CO Returnee Question Thread

GestaltBennie

Re: CO Returnee Question Thread

Is there a way to transfer Zen to another player? I have a lifetime membership and have accumulated some but would like to transfer some to my wife.

You might be able to do it using the Questionite Exchange. (Go to the Questionite Store button on the lower right corner of your mini-map, then to the Questionite Exchange button on the lower left of the Questionite Store window.)

The idea would be to have her put up some Questionite for an absurd price, and then buy it from her. You'd have to research the best way to do it, if it's possible. I haven't used the exchange before, and I'm not sure of the pros and cons of doing this.

I know you can buy a freeform character slot but can you purchase use of a pre-existing freeform character to be used under a silver plan?

Is there any Block power which just uses a plain old physical shield?

I have a lifetime sub that I got at pre-release, but have been away from the game for...oh...3 years or so....maybe more.

When I log in my old characters, the game tells me I have to retcon / reset the character's powers. Thus far, I did this for one character, a level 33 "hybrid" freeform. To my surprise, and to the best of my discernment, I was able to pick all the same powers and advantages for the character. If the character build was still legal, why did it make me reset / repick?

I don't fully understand the super stats concept and what REAL impact that they have. Having a bigger number is obviously meaningful, but beyond that how important is the choice of super stat?

One of the things I _did not like_ about the game in the first place is all the loot. It's a pain to keep straight, for me at least. I hate being a junk collector. It seems like they've added more however in my absence. What is the upgrade / fuse stuff all about and how important is it? Can I safely ignore, or must I pay attention to it to be competitive?

I have a lot of builds available to me...but apparently the same powers to pick from which makes it largely pointless. Other than just setting different roles, whats the point?

Is there a way to _skip_ the tutorial? I'm already tired of it again.

My old characters have missions that have been expired due to being too old, but they remain in my mission list. This is annoying. Is there a way to wipe them or something?

Back when I played it was before all the archetypes...I'm pretty sure all characters were "freeform"...back then my characters seemed competitive. I was running around w/ a few of them the last few days and have done some of the alert missions from the upper left hover list, and my characters seem weaker than the other PC's...who mostly seem to not be freeform. Do freeform characters suck now?

I've have the Destroyer mission in Mill City and its 5 levels behind my character that I was going to just clear as practice, but I can't even get past the front door without faceplanting repeatedly. Very frustrating. Is it normal to not be able to solo +5 level content in this game?

With CoH dead, I find DCU too grindy and boring at the endgame, so I want to revive my interest in CO to fill that niche, but I'm getting just as frustrated with this game as I did the last time around. Can you talk me off the ledge, or should I just jump?

I'm a returning lifetime member also and feel your pain.

I think there's more customization available for freeform starting with the Innate Talent. Also your Primary Super Stat affects your Specialization Tree as well as other percolating effects. The only reason I can see for a forced respec is if the Innate Talents have changed so much that whatever you originally were based off has changed.

See the link I provied to the wiki for more info on Super Stats. I think different power sets may focus more on one stat or another so that knowing which one is relevant for your powers is more important. I don't think it is new but may be more emphasized.

Can't advise you on loot. I know it used to have some slight effect, don't know if it has been increased since. I do know as I asked above that apparently you can ignore most vehicle loot lockboxes.

I never really got the roles either. Here's more wiki info on roles but I've never seen it really influence gameplay but I may just be doing it wrong. To me CO doesn't play like most MMOs so that conventional MMO tactics don't really apply even though they give the roles those names. But once again, I just may be missing it.

Yes, should have option to skip the tutorial when you are done crsasting a character. When you see the big spalsh 'I'm done! Take me to the tutorial!" beneath it is a blue button in the center saying "Skip the tutorial". That will drop you in

the Millenium City Powerhouse at level 6 where you can then level up. There is a perk or two you may miss in the tutorial just FYI.

I don't know re aged mission lists or character competiveness. I do know there have been significant revisions to the power trees. I've got one character sitting on the powerhouse for over a week now as I vacillate on how to build her.

The Destroyer mission was always a bear. I haven't tried it again since returning.

Hope this helps you some.

On the subject of "5 man lair"...teaming. It has been my perception, perhaps erroneously, that teaming is not as prevalent or as easy to do as it was in CoH. Is that not true? I've never been invited to a team, and I havent seen much facility for teaming up or managing the teaming process. What am I missing?

