Snippets

Greywind

Nothing really stood out to him until he stopped before a photograph that could have been taken from the overlook where his cabin used to stand. His eyes started taking in the little details.

“I owe you an apology,” a woman's voice said from near his elbow. Jason turned to find Angelique standing several feet behind where he stood. She wore a full-length sleeveless green silk cheongsam dress. Dark gold dragons seemed to hold her breasts. Her shoes matched the green of the gown. Her hosiery was a lighter shade. Two bamboo sticks held her honey blonde hair up in place.

Stepping closer, Angelique said, “I want to apologize for running off the way I did.”

“At least there were no reports of a naked woman running from my place,” he said with a smile. “You look lovely,”

Angelique dropped her head in acknowledgment of the compliment and smiled. “Thank you. Are you with any one tonight?”

“No.”

Her smile widened. “Good.”

A waiter passed by. Jason took a glass from his tray and handed it to Angelique. “Did your issue get resolved?”

“Honestly, I don't know. I did find out when and why it happened. And Boris said it was removed, but I haven't found the time or anyone worthy to test it. Yet,” she added giving him a little smile. “And I would like to repay you for your efforts on my behalf.”

“I find I could use some company,” Jason admitted. “I've been spending entirely too much time inside my own head of late.”

“So, what was it about this photograph that got your attention?” she asked standing closer. Jason caught the soft scent of jasmine.

“It reminds me of a place I'm responsible for. Land my grandfather set up a conservatorship with the state of Colorado. A little off to the left I can see the stump of a tree that had died. Behind us a little way would be the cabin.”

Angelique heard something in his voice. “It sounds lovely. I'd like like to see it sometime.” Jason nodded. “What happened to the cabin?”

“Leah and I went up there a few years back. It was when we first met Trese. Saved her. Beat up the bad guys. And the one that got away burned it down.”

“Oh. I'm sorry.”

Jason smiled at her. “What brings you here tonight?”

“Slumming,” she said with a grin. “Needed a night off from planning a bank robbery. We're going to hit one of the smaller branches and hope we get away with enough to buy lunch.” They started walking. Angelique slid her arm into Jason's.

“How about if I take you someplace private and keep you occupied tomorrow? At least through lunch? That way I don't have to worry about tracking down a wanted bank robber.”

Approaching the roof of Guardian's Tower, Pulsar watched the flight shaft open. A section of roof sunk in several inches and pulled back to one side. Without slowing his pace, Pulsar flew to it, did a forward roll, and dropped into freefall down the shaft. Once past, the flight shaft closed above him.

Power flaring, Pulsar slowed his descent. The access to the common floor opened and he flew through it. He flew down the hall and landed in front of the common room. “I'm here. What's the emergency?”

Kris and Ash sat on one sofa. Warstar stood behind them. On another sat Dani and Trese. On the third was Warren and Brad. Off to the side, Spellbinder floated holding a lotus position. Her eyes aglow with witchsight. The entire scene looked entirely too much like a tribunal.

“We're worried about you,” Warren said.

“Why?”

Ash pointed at the wall. It lit up with a picture of Jason and Angelique from the charity event. “Trying to figure out why you would be spending time with her.”

“Because you didn't want to get dressed up,” Pulsar said. He looked at Kris. “Because you were spending time with your sister.” He looked at Dani and Trese. “Because you two had a date. Sorry, Binder. I didn't think to ask you. Anyone else who I might have considered asking wasn't here.”

“He isn't under any undue influence,” Spellbinder said. Pulsar's chin dropped and she felt his glare.

Warren stood. “What about Leah?” Pulsar's head turned to look at him. Then he turned to walk out.

Flying over, Brad grabbed him by the shoulder. Pulsar's fingers jabbed into Brad's arm. Brad's hand slid off Pulsar. “Bastard! What did you do?” Pulsar walked out.

“You're pissed. I get it,” Warren said. “The nerve strike was a nice touch. He's still crying about it.”

“Do you blame me?”

“Dude, we were worried. We thought she might have laid the whammy down on you.” Warren tapped the button on the controller. “Come on, come on... Ah! Damn it. Fifteen seconds to respawn.”

Using his own controller, Jason unloaded his weapon into the alien that had killed Warren. “Did any of you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, the only magic she needed she has just by being a woman? When she isn't being a demonic hellwitch she's actually pretty nice. Third floor. There's some grunts laying down covering fire.”

“Got them.” Warren slipped into a stationary gun and started chewing up the third floor balcony. “I guess we didn't think of that. Mostly that would be her fault for being a demonic hellwitch 98% of the time we run into her.”

Running for the stairs, Jason cleared the landing and reloaded before going up. “How's Kate settling in?”

“She's fine. Her and Jennie are pretty much inseparable. So fully integrated and adopted. Mom loves her. Kate's going to bake some magical cookies to win dad over. Rail's clear. Let me head up these stairs.”

“Don't!” There was an explosion. “Tried to tell you those stairs were mined. It isn't like she gets invited to tea every Tuesday.”

“How did you run into her anyway? Switching weapons.”

“Birthday party. Use the shotgun. There's some alternate ammo for it in a room down the hall.”

Charley checked the address on the piece of paper Jason had given her. She was in the right block of the right street. She checked the numbers of the buildings again. “Five numbers there. Five numbers there. Four numbers there. All four match.” She approached the door. Charley found the missing number on the stoop.

Picking it up, she saw that the screws were still in the metal number. Smiling, she put the number in its place and pressed on each screw in turn, embedding them into the siding. It wasn't lined up perfectly, but it was back in place. “One good deed.”

Opening the door she found a steep narrow staircase. “And no good deed goes unpunished.” Charley ducked inside and started her ascent.

