Snippets

Greywind

Leaning against Marlene's desk, Trese watched her. She looked as drained as Trese felt. “What's left on your schedule?”

Tapping her screen, Marlene said, “I've got a meeting at four.”

Internal or external?” Trese asked.

That's the meeting with Accounting?” Sarah asked.

Yes.”

Sarah, shift the meeting from Marlene's schedule to mine. You can send whatever you've got for the meeting to my inbox and I'll go over it.”

What are you doing?” Marlene asked.

Trese smiled. “Asserting my authority.”

And what do you expect me to do?”

I expect you to collect your things, take the rest of the day off, taking Jason with you. I expect you to turn off your phones and find a quiet place where you can take a break. Find a place where people won't expect to find you or will at least respect your privacy if they do know you're there.”

Marlene stared at Trese for a moment and then smiled. “Sarah, can you order me and Jason some dinner? Have it delivered to my apartment here, please.”

Anything in particular?” Sarah asked.

Anything not pizza,” answered Marlene. She stood up and went to her closet, taking out a long coat and draping that over her arm. “Do you know where Jason is?”

Research. Talking with whoever will talk to him.” Trese watched while Marlene collected whatever she felt needed collecting and slipped it into her briefcase before snapping it closed. She slipped on her coat and gathered her bag and briefcase. “Thanks,” Marlene said stepping around her desk. Trese leaned her cheek towards Marlene and put a finger on it. Marlene kissed it and hugged Trese. “Thanks, Sis.”

Go get him and get out of here before I change my mind and run off to spend time with Dani.” Marlene left her office.

The Thai place delivers here. Do you think Jason will mind?”

Smiling at Sarah, Trese said, “Nope. I'll be in my office. If you don't have anything left to do today with Marlene gone, feel free to escape, too.”

Thanks,” she said to Trese's back.

Walking back to her own office Trese felt the weight of the day pulling her down. She felt her own need to decompress. Dinner with Dani and maybe a movie. Stepping into her office, she pulled her phone out and tapped the screen. “Mentor, Jason gets the night off. I don't care if the world decides to end.”

Yes, Trese.”

Pass me to Dani, please.”

Hey!”

Hey, yourself.”

Whatcha need?”

My bestie.”

There?” Dani asked with concern.

No. This mess is done. I chased Marlene out and confiscated her last meeting. I need to go over her notes for it. After I get out, I need dinner, maybe a movie, and to unwind.”

It's Brad's night for dinner,” Dani said.

Ugh. I need comfort food. Not hot wings and beer.”

What would you like?”

Anything not pizza.”

Dani laughed. “But pizza is comforting.”

Serious, Dani. Nothing really greasy.”

Okay, Teke. I'll take care of it. Call me when you're heading out.”

I will. Dani?”

Yeah?”

I love you.”

I love you, too. See you in a while.”

Marlene lay with her head in Jason's lap. She was facing him with one hand slipped behind the small of his back. Jason had one hand on her side and the other gently massaged the back of her neck. Jason's head was tilted back. His ankles were crossed on the coffee table.

She sighed when the doorbell rang. “All good things...” she muttered, forcing herself up. She made her way to the door. The doorman stood on the other side holding a brown paper bag.

Delivery,” he said when Marlene opened the door.

Smiling, Marlene said, “Thanks, James. Did I cover it all?”

Yes, Ma'am. Enjoy your dinner.” James turned and headed back toward the elevator.

She closed the door and turned back. The only sign of Jason were his shoes under the table. Marlene frowned. The bag of food went on the counter. Making her way down the hall to the bedroom, she found Jason laying on the bed. He had stripped down to a pair of shorts. One arm was across his eyes.

Smiling, she bent over and gave him a kiss. Turning back toward the door, Jason's hand caught hers. “You need something?”

You,” he answered.

I'm going to put the food away for later. Then I'll change out of my clothes and curl up with you.”

Power flowed. Others have described the sensation like a momentary sense of being naked and the change was done. To Marlene it had always felt like Jason was touching her everywhere all at once. It was somewhat arousing to her and the thoughts she had about it slipped into erotic.

When it was done, she found herself in a long, green satin nightgown. Dark lace adorned the bodice, sleeves, and lower hem. “Hmm. Someone went shopping for me.”

I went shopping for me. I thought that might look good in a painting of my favorite lingerie model.”

Marlene smiled. “I thought Leah was your favorite.”

Second favorite.”

What made her slip a spot?” Marlene asked teasingly.

Probably the fact I haven't seen her in lingerie in several years.”

I'll be right back.” When she came back Jason seemed to be asleep. She pulled a light blanket up from the foot of the bed to cover him. Marlene slipped in laying her head on his chest with an arm to either side. Jason's arms came up to hold her.

What did you get me?”

I called Wolfgang's. Chicken and rice, broccoli, and macaroni and cheese.” Dani helped Trese off with her coat. “How was it?”

So many people had plans. They didn't get to tell their loved ones that they loved them one last time. One woman threatened her husband with divorce. Then he ends up dead.” Trese slipped her shoes off. “One woman is pregnant. They hadn't been married a year yet. He'd been with the company less than five months.” She came to Dani and put her hands on Dani's hips. Dani's arms went around Trese. Their foreheads came together. “I'm drained. I'm tired.”

What happens with the pregnant woman?”

Trese picked her head up and smiled. “Jason put her husband on the rolls. He can argue with the insurance people. He is going to maintain the husband's pay. At least for a while.”

Shower or dinner first?”

Shower. Maybe it will help.”

Sitting on her bed cross-legged, Lisa Sheffield ran a brush through her hair. She shared living quarters with Jenny Michaels. The view was a lot better than that of the dorms. The food was free and the meals generally tended to be edible. Especially the nights when Jason was in residence.

Lisa did her share of the common chores. When Jason cooked there usually wasn't a lot of cooking dishes that needed cleaning. To say nothing of his skills in the kitchen. Something Brad could learn a bit of.

Frowning to herself she tossed the brush on the bed. Growing up she'd never seen the ass that Brad was now. He had been competitive in sports, but when he started wearing his Nightwing costume it was like that aspect of him had been inflated. Apparently on par with his ego. And from what Lisa had seen so far of the Guardians' records and reports, much to the detriment of his body and reputation as a hero. How many times could one person knock themselves out before they didn't wake up again?

She lay back on her pillow lost in thought. Lisa didn't feel it when her powers activated. One moment, she was staring at the ceiling, and the next, her eyes clouded, turning white. When the phenomenon passed she reached for a journal sitting on her nightstand.

How long?” She opened the book with the ribbon and clicked her pen. The ribbon was always on a blank page.

One minute forty-seven seconds,” Mentor answered. She jotted the date, time, and the elapsed time across the top of the page. Lisa began writing what session was about. Miss Masters seemed to think such a habit important.

Thanks for keeping an eye on me,” she said with a smile. Not sure if Mentor could detect such things, but it made her feel better thinking that it... He, she reminded herself, could and realized what it meant.

Always. As you and Doctor Tyler requested. At least you haven't been trance walking lately.”

Yeah, that kind of puts a damper on the joy of sleeping nude.” Lisa grabbed a post-it. She wrote a time on it followed by GPS coordinates. “Where's Trese at?”

She is in the common area.”

Lisa sighed. “Thanks.” She got up and headed for the door.

Trese was sitting on the couch that faced the large screen that regularly saw use as a TV. Stacy sat on one side of her, Lisa noticed that her hair was longer than the last time she had seen the girl. Dani sat on the other, leaning against Trese. Lisa glanced at the screen. They were watching an old black and white movie. She didn't recognize any of the cast.

“Trese?”

Trese glanced at her and smiled. “Yeah?” Lisa moved behind the couch and held the note out to Trese. “What's this?”

“Some place you need to be and when you need to be there,” Lisa told her.

Reading the note and glancing at the clock, Trese said, “A little more than half an hour. What's going on?”

Lisa simply shrugged. “Take a flyer.”

“Is it something she'll need help with?” Dani asked. Lisa shook her head. “Alrighty then.”

Sighing, Trese stood up. “Guess I better get ready for work.” Stepping past Stacy, Trese looked at Lisa. “I'm not sure if I'm supposed to thank you or curse you for this.” Lisa laughed.

Psistorm set the flyer down on asphalt away from the people and the lights. The first raindrops hit her windscreen before she popped the hatch. She walked towards the police tape.

