from the door. Ben was standing behind her.

“I don't know. I don't know all of it. We found Amanda.”

“Amanda? Is she alright?”

“I don't know. I don't know what happened to her. Her whole body is welted. It looks like someone put a screen into a fire and then wrapped it around her.”

“That's horrible!”

Jen started to get up. “I need to go see her.”

“Jen, she's in a coma. I got her to the hospital.”

“Tomorrow, Jen. After school I'll run you up,” Mary said.

• 2 weeks later...

Marlene stopped at the door and turned to Leah. “Walk with me?”

Leah stared at Marlene. Walk with me? How many times had she asked Jason that? Leah shook her head to clear it. Marlene frowned. Leah smiled at her. “Sure.”

Stepping out on the porch Marlene received a questioning look from Trese. “I'm okay. Unless I sprouted horns or something.”

Not that I've noticed. He's in the barn,” Trese said. Marlene nodded.

Leah came out, the screen door settling behind her. “Not the picnic table.” Marlene shook her head. Brad was sitting on it. Moving to the top of the steps, Leah looked down. “Dani said potholes. Those look like...”

Post holes,” Marlene finished. “Down the lane?”

The two headed towards the road walking close together. “What do you want to talk about?”

What are we going to do?”

Leah looked at Marlene from the corner of her eye. “About?”

Jason. He still loves you.”

Looking down, Leah said, “I know.” Marlene turned to look at her. “Little things he's done. A carton of ice cream. Spending the weekend with me when the last thing he wanted was to be near me.”

Marlene grabbed Leah's wrist her turned her to face her. “Jason wasn't rejecting you. He was rejecting himself. He blames himself for what happened to you. He wants to be near you. He wants to touch you like he used to. Like when he spent the night in your bed...” Marlene stopped. “I'm sorry. I didn't... I should have realized that there was a bad occurrence attached to that.”

Leah nodded and looked down again. “He wants you.”

He wants both of us.”

He chose you. He won't put either of us in that situation.” It was Marlene's turn to nod. “What are you going to do?”

Giving her a pained smile, Marlene said, “I need to talk to him. I have something to tell him that I should have told him before.” She cast a glance back at the barn. “Then I get to see where I stand with him.”

The ax whistled through the air. The wood splintered and the ax was embedded in the stump. Jason tossed the pieces onto the pile and retrieved another log. Marlene watched as he levered the ax from the stump and set the log in place.

“Going to do the whole thing?” Marlene asked.

Shrugging, Jason said, “Might as well. It was already dead.” He glanced up at her and Marlene felt herself shiver as if a cold breeze caressed her. “What's on your mind?”

“I was wondering if we could talk. The twins are talking. Warren and Beth are off talking. Seems like the thing to do.”

“Where's Ash?”

Marlene smiled. “Listening to music.” Jason brought the ax down again. Leaving the ax in the stump, he gathered the splittings for the pile. Marlene sat in the chair. “Are you sure this is what you want to do?”

Placing another log on the stump, Jason brought the ax up. The log sundered, he gathered the pieces. “I don't know. All I can say is that it feels right.”

“I guess I can't argue that. But why?”

Jason saw Kris flash through the air before diving back down towards the hot spring. “Showing Kari what she can do. Or maybe herself.” He turned his glance to Marlene. “Think about it. Where else can she go?”

“I could argue that it isn't your problem.”

“Our property changed her. It was done in our labs. Regardless of who was using them. We owe her.”

Marlene tilted her head to the side. “There's more to it, isn't there?”

Jason hung his head for a moment. With a crimson flash Jason brought out a journal. From the color of it Marlene knew it was one of Sandy's. He handed it to her and then went back to splitting wood. Marlene ran her hand over it. The blue color of it and the pattern felt comfortable to her. It perfectly matched her own in every way except the color. Hers were green.

Where Marlene's were mostly a collection of diaries, Sandy's held musings, songs, sketches, and the like. A diary, but Sandy had tended to put more into her journals than just daily events. Marlene felt the pang of grief that came when she thought about Sandy. She opened the book and began reading.

My dad was big on plans. Execution sometimes had issues. He actually built a transporter. Perfectly safe for humans. The only problem was dad couldn't get the range down. It was great for getting up to the research satellite and back. Or Mars if we had a unit there. I'm not sure what the maximum range would have been.

