Passing Strike

Rhino

Re: Passing Strike

It is driving me crazy that I cannot locate Passing Strike in HSMA 6E. Does anyone have a page reference?

It is mentioned on the following pages 7, 8, 12, 13, 83, 96, 97, 246, however no actual definitions are given, but given its appearance in the tables, it is simply a move-by maneuver, essentially.

It is driving me crazy that I cannot locate Passing Strike in HSMA 6E. Does anyone have a page reference?

It's located on the chart on pg 7.

Just look at the definations of what the elements mean and you are good to go.

Though Shuddemell has it right in saying that it's just a MoveBy attack with better modifiers.

One thing I've never been completely able to determine about Passing Strike (as I've never seen a description, just a table entry) is whether the striker takes damage as with a move-by. On the one hand - Move-by results in damage, and this is like an improved Move-by. On the other hand, the table says nothing about taking damage yourself, and possibly that's an intended perk of the maneuver.

Thanks to all. Another question: Is the Velocity damage from martial throw based on the attacker or the defender's velocity? It seems strange if it is based on the attacker's velocity, or I am just having a tough time visualizing it.

I've never had the Passing Striker take damage as with a Move-By / Move-Through. Neither have I seen it done by other GMs. I've played in two Martial Arts campaigns, Ho Dynasty and Dragon Sun Tiger Moon, and seen / used it in other campaigns, too. If Knight Ice9 strikes me with a lance, I don't expect him to take damage, too.[ATTACH=CONFIG]45476[/ATTACH]

for me it would depend on the situation

Both are running at each other add both velocities

95%of the time it is going to be the attacker running into the target

Thanks to all. Another question: Is the Velocity damage from martial throw based on the attacker or the defender's velocity? It seems strange if it is based on the attacker's velocity' date=' or I am just having a tough time visualizing it.[/quote']

Thanks to all. Another question: Is the Velocity damage from martial throw based on the attacker or the defender's velocity? It seems strange if it is based on the attacker's velocity' date=' or I am just having a tough time visualizing it.[/quote']

Defender's Velocity.

ie IronSuit starts her run to do a Move through on the Martial Artist moving 40m. The Martial Artist has a saved phase and chooses to martial throw Iron Suit so she does her regular Martial Damage (8d6 base (20str +4 MA DC's)) + Iron Suit's Velocity/10 which adds another 4d6 damage to her base damage for 12d6. Assuming she hits Iron Suit will take 12d6 damage and be planted in an adjacent hex to the Martial Artist. IronSuit will also be prone with all of those penalties. (this is why Move Throughs and MoveBys against Martial Artists can be really dangerous). Oh and the Martial Artist takes 0 Damage.

The Martial artist just grabs the person moving past her quickly and redirects their velocity into the ground.

As to the question about taking damage when using Passing Strike or any Martial maneuver. Unless the maneuver has the "Takes Full DMG" or "Takes Half DMG" then the user of the Martial Maneuver takes no Damage when using the maneuver.

The discussion in HSMA about what Martial Arts Elements mean starts in HSMA pg 94. It starts with the chart of all elements possible for a Martial Arts maneuver. The next page starts the discussion as to what each thing does.

Picture this - Footballer (U.S. rules) Rhino clotheslines me - he races towards me, puts his arm outstretched to his side, intercepting my neck with his forearm, and down I go. Of course, there are many ways to describe a Martial Throw. I concur with the Beast.

Velocity Damage is supposed to be Relative damage. So if each combatant is moving at 40m the velocity that is added is 80m (also the penalties if velocity based are also relative). Also if you are trying to passing strike anyone moving away from you. Then you subtract the target's velocity from your own.

HSMA pg 101 "Typically a Maneuver with this Element does +(v/10)d6 Normal Damage, where “v” is the relative velocity. (See 6E2 71 regarding relative velocity.) (Bold for emphasis only)

One thing I've never been completely able to determine about Passing Strike (as I've never seen a description' date=' just a table entry) is whether the striker takes damage as with a move-by. On the one hand - Move-by results in damage, and this is like an improved Move-by. On the other hand, the table says nothing about taking damage yourself, and possibly that's an intended perk of the maneuver.[/quote']

No, the character does not take any damage with a Passing Strike maneuver. The only maneuvers where that happens are the Standard Maneuvers, Move-through and Move-by. The martial equivalents (Passing Strike and Charge) do not have the attacking character take any damage whatsoever.

That's how I've always played it (not taking damage), but on an occasion when itwas questioned, I realized there was no definite source.

Re: The lance though, the knight already wouldn't take damage with a Move-by - the weapon would.

Velocity Damage is supposed to be Relative damage. So if each combatant is moving at 40m the velocity that is added is 80m (also the penalties if velocity based are also relative). Also if you are trying to passing strike anyone moving away from you. Then you subtract the target's velocity from your own.

HSMA pg 101 "Typically a Maneuver with this Element does +(v/10)d6 Normal Damage, where “v” is the relative velocity. (See 6E2 71 regarding relative velocity.) (Bold for emphasis only)

And if someone is running left to right across your field of vision and you charge to intercept them at close to a 90 degree angle....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says not to make it too complicated and just treat the target as stationary for damage but add in their velocity for penalties

Jousting lances also had a tendency to break' date=' which is why there were extras. Not sure about war lances. Differences between the two tended to be a blunt or a steel capped tip.[/quote']

Anything can break with enough applied force, it all depends on how much damage the lance takes from the move-by/through.