At the top of the stairs there was a small office. Behind the counter was a black man. The hair on each side of his head was trimmed close in a fade, while the curls atop were full and thick. “Are you George?” Charley asked.

The man stared and his mouth worked, but no sounds came out. “Goddess,” he finally said. “No. No, I'm Robert. George! George is working in the back. George!”

I've got a two o'clock with George for a fitting,” Charley said.

George!” Robert yelled again. “He'll be right out. George!” he yelled again, turning towards the door to back that George had just exited. George stuck a finger in his ear and wiggled it.

He said you were big. He just didn't tell me how big. Charlemagne?”

Charley,” she corrected. “Nobody uses my full name anymore. Can you help me?”

Smiling, George said, “I make clothing. All I need is your measurements and I can pretty much make anything you might want.”

What about nylons?”

Except those. And shoes. I'm not a cobbler. Lingerie, pants, slacks, shirts, blouses, skirts, dresses I can do. All are custom made by me.” He lifted a section of the counter and stepped out from behind it. “Wow. Seven four.”

You can tell how tall I am just by looking?”

It's a gift,” George replied. “Bust...”

Ample,” Charley said.

Very ample,” Robert said. Charley sighed.

Why don't you come in back? I can play with the tape measure and do it official. Mr. Scott says you can have free reign on what and colors.” George indicated the door to the back. “Bob...”

You need my help?”

Charley went into the back. “If I do need your help I'll call. Okay?”

Ask her to model! She'll look great modeling whatever you make for her. We can work on getting a catalog together finally!” Robert peeked through the door and watched Charley walk. “Damn!”

Bob, let me remind you of a few things. First off, you're gay.”

I know that. I'm just thinking about a catalog and your brand.”

Second thing, if you don't stop she's liable to break you if you annoy her,” George said.

Break me?” Robert's eyes went wide.

You've got free time. Play on your computer and do a search for women over seven feet. Focus on costumed types. Super strong costumed types.” George went in and closed the door behind him.

Angelique lay face down. Her arms were tucked under a pillow. Her spread legs were clad in pale green nylon. Part of her was covered with a sheet. One foot rested on something and there was a gentle weight on that ankle. She moved her foot and realized it was on Jason's leg. When her foot moved, Jason massaged each side of the tendon.

Memories of the night before tumbled through her mind. She smiled and enjoyed the sensations that still lingered on her body. Jason's fingers massaged her calf. “How's the head?”

Rolling over, the sheet slipping to the side, Angel said, “Clear. No hangover.”

“You didn't act drunk like you did the other couple of times.” Angel shook her head. Jason smiled. “Good.”

“I think it's safe to say that the situation was resolved.” She rose up on her knees. “What are you doing? Taking nudes of me?” she teased. Angelique straddled Jason's leg. “Let me see.” She reached for the sketchbook in his hand. He released it. Turning some pages, she said, “Planning on painting me?”

“Well, I'm no Heinrich Wagner, but...”

Her eyes turned to Jason. “Why do you say that name?”

“The museum has a painting of you that he did around 1930. The Lady in Blue or The Blue Lady. The museum can't make up its mind. I've got a print of it. Decent artist.”

“Wagner was the name Boris took after he fled Russia when the Communists took over.”

“Oh.” Angelique closed the book and set it aside. She took the pencil out of Jason's hand and tossed it on the floor. “What now?”

Leaning close, Angelique said, “Now I finish paying you for your services on my behalf. When I am satisfied I have done so, I will make use of your shower or bathtub while you prepare,” her eyes darted to the alarm clock, “a meal.” She smiled. “Too late to call it lunch. Too early to call it supper. And you foiled my planning of a bank robbery.” She kissed Jason fully on the mouth.

They floated over the bed and Jason turned on his back and sank into the mattress. “A Guardian's job is never done.”

Door closing behind her, Charley unslung her purse and set it on a table inside the door. Stepping out of her shoes she made her way to the window. New York was lit up. Lightning flashed through the clouds. Rain was closer to falling.

Toying with her necklace, an angel with its wings upraised, Charlie was lost in thought. “Mentor?”

Yes, Charley?”

Play music for me.”

Preferences?”

Something mellow.” The Carpenters started flowing from speakers. Karen was singing about rainy days and Mondays. “Apt,” Charley whispered.

Turning from her window she went into the bedroom. On her dresser sat a jewelry box. She opened the top and took out an antique looking key. She closed the box. At the foot of her bed was an equally antique looking hope chest. The key slipped in the lock and turned easily.

She lifted a tray out and reached into the bottom. Charley took a box out of the chest and replaced the tray. She closed the lid of the chest. The key she set on her jewelry box. The box in her arms she carried like it was a great weight.

Charley set the box on her coffee table. Pulling the table closer, she put her legs up on the couch beside her. Her fingers absently caressed the pattern on the lid. “Hello, Rachel.” She set the lid aside. Maybe if she asked nicely, Warren would fix the box for her.

She tossed the idle thought to the side, knowing it was just an attempt to distract herself. The box contained a photo album. Charley took that out and set it behind her legs. Under the album were loose photos, chains, charms, tassels, gumball machine rings and figurines, refrigerator magnets, and postcards. All that was left of Rachel and Charley's relationship with her.

Charley fished out a large red crystal heart on a chain. She stared at it for some time. Charley began sorting through the loose photos. Some of them made her smile. When she finished with the photos, she put them back in the box and took up the album.

The chain of the heart was tangled through her fingers and the heart rested against her palm. She flipped the cover of the album open. The photos told the story of her relationship with Rachel; meeting in college, similar classes, similar interests. Some of the photos were of them posing for art classes or photography students.

A photo of the two of them sitting in a restaurant. Their first official date.