“Hurry up, people! We need to gather as much as we can before it really starts coming down!” Psistorm saw “Colvin” on a patch affixed to his gear vest.

“This is why you sent me out here, Lisa?” she asked quietly. Her eyes began to glow purple. She put a barrier over the crime scene that extended past the tape.

Colvin looked up. “What the hell?”

“Good evening, Detective Colvin. Umbrella Lass at your service,” Psistorm called out to him.

Settling into her chair, Trese brought a monitor to life. “Learn anything new?” She studied the image of the bracelet on the screen.

“There's a solid core running through the band. I have run calculations based on the size and weight. None of the other elements measure out. There would either be additional space, hollow areas, if you will, or the bracelet would weigh more. I have also run samples of minerals. There are close matches, but only if the minerals, or rocks, are not pure,” Mentor explained.

Trese rocked the chair back and rested her head. “I assume you heard Leah?”

“I did.”

“So, what's the plan?”

Mentor said, “To begin with I plan to dismount the onyx. Unless you care to do it.”

“Thanks”, Trese said. “I'm not a jeweler.”

“After that I have been deliberating the benefits of melting the silver down or cutting it. Do you have a preference?” he asked.

“Cut it. Leah doesn't care if it gets broken and you can always melt the silver down after since you've got it in quarantine.”

“Indeed.”

“So, what do you have planned for the day?”

Smiling at Dani, Leah said, “Debating on returning a favor.” Her eyes glanced to Jason's door down the hall.

Dani grinned. “I'm game if you are.”

“Uh huh. And which of us are you interested in getting naked?”

“Both?” Her grin widened. “Been a while since I've been with multiple partners.”

“And when have you actually been with more than one person at a time?”

“Lots of times!” Dani looked at Leah out of the corner of her eye. “In my fantasies. Not buying, huh?”

“Nope,” Leah said grinning. Her eyes rolled up into her head. Leah fell. Dani's hands went to the back of her head. Her forearms pressed against her temples.

“What happened?”

“She's awake!” Dani called. “Hey, Teke. You were watching Mentor and passed out. You weren't the only one. Leah is still out. Jason is dealing with multiple compound headaches. Courtesy of all of us.”

“But what happened?” Trese tried to sit up. Dani put a hand on her shoulder to keep her down.

“The problem, Theresa, is the unknown mass within the bracelet was apparently alive. When I cut into it, you and Leah passed out. The others all suffered headaches,” Mentor explained. “I, on the other hand, heard nothing.”

“So we have a sample.”

“Unfortunately not. Once its containment was breached it seems to have evaporated.” Trese moaned. “I do, however, have the entire procedure recorded. So, perhaps, among the Guardians' allies, we can find someone with knowledge of what it actually was.”

“How are you feeling?” Kris asked.

“Like Thumper is in my skull bouncing off the insides. How long was I out?”

Kris smiled. “Almost three hours. We can all relate to the headache.” She handed Trese a small cup with pills and a glass of water. “Ibu.” Trese nodded and swallowed them down.

“Why did I get hit so hard?” she asked.

“I'm thinking proximity. You were in the same room with it with only the containment housing between you and it,” Kris said.

Rubbing her forehead with the palm of a hand, Trese asked, “How long you gonna keep me locked up?”

“Since you're aware and only suffering from the headache, I am going to release you into Dani's custody. I suggest rest, though.”

Trese sat up gingerly. “Whoa. Room shift.” She looked through the glass partition. “How is she?”

“Worse off than the rest of us,” Dani said.

“Mentor, brainstorm with me. I'm going to want to see the recording. Me being in close quarters with... Whatever it was, knocks me down. Assume it was a pain reaction. A scream, if you will, from what?”

Dani shrugged. “Being cut? I'd scream if it hurt.”

“The cutting blade was titanium carbide,” Mentor commented. “A possible reaction to that.”

“I'm going to go with 'atmospheric',” Spellbinder said from the doorway. “Jason called me,” she said in response to Kris' questioning look. “What was the content of the case, Mentor?”

“The bracelet. Sterling silver in the band with traces of copper. Fifteen onyx stones, diamond cut and inlaid. The remote saw. Standard atmosphere. I saw no need to work in a vacuum and there was no danger of combustion.”

Spellbinder was quiet, lost in thought. “You're thinking War of the Worlds? Martians get a taste of earth germs and die?” Dani asked.

“No,” Spellbinder said. “It's actually a case of it didn't belong here. While it was in the bracelet it was protected. Outside of it, it simply didn't belong in this reality.”

“What was it?” Kris asked.

“A parasite.”

“How do you feel?”

“Like I've got the shadow of a hangover. Which, since I've never been drunk is rather interesting.” Leah rubbed her temples. “At least the screaming stopped and there's no spiders lurking in the corners.”

“Spiders?” Kris asked.

Leah spread her hands wide. “Big honking spider dropping larva out its butt.”

Kris looked at Spellbinder. “The larva, as she called it, is what was in the bracelet. There's a strand of the spider creature's web that extended to it.”

“Why would it?” Kris asked.

Spellbinder gave a wry smile. “The creature is intelligent. It does make deals. From what you've told me, I will assume there is a second larva that was bound to the first. Most likely in Bauer's hands. When Leah was in a proper mental state, that would allow him access in order to inject images, manipulate emotions, that sort of thing.”

Kris shook her head slowly. “Addie, you scanned Leah for the better part of a day when she got back. You said that there was nothing effecting her.”

“No,” Spellbinder said quietly. “I said there was nothing magical about her except what we now know was Arkayne's manipulations. This isn't magical. The means that the bugs were brought here by most likely was magic. The creatures themselves are simply from another reality.”

“If you guys are going to insist on talking bugs, I'm going to go,” Leah said.

“How are you feeling?” Kris asked.

“Hungry.”

“That's a good sign,” Spellbinder said.

Tara opened the door. Al smiled at her. “That's a big box.”

Al stepped inside and set the box outside of the foyer without leaving it. He took off his coat and hung it up. His cap went on the same hook. He took off his shoes without being asked. “Where would you like it?” he asked, indicating the box.

“What is it?”

Al smiled again. “I have no idea.” His glasses came off and he slipped them into his breast pocket.

Tara looked over the box, shifting it from position to position to look at all sides. “It's for Michael.”

“Yes, ma'am.”

“Will you be joining the others in the dining room?” Tara asked.

“No, ma'am. That's not my business. If I may, could I use your television?”

Tara smiled. “Of course. Would you like some coffee? It's just about ready.”

“Please,” he answered with another smile.

Tara got the remote for the TV and switched it on. She handed it to him with a smile. Tara pushed the box with one hand towards the dining room. It wasn't heavy and she had to wonder what it was. “Michael, there's a box for you.”

“Coffee dinged, Gramma,” he said coming out of the kitchen.

“I'll get it, Mom,” Tara said.

Michael examined the box. “What is it?”

You're going to have to open it to find out,” Gramma told him.

Would you like some help?” Trese asked. Michael nodded. Mr. Abernathy passed Trese a pocket knife. Trese knelt down with Michael and pulled the blade out. She sliced through the packing tape, folded the knife back in, and helped Michael pull the box out of the carton.

It's wrapped,” Michael said, stating the obvious.

There's a card on it,” Tara said from the archway. She brought the coffee to the table.

That's my name!” he exclaimed, pointing to the card.

Trese grinned. “Why, yes it is!”

Pulling the card off, Michael took it to his mother. Tara opened it. “For Michael,” she read. “An early Christmas present. Jason.” She handed the card back to Michael so he could look at it.

Santa! And reindeer!” He set the card on the table and turned his attention to the present.

So,” Trese asked, “are you going to be neat about it or...?” Michael slipped his hand inside a fold and ripped. “Guess not.”

Mom!”

I see!” Tara said. “It's the playset you wanted!”

Yeah! The whole hideout!”

I think it's a tower in the city,” Beth said. “They don't really hide out. Do they?”

Can we put it together?”

Trese sat cross-legged. “Of course we can. Where do we start?”

Michael played with his figures in the new playset. “You're really good with kids,” Tara said. “Do you have any of your own?” Trese shook her head. “Little brothers or sisters?”

“I have an extended, rather dysfunctional family. Several close sisters, none of which are blood. Then there's Jason, Warren, Kate, but I claim her under the close sisters.” Tara grinned. “She's Warren's wife.”

“Where do I stand?” Beth asked.

“Currently, my trainer and slave driver.” Beth laughed. “She's family, too.”

Reaching over, Tara stood the box up. There was still a weight in it. “Michael, did you put something in this box?”

“No.”

“Well, there's still something in it. Come look.”

Michael came over and pulled the box down to look inside. “There's another present!” He wrestled the box over until the second present fell out. The wrapping didn't last as long as the first present. “Mom! It's all of them!”

“Let me see!” Michael brought the box to his mom. “You're right!”

“Can I play with them?” he asked.

“They are yours.” Tara peeled the tape off the flap. She pulled the plastic out of the box and looked over the figures.

“It's a factory set,” Trese said. “It has all the pieces from the collection in one place. Along with their accessories.” Tara began releasing the figures and setting them on the table where Michael could reach them.

“Which one is your favorite?” Trese asked the boy.

“This one! She looks like an angel!”

Trese smiled. “Yes, she does.”

“Jason said I could meet her!”

“He did?” Trese reached over and picked up the Psistorm figure. “What about this one?”

“All she does is make bubbles. I'm going to put her in the TV room.” Trese glowered. Beth covered her mouth to hide a grin and keep herself from laughing.

“That's not a TV,” Tara said. “It's a monitor.”

“Whatever.”

Locking the cabin door Tara and Trese walked off the porch and towards the parking area. There was a rustle from the woods and Trese went on alert, trying to see the source of the noise.

“Tara!”

“Jarrod?”

A young man with several day's growth covering his lower face, stepped out. Trese couldn't make out what he was wearing. She did see the shotgun held in his hands. Held entirely with the business end pointed too closely in her and Tara's direction.

“We need to talk!”

“Talk to my lawyer!” Tara's voice carried.

“You don't understand!”

Tara made to step past Trese. Trese put her arm in front of Tara. Tara stopped when Trese refused to move her arm. “I understand just fine. I had plans, Jarrod. Plans that your bullshit put an end to. I honestly don't know what I ever saw in you!”

“He's my son, too!”

“Then why don't you do anything to help take care of him?” Tara shouted. The shotgun shifted. The barrel pointing even closer towards them.

It seemed to Tara dark smoke blew between the three of them. Jarrod screamed. When the smoke cleared, Jarrod was laying on the ground. Al held Jarrod's shotgun, pointing it at him. “Hush, boy. You don't want to wake the dragon. Miss Gardner, are you okay?”

“We're fine, Al. Thanks,” Trese said.

“Why don't you two head back to the house.”

“Tara...”

Looking down at Jarrod, Tara said, “Anything you have to say to me goes through the lawyers.” She glanced at Al. “Just the driver, huh?” He quirked a smile at Tara.

“Come on, Tara. Let's go see what shenanigans Michael has the Guardians up to.” Trese led her up the drive.

• 3 weeks later...

They settled in the car. Dani turned it over, slipped it into gear, and pulled out. She felt Roger's gaze travel her body. “Are you Red?”

Dani chuckled. “Nope. I'm Dani. I tend to wear red because I look good in it and I like the color. Red prefers purple.”

“Ah. Where we off to?”

“Tailor. Wings doesn't want an off the rack. She would much rather have a good fit. You've got a son?”

“Lucas. Haven't seen him in forever.” Roger turned to look out the windshield. “She tell you everything?”

Dani smiled. “Only enough to make conversation.”

“You look familiar,” Roger said.

“Watch TV much? I'm an actress. Stage work and commercials mostly. A few appearances in TV shows.”

“At least you're a working actor,” he said.

“Not enough to keep me happy, but enough to keep me in the business. So, you're cleaning yourself up enough to get Lucas in you life. What about his mom?”

“I don't know where they are. I'd like to part of his life. I'm not sure how she feels about it. Can't talk to her.” Dani glanced at him. His attention was out the door window. “Why's she doing this?”

Dani smiled. “It's who she is.”

“How is it going?”

Dani turned her phone to show Kris. “Two suits. Blue and gray. Five dress shirts. Five ties. Six pair socks. Two pair dress shoes.”

“I don't know how I'm going to pay her back for this,” Roger said.

“Volume boost, Mentor. Roger,” came through Dani's phone louder than one would expect from any phone. “You will pay me back by doing your best to get the job. You will pay me back by making sure you keep the job once you get it. And lastly, you will pay me back by being a good father to Lucas.”

“Yes, ma'am.”

“We already discussed that, Roger,” Kris said.

Roger smiled. “Yes, Kris. How did your dinner date go?”

“He hasn't taken me up on it yet. I was informed that your appointment is on Tuesday. As your sponsor I am obligated to be there for the meeting. So I will see you then. Got to go.” Kris disconnected before either could reply.

“Well, I hope she spelled out her expectations,” Dani said grinning.

Roger grinned back. “I guess she did. What's next?”

“Lunch? I'm starving.” Roger nodded his agreement.

Tuesday morning came early for Roger. His grandmother had gifted him with a new briefcase and other things that she thought might help him. When he had opened it and seen what was in it he was shocked. The calculator alone must have set her back for the month alone.

He made his way to the kitchen to find her cooking breakfast. “You didn't have to get up early, Grandma.”

“What makes you think I got up early? Like you, I didn't sleep much. I figured at the very least I'd send you off with a full belly,” she said, poking him in it. “Today is going to change your life. You got an angel looking out for you.”

“I hope so, Grams,” he said, taking a seat at the small table.

She slid a full plate in front of him. “What time is that girl supposed to show up for you?” She sat in another chair with her own food.

Roger spoke through a mouthful of his breakfast. “Six thirty.”

“What have I told you about talking with your mouth full?”

Swallowing, he said, “Sorry, Grams. I'm nervous. Scared, really.”

“You got nothin' to be scared of, Roger. You done good. Your light shone and that angel saw it.”

“I'm sorry, Grams.”

“For what?”

“Goin' to prison.”

She patted his hand. “Best thing that could have happened to you. You got your life turned around and didn't end up dead like your father. Runnin' with the gangs could have done that to you.”

Roger nodded. “I need to get ready.”

Longbow

Bryce Callahan stared at the monitor long moments after he had disconnected from Jason. Jason's girl reminded him of his own lost daughter. Maybe it was the way she looked sprawled across the front seat of her car reminding him of how Carlie had looked in the crime scene photos he had been shown.

Poor Bryce. Wallowing in it. Unable to move forward.”

Shut up, bitch,” he said pushing himself away from the desk. He turned his attention to the work bench. Trick arrows were sometimes a necessity for dealing with problems. He much preferred the simple expedient of a broad-head through his target's heart. “Like I did with you.”

Slash laughed. “And now you've got a ghost you don't know how to exorcise.” She wore gray knee boots, gray leather pants, tunic, gloves. A gray band around each bicep. Her mask was gray. She had been a Caucasian. The only color about her was her blondish hair, piercing blue eyes, red lipstick, and the bloodstain around and below the black hole where her heart had beaten.

Take your mask off.”

Wouldn't you rather I took this off?” Her hands went to closures of her tunic. “Then you can fantasize about doing wicked things with me.” She laughed.

Take your mask off.”

She smiled lasciviously. “If you insist.” She pulled the mask down. Her blue eyes blinked in the mask. Her upper face was blank.

I never looked at any of the pictures of you they shoved under my face. I never bothered to learn your name. Leave me the hell alone.”

“So, what did I miss?”

“The Old Man kept throwing his granddaughter at Jason. She never seemed to stick. Thank God,” Beth said. “Could you imagine the two of them together? Much less her having a say in the company?”

“No, no, and no,” Marlene replied.

“Your mom wanted to be here to meet the plane. Video calls just don't seem to quell moms. She will be here later. Probably dragging your dad behind. Passes are already in place.”

“Good. Good,” Marlene said absently. She smiled and nodded at someone that said hello.

“Marlene! I mean, Miss Palmer.”

“Hello, Jessica. Step into my office for a moment, please.” Jessica rose from her desk and followed Marlene and Beth through the door. Marlene set her bag down and embraced Jessica. “How are you?”

“I'm good. Fully healed, but you knew that. Mostly back together upstairs.”

“I'm sorry I wasn't here to help,” Marlene said stepping back to look at Jessica.

“It's okay,” Jessica said with a smile. “Where were you?”

“It's a long story. One I will regale you with on a girls' night. And who's this?” she said, turning towards her desk. “Replaced me with someone a lot younger?”

“I'm Michael,” the boy said from where he sat at Marlene's desk. He wore a fitted three-piece suit.

Marlene moved over to him and knelt down. “Hello, Michael. I'm...”

“Marlene. Jason was looking for you.”

“What are you working on?” she asked.

“I was playing a game with my friend,” Michael said.

“That's a nice suit.”

“Jason got it for me.”

The door to the office opened and Tara came through. “Michael, come here!”

“Tara,” Jessica said admonishing her.

Marlene stood up. “You must be Tara.”

“Yes, Ma'am.”

“Marlene.” Tara looked confused. “My name is Marlene.”

“Yes, Ma'am... Marlene. Jason let Michael play in his office. I meant no harm,” Tara tried to explain.

Smiling, Marlene said, “And no harm done.”

“But Mr. Croystetter...”

“Tara, who do you work for?”

“Ma'am?”

“Who do you work for? What is your position in the company hierarchy?”

“I don't... I don't have one. I work directly for Miss Gardner,” Tara said.

“That is correct. As such, whatever Mr. Croystetter might have to say about what you do or don't do has little bearing on matters where you are concerned. Understand?”

“Yes, Ma'am.”

“Good. Now, feel free to leave Michael in my care and go on about your business. I'm sure you and I will have time later to get to know each other better.”

“Yes, Ma'am.” Tara smiled at Michael and left with Jessica following after.

“She's going to be a tough one to break of that habit,” Beth said.

“Like you and Charles?” Marlene said grinning.

“I didn't have the benefit of going to school with his son. Look at Jason. He still calls dad 'sir'.”

“Which one?” Marlene asked laughing.

“All three of them. What do you make of the Old Man?”

Marlene waved it off. “Looking for leverage. Seeing how he can use Tara. As long as rumors don't start about Tara using her bedroom skills to get her job.”

“Unified front?”

Nodding, Marlene said, “If she needs it.” She turned her attention to the boy. “Okay, Michael. I am going to be needing my desk. You can move your game over to the table.” The table in question lit up.

“Okay.” Michael got out of Marlene's chair and limped to the table. Marlene gave Beth a questioning look.

“He's doing a lot better since his surgery. Doesn't need the brace and the doctors expect full mobility before too long,” Beth answered.

Marlene nodded. “Time to get to work and see what kind of mess my company is in.”

“Does Jason know you've taken over?” Beth teased.

“Pfft. Jason would give it to me if I asked him for it.”

• 2 weeks later...

“Are you sure you're okay to be out here?” Trese asked. She set the broken plank on the cart with the other pieces.

Jason braced another broken board and released a low powered burst at it. It shifted enough that Warren could get a pry bar under it to remove the wood and the nails. “Aside from some dark dreams, I'm fine,” he said. Warren glanced at him and pushed on the bar. The board came free. Jason handed it to Trese, who added it to the pile in the cart.

“We get these last four boards done and then we can warm up and eat?”

Smiling at Trese, Jason said, “Did you and Dani body swap or something?”

“If Dani were out here I'd be warm. And I'm hungry.”

Warren popped the last broken piece from the post and handed it over. “Jason and I can finish up if you want to head back.”

Eyes glowing purple, Trese stepped above the snow on a platform she created. “Don't have to ask twice,” she said. She set off walking back towards the house, her platform disappearing a few steps behind. There was always more a few steps ahead of her.

Jason pulled a new plank off the cart. He held it in place while Warren rapidly hammered nails in one end, and then the other, fixing it to the posts. “Careful you don't crack the boards.”

Warren gave Jason a half-smile. “Not like this is my first time.”

“Cracking boards? Obviously not.” Warren chuckled. “You have been uncharacteristically silent. What's on your mind?” he asked, retrieving another plank.

“My dad.” Warren waited while Jason put it in place, and then just as quickly as the first, hammered it down. “What happened? You were supposed to heal him.”

Jason hung his head. “I tried. Against his wishes, I tried. There are some things that are beyond my power's ability to heal.”

“You say that like it is a separate entity.”

Grabbing another board, Jason put it in place. “Sometimes it feels like it. Ben was concerned about his quality of life had he lived. And about it for those who would have had to care for him. He had a stroke. There was some brain damage. Loss of blood flow.”

“How bad?”

“Bad enough,” Jason said quietly.

Warren hammered the board home. “He would have hated that.”

“You take after him.”

“Yeah.”

Ash indicated an airbike. “That's yours, if you can't tell by the size. Controls are really similar to a cycle. Each hand is the accelerator for that side. Rear thrusters are controlled by your feet. Press down for up. Pull up for down. Left handle controls the left front. Same with the right.”

“Shifter?” Charley asked.

“Auto. Warren was fiddling with a manual build. I'm not sure how far along he is with it. Pull back for a climb. Push forward for a dive.”

“Ever do a Crazy Ivan?” Charley asked, grinning like a mad woman.

Laughing, Ash smiled back. “Oh, yeah. Controls take a bit of getting used to, so don't get too carried away.”

Looking across the bay, Charley asked, “What's the difference between this and one of those?”

“This is like a bike. Those fliers are more like planes.”

“And enclosed. My hair gets frizzy in the rain.”

“Well, Jason put this on the order when he figured you were going to stick around for a while. It's built to your size. I'm not too sure how well you would fit in a flier. This button here,” she indicated it on the control cluster. “This is the wind screen. Basic on-off. It automatically adjusts for atmospheric issues, like rain, and speed.”

“On button?” Charley pointed one out.

“Yep. Flight bay open, Mentor.” A section of outer wall scrolled back on either side. Ash mounted her own airbike. Charley watched while Ash slipped her boots into the stirrups and brought it to life.

“Think I've got the basics.” She mounted the airbike. “Fit is good!” Ash gave her a thumbs up. Charley brought her cowl up into place and mashed the starter. They both gunned their engines and shot out of the side of the tower.

“I understand you are to be escorting Marlene this evening.”

Slipping a cuff link into the cuff of his shirt sleeve, Jason said, “You understand correctly.”

“If I am not mistaken, this will be the fourth event to which you have escorted her.”

Jason smiled. “I'm not keeping score, Mentor, but your count seems about right.” He tightened up his tie, lighter blue contrasting against the darker blue of his shirt.

“Then, perhaps sir, a visit to the vault might be in order.”

“Why?”

“I am not at liberty to say.”

That brought Jason up short. He ran his fingers through his hair. “Mentor, tell me why I need to visit the vault.”

Mentor was uncharacteristically quiet for a long moment. “I am sorry, Jason. I cannot say why.”

“The training wheels came off when I turned eighteen, Mentor. There were only two people that could give you an order that I could not override after that.”

“Yes, sir.”

Jason stared at his own reflection. He pulled on his suit coat. A tie-tack that matched his cuff links held his tie in place. “Which one was it?”

“Your mother.”

He descended the stairs slowly, lost in thought. His mother had died while he had been in high school. There had been a few mandates that Jason had come across that his mother had put into place. To find one now, this long since her passing, shocked him.

“Why Marlene?”

“I cannot say.”

Reaching the bottom of the stairs he cast his gaze over pieces of his family's history. It wasn't dusty, the cleaners his dad had created kept dust, cobwebs, spiders, and the random mouse or rat at bay. He made his way to a stack of crates. A light push moved them out of the way, rolling on hidden casters.

He held his hands palms forward, slightly away from his body, at his waist. “Open sesame.”

“Biometrics are active,” Mentor said.

“Open the damned vault or I'm going to be late.”

A section of wall sunk in and then split. Each part rolled back behind the wall. “Dad and his secret rooms.” The keypad lit up. A sequence of numbers ran across the display. Rods pulled back silently. There was a solid thunk when the door seal broke. “Okay. So what am I looking for?” Jason asked stepping within.

Inside the vault only one light was on. Jason watched as door opened on a security box. His eyes darted to a display that showed the box number and expected contents. Jewelry. Stepping to the box, he put his hand on the handle of the inner box. His thumb pressed against the print reader. The box released when he pulled.

The box he placed on a central table. Lifting the lid, inside he found a large square envelope with his name on it. Jason reached inside for it. Underneath was a jewelry box meant for holding necklaces.

He opened the envelope and found a second envelop with Marlene's name on it along with a note in his mother's handwriting.

Jason,

If you are serious, this case is to go to Marlene.

Mom

I think I am,” he said to himself. Lifting the case free, he opened it. Jason smiled at the contents. The lid snapped closed.

She isn't ready yet,” Beth said when she let Jason in. He glanced at his watch. “I know. She's back here,” she said, leading the way towards the bedroom. Jason started whistling walking behind Beth. Beth stopped and turned to look at Jason when she realized he was whistling The Lady in Red. “Not likely. Or maybe, since I don't have a date. Just don't get any other ideas.” Jason chuckled.

It's a good color on you.”

Thanks,” she said pushing the bedroom door open. Marlene was sitting at a vanity scanning a drawer in her jewelry armoire. She wore a light blue evening dress that would hang just below her knees. High-heeled sandals were on her feet.

Hi! Almost ready. I can't quite decide what jewelry to wear,” she said, smiling at him.

Maybe Beth and I can help.”

Beth snorted. “Good luck with that. I've been trying for the last hour. We're going to be late.”

Trust me?”

Completely,” Marlene answered. Jason slid the drawer back into place. He closed the doors to the armoire. Marlene gave him a questioning look.

Turn to the vanity and close your eyes.” Marlene complied with a giggle. She heard a box snap open. “Hold this, please,” he said to Beth.

Are these real?” Beth asked.

Jason gave Beth a questioning look. He bent over to whisper in Marlene's ear. “Do I get the pleasure of taking your hair down later?” His breath was warm where it caressed her. She shivered. Jason drew the strands around Marlene's neck.

Can I look now?”

Not just yet.” He secured the strands and the safety chain. “Beth,” he indicated the case. When she stepped closer he pulled the earrings from it.

I've never seen any that color before,” Beth said. Jason set the earrings on the vanity in front of Marlene.

Standing up behind Marlene, Jason said, “Now you can look.”

Looking at her reflection, blue pearls hanging around her neck, Marlene felt her mouth go slack. Glancing down she saw the matching earrings. Tears stung her eyes when she looked at Jason's reflection. “I... I... I can't. They're your mother's pearls.”

You've got about five minutes to decide. Then Beth and I are leaving without you,” Jason said. Marlene's fingers rose to caress the pearls. “Well?”

Lifting one of the earrings, Marlene released the clasp and hung it on her ear. The second followed in short order. “You will take these home with you tonight,” she said. Jason nodded.

Gayle Lockwood was left in tears, watching as her husband retreated once again into the casino's gaming tables. This was not the vacation that she had envisioned or agreed to when her husband approached her with the idea. She was at a loss as to what to do.

“Beautiful women should only cry tears of happiness,” a man said. His voice carried a hint of warmth and traces of a European accent. Gayle glanced at him. There were lines around his dark eyes. His dark hair hung full and loose to his shoulders. He was clean shaven with a light tan. He wore a dark plum silk shirt, a dark navy waistcoat, with a dark red tie. A gold chain crossed the waistcoat and dipped into a pocket. He was handsome, Gayle decided.

Gray gloved fingers wrapped around what appeared to be an old, ivory walking stick. The head was carved with figures. With tears in her eyes, they seemed to shift and move. He held out a pocket square to her. “Dry your eyes, dear lady, and tell me what it is that troubles you so.”

Gayle accepted the cloth and dabbed at her eyes. “This is supposed to be a vacation to celebrate our anniversary,” she said. “Only my husband, instead of spending time together, is off wagering our savings away.”

“I see. Never one to leave a damsel in distress, I happen to have tickets to a show. The woman I was to escort has chosen not to attend. Perhaps I could convince you to attend with me?”

“A show?” Her eyes brightened. “I would love to see a show! I should change first. Do I have time?”

The man pulled his pocket watch out and checked the time. “You have little more than an hour to prepare yourself.”

“I don't even know your name.”

“Nor do I know yours. You may call me Damon.”

“I'm Gayle. Gayle...”

He raised his hand and cut her off. “First names only for now. Yes?” She nodded. “Your chambers are in this casino?”

“Yes,” she said with a smile.

“Then I shall await your return in the bar. One hour, Gayle.” He leaned close. “Impress me,” he whispered.

Clean up. Every time Arcane got a lead on Devilbone it seems it always came just in time for the clean up work. In his irritation his suit coat seemed binding. Crime Scene was already working the site. Gurneys lined the hall making him thinking it was too much like a factory assembly line. “Corpses to go,” he said to himself.

“This floor is closed,” a uniformed officer said when he approached.

“Quite alright. Who is in charge of the investigation?” Arcane asked.

“That would be me,” an investigator wearing a black pocketed vest said. He lowered the camera he had been using. His dark hair was close-cropped. “Coleman” was stitched on the breast of the vest. “How can I help you?”

“Vested interest in the perpetrator, actually. I was hoping my assistant and I could help you. This is Miss Bouchard. My card.” He held out a business card. Coleman took it and read it. Two simple lines; Stephen Langford, Arcane Investigations. “I believe the perpetrator is an individual who identifies as Devilbone.”

“Arcane investigations? Are you some kind of crackpot?” Coleman asked. “There's no number on this card.”

“Well, I'm not listed in the telephone book, but the means of contacting me in the future, if such need ever arises, will be manifest on the card. I do not intend to interfere with your investigation, but I would like to collaborate, if I may.” He saw a spark in Coleman's eyes.

“Stay in the doorway. Tell me what you think from here.”

“I can set up in the hallway,” Angel said. “I don't need to be in the room itself.” She pulled a square tarp from her bag and spread it out. Two feet to a side and pre-marked with a circle, she smoothed the folds. Slipping off her shoes, she sat lotus fashion in the middle of the circle. Pulling four barrel candles from the bag, Angel set those in the corners.

A metal platter came out of the bag. Angel placed that in front of her. “Need help lighting the candles,” an officer asked. Angel quirked up a smile. Simultaneously, all four candles lit with a violet flame. “Jesus!” the officer exclaimed. Angel began chanting quietly.

Arcane cast his gaze over the room. The bed had been pulled away from the wall. On it lay a young woman wearing only white hose, a garter belt, and a single high-heeled pump. Her belly had been ripped open.

Laying on the floor beside the bed was a man. Shirt and waistcoat had been torn open. His pants were around his ankles. Sunken eyes stared at the ceiling. Where visible his body appeared emaciated.

Twelve bodies circled the bed. Six male and six female. All nude. Outside of the circle two chairs faced the bed. A man sat in one. His pants were around his ankles. An older woman knelt on the floor with her head in his lap. Her slacks and underwear were pulled down to her knees.

The other chair was empty.

“So, Mr. Arcane Investigations, what do you make of it?” Coleman asked.

“A ritual.”

Coleman's eyes narrowed. “A ritual killing?”

“A ritual,” Arcane said, stepping aside and indicating Angel behind him. “The pile of tuxedos and dresses indicated a wedding party. The woman on the bed is the bride. One of these men is the groom. My suspicion is the man in the chair.”

“Why him?”

“What you are seeing is the aftermath of an orgy. The empty chair would be the facilitator. The chair opposite would be the denied. Sexual arousal without release. Judging by the condition of the bodies, I would say they were at it for at least two days.”

“Christ!” Coleman said. A giant violet eye regarded him from the hallway. Angel made a throwing gesture. The eye moved towards the room, rippled, and vanished. “What was that?”

“Angel's version of a drone. When she is done she may have more information for us. Sixteen bodies?”

“Seventeen. There's another woman in the bathroom. What can you tell me about this Devilbone?”

“Not too long ago he attempted a summoning. A girl was horribly injured.”

“Just injured?”

“There was a backlash in the ritual. Several of the participants were injured. The girl was just the worst of the lot. It took a Guardian to heal her.”

Coleman whistled. “The Guardians are involved?”

“I believe Pulsar would very much like to get his hands on Devilbone and repay the pain in kind.”

Angel let out a sigh. With the wave of a hand, she extinguished the candles. She moved the platter and stretched her legs out, leaning back against the wall. Fumbling in her bag, she pulled out a drinking bottle. Pulling up the stopper she drank.

“Are you alright?” Arcane asked.

Pushing the stopper down and replacing the bottle in her bag, Angel said, “Still getting used to being one of the good guys.”

“But why an orgy?” Coleman asked.

“Desire, anticipation, the act, release, all generate energy. I would say that having six couples would generate quite a bit of energy,” Arcane explained. “Angel, what did you see?”

“Do you want to have this conversation in the hall?”

Coleman looked at the techs in the room and the officers in the hall. “Ten minutes everyone. Clear the room. Get some coffee or something.”

Arcane helped Angel to her feet. She stepped into her shoes. “Would you be a dear and put my things back in my bag?” she asked an officer.

“Yes, ma'am,” he said with a smile.

When everyone had gone on their break and Angel entered the room, Coleman closed the door. “I'm not saying I'm a believer, but what can you tell me?”

“I tracked them back to the lobby. Three days ago. The woman in the bathroom, her name is Gayle Lockwood. She has a kerchief tied around her left wrist.” Coleman raised a brow at that. “That was the catalyst. She had an argument with her husband moments before Devilbone made his move.”

“Not unsurprising,” Arcane said. “Women that are feeling neglected are often his targets. Then he introduces them to teenage boys.”

“On their way to a room, the pair ran into our newlyweds here. The bride is on the bed. The groom is sitting in the chair. When they got into the couples' room, Mrs. Lockwood was set loose on the bride. Devilbone got her to admit she was a virgin before they got in here.”

“Virgin sacrifice?” Coleman asked.

“More a sacrifice of her virginity. I'm sure you will end up finding phones in the piles of clothes. The rest of the bridal party were sent texts to come up. Once they came in, the were caught up in the workings, stripped, and copulated with whoever wasn't occupied.”

“Is this for real?”

“Your medical examiner will be able to tell you which of these individuals enjoyed which of the others, I'm sure,” Arcane said.

“Pretty much all of them except our friend in the chair, I'm afraid,” Angel said. “He only enjoyed his mother-in-law's oral ministrations at the end. While she was tormenting him others had their use of her.”

“What about the bride?”

Angel hung her head and stretched her neck, rolling it back and forth. “The bridesmaids dealt with the bride. At least until the conclusion. The individual laying on the floor still wearing his shirt is Damon Woolridge. Or was.”

“I've come across that name before. A low ranking caster,” Arcane said.

“Who happened to come into possession of the devil bone. Which is not here. Woolridge was tricked. His last reward was the bride's virginity. The culmination resulted in the release of the built up energy, focused into the girl's womb. Which also sucked the life energies out of everyone except the newly expecting mother. A pregnancy which lasted about an hour before Ratash tore his way out.”

“Rah-tash?” Coleman questioned, shaking his head.

“Rat-ash,” Angel corrected. “A fomentor of chaos and mayhem. You will probably hear reports before too long of events that might seem random.”

There was a tap at the door. “Come in,” Coleman said. “Back to work,” he ordered when the door was opened. “What now?”

“Now, you finish up your crime scene. We begin to track down a demon with a bone to pick,” Arcane said.

Jason sat back in the limo. His gaze traveled Angelique's recumbent form. She slept the sleep of the magically induced kind. Hopefully for the last time.

It had taken him over a month to plan. Charley finally agreed to talk to Angel for him.

Why should I?”

Because you broke my kitchen.”

I was sick.”

And I took care of you. If it helps, I'll bribe you with clothes.”

What kind of clothes?”

What kind of clothes do you want?”

Girl clothes.”

Done.”

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get clothes in my size?”

Jason smiled. “I know a guy.”

He took Angel and Charley to lunch, along with Al. Angel required the same bribe as Charley once she found out about it. There were parts of the plan Jason didn't like. Al didn't much care for it, either. Angelique agreed. Even knowing the effect the magic would have on her, she agreed. In the hopes that it would go away.

Jason reached down. His hand glowing crimson, he clothed her in one of his t-shirts. Sitting back he pressed the button that lowered the divider.

“We've already separated,” Al said. “The tug is just about at range.”

“Good,” Jason replied.

“The pilot thinks you're crazy.”

Jason chuckled. “I'm rich. The correct term is eccentric. Bladders ready?”

Nodding, Al said, “It'll be sad to see this old girl go.”

“He won't be gentle with it,” Jason said. “It was due to be rotated out. That was why I picked it.”

“I know. All that extra work though.”

“Was about a quarter the cost of what deep water salvage would be.”

The radio squawked. “We're at the limit.”

“Copy,” Al said into the radio. Turning back to the rear, he said, “Show time.”

“Take her to the loft and put her to bed. With any luck I'll be back there before she wakes up.” Jason changed. Pulsar released the door. “Why did you agree with this, Al?”

Al shrugged. “She agreed with it and the dragon likes her.”

“One day I think I'd like to meet your dragon,” Pulsar said.

“No, sir. I don't think you would.”

Pulsar stepped from the car and closed the door. The deck of the barge he was on had been painted with the Key of Solomon. That was overlaid with a thick plastic coating. It had taken Ash over a dozen hits in one spot to crack it. The cost of the limo was at the low end of this project's costs.

Why are you doing this?”

I enjoyed your company. If this goes well, I hope to enjoy more of it,” Jason explained.

There was one open spot in the plastic cover over the outer ring of the Key. Pulsar moved to it, appearing a sharp blade. He knelt over the hole and waited. After a few moments smoke came through a cracked window. Al's signal that he and Angel were gone.

Al said the dragon was capable of masking Angel's departure. Making it seem as if she had left on her own. The same as she had the day Jason tangled with Scruffy.

After a few minutes, the limo sank lower on its shocks. The roof bulged outward. Side glass shattered. Reddish-orange fur covered the forearm. Steel tearing, the roof peeled open.

You...!”

Reek of her. Yes, I know. We had this conversation already,” Pulsar said. He sliced his hand open with the blade and squeezed out blood. Blood that found its way to the Key and activated it. “Ready for round two, Scruffy?” The blade disappeared.

Scruffy broke the limo in half. He picked up the rear and threw it. Pulsar flew out of the way. “Swing and a miss.” Scruffy roared. “I see you're still one fang short. Do the other demons make fun of you for that and not let you play in any demon games with them.”

Standing in the entry to his bedroom, Jason's eyes traveled over Angelique's body. The shirt he had put on her was draped across the foot of his bed. Angelique lay face down. Her arms were tucked under a pillow. Her spread legs were clad in white nylon. Stockings she had not worn earlier in the car. One foot was pointed at him.

Entering quietly, his fingers drew a line up the back of her leg. Angelique buried her head in the pillow. Even then Jason heard the low moan. His fingers followed her curves. Tracing her spine, Angelique turned her head when he reached her neck. A blue eye peeked out from under her golden hair. Jason brushed it back to find a wide smile. “Hi. I was wondering when you would get here.”

“Hi, yourself,” he said taking a seat on the bed. “How are you feeling?”

“Like I had a wonderful time in the back of a limo,” she said, rolling on her side. “If I start thinking too much on the who, I end up with a pounding headache. Did you bring me a present?”

Nodding, Jason said, “I did. It is downstairs on the table."

“My hero,” she teased. “Help me up.” She held out her hand for Jason to take. He stood and helped her off the bed. “Let's go take a look.”

“I'll make lunch. I've seen enough of him for one day.” Jason led the way. Downstairs he went into his kitchen and started rummaging in the refrigerator.

“Did the case hold?”

From bent over, head in the fridge, Jason said, “Held fine. I carted it back instead of stashing it.” He heard the cloth slide off the container.

“Boris!”

“His name is Boris?” Jason asked, standing up and turning around. Only to find Angelique was gone. “Well, that's one way to skip out on a lunch date.”

Pool

Sitting in the darkened study, reading a report by the light of a desk lamp, Jason heard the click-click of high heels in the hall. By the pattern, he knew it was Marlene. The footsteps stopped just as Jason was signing off on the report. Looking up, he saw Marlene standing in the doorway. One hand was up at shoulder level on the door frame. She wore a long green evening gown, one leg exposed through a slit. A long strand of pearls adorned her neck. Open-toed shoes matched the gown.

Wracking his brain, Jason couldn't think of any events requiring their appearance. “What's the occasion?” Marlene simply shook her head slowly. “Are we going somewhere?”

Marlene smiled teasingly. “Mmm hmm.”

“Are we going out?”

“Mmm mmm.”

“Then where are we going?”

“What are you wearing?” she asked, stepping closer.

Jason cocked his head a bit. “Shoes, socks, slacks, briefs, shirt, tie, t-shirt. Why?”

“That's two things too many.” She took hold of his tie. “Come with me.”

Marlene led Jason to the game room. The balls on the pool table were already racked and the rack put away. Marlene turned to him and began loosening his tie. “I'm the challenger, so I will break. For every legal ball sunk the player can choose one item of clothing the other person is wearing and remove it. Or not. When the eight ball is sunk the winner gets to claim the rest of their prize. Interested?”

“What are you wearing?”

“Seven things, not counting jewelry. The pearls are mine. Your mom said so,” Marlene said smiling.

“I accept your terms,” Jason said. “On one condition.”

“And that is?” Marlene asked pulling his tie free.

Jason's arms went around his wife and he kissed her gently. Marlene moaned as he caressed her.

Stepping back, Marlene asked, “What was that?”

“Reconnaissance,” Jason said with a wink.

Marlene retrieved a cue stick and set herself up for the break while Jason unbuttoned his shirt. With a crack, the balls broke. Marlene watched as the last ball rolled to a stop and pouted. No balls went in.

Taking down his own cue stick, Jason studied the table. He chalked the tip and walked around the table. “You sure you want to do this?”

“We already started and it was my idea.”

Jason lined up his shot. The cue ball hit the three ball and sent it into the corner, then spun backward and kissed the five ball, dropping that into the side pocket.

“Getting fancy on me?” she teased.

“You're the one that's all dressed up. Shoes, I think.” Marlene hitched herself up on a stool, crossed her legs, and lifted her foot to Jason. The skirt of her dress shifted to the side, revealing her legs.

“Come get them.”

“Not yet.” Jason lined up his next shot. The four ball joined the other two in a pocket. Looking at Marlene, he said, “Left stocking. We'll leave that on, too.” She smiled.

Marlene smirked. “That's fine. No clear shot though. You buried the cue behind my balls.”

Jason considered the table. He took a shot off two rails and missed his balls completely. The cue ball rolled to a stop. Marlene slipped from the stool and picked up the cue ball. She set up and made an easy shot of the nine ball putting her in position to sink the eleven ball.

“You've been practicing,” said Jason.

“Just a bit,” Marlene said. “Right shoe.” Jason sat on the stool Marlene had vacated. She came over and untied the lace before pulling his shoe free. She set that up on the bar. “My winnings pile.” She looked Jason in the eye and her gaze lingered. “Sock, too,” she finally said and pulled it off, tossing it on the shoe. “Maybe having you off balance will improve my chances.”

Turning back, Marlene scanned the table and chose her shot. The butt of Jason's cue stick caressed her left leg.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

Jason smirked at her. “Enjoying my stocking.”

“Tease.”

His arm went around her and she stood up. “Absolutely,” he breathed into her ear before planting a kiss behind it.

“My shot,” she said. Jason released her and stepped back. Marlene took up her position to shoot only to find the cue stick back on her leg. Marlene pulled back her stick to take her shot when Jason's cue brushed the bare skin of her thigh. “That's not yours yet.”

Jason chuckled. “I beg to differ. The ring on your finger says otherwise.”

Smiling, Marlene said, “Point taken. But it isn't yours to play with yet.” Jason removed his stick to allow Marlene to shoot. Her shot sank the fifteen ball, but the cue ball followed it. Marlene growled. Walking around the table, she fished the cue and the fifteen ball out of the pocket. She rolled the cue to Jason and spotted the fifteen. She looked up to Jason smiling. “What?”

“What's the ball worth to you?” he asked her.

She matched Jason's smile. “What are you offering, sir?” she asked in a teasing manner.

“Come here.” Marlene walked to him slowly. He set his stick aside, put his hand on hers until she released it, then set it aside as well. “Thirty-second time-out.”

“For what?” she asked quietly.

Jason cupped her face with both hands and kissed her deeply. When Marlene pressed herself into him one arm went around her. Eventually, Marlene broke the kiss and rested her forehead against his chin. “Was that thirty seconds?”

“Does it matter?” he asked quietly. “I love you.” She looked up at him, her face bright with a smile and her eyes sparkling.

Marlene took her cue and walked slowly back around the table, feeling Jason's eyes on her as she went. She reached out for the fifteen ball, turned back to Jason with an amused smile, and dropped the ball back into the pocket. “I believe that also entitles me to your...shirt.”

She left her stick behind and walked slowly back to him. Each hand caught her skirt holding the slit open to show him her legs. Standing before him, she dropped the cloth. “Turn around.” He did so. Marlene's hands slipped under the hem of his t-shirt, slowly pushing it upward, allowing her fingers to play along his muscles.

“That isn't yours yet,” he teased.

“The ring on your finger says otherwise, Mr. Scott. Or was that a complaint?”

Raising his arms so Marlene could lift it off, he said, “Never.” Marlene pressed a kiss to the middle of his back.

“Now, then. It appears that I am a ball ahead.”

“But it's my shot,” Jason said turning to face her.

“Just remember that you're off-balance on the account you're missing a shoe,” she said grinning.

Glancing at the table, Jason said, “Actually, we're even.” With little effort, he sank the one ball. “Now, I'm a ball ahead. And your right stocking.”

“Claiming them yet?”

“No.” His next shot took the six ball off the table. “Hmm. Garter belt, I think.”

“You're deliberately dragging this out,” she said with a pout.

“No. I just plan on enjoying you dressed in a manner I find pleasing. All night.”

“All night? We do have to be in the office tomorrow.”

“You can get dressed for the office after you shower. In the morning. Has the doctor cleared you for playing?” he asked concerned.

Smiling gently at him, Marlene said, “As long as it isn't uncomfortable I should be fine.” Jason nodded.

“I just want to be sure,” he said, lining up his next shot. The seven ball rolled into a pocket. Standing up and leaning on his cue, he said quietly as if thinking, “Dress or panties. Dress or panties.” He walked around the table letting his gaze travel Marlene's body. “Dress,” he said. He turned Marlene gently around and slowly lowered the zipper of the dress.

Slipping his hands inside the back of the dress, he rubbed upwards, thumbs on either side of her spine. “Oh!” she gasped. When his hands reached her shoulders and he began pushing the dress down her arms, Marlene said, “You are taking liberties with me, sir.”

“Absolutely,” he said placing a gentle kiss at the nape of her neck. When the sleeves came free, he knelt, slowly lowering the dress and running his fingers down her legs. It lay in a puddle on the floor. Jason caressed one leg, lifting it free of the dress. Marlene let out a low moan. He did the same with the other leg before lifting the dress and tossing it over his shoulder.

Jason caressed the outside of each leg as he stood. Marlene bent over resting her forearms on the side of the pool table. “Win or lose, I want a massage,” she said.

“As you wish,” he said with a kiss to the base of her spine.

“Knock that off. You haven't won yet,” she teased.

Taking up his cue again, Jason looked over the table. He deposited Marlene's dress on the bar. “Look! Now I've got a winnings pile!”

“That's because I'm wearing the rest of it.”

“Sexily, too.” Jason shot, potting the cue ball directly.

“You did that on purpose.”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because if you want to take my pants off the other shoe has to come off first.” Marlene stuck her tongue out at him. “Promises, promises.”

Marlene pulled the cue ball out and walked around the table. She chose her shot and laid the cue on the felt.

“Where is your dress?” Jason lifted the dress off the bar.

“Busted,” Marlene said with a laugh. With a loud clack, she potted the twelve ball. “Your other shoe. I'll collect it momentarily. Hi, Beth.”

“And your bra?” Beth asked.

“Not wearing one, mom.”

“Playing dirty pool?” Beth asked.

“Absolutely. Want to take on the winner?” Marlene asked.

“What are the stakes?”

Marlene grinned. “Oh, the usual. Get stripped then anything goes.” She sank the ten ball. “And sock.”

“Tempting,” Beth said in a tone that indicated she wasn't tempted at all. “Which one of you wants to sign off on this?” she asked, holding up an envelope between two fingers.

“What is it?” Jason asked. “You want something to drink, Beth?”

Marlene bent over and lined up her shot. “Croystetter's letter of resignation.” Marlene hit the cue ball off-center, sending it spinning to the side, wide of where she had been aiming. “I'll have whatever the pregnant woman is drinking.”

“One apple-cranberry coming up,” Jason said.

Marlene spun on Beth. “Give me that and you don't have to do that.”

Beth handed over the letter with a grin. “Just supporting my best friend. I fully expect it in return if and when I ever find myself in your condition.”

Marlene opened the envelope. “What condition. Almost nude in the billiard room?” She read through the letter.

“Yeah, let's go with that and ignore the 'pregnant' part of your condition,” Beth said rolling her eyes.

Mind on the letter, the clack of balls barely registered to Marlene. “It reads that he is resigning due to his poor health under the advice of his doctor. Finally, the old bastard will be out of the board room. I hope you brought a pen.” Beth handed her one and she turned to the table to sign the acceptance form Beth had put with the letter.

Jason sank the eight ball in the pocket in front of her. “I win.”

“Maybe,” Marlene said. “But not as much as I did, I think.”

Reaching over, Jason slipped his fingers into his wife's waistband. A crimson flash made her panties disappear.

“You didn't just...”

“He did,” Marlene said.

Jason shrugged to Beth. “She made the rules. I'm just collecting on it.”

“So, besides being the bearer of glad tidings, what brings you here tonight?”

Beth stared at Marlene for a moment. “You forgot.”

“Forgot?” Marlene smacked herself in the head. “The movie! I'm sorry. I had other things on my mind after we talked.”

“Obviously. I dropped the movie off so Mentor could load it into the system,” Beth explained.

Marlene turned to Jason. “I hope you don't mind.”

Jason shrugged again. “Where do you want to watch it?”

“Somewhere I can be comfortable,” Marlene said.

“Bedroom. I'll make some popcorn.”

“Do me a favor,” Beth said.

“What?”

“Don't be naked.”

“Nude.”

“Uncovered!”

Boris Devin sat in the launch. A Panama hat sat on gray hair. Sunglasses covered his eyes. A white collared, short-sleeve button-down shirt covered his portly frame. Khaki shorts and sandals completed his ensemble. The launch traveled smoothly through the waters off Monaco. The pilot of the launch was a woman Boris found attractive. Her shoulder-length brown hair was held back by a sun visor. She wore a white bikini, which added to her attractiveness to Boris, and sunglasses. They were the only two on the boat.

The pilot brought the launch in expertly. Two crewmen climbed on and tied it off. “If you will come with me,” the pilot said. Her accent was American. Possibly Midwest. Boris wasn't sure. Behind his glasses he watched the way she swayed with each step. In the lounge she was speaking in whispers to another individual. She turned to him and said, “Please, make yourself comfortable. Your host will be with you shortly. Would you like something to drink?”

“Da. Whiskey, please.” His Russian accent wasn't as think as it had been in the years past. He had been born in St Petersburg in 1859. He had been a student with, and later of, Rasputin. Boris had sensed the changing winds and had left Russia before Rasputin had been assassinated.

He had gone to Germany and taken up the name Heinrich Wagner. He remained Wagner until just before the start of World War II. Boris had fled Germany before World War I. The haven he found for himself had been Nova Scotia.

Boris painted. He never quite considered his own works to be exceptional. Simply passable. He had sold them when he needed money or given them to friends.

As a sorcerer, Boris was weak. Except for a few missteps, he was the equivalent of a magical wallflower. Generally beneath the notice of those with greater ability. His greatest ability was that of being a summoner. The drawback to that was when dealing with demons one had to either have serious bribes or be really good at demonic diplomacy. Sometimes both.

The woman brought him his drink and then she settled into a chaise on the deck. Boris considered her as a possible model for a painting. He sat in the lounge, sipped at his drink, and admired the woman.

Looking past the woman, Boris noticed the boat's wake. He realized that it had been in motion for some time and the movement had gone unnoticed.

“Ahem.” Boris turned to face a dark haired man with a thin mustache. “Monsieur, the lady will see you now. If you would follow me, please.” The man's French accent was thin. Much like Boris' own reflection of his native accent.

The man lead him up two decks to another, more richly appointed lounge. “Thank you, Pierre,” a woman's voice said. It niggled at Boris' memory. Pierre stepped aside to reveal the lady.

“Angelique!”

Something struck Boris in the back of his legs driving him to his knees. “Title!” Eyes watering, Boris looked up to see the woman in the bikini. She held a collapsible baton.

“Lady Darque,” Boris corrected himself. “How may I be of service?” There was a container sitting on a low table in front of Angelique covered with a crimson cloth.

“Hello, Boris. It's been a long time,” she said sweetly. “Karin, please, I need Boris's assistance. Don't harm him further unless he refuses.

“Boris, it has come to my attention that at some point in time in the last century someone has cursed me.”

Boris started to sweat. “I... I don't understand.”

“Well, it seems that anyone, I suppose I should specify, anyone male that I have been intimate with tends to end up dead after I leave them. If it hadn't been for a recent assignation I never really would have known how it was occurring. I mean, over the years I knew that something was happening to the gentlemen that I had come to know, but the details eluded me. In part because of massive migraines that I would suffer when I tried to think about them in the hours after.”

Pulling a kerchief from a pocket, Boris mopped his brow and neck. “I... I claim guest-right.”

“Really Boris. Several points I would like to make if I may. Point the first, the last time I was your guest you cursed me. We will get to the why of it later. Second point, and you're going to love this one Boris, this isn't my boat. I never stepped foot on it before today. In the event that the water isn't deterrent enough it has been warded against summonings.” Angelique smiled unkindly.

“How... How did you find out?” Leaning forward Angelique took hold of the crimson cloth and pulled it back to reveal Scruffy's head. “That's not possible!”

“Boris!” His eyes shifted from the container to look at Angelique. “You are not accepting the evidence before you? I recall you having a hrumguroth on your list of demonic minions. The last individual that I was intimate with was, quite obviously, capable of dispatching your friend.

“Now, what I want, first and foremost, is the curse removed. Then we will move on and discuss your reasonings for it in the first place. My associates are more than capable of finding out whether or not you have done as I have asked.”

“Why should I? You will just kill me after.”

“Boris, I will kill you if you don't and see if your death doesn't end it on its own. If you do,” she smiled sweetly, “then I will let you go. I give you my word.”

Reaching into his shirt, Boris was stopped by Karin's baton. “Slowly.” He nodded. He took hold of a thong about his neck and drew forth a crystal. The crystal held a violet glow that shifted on its own. Boris took hold of the crystal and snapped it in two. Violet swirled about the crystal before dissipating.

“It's done.”

“He speaks truly, my lady,” came a voice from behind a curtain.

“Very good, Boris,” Angelique said. “Now, why?”

“You... You rejected my advances. I was insulted.”

“You were insulted? Boris, you are a fat, sweaty pig! I was insulted that you would even think I might be interested.”

Head dropping, Boris asked, “Are we through?”

Angelique regarded him for a long moment. “Yes. We are through. Pierre, be a dear and see him off the boat, please.”

“Oui, my lady. Monsieur Devin, come with me.” Pierre lead Boris back the way they had come.

“She should have let me shoot him in the head,” Karin said.

Pouring drinks, Pierre said, “Ever ze louve. Your way is messy, no? My way is cleaner and keeps our Lady's word. I let him go.”

“Where?” Karin asked. She took her drink and downed it.

“A walk of a mile or so to return to town.”

“Cleaner?”

Pierre smirked and pointed down. “All he need do is learn to breathe underwater. The Lady will be in no further danger from that wolf.” Karin's brow furled. “His name. He was calling himself the wolf sorcerer.” He in turn downed his drink. “Ah, Captain. Our Lady is well pleased and leaves you this in thanks.” He set a think envelope on the bar. “My companions and I will be departing momentarily.”

A portal opened revealing a luxury hotel suite. “Adieu,” Pierre bid the captain. Then he and his companions stepped through and the portal closed.

Charity events. Mix, mingle, and shake hands. One of the banes of Jason's existence. He had found one person he could discuss art with, but they got called away. He had met a few actors. They had been willing to talk about current projects and upcoming projects, but like a lot of other people here really didn't want to talk shop. It was an evening out. An attempt to enjoy himself, according to Trese.

It wasn't working. He hated these things.

A smile, a laugh that might have been hers brings with it the empty feeling of knowing she wasn't here. Each time he had to force himself to smile and carry on as if nothing were wrong. It made it even harder when someone would ask about her.

Leah.

He should have dragged Trese along. At least then he would have a buffer. There is nothing worse than being alone in a crowd.

Eyeing the door as a possible escape, Jason checked his watch. He'd been here less than an hour. There was an art display on the upper floor. Jason made his way to the stairs. Several sculptures stood in roped off squares or on pedestals, depending on their size. Photographs and paintings covered the curved walls except for the doors that led to the auditorium.