*the exceptions being the alerts, but people just seem to run around smashing things, not a lot of chit chat or collaboration.

Is there a way to transfer Zen to another player? I have a lifetime membership and have accumulated some but would like to transfer some to my wife.

About the only way would be to try to game the exchange.

Thing is you can buy zen cards at Wal-Mart and Target both.

Happy gaming.

How hard is it to gather Questionite? I made an electric character and wanted to get the Electro Flight which is only available through Q Store. But it costs 200,000 (!) Q. My thousands of accumalated Zen form my lifetime status is still woefully insufficient to convert to anything near that amount. How much Questionite do the various missions give, and how do I find those missions?

Also, when I get those unlocks from the Q store, is that only for that character or all my characters?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a new question. How much of this is canon? There's a guy who (among other things seems to think he's a real life technomancer) didn't even know there was more than one edition of Champions as a tabletop game, but keeps trying to shove this down people's throats as 'canon'.

EDIT: I should be specific. The fellow claims his character is 'undetectable as a World of Darkness werewolf' but walks around kneading steel into nothing with his bare hands, and uses this document as a reason to piss in the Wheaties of people who are still wearing their 'Champions 132' noob guild tags. (I'm not naming names, but if you're on these forums I suggest remembering Wheaton's Law.)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzHmfdC4jXPpTXpDSmpPUW1aMDA/edit?pli=1

I have a new question. How much of this is canon? There's a guy who (among other things seems to think he's a real life technomancer) didn't even know there was more than one edition of Champions as a tabletop game, but keeps trying to shove this down people's throats as 'canon'.

EDIT: I should be specific. The fellow claims his character is 'undetectable as a World of Darkness werewolf' but walks around kneading steel into nothing with his bare hands, and uses this document as a reason to piss in the Wheaties of people who are still wearing their 'Champions 132' noob guild tags. (I'm not naming names, but if you're on these forums I suggest remembering Wheaton's Law.)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzHmfdC4jXPpTXpDSmpPUW1aMDA/edit?pli=1

That was a doc I put together to help my friends in CORP with the basics and to encourage people to go deeper and buy some Hero books. There's a lot of misconceptions about the world and its tone, especially by those who played at launch and saw only the original designer's pop culture references and came to the infuriating conclusion that it was a parody of a superhero world. The primer ended up longer than I wanted, in part because Cryptic hasn't done all that good a job at explaining the basics of the world, and in part because the CU is pretty damn big.

As for this gent, I also say, "don't smack people in the face with canon" in the RP advice section -- and I try to help out where I can with questions and settle disputes.

CO's canon is 5e and 6e; prior to 5e isn't canon as far as CO goes, and the most recent work supercedes all others. I tried to be as accurate as possible, but it's not a cut and paste job, so errors could have crept in, and this does only scratch the surface of the setting.

I sleep though all the fun stuff. I don't often get to use the 'I've been playing Champions for thirty years, and can say you have no idea what you're talking about.' Surprisingly that line never goes over well in meetings at work.

The guy is saying his character is a WoD werewolf but wants to castigate others for canon violations? As far as canon violations go, I also figure everything is open once you allow for multiple dimensions.

If it talks like a putz and it walks like a putz, odds are it's a putz. Sorry the noobs had to deal with him.

I guess I'm a little late in responding to this. I thought I had, but I must've not gotten around to it. I'll give it a go anyway. Hope it's a little useful.

I have a lifetime sub that I got at pre-release, but have been away from the game for...oh...3 years or so....maybe more.

When I log in my old characters, the game tells me I have to retcon / reset the character's powers. Thus far, I did this for one character, a level 33 "hybrid" freeform. To my surprise, and to the best of my discernment, I was able to pick all the same powers and advantages for the character. If the character build was still legal, why did it make me reset / repick?

A while back, we got three super stats instead of two, and a forced respec along with. If you hadn't rebuilt at that point, then that's probably the reason.

I don't fully understand the super stats concept and what REAL impact that they have. Having a bigger number is obviously meaningful, but beyond that how important is the choice of super stat?

Super stats all give you increased damage, and other bonuses according to what role you're in. Since your super stats will usually be your highest stats (I say "usually" but I can't think of any time when they wouldn't be), you'll want them to match up with the stats that your most important powers scale off of. For example, most heals scale off of PRE, so if you're a support type you'll probably want PRE as one of your super stats. However, there's a heal based off of CON, which is tailored for tanks. So, a bit of matching.