Charley slowly flipped through the pages. Carefully studied each photograph. Holidays and birthdays. Random dates. Random snapshots. Until she came to the last page of photos. There were more pages in the album. All blank. Rachel had stuck a note that read “Road Trip!” in the page without photos, marking her intent when they got back.

Even now, the road trip seems to keep going.

Mentor?”

Yes, Charley?”

Is Jason in?”

Yes.”

Is he awake?”

He and Marlene are watching a movie.”

Replacing the album in the box and covering it with the lid, Charley slid the table back. She stood, picked up the box, and held it close to her chest. “As long as I'm not waking them.”

Mentor asked, “Would you like me to announce your imminent arrival?”

No. Thank you.” Charley made her way out the door and down the hall. She took the elevator down a floor. By the time she made it to Jason's rooms she counted herself lucky she didn't run into anyone else.

The door chimed and almost immediately opened. “Come on in,” Marlene said.

I hope I'm not interrupting anything,” Charley said.

Marlene shifted her legs out of Jason's lap. “Not at all. Just watching an old movie. Would you like something to drink?”

Charley shook her head. “Did my share for the night, but thank you for the offer.” She looked at Jason and smiled. She could tell his eyes were picking out details. Like the fact she had been crying.

Have a seat.” Charley settled in a nearby chair. “What can I help you with?”

For the second time that night, Charley recounted her story. When she was done she passed Jason the box. “This is what I have of Rachel.”

Jason took the lid off the box. Marlene shifted to see while Jason flipped through the loose photos. “What is it you'd like me to do?”

I've got entirely too much empty wall space in my apartment,” she explained.

You want me to paint you something of Rachel?” Charley nodded.

I'd appreciate it. You can hold on to the box as long as you need to.”

Marlene pulled a braid of hair out of the collection. “You and Rachel?” Brown and blonde were woven together.

Smiling, Charley said, “Rachel did that. Cut some of our hair and braided them together. She had one and I have that one.”

What happened to her?” Marlene asked.

Died from a drug overdose. I never found where she was buried.” Charley stood up. “I'll let you get back to your movie.”

You're welcome to stay,” Marlene told her.

Thanks, but I'm tired.”

Jason put the photos back in the box. “I'll scan what I need and I'll have this back to you in a day or so.”

That's fine,” Charley said. “Good night.”

Tom Abernathy closed the door to Marlene's office behind him. “You wanted to see me?”

Yes, Tom. Thanks for coming. I realize that, nominally, you and your office cover the upper Eastern seaboard.”

Yes, Ma'am.”

How much contact do you have with other offices?” He approached her desk. Tom put his hands on the back of a chair facing her desk. His fingers started tapping. “Tom, sit. You're going to annoy me. It's bad enough when my husband hovers.”

Yes, Ma'am.”

Tom, you've dealt with me since I was Charles' personal assistant. You call me ma'am one more time and I'm going to throw a banana at you.”

Tom sat. “May I inquire as to what this is about?”

You may.” Marlene slid a file across her desk. Tom opened it and started browsing the contents. “Her name was Rachel Adams. She was living in Las Vegas. To the best of my knowledge she was a prostitute.”

I see that. What is it you would like me to do?”

You were involved in the investigation Charles had done when Trese came into our lives.”

Peripherally,” Tom said. “I was made aware, but since Trese hadn't come into my area of business, there wasn't much for me to do.”

Marlene smiled. “Tom, what I want is the same detail that was put in Trese's case put into Miss Adams' case. I want to have copies of her arrests, medical records, autopsy report, but most importantly, I want to know final disposition. If she was cremated I want to know. If she was buried, I want to know exactly where.”

May I ask why?”

It matters to a friend, Tom. It matters to a friend.”

• 2 weeks later...

Mind if we join you?”

Charley tore her gaze away from the city. She blinked and then realized it was Marlene and she had Angel in tow. “Not at all. What are you two up to?”

Worrying about you,” Angel answered.

Me?” With a smile, Charley laughed. “I'm fine.”

Marlene and Angel pulled chairs out on either side of Charley. “I've got a question for you,” Marlene said. “What would you do if you knew where Rachel was buried?”

She's in an unmarked grave,” Charley responded.

Marlene smiled. “That isn't an answer to the question.”

Charley looked down at the remains of her lunch. “I never gave it much thought. I lost any hope of actually finding where she was years ago.”

We found her,” Angel said.

Her grave isn't unmarked. I've had a temporary marker placed,” Marlene told her. “Figure out what you want to do. Whether you want to move her or have a permanent marker placed where she's at.”

How can you be sure?”

It wasn't easy,” Marlene said. “Lost records and such. That's why I enlisted Angel's help.”

Angel smiled. “As for being sure,” she placed a strand of braided hair in Charley's hand. “You could have told me before. I would have found her for you.”

“Alrigh', Mr. Ross. If'n ye'll step inta the scanner, we'll get this party started. The scans will allow us ta have some idea o' the things that be done ta ye.”

Archie looked at the device with four arms hanging down to the floor. “What will it do?”

“In and of itself, it will give us a 3D render of your body. Layer by layer. It's a broad spectrum scan, Archie,” Kris said. “Nervous?” Kris smiled reassuringly to him.

“Just a wee bit, Doc.”

“Whene'er your ready, Mr. Ross,” Irish said.

Archie stared at the machine. “Archie. I prefer Archie, Dr. Kendall.”

“Very well, Archie,” Irish said.

Nightwing pushed Archie towards the platform. “C'mon, Bug. I don't have all day.”

“Mr. Michaels!”

“What?”

“If'n ye canna show the man proper respect, then perhaps ye should depart.”

“I'm showing the bug all the respect he deserves!”

Irish stood up and looked down from the observation deck where the controls were. “Mr. Michaels, git out o' me lab!”

“Brad, leave,” Kris said.

Nightwing looked up at Kris. “I'm on babysitting duty.”

“And I've just relieved you of it. Archie doesn't need a sitter.”

“I don't trust him!”

The lab door opened. Ash and Trese walked in. “Your objection was noted. Your continued objections have been noted,” Ash said. “You were asked to leave.”

“But...” Eyes flashing purple, Trese encased Nightwing in a ball. “What the...?” Trese pulled her hand back, palm forward. Nightwing rolled towards the door. When he was in the hall, Trese gave the ball a push. Nightwing rolled away.

How is she doing?” Marlene asked.

So far, so good,” Huntress answered. “Her training is progressing nicely.” Kaneda nodded.

Cavalier's head kept moving from side to side, as if she were reading something. “I'm getting a glitch from her helmet. I'll take it back down to electronics when she's done.”

Do that,” Paladin said. “Readings from her staff are nominal. I'd say she's good there.”

Ash glanced at Marlene. “Armor is good. Heavier than most around here wear. Doesn't seem to be holding her down.”

Jason wanted it be able to stand up to most small arms fire. Including lasers, blasters, or whatever the hell else they might be called.”

Shadow Hunter dived for cover. Bullets stuttered across the brick wall. A figure in green and yellow dove at her with a winged jet pack. A blast from the staff sheared a wing off, sending the agent into a death spiral. “Lawn dart!”

Popping her head out from behind the wall, she was met with another hail of bullets that drove her back. “How many of these assholes are there?”

Between five and seven normally,” Huntress told her.

Found it!” Cavalier exclaimed. “Just a few seconds.”

Peering out, Shadow Hunter saw a green vest with a serpent on the chest through a car's windows. She pointed her staff at the car and released a burst into it. The agent was caught between the moving car and another wall. “Oops?”

He's down and no longer a threat,” Paladin said. “As much as we try to avoid it, dying is a possibility on both sides.”

Marlene bumped Ash in the arm. “How's Archie doing?”

He's doing fine. Michaels is being an ass. Trese got him out of the lab and out of the way.”

How'd she do that?”

Ash tried not to laugh. “Hamster balled down the hall. Then Kris locked the door to keep him from coming back.” There were chuckles from the others.

Oh, wow! That makes a major difference!” Shadow Hunter called out. Bracing her staff, she sent a blast into the ground. It launched her into the air. She landed on the roof opposite. Running for the far edge of the roof, she looked down into an alley. “Where's the fire escape? Who designed this city?”

Jumping from the roof, she used a blast from her staff to slow her fall. “Any chance you can put a silencer on this thing?”

I'm afraid not,” Paladin said.

Another agent ran along the side of the building, only to be met by the end of the staff when he came to the corner. “No problem. It was just a thought.” She looked through the cracked visor of the helmet. “Two down.”

A quick visual scan aided by her helmet, Shadow Hunter saw that the other three were in the building. One of them was near a window facing her. She ducked into a doorway, out of sight. Out of a pouch came a lock-pick gun. She slid that into the keyhole and activated it. A second later, she slid it into the deadbolt and activated it again. A turn of the knob and the door soundlessly allowed her entry.

One down, two up,” Shadow Hunter said to herself. Moving silently down the hallway she came to what was someone's workshop. Freestanding shelves lined half the room. Other shelves and bins were along the walls. A counter separated the workshop from the storefront. Stairs up were off to the side.

The agent walked between shelves, glancing to either side. The gun in his hands didn't seem to be the kind that shot bullets to her. “Who are these guys and what are they using?” No one answered her. “Right. Research later.”

Flipping the staff over her shoulder, she slipped it into its sheath. She jumped high onto one of the shelves, knocking it over into another. She climbed the shelves like a ladder. Then she ran across the tops shelves towards the stairs. The agent was caught in the falling metal and contents of the shelves.

At the top of the stairs, she ran into the fourth agent. Shadow Hunter hit his gun with a forearm. Rounds tore into the wall. The heel of her fist snapped his head back. She tossed his limp body down the stairs.

Shadow Hunter peeked around the corner and saw the hall was empty. She moved silently down the hall towards a door at the end. Bloodbath stepped into the hall and sneered at her. He charged down the hall.

Morgan froze.

Bloodbath stopped inches from her, frozen in place, claws ready to rake her.

That's a fatality, Morgan,” Huntress said.

Shadow Hunter pulled her hood down and released her helmet. “I guess I'm not ready for that rematch yet.” She could feel herself shaking.

Come on up and take a break,” Paladin told her. “We'll go over the exercise and give Cav a chance to confirm your helmet.”

Just make sure the coffee is ready,” Morgan said. She slowly made her way back down the stairs.

Irish made small adjustments to the image she was scanning. “Ooch.”

“Something wrong?” Jordan asked her.

“Wainwright. The man was an absolute genius. The way Archie's wetware joins with the biological elements, it's fascinating.”

Jordan nodded, agreeing with her. “The man was broken upstairs. Imagine the things he could have done if he were on the right side of things. As much as I hate to agree with it, I think Jason did the right thing calling that nuke in.”

“You really think that?”

“Aye, Love. I do. Wainwright would have just gotten worse over the years.”

Rocking back in her chair, Irish put her head back. “I honestly ha'e no idea if this can even be reversed. An' from what Archie said, it was all automated. It's like the man was using lasers when the rest of medical science was knocking holes in peoples skulls to let the demons out.”

Standing in front of a cracked mirror, Kris toweled her hair dry. It had felt good to have Trese and Aaron at dinner. Even Melner and Kira. Sharing old memories, remembering absent friends. If only Elyse could have made it. They were Guardians again. Still.

Hanging her towel up, Kris turned and flicked off the light. She made her way down the hall, back to the open room that was whatever room it needed to be at any given time. Sitting room, dining room, meeting room, bedroom.