But imagine if we can get the range down to manageable numbers. You're in the tower and you want to spend time with Kate, you step into the unit, dial up the farm, and there you are.”

Jason, Warren has made me sit through enough episodes of Star Trek and the various Stargate shows that even I know that's a bad idea.”

The Corvette bucked and blood splashed the windscreen. “I'm hit!”

“How bad?” Jason spared a glance out of the corner of his eye.

“I don't know.”

“Drain the battery!”

“But the car...” Leah said weakly.

“Is a write-off!” He pulled the cover off a power outlet, grabbed Leah's hand and held it to the outlet. The car slowed with the loss of power. “Shield up as soon as you can!”

Leah nodded. Electricity snapped and popped around her, getting stronger the longer she pulled power from the car's battery. The helicopter swung around for another pass.

Can you fly?”

I think so,” Leah answered. Bullets ripped into the highway ahead of them. Jason turned into the guard rail. A crimson lance blasted through the rail from the driver's side of the car. There was little resistance from the rail when the car's momentum carried it through. The Corvette plunged to the surf below.

Jason and Leah both changed. Pulsar and Sparx flew away from the falling car.

Still in bandeau bra and panties, Dani stood outside Jason's door. She pushed the button to announce her presence and was surprised that the door opened instead. She went inside.

The apartment was mostly dark. City lights filtered in through the windows, but no lights were on inside. There was a light coming through the not-quite-closed door to Jason's bedroom. Venturing closer, Dani saw Ash wearing Jason's Federation hockey jersey. She was curled up beside him. Jason had an arm around her and a hand on her knee where Ash had laid it on top of him.

“I really wish I hadn't left mine in the loft,” Ash said.

“I can see about getting you another one,” Jason said quietly.

Dani pushed the door farther open. “I”m sorry to intrude.”

“You aren't,” Ash said.

“Good,” Dani said. She climbed on the bed opposite Ash. “Why didn't you tell me what you were planning?” She lay down on her belly, feet up in the air, ankles crossed.

“Primarily, because it didn't concern you. Secondly, because I wasn't sure it would work.”

Dani waved her hand in front of his face. Jason deftly caught her wrist. “I thought you were blind.”

“That doesn't mean I can't feel the air moving from your hand.”

“Oh. Are you going to let me pay you back for this?”

Jason's arm went around her, and she pulled herself up so that he head was on his shoulder, mirroring Ash. “There's nothing for you to pay me back for.”

“You could have warned me. I would have worn something a lot less flammable. At the very least you owe me a new dress.”

“And you just know how much I hate taking you out to try on new dresses,” he teased.

“I am such a clothes horse.” Dani put her hand on Ash's leg and moved her fingers up over Ash's calf.

“Dani, I'm not saying I'm not interested. And I'm not saying I am interested. But I will not have you in a position where I could hurt you.”

“It's so hard.” She smiled at Ash. “It's okay. I much prefer my playmates to be interactive.”

“As long as you understand.”

“I'm not sure how I'm going to get to sleep tonight.”

“Did you enjoy yourself?” Sharon asked.

Jen grinned. “It was awesome! I'm going to try to write down some of my thoughts. My English teacher sent me some preview stuff for next year. She wants me to write a composition about my adventures.” She gathered her shoes. “Good night.”

“Good night,” Jason and Sharon answered her. Jen headed off to her room.

Jason handed Sharon a wine glass. “Something bothering you? You didn't like it?”

“Thanks. I liked it just fine. As an action flick. As a historical documentary it was sorely lacking in truth.”

Chuckling, Jason said, “Based on. Officially, no one knows who Nightwraith was. Someone that might know who he was or what records he might have kept weren't available for interviews. So they take stuff that made the news, weave it together, and hopefully make a story that people will watch.”

“I was never his fluff piece!”

“Ah, so here it comes. You realize that as far as the public is concerned you are, at best, the original Huntress' twice-great granddaughter. If you're related at all.”

“We worked maybe three cases together.”

Uh oh.”

Lightning, sitrep,” Thomas ordered.

Fourth quarter and the two-minute warning just sounded,” Lightning said.

Explain.”

We've got a time counting down. Four minutes twenty seconds...mark,” Pulsar said. “We have no idea what it is for, but since we are near the server room it shouldn't be that hard to guess.”

Damn it.”

