Hero Central Down for??

Beast

Getting a code 503

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

I hope it is nothing serious

New World Order was getting real good and now a cliff hanger

Re: Hero Central Down for??

Getting a code 503

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

I hope it is nothing serious

New World Order was getting real good and now a cliff hanger

Still down for me; nice to hear! I am prepared to game on by e-mail if necessary, but I sure hope not!

It's likely going to be down for a while now -- the DDoS attacks had moved on from the forums to HC (since I had put some countermeasures in place on the forums to limit the impact). I'm currently looking into what areas of HC were being targeted, but it's likely going to take a fair amount of recoding of the site to enact decent countermeasures there...which is something that is going to need to wait for my time to free up.

On the plus side, folks on the forums should have seen a night-and-day improvement in performance and stability since yesterday.

It's likely going to be down for a while now -- the DDoS attacks had moved on from the forums to HC (since I had put some countermeasures in place on the forums to limit the impact). I'm currently looking into what areas of HC were being targeted, but it's likely going to take a fair amount of recoding of the site to enact decent countermeasures there...which is something that is going to need to wait for my time to free up.

On the plus side, folks on the forums should have seen a night-and-day improvement in performance and stability since yesterday.

Bummer, dude. Well, thank you for your efforts at any rate. The forums are also running a lot better for me, so thank you for that as well!

Bummer' date=' dude. Well, thank you for your efforts at any rate. The forums are also running a lot better for me, so thank you for that as well![/quote']

I will also express my 'bummered-ness'. But, at least this time around, it sounds as if there is a solution...just might take a bit to get it back up again.

*waves cane* Damned kids! Git' off my PