Splinter Cell's "Mark and Execute" ability?

Ragitsu

Re: Splinter Cell's "Mark and Execute" ability?

I'm not sure you do.

Watched the video and checked out the wiki to see what the function of the game mechanic.

Are you trying to model the marking? Or the quick kill? Does the Mark preclude an auto hit?

Auto hits and one-shot kills aren't going to happen in HERO without GM fiat.

You could give a character 8 levels with hit location dependent on a non damaging attack (the mark) so that then a called shot to the head would just require a normal hit.

And you could probably buy some extra damage too.

I'm not sure you do.

Watched the video and checked out the wiki to see what the function of the game mechanic.

Are you trying to model the marking? Or the quick kill? Does the Mark preclude an auto hit?

Auto hits and one-shot kills aren't going to happen in HERO without GM fiat.

You could give a character 8 levels with hit location dependent on a non damaging attack (the mark) so that then a called shot to the head would just require a normal hit.

And you could probably buy some extra damage too.

It's basically the ability to Aim and hold the bonus against multiple targets without breaking concentration, then firing a rapid succession of shots in a second (maybe two seconds) against said targets (regardless of the separate arcs of vision they're in). Buying off Hit Location penalties (as you mentioned) sounds about right, though.

An interesting puzzle! Let's see what I can come up with off the cuff here:

Caveat Emptor: I'm less concerned when I model something about how many dice I had to use or what twist I had to put on the mechanics, and more concerned with capturing the look & feel of the mechanic in question. With that being said, I see this:

Step 1: Mark Target. This is actually Cover, to my way of thinking, just taken to a whole new level. IOW, you're making a to-hit roll in advance. Which raises the next question, as E84 brought up, how do I hit multiple targets at once?

Step 2: Hitting Multiple Covered Targets at Once! This is probably best done as an NPL Auto-Fire, "Only for Marked Targets," (-1/2).

Step 3: Murder. Sam greases a bunch of dudes, which is best done as a Triggered RKA, Set Trigger: Hit Marked Target. You can add dice to flavor, but he should be able to, if not kill, STUN-out most non-armored, unaware opponents.

By itself, Cover isn't a "power," it's just an attack roll made in Advance, so that's probably the hardest part of all of this to model, because there isn't an existing power I can map this too easily. My first thought, as "out there" as it might be, is a super-limited Summon. You Mark a target with cover, and Sam creates another "Sam" who is always with him, and never leaves, who is him, and who has one job: to pull the trigger (you could do it as Duplication as well). Another variant is to build Sam with a "firearms skill" of 4d6 Killing, OIF, "Firearm of Opportunity," thus allowing you to buy Delayed Effect and Autofire.

Of all the ways I can do it, the last is probably what I'd go with. Buy Sam so you own the damage dealing element, then add a Trigger for additional damage to Marked Targets, with Marking being an OCV attack, usually at 1/2 DCV because most people are unaware of his presence. Lemme know if that works.