Lightning, cart,” Pulsar said pointing. “Fill it up with anything that looks important and bring it to me. Mentor, override Lightning's HUD. Give him a fast path out. Calculate his travel time and give him a countdown of his own.” He pulled open the door to the server room. “RAIDs. Fun. Lightning, when your timer hits zero, you leave. No questions, no quibbles.”

Got it.”

What are you going to do, son?”

Kick your ass if you don't stop calling me that!” Pulsar ran his fingers along the arrays, one row at a time, trailing crimson and disappearing each blade as his finger crossed it. It was the first time he had done such a thing and he wasn't sure there was going to be a limit to what he could take.

Lightning returned with a cart full of notebooks. Pulsar disappeared everything on the cart and Lightning went back for more. In between deliveries, Pulsar focused on the servers.

What do you think?”

I think he's entirely serious. He doesn't like the director. In there,” Huntress pointed at the doors.

Behind me. What do you have?” Paladin asked.

Be still my fluttering heart, my knight,” Huntress teased. “Formaldehyde, blood, rot.”

And you say I never take you anywhere fun,” he bantered back. “Christ...” Canisters big enough to hold an adult with a lot of room to spare, were lined up on either side. Some were broken, several were opened, a lot of them held the remains of failed experiments. “Visual record start.”

Anything look like it makes sense?” Huntress asked.

A lot of dead bodies. First canister opened, label reads 'VV1574'. Second opened canister, R4V3N. Strange.”

What is?”

There's space for at least one canister here. Marks on the floor show there was one.”

Something on the floor there,” Huntress pointed it out. “Under the hose.”

Paladin knelt. “Got it. D0V3. The way these are marked. Version numbers?”

Could be.” Huntress cocked her head and turned it slowly from side to side. “I hear something.”

Augment sound,” Paladin said. “Ow! Cancel out the gunshots.” He listened. “Deeper in.”

Moving silently, Huntress headed further into the lab. “In here.”

Paladin stopped outside of the door. “Dan.”

What is it?”

Huntress and I are heading into a lab. The panel outside the door is marked '4V474' with a lower case r.”

You know it?”

Everyone we don't want having access to it seems to have access to it.”

Copy that.”

What is it?” Huntress asked.

Pushing against the door and finding it locked, Paladin said, “Bio enhancement. Project started under government overwatch. Nova Research was pushing for it. Can you open this? Never mind.” His hand slammed into the lock, sending something on the other side of the door clattering. “The government wanted assets it could use in the event of a war.”

Kind of like the Liberty Brigade.”

More like self-directing nukes.” He pushed the door open. “That looks like a sarcophagus.”

That's where the sound is coming from.”

Paladin nodded. “I hear it. Like someone knocking.”

It would be nice if we had some power.”

Says the blind lady. There's a control panel.” Looking at the panel, he said, “It would be nice if it had some power.”

I think I said that.” She listened. “That's not Morse code. Sounds more like a generic 'get me out of here'.”

Auxiliary power. Standard coupling. Give me a second and...” The sarcophagus began to hum and they heard a scream from inside. “Stand clear. I'm going to open it and then cut the power again.”

He flipped a couple of switches and there was a whir of sound as the bolts holding the lid retracted. Fluid spilled out. The cover broke free and crashed into the door. Paladin retracted the power coupling.

The occupant of the sarcophagus collapsed to the floor, ripping the wire harness free from the interior. The nude form scrabbled trying to remove the mask that covered her head.

Easy, miss,” Paladin said, trying to lend her a hand. The woman backhanded him sending him flying back into the control panel. Her hands went back to the mask.

Huntress flipped her baton out and tossed it. It connected with a button on the side of the mask before rebounding into her hand. She slipped it back into its holster. The girl lifted the front of the mask up and off her head. She tossed it to the side. It exploded against the wall, cracking the concrete.

We're not here to hurt you,” Huntress said gently.

The girl tried unsteadily to stand. “You're not... Not...”

Huntress,” Mentor said quietly. “The girl's name is Ashleigh Parks. She has been missing for the last twenty months.”

And you have access to my useless equipment.”

Apologies. Jason wanted me as extra eyes and ears. Just in case.”

No harm, no foul.” Huntress took a tentative step forward. “Miss Parks. Ashleigh...”

Ash. Where am I?”

Prying himself from the control panel, Paladin said, “Canada. Alberta.”

She hung her head. “Long way from home.”

