Converting Burning Wheel into HERO

lou_tennant

I have a copy of Burning Wheel in my possession and do not like the system. What I do like is the life-paths presented there and a couple of other elements to do with character creation.

I have been thinking about what to run as my next FH campaign and I got to wondering whether I could convert BW over. Building the LPs as Packages and using this as a basis for character creation. I know HERO is a points-based character building - rather than generation - having played and GM'ed since Champions 3, early JInc, DI, etc.

I then thought, "I can't possibly be the only one in the HERO world to have had this thought", so why not check online and see how others have fared.

Re: Converting Burning Wheel into HERO

If you like the life path thing you might want to check out Fuzion. It was a version of HERO that did some random generated backstory elements. Most of them only led to "suggested" perks or complications to take based on the life path generated. (I do not know anything about Burning Wheel so it is entirely possible what they call life-paths are something entirely different.)

I have a copy of Burning Wheel in my possession and do not like the system. What I do like is the life-paths presented there and a couple of other elements to do with character creation.

I have been thinking about what to run as my next FH campaign and I got to wondering whether I could convert BW over. Building the LPs as Packages and using this as a basis for character creation. I know HERO is a points-based character building - rather than generation - having played and GM'ed since Champions 3, early JInc, DI, etc.

I then thought, "I can't possibly be the only one in the HERO world to have had this thought", so why not check online and see how others have fared.

I'm not familiar with the Burning Wheel game, but it sounds like what you want could be done with extensive Templates (called "Package Deals" in former editions). It would take a lot of work up front from the GM, but you could build Cultural and Job based Templates and have a teared system with some Templates being Prerequisites for others and so on.

Or just use Templates, period, without modification. A Template does a pretty good job as suggested abilities for your character. "Here are the base things you really should have, here are some options to add to those."

I don't know the Burning Wheel RPG, but if you put up some life paths we could have a stab at converting them.