Also, you now have

Specialization
trees. The first one you get will be based on your Primary Super Stat. This makes your primary super stat a pretty important choice.

One of the things I _did not like_ about the game in the first place is all the loot. It's a pain to keep straight, for me at least. I hate being a junk collector. It seems like they've added more however in my absence. What is the upgrade / fuse stuff all about and how important is it? Can I safely ignore, or must I pay attention to it to be competitive?

Wiki link to Modification System. Basically, this is what replaced the old crafting system. The extent I use it is to plug things in to socketed gear. That stuff starts dropping in the 20's or so, I think. I go about this very casually, and just vendor the majority of my inventory. I may look at it more later, but for now, I just collect all of the non-gear stuff (mods, etc.) and store it in my hideout bank. (There's one of my pet peeves... we're heroes, but we have hideouts . . . not bases???)

So, just plug mods into your sockets and have fun!

I have a lot of builds available to me...but apparently the same powers to pick from which makes it largely pointless. Other than just setting different roles, whats the point?

I haven't figured this out myself. They don't let you actually change much between builds, so it seems pointless. Maybe useful as a gear swap for different roles, though I've never felt a need. You can also change your slotted passive, which I guess gives you some extra flexibility.

Is there a way to _skip_ the tutorial? I'm already tired of it again.

Once you've had one character go through it, you can skip it. Just hit the "Skip the Tutorial" button below the big blinking "I'm Done!" button.

My old characters have missions that have been expired due to being too old, but they remain in my mission list. This is annoying. Is there a way to wipe them or something?

Dunno, sorry.

Back when I played it was before all the archetypes...I'm pretty sure all characters were "freeform"...back then my characters seemed competitive. I was running around w/ a few of them the last few days and have done some of the alert missions from the upper left hover list, and my characters seem weaker than the other PC's...who mostly seem to not be freeform. Do freeform characters suck now?

No, freeforms can be built considerably more powerful than the archetypes, as the ATs are usually missing some key element in their builds. DPS ATs may do slightly more damage, but they generally pay for it with fragility. (Not a build thing, but a bug/feature that they simply do a bit more damage, afaik.) Here's a good build guide to check out for ideas. That forum is pretty decent.

I've have the Destroyer mission in Mill City and its 5 levels behind my character that I was going to just clear as practice, but I can't even get past the front door without faceplanting repeatedly. Very frustrating. Is it normal to not be able to solo +5 level content in this game?

That was covered by someone above. I don't have anything better to say than they did.

With CoH dead, I find DCU too grindy and boring at the endgame, so I want to revive my interest in CO to fill that niche, but I'm getting just as frustrated with this game as I did the last time around. Can you talk me off the ledge, or should I just jump?

This one is ultimately up to you. I sub with the cheap time cards from Amazon. I like it that much. But it's the third MMO I play regularly, behind DDO and WoW. I've been kind of bored with WoW and more into DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online) lately. So for me, MMOs are more things that I pick up and put down than huge time investments like CoH and WoW used to be for me.

Actually, I've been playing off and on the last few weeks as time permits. My son likes the game, so I got him an account and we play together, and I play a bit when he's asleep or at his mothers.

After playing a bit I rebuilt John Wrath again and changed his build to take some powers I don't think were available back at release, or if they were I did not notice them, and tinkered w/ his specialization options. He's now much more potent. I just got done running thru the Vibora Bay instanced arc with him and made it thru the other side to the open Vibora Bay zone, and I've done a couple of the UNTIL arcs w/ him as well. I'm rolling up on 37 with him.

I also re-built a few other characters of mid to low level (Hype, Major Savage, Metacyber) and made a new character (Lord Valorus) to try out the Heavy Weapon set, which I like. My son made several as well; his current favorite is Snake Smash Monster...who is everything you might expect with a name like that. We did the Resistance arc together last weekend and had a blast.

So, I still don't like all the junk / loot management but the fluidity of the mechanics and the solid plot lines have overcome my initial irritations. And I really really like the Swinging travel power!

• 2 weeks later...

Tip for the day (and something I keep forgetting :idjit:) - if you get you receive some sort of mission, perk or level reward and your bags are full it goes to an overflow bag which is shown as a red belt to the right of your other bag slots.