A long time away from home,” Huntress said. “Can you stand?”

Trying,” she said, slowly pushing herself up. The floor under her knuckles cracked.

Run! Get away! Pain was behind her. The future was before her. What kind of future does a freak with wings have? A crimson trail threatened to cut her off. She climbed higher. The trail matched her. She dove, and again the train followed her. She couldn't let herself be taken again.

The man closed the distance. “Hi. You come here often?”

She screeched. The spear in her hands flashed forward in an arc and trailed blood.

Okay, so I'm a little rusty at pick up lines. Where are you going?”

Away!” A part of her mind noted the wound in his chest healed.

He held his hands up. “We aren't here to hurt you.”

Liar!” The spear flashed again. This time he avoided it.

One cut to a customer, miss.” He pulled his mask off. “My name is Jason Scott. My company owns the facility you were kept in. Without our knowledge. My intent is to help you. If you grant enough trust for me to do one thing for you right now without trying to cut me again.”

She drew back defensively and then nodded. Jason approached her slowly. He held out his hand. “I'm going to have to try something new here. So don't hold it against me if it doesn't work perfectly the first time,” he said with a smile. He closed his eyes, almost like he was asleep. Crimson enveloped her. Immediately, the wind stopped chilling her.

Looking at herself, she was wearing a gray sweat suit. Lace-less tennis shoes were on her feet. When he opened his eyes, she said, “White would have been better.”

I will keep that in mind for the future. Shall we go down?” Blood splattered her.

Lightning listened, trying to pinpoint where the shot came from. His HUD pinged from several different locations and then gave him a path to where the shooter was. “Thanks, Buddy. I don't know how you did that, but thanks.” Lightning ran.

The sniper was lining up a second shot when Lightning got to him. Lightning grabbed him by the collar and flung him. He went further from the speed boost than Lightning's strength. “Spears, isn't it? That's my friend you just shot.” Lightning gathered up the rifle and ejected the magazine. He slid the bolt back, letting the round fall. “You pissed him off. I hope you have good reasons. Especially concerning the Director did not give you a green light to shoot.” Lightning let the pieces of the rifle fall to the ground.

“You alright?”

“It's already healed. Who shot?”

“Spears.”

“Bastard.”

“Yeah.”

“Miss? We're going to have to confiscate the...uh, spear.” Danforth held her hand out.

Stepping back defensively, the girl brought it up in a guard position.

“Trust,” Pulsar said quietly. He laid his hand over the girl's gently.

“They shot you!”

He nodded. “Trust me.” She gauged the situation and then nodded, releasing the spear. “What do I call you?”

“Kris.”

“Pulsar, we're going to have to confiscate the spear,” Danforth said. Kris got the impression he was smiling behind his mask. A crimson aura surrounded the spear before it vanished.

“What spear?”

• 2 weeks later...

Setting his coffee cup down, Warren sat up a little straighter. “Jason,” he said.

Looking up from his sketch, Jason saw Warren's concern. “Slide that bowl over here.” He took hold of it. “Thanks.” He opened a bottle of water and poured it in, then tosses the bottle into the recycle container. “I was wondering if I was going to see you this trip.”

“Mrrow,” the mountain lion replied. She bounded to the stairs, sniffed at the bowl, then began rubbing her head on Jason.

“A pet?”

Jason shook his head. “We have an understanding.”

“Sounds like there's a story there. I wonder if the girls are up.”

“We're up,” Ash answered. “Just getting coffee.”

Kris stepped through the door. “When did we get a kitty?”

Looking her over, Jason said, “You slept well.”

Giving him a small smile, Kris said, “I did. Thank you. What's wrong with his paw?”

“I came up here a few years ago. I needed to decompress. Find my composure. I'm responsible for a lot of land up here. The Forestry Service does its part, but I keep my hand in when I'm up here. The land I'm responsible for is posted no hunting or trapping. That was how my grandparents wanted it.” His hand caressed her neck while she nuzzled him.

“Cool. I don't think I've ever heard a mountain lion purr before,” Ash said.

“It was my second day and I decided to go for a hike. I found her in a bear trap. Panting, thin, too weak to even attempt to put up a fight. I'm not sure how many days she had been laying there. I gave her a bottle of water. Pulled out a travois. I made the trap go away, got her on the travois, and hauled her back here.”

The cat moved down to lap at the water.

“After I got her comfortable I called a vet that was willing to up. Dehydrated and starving. The bones weren't broken, but for however long she was in that trap,” he shrugged. “That's the reason for the discoloration. The vet gave her some antibiotics. She hung out for the better part of three weeks while she healed, subsisting on a steady diet of expensive cuts of raw steak. Then one morning I came out and she was gone.”

“What happened with the trapper?”

Jason watched the man poking through the undergrowth. “You look like you lost something.”

“Just looking for one of my traps.”

“This land it posted.”

“I don't care about that. It's a free country.”

“That's a pretty ballsy thing to say to the man whose conservator-ship covers this land.” The

man pulled the pistol holstered at his hip. “You just made this a lot easier.”

What do you think?”

I think you've got a bad case of the hots for her,” Jason teased. Warren reddened. “I think she's got a lot more going on inside than she's letting on.”

Warren shrugged. “She doesn't really know us.” Jason nodded. “As for the other, she's gorgeous.”

She's got a twin, too.”

How'd you find that out?”

Research. Mentor tracked through some missing persons reports. Found both of them. Kris was reported missing by her sister. Ash by her landlady.”

“Ouch?”

Jason shrugged again. “No idea. I'm sure we'll learn more in time.”

What are you going to do?”

Jason scraped scraps into the trash. He grinned. “Wait and see.”

Warren finished cleaning off the table. “You want help with that?”

You want to wash or dry?”

I can probably do both in the time it'll take you to start,” Warren said, half-joking.

Or you can just load the dishwasher.”

Yawning, Jason opened the door to his room only to find Kris fighting with the top he had loaned her. “Stealing my bed?”

Covering herself with the top, Kris said, “Sorry. You said find a bed. You never specified which bed was already taken.”

Problem?”

It's too small. I can't get it on over the wings.”

Did you try stepping into it and pulling it up?”

Too...uh, small,” Kris said, indicating her breasts.

Jason nodded. “Sorry. I guess you're a bit bigger than Sandy was.”

Was...?”

You don't have a problem with loose, do you?” Jason rummaged in a drawer and pulled out a white v-neck t-shirt.

No. No, I don't. You don't need to ruin anymore clothes on my account.”

Oh? Going to sleep naked in my bed?”

Uh, no!”

Teasing, Kris,” The shirt disappeared. He stepped behind her. “Relax.” He lightly touched her neck. The shirt reappeared, rent, allowing her wings freedom.

Thanks. I guess I'll go find another bed.”

Pulling his shirt off, Jason dropped it into a clothes basket. “You are welcome to stay if you'd like.”

Kris looked like a deer in the headlights. “I...uh, I don't want...”

Music. Soothing.” Jason gently caught her wrist. “I'm not talking sex. But maybe a little intimacy, a little human contact, might help.” His hand went to her hip and he released her wrist, sliding his hand up until her hand was in his. He began swaying gently to the music. Kris was stiff. She moved with Jason, but didn't really relax.

As they moved, Jason slowly pulled Kris closer. In time her back relaxed. Her forehead came to rest on his chest. She began shaking, sobs racking her body. Her arms slipped about Jason. Jason held her close.

• 2 weeks later...

Kat Collins sat in the waiting area. The chair was comfortable and a woman came through every so often to see if anyone needed anything. Parents, husbands, wives, and children would come into the waiting area. Most with lawyers in tow. From time to time different women would come in and escort the families with children out. The parents would soon return childless. She put her hand on her own swollen belly.

Two women entered the waiting area. Both looked at her. One nodded her head in Kat's direction. The one that didn't nod turned to the other and said “Thank you.” She was a redhead and comfortably dressed. A green silk blouse contrasted her hair. Dark slacks on her legs and low heels on her feet. She came over.

Mrs. Collins?”

Yes?”

The woman held out her hand. “I'm Theresa Gardner. You can call me Trese.” Kat accepted the offered hand. “Kat... Kathleen Collins.”

Can you come with me, please?”

Is there a problem?” Kat asked as she rose from her chair. She gathered her purse and her carry-all.

Not exactly. Everyone has checked in, so we'll be heading into the meeting room shortly.” Trese led her out of the waiting area and into the hall. “This way. The problem, not that it is one, is all the people here have legal counsel with them. This was expected and encouraged. Some of these lawyers, or their firms, are doing double and triple duty with the families here.” They turned a corner. “You are the only person here without counsel.”

I didn't... I don't...” She let out a heavy breath. “With everything going on, I'm concerned about my financial situation.”

I know it's hard, but don't. Don't worry about things right now. Just take it day to day. I read your husband's file. He was a lab assistant and working towards his degree?”

Yes.”

And the two of you were living in housing here?”

Yes. We're over in the north apartments.” Trese nodded. “I guess where I'm going to end up living is another concern.”

Mrs. Collins...”

Kat.”

Kat,” Trese said gently. “I said don't worry about things right now. I meant that. We aren't looking to throw you out into the street. If you don't mind me asking, when are you due?”

Sometime between Christmas and New Years. Where did all the children go?” Kat asked.

Trese smiled. “We took them to the daycare facility.” Kat nodded. “Here's my office.” Trese opened the door and they went inside. Sitting in the room was a dark haired woman reading through a brief. “Kat, this is Morgan Shaw. She has agreed to be your legal counsel. Morgan, I'll leave the two of you alone. When you're done you can go through that door there and take your seats.”

Thank you, Trese,” Morgan said. After Trese left, Morgan said, “Please, sit.” Kat sat in a chair that was more comfortable than the one in the waiting area. “I've been going over your husband's file. The monthly reviews he's received are glowing.”

What's the problem?” Kat asked nervously.

Legally, the issue is that your husband hadn't been with the company long enough to enroll in the insurance plan.”

A lot of our money has been going towards doctor bills and getting things ready.”

Morgan nodded. “Okay. Now, when we go in, we'll be the first to be seated. I want you to sit beside Mr. Scott or Miss Gardner. Whichever you may feel more comfortable next to.”

Can I ask, why are you doing this? I've heard of you.”

Giving her an easy smile, Morgan said, “It came to someone's attention that you didn't have legal counsel. I happen to owe that person a favor and they called it in. So, here I am.”

What can I expect?”

We are going to go in, sit, and listen to whatever is said. Afterwards, you and I have a private chat with Mr. Scott, Miss Palmer, Trese, and Mr. Abernathy.”

Who is he?” Kat asked.

He is the company's lead legal counsel for the upper East Coast.” Kat frowned. “His presence is a legal necessity, since all the survivors were encouraged to bring their own legal counsel.” Kat nodded. “Kat, Jason Scott is a good man. Marlene Palmer makes him a better one. You aren't going to be tossed under a bus over this.”

Are you okay?”

Marlene glanced at Jason. “He's about thirty hours without sleep right now,” she said to Trese.

Jason,” he looked up at Trese. “Don't talk any more than you have to,” she said smiling sweetly. Jason returned to the file he had been reading.

Slipping her hand under the table, Marlene touched his thigh. His hand dropped to cover hers. She wished this wasn't necessary, but she had to agree with Jason. Get it done. Get it over with. Let the families start healing as best they can. When this day ended, Jason was hers. Hopefully for the entire weekend.

I still say it sets a bad precedent,” Thomas Abernathy said.

'Tom, I realize that you are doing your job, advising what you see as the best course of action,” Jason said. His voice indicating how tired he was. “I thank you for that, but I don't see this as a company precedent. You're concerned with the legal ramifications should any such event happen again. My grandparents, both sets, had a say in the foundation of this company's culture. The company isn't the buildings. Those can be rebuilt or repurposed as needed. It isn't the products.

It's the people we employ. They built up the company's reputation. They are the company, at its heart.”

But all this for one woman...”

A family,” Trese said. “She's pregnant, if it makes a difference. She lost her husband. Talking to the people he worked with, that knew him, they haven't been married a year. We owe her our support.” Marlene smiled at her. “That's my vote, anyhow.”

I agree,” Marlene said. Kat Collins and Morgan Shaw entered the conference room through the door to Trese's office. Marlene sent a fast text to Sarah. “Mrs. Collins,” Marlene said in greeting. “Morgan. Nice to see you.”

Thank you,” they both said. Kat slipped into the chair beside Trese. Morgan stood at the chair next to Kat. “If you don't mind me saying so, you look like...” shit. “Something that got run over. Multiple times. Busy night?” She slipped into her chair.

Nice to see you, too, Morgan. Evening out, long night, no sleep.” Morgan raised an eyebrow at Marlene. Marlene simply shook her head.