Jason had turned off all the lights except one lantern. The blackout curtains were open, allowing a cool breeze to blow in. The table, instead of being cleared of the remnants of their meal, held more food. Four more roasted chickens. More potatoes.

I thought you were going to put stuff away. Not add to it.”

By the light of the lantern, Jason was flipping through one of his sketchbooks. Kris noted the absence of his pencil. “Did you mean what you said? That you want to be a part of it?”

Yes. You heard Trese. I'd be in the way.”

Not necessarily.” He looked up at her and closed the book. Kris saw her name on the cover. “I want to try something if you're willing.”

What?” Curiosity touched with... Excitement? Nervousness? Maybe a little of both, Kris decided.

Jason turned. The book disappeared from his hand. “Last Christmas... The Christmas before you yanked me here, I gave Sharon her sight back.”

I remember,” Kris whispered. Her mind churned with the implications.

It will hurt. I need to reopen the wound. I can't heal the stump, but if I have a fresh wound to deal with, maybe it will work.”

As a surgeon, Kris understood the necessity of cutting away the bad to let new growth take place. “Do it,” she said quietly. Jason nodded.

Stand or lay?”

I plan on sleeping on that mattress,” she said. “I don't want to have to clean blood out of it first.” Turning her back, Kris braced her arms on the table. Jason moved the shoulder of her shift to the side. It slid down, caught by her wrist.

Sorry,” Jason said.

Kris flipped it off her hand. The entire shift fell to the floor. “I lost my modesty a long time ago.”

I'm sorry for that,” he said quietly.

Kris smiled over her shoulder. “Planning on having your way with me?”

Sliding his hand over her belly, Jason hugged her gently. “Yes.” A leather strap appeared. Jason placed it against her mouth. Kris accepted it and bit down to hold it in place. “I am sorry that I will hurt you again.” Kris nodded.

Then she screamed into the strap.

Waking up, Kris realized she was face-down on the bed. It was still dark. Her wings shifted. She smiled and gave them a gentle flap. Her stomach rumbled. Kris was ravenous. “That must be why there was more food on the table.”

Yes,” Jason answered. Kris sat up. Working on his second chicken, Jason had stripped the first down to bones. “It was either more food or MREs or protein packs.” He glanced at her and then stared. “That was totally unexpected.”

What was?”

You still have gray in your hair, but you look about twenty years younger.”

Kris grabbed a potato out of the bowl and ate it on the way to the bathroom. In the mirror, she recognized the woman she used to be. “Unreal,” she whispered. Her belly rumbled again. “Save me a chicken.”

Or two,” Jason called back.

Kris came back slowly. “How are you doing?”

I dealt,” Jason said, pulling another strip of meat off a chicken. Kris noted her shift draped over the back of a chair.

Slipping into it, Kris said, “When you healed me before you took it on yourself. The same with Emily. When you healed Sharon, you blinded yourself for hours. How are you dealing? You don't have wings.” She dropped herself into the chair.

And every nerve ending in my body screamed at me about it,” he said. “I dealt with it.”

Kris tore a leg off and bit into it. There were other questions she wanted to ask, but every time her mouth was empty she took another bite of something.

Jason got up and scraped food waste off his plate into the waiting bin. He returned to the table for an empty bowl. Then for another plate. By the time he was through, the only plate left on the table was hers and she was picking remnants off the carcass. She didn't realize how much she had eaten or how much time had passed.

Standing up, she dumped what was left of the chicken into the bin and passed Jason the plate. “A wipe-down of the table, and I'd say we're done for the night.” When Jason was done washing the last plate, Kris washed her hands and her face. “I'll take a shower in the morning.” Kris nodded.

Jason took his shirt off. The negators gleamed in the light of the lantern. Kris carried the lantern to a table near the mattress. She watched while Jason got comfortable. “Something wrong?” he asked.

Still hungry, I guess.”

I pretty much shot my load with six chickens, roasted potatoes, and the beans. Protein bars or MREs are pretty much it until I go out again.”

Kris shifted her wings and the shift fell around her feet. “Different kind of hunger.” She crawled on the mattress, straddling Jason. “Don't worry. I'm a doctor. I know what I'm doing.” Her hand grazed him, felt him respond to her, and she smiled. When she leaned in and kissed him, Jason responded to that, too.

Kate?”

Yeah, Lene?” Kate took a baking sheet out of the oven and set it on the counter. “I'm sorry, Marlene. I didn't think.”

Marlene smiled. “It doesn't bother me. Honestly, I've missed it.” Kate smiled back. “Keep on using it if you want. Where's the sketchbook Jason gave you?”

Flipping her oven mitts off onto the counter, Kate said, “I'll get it for you. Jason change his mind and want it back?”

No. I just want to look through it for something.” Kate pulled it out from the closed bottom of a book shelf. “Thanks,” Marlene said when Kate handed it to her.

Sitting on a stool across from Kate, who was collecting cookies off the baking sheet with a spatula, Marlene began flipping through the sketchbook. She stopped on the picture of Aaron and the nameless girl.

This one is different,” Marlene said. “All the others he did of Aaron has his face scarred. Not this one.”

Yeah,” Kate agreed. “He said he didn't know who she was.”

Marlene frowned and shook her head. “No. He said he hadn't met her yet.”

I don't think he would say that now,” Mary said. Aaron was curled up on the couch beside his Nana. Mary rocked gently side-to-side with Sandy in her arms. “If you were to ask him again.”

You mean...?” Marlene said.

Stacy, Jason's mother, I counted her a friend. That picture reminds me of her. And she reminds me of you.”

Walking from the wraparound porch to Warren's latest addition, a deck around a new pool, Marlene asked, “Why so big?”

Kate laughed. “With the sheer number of you guys that will show up for the pool parties, mainly. How's the water?” she called out.

“Warm,” Trese answered.

“And Warren just had to add the deck to the porch while keeping the pool far enough away from the house in the event of a malfunction?”

“Are you kidding? The dealer made a big deal of the fact that the liner is comparable to ballistic cloth. He thought we were crazy when we told him how big we wanted the pool to be. The frame is well reinforced for the extra size,” Kate explained. “Then there's Warren's deck around it, further reinforcing it.”

“When do we eat?” Dani asked.

“As soon as Warren and Jason get back and fire up the grill,” Leah said.

“Not sure I can hold out that long,” Dani said with a laugh.

Most of the contingent were on floats of one type or another. Kaneda was the odd man out, being the only male in the pool. Warren had dragged Jason off to help with one chore or another.

Two motorcycles sounded from the front of the house. One noticeably louder than the other. They abruptly cut off. After a moment, Jen, Amanda, and Billy rounded the house and came up the steps to the pool deck.

“Sorry I'm late. I hope you don't mind that I brought company along,” Jen said.

“No problem, Sis,” Kate said. Marlene pulled her cover off, revealing her bikini-clad body. “Oh, God, I'm jealous.”

“Why?” Marlene asked.

Kate dropped the shirt she was wearing onto a chair, revealing her own one-piece bathing suit. “We both had kids. I got cursed with stretchmarks. You, you look better than you did before you got pregnant.”

Marlene laughed. “It's a gift. And I started working out again as soon as I could. As for the stretchmarks, well, there's a secret to that.”

Jen shucked off her shorts, revealing her own black one-piece bikini. Billy's gaze went from Jen to the women in and around the pool. “I died,” he said quietly. “I died and went to bikini heaven.”

“Hey, Jen,” Dani called out. Jen looked up. “You've grown up nicely.”

Jen blushed a little. “Thanks, Dani.”

“Who're the others?”

“Billy and Amanda. Friends”

“Hello, Amanda,” Kris said.

“Hi, Dr. Tyler,” Amanda said.

“Wait a moment before you get into the pool,” Kris said. “Could you hand me that black thing on the table there?”

“This?” Amanda asked, picking the item in question up.

“Yes.” Amanda handed it to her. Kris fit it into her ear and pushed a stud. “Pulsar.” She waited a moment. “Are you busy? Home in on my signal. Because miles to go. See you soon.” She took it out and handed it back to Amanda. “Back on the table, please.”

Putting the tools they had been using back into the carrier, Warren asked, “What was that all about?”

“On a guess, I'd say Jen finally showed up and, as we expected, had Amanda in tow.”

“'Miles to go'?”

“'The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep.'

Robert Frost. I made a promise to Amanda. Kris just called in the marker.”

“So why am I wearing all white? And what's with these boots?”

Dani smiled. “Stop complaining. It's all part of the training exercise. The white will make your mistakes stand out better.”

“That doesn't explain these boots,” Trese complained.

“They will help you keep your footing in adverse conditions,” Dani explained. “Similar to what will go with your uniform. Here we are.” Dani led Trese into a white room.

“Ooh, I am just so going to disappear in here,” Trese said sarcastically. “I'll just blend into everything.”

“Except the ceilin' an' the observation windows, darlin'” Irish said from the observation station. “Now, your task is ta keep ye from bein' anythin' but white. The more of the floor an' walls ye can color the higher yer score will be.”

A robotic ball pitcher rolled out. “Our friend here will be tossin' water balloons at ye. I want ye to deflect them. No' out and out blocking, Theresa. Blocking will take more energy and strength than deflection. Ye understand?”

“Yes, ma'am.”

“Good. An' ye get bonus points fer everyone tha' ye can hit Dani with.”

“What!? I didn't agree to this!”

Irish smiled. “No flamin', dear.”

“Oh, this is gonna be fun,” Trese said laughing. Dani fumed.

“You said water balloons!”

“Aye. An' I also mentioned color. The water had dye in it.”

“Obviously,” Dani said exasperated. One side of her face was blue. The other was yellow. There was a splash of green where the colors had overlapped. Very little of the walls and floor was white any longer. “This better wash out. I've got a casting call tomorrow morning.”

“Tallyin' up the score now,” Irish said. “Looks like a solid 91%, Theresa. That's your mark for any further attempts.”

“Okay,” Trese responded. Her shirt was mostly still white. A blue balloon got through on one side, while a red one had tagged her on the other. Her pants and boots were stained by splatters from blocking the balloons too low.

“Commence rinse.” Sprayer heads descended from the ceiling and began spraying the walls. The dye rinsed off easily, leaving gleaming white walls behind. With the walls cleared, the sprayers began on the floor. From the walls towards the center. Two others descended towards the girls and began rinsing them off.

“Oh, look,” Dani said. “Our first shower together.” Trese blushed. “Relax. I'm teasing.”

Trese took hold of the sprayer above Dani. “Turn around. Let me rinse your hair out.” Running her fingers through Dani's hair while spraying it, Trese said, “It's okay. What's the casting call for?”

“Police procedural. Episode work. I'm not sure what the actual part is. We go in, read, and they decide who they like best for whichever role. I could be a college student, a prostitute, the murder victim. Or I could be cut loose and all I'm out is the time it took to drive to LA and back. My turn,” she said, taking the sprayer from Trese.

“You'll be there for the whole day, Dani. Regardless of the outcome,” Jason said from the observation booth. “Take Trese with you. Do some clothes shopping for her.”

“Awesome!”

“I've reserved a suite for the two of you for a couple of days.”

Coming out of her room wearing a short kimono-style robe and her hair damp, Dani pulled a slice of pizza out of the box and warmed it in her hand. Trese sat on a sofa. The TV was on, but the sound was so low it could hardly be heard.

“What's wrong?”

“I get the feeling Jason wanted me out of the way for some reason.”

Dani chuckled. “This wasn't Jason. This was Charles. I've got a list of mandatory items to get for you. At least three dresses. Different colors. Different styles. Shoes as necessary. Slacks. Blouses. Hosiery. Jeans. Whatever. With enough wiggle room that I can get a few things, too.” Trese frowned. “What? Do you have an aversion to clothes shopping?”

“Just wondering what I've gotten myself into,” Trese said quietly.

“Normally, I'd go out, but I have to be up early. And if we did go to the places that I'd usually go, I would have to answer to Jason or Charles about why I was there with a sixteen year old. Pizza?”

Trese waved it off. “Had enough for now.”

Talking around pizza in her mouth, Dani said, “I figure after I get back we'll head out and start the fun stuff. We can start the shopping, see what's what. Want to see a movie? Concert? Museum?”

“I guess,” Trese answered noncommittally.

“We could talk about what you've gotten yourself out of,” Dani offered.

Trese wrapped her arms closer about herself. “Where's your mom?”

“Here in LA right now. She travels a lot. Always has. Doing one job or another.”

“Where's your dad?”

“Dead. He was killed on a job when I was little.”

“What kind of job?”

Giving a half-smile, Dani said, “Would you believe me if I told you he was a spy?”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Had a stepdad for a while. He disappeared. No one seems to know where he got off to. I got bounced around a bit as a kid. Lived with my dad's parents while I was in high school. For stability. My summers were either in New York or here. I annoyed Jason when he was in high school. I used to tag along with him a lot. He and Charles are family.”

“How often do you see your mom?”

“Whenever I can. You'll meet her tomorrow. She'll be having dinner with us.”

“What does she do?” Trese asked, turning to face Dani.

“Lots of things. Acrobat, detective, sensei, trainer, profiler, and general beater-of-badguys. One thing you should know before you meet her, she's blind. So if she acts in a way you don't expect, that's the reason for a lot of it.”

“How was she blinded?”

“In the same accident that killed my dad.”

“Oh,” Trese said quietly. “I'm sorry.”

“What about your parents?”

“I never knew my dad. Mom never said much about him. She was a mom. Cook, baker, mender of scraped knees. She played guitar in a band. I remember that. The purple shirt I wear, that was hers. It used to have the band's logo on it. Kind of a cool thing for a band from a Podunk town.”

“I thought I heard something about a stepfather.” Dani saw Trese shiver. “Another time. When we know each other better.” Trese nodded.

The posters and marquee read three fights were scheduled for the next night. With six fighters to choose from Jason didn't like the odds of picking Sharon's student at random. He was given a lanyard with a pass dangling from it. He was further given rudimentary directions on how to find Sharon.

Could have told me who your student was,” Jason said to himself. “'Excuse me, but could you direct me to the sexy blind blonde trainer?' That would so not go over well with you.”

Stopping at an intersection of halls with people moving up and down all of them, Jason looked around. He tried to find any indicator of where he should be headed.

You look lost,” a woman said. Jason turned to face her. “Jason?” With a squeal, Shannon Welles threw herself at him. When he caught her she wrapped her legs around his waist, and her arms around his neck. “What are you doin' here? And where be my girl Leah?”

I'm here looking for someone.” Jason looked at his watch. “Leah is in London. Probably having a dinner of bangers and mash with a pint to wash it down. Laying the island girl act on a little thick, aren't you?”

What's Leah doing in London?”

European tour. Haven't you been in touch with Renea?”

Shannon slid down. “Ah, well, uhm, ghosting. Nothing I'm contractually signed for through the agency until next month.”

Leah is on a two week tour of Europe. Officially, the tour starts on Monday. Renea wanted you to go along.”

Who are you looking for?”

Sharon Anderson.”

Shannon smiled. “This way. She be trainin' mah man.”

Shannon,” Jason said with some annoyance.

She grinned. “He likes it.”

I like the Jersey girl that lost her accent.”

Leading him down a hall, Shannon said, “You're no fun.”

Which is why I'm dating Leah. She has a way of pulling the fun out of me.”

Shannon slipped her arm through his. “And to think you could have had me.”

Or Celeste.”

Now, that, Mr. Scott, is a nasty thought. Celeste doesn't deserve you. And you sure as hell don't deserve her.” She pushed through a door.

Hey! What are you doing with my girl?” Jason looked at the man that had called out. Six foot, black, two hundred, maybe two hundred twenty pounds of muscle.

Relax, Darian. This is Jason Scott. Leah's boyfriend.” Shannon broke away.

Oh.”

And he's here to see me,” Sharon said.

You a fighter, Scott? You got the look of a fighter.”

Only when I have to,” Jason replied. “Darian Powers. Heard of you. Not from Sharon.”

You ranked? Got a belt?” Darian persisted.

Black today. Sometimes a brown one.” Jason shrugged. “Or an orange one.”

Darian came closer. “Darian, don't,” Sharon warned. Darian's fist slammed into Jason's palm with a loud smack.

You always lead off with a fast strike,” Jason said. “Leaves you open to people that know what to look for.”

Smiling, Darian said, “You're alright.” Jason pushed his other hand closer to Darian's neck so the other man could feel his fingertips pressing against his artery. “You could be a contender,” he said, looking down at Jason's knife hand.

What do you think of Darian?”

First impression?” Sharon nodded. Jason shifted the Diablo into a higher gear. “I don't like him. He reminds me of Michaels. Feels he has a need to prove himself to everyone. Who throws a punch like that at someone they just met?”

I'm sorry. That was kind of my fault. I told him you were one of my students.”

What happened to teaching self-control and discipline? That was what I needed.”

Putting her head back, Sharon said, “Darian's an inner city kid. No father figure. A lot of anger. He has one younger sister. When I first met him, he was doing anything he could for money to take care of her. He has the fire, so I offered to train him. He's worked his way up through the ranks. Two years now, he's been undefeated.”

So, he is better capable of taking care of his sister.”

She's in law school now. Due to take her bar exam this year or next year. Two kids that have done good with a little direction in their life.” Jason nodded. “Wanda is supposed to be in town today or tomorrow. Coming in to see the fight. That was a nice counter strike, by the way. Darian said he never saw it coming.”

He's too focused on dropping his opponent with that first shot.”

Agreed. A bad habit I haven't been able to break him of. Or any of his other teachers.”

Brad pulled his gray McLaren 570S Spider into the drive of his parents' political home in the suburbs of Washington DC. Jenny hopped out and not-quite ran to the door. Brad turned the car around, expecting an abrupt departure. Shutting the engine off, he sat for a moment before getting out. He pocketed the keys, sighed, and walked slowly towards the door Jenny had disappeared into.

Hello, Netty,” he said to the cook when he entered.

Master Bradley,” Netty said in greeting. “They're waiting for you in the parlor.”

Thanks, Netty.” Brad left the kitchen and went down the hall. He listened. Not to the words, but to the voices. He heard Jenny asking questions. His father and mother tried to answer her. Will tried to get a word in.

But not Steph. Brad frowned. Stephanie tended to be the loudest of the four and always had something to say on every subject.

He entered the parlor. “Where's Steph?”

That's what we wanted you here to discuss,” Senator James Michaels, his father, said. “She's been kidnapped.”

First Jen. Now Steph. This family is cursed,” Will muttered.

Have they made contact?” Jen asked.

Yes. Don't involve the police,” the Senator said. “Further demands will follow.”

Crossing his arms, Brad leaned against the inside of the archway. He shot a quick look at Jen. “How did they contact you?” she asked.

They sent us a video recording on a memory stick,” his mother answered.

I want to see it,” Jen said.

It's in my office. The computer is on,” his father said. Jen headed back towards the hall. She gave Brad a quick nod on the way by. He saw her pull her phone out of her pocket when she was out of sight of her parents.

Brad watched his family. His mother and father looked at each other. Will tried to disappear into the sofa. “So, what's the plan?”

We wait until they make contact again. We find out what their demands are. We keep her safe.”

Shaking his head, Brad said, “There's not a damned thing we can do that will keep her safe if they decide to harm her. In the meantime, business as usual. There's nothing wrong. Keep your career safe.”

What's that supposed to mean?” James demanded.

Same thing it always means, Dad. Your career is what is important. Not Jen when she was taken. Not Steph now. Hey, Will, got any plans to be kidnapped so Dad can schedule around it?”

You're out of line!”

Am I?” Brad asked.

Got it!” Jen said running past Brad.

Where are you going?”

Business as usual, Dad. Living up to your expectations. Jen's got schoolwork to do. I've got a date tonight. Feel free to call when you'd like me to stop by for another ten minutes.” Brad turned. “Gotta go.”

Turning from side to side, Lisa Sheffield checked her reflection in the mirror. She smoothed her skirt. Her makeup was minimally done. Reaching for lipstick, her eyes shifted to white then back to her natural color. Her hand was flat on the top of the dresser.

Shit.”

Are you alright?” Mentor asked.

Yes. Just a vision. Barely a blip, but fairly important. Rouse Brad. Tell him his mother is coming.” Lisa left her bedroom, rapped on Jen's door, and went inside. “Hey, time to get up.”

Bare back uncovered, grumbling, Jen buried her head under a pillow.

None of that,” Lisa said, pulling the pillow off Jen's head.

Whas the probem?” Jen mumbled.

You've got about ten minutes to make yourself presentable. Your mother and Steph are inbound.”

Jen rolled over. “Shit.”

That's what I said.”

Jen eyed Lisa. “What are you all dressed up for?”

Lunch date in an hour.”

Oh, right,” Jen yawned. “Whassisname.”

Lisa took Jen's hand. “Exactly.”

Think it will go anywhere?”

Yes. To a restaurant and a free meal. Beyond that, I'm not counting on it.” Lisa tugged Jen up to a sitting position. “Come on. Motivate. Get yourself presentable.”

Jen stretched. “I don't wanna.”

Jen took the simple expedient of tying her hair back, slipping on loose pajama bottoms, and tossing on a t-shirt. Riding the elevator down to the common floor, she yawned. She scratched the back of one leg with the slipper on her other foot.

Please tell me there's coffee,” she mumbled.

A full urn,” Mentor replied.

Thanks for that.” The door opened and Jen headed towards the common room. Mother and sister were sitting, talking with Ash and Charley. Jen headed straight for the coffee.

Why do you look like you just woke up? It is almost noon.”

Really, mom? Just woke up? I think I've been awake almost fifteen minutes now.” Jen took her coffee to one of the other couches and sat.

Out late on another adventure?” Steph asked.

Yeah. The great adventure of studying and doing homework,” Jen said. She fought the urge to be testy. She wasn't entirely sure she was successful.

Don't be snippy,” Steph shot back. Nope. Not being successful.

Jen yawned again. “Sorry, Sis. Long night with the books coupled with an unexpected family visit. Why didn't you call ahead?”

I'm sorry, Jen,” her mom said. “We were in the area and thought we would stop in. Where's your brother?”

Probably still sleeping,” Jen said.

I'm not.” Brad's left eye was not-quite swollen shut. His left arm was in a sling, the hand drawn up near his right shoulder. A bruise from a bullet showed near his collarbone. “It just takes me a little longer to get from place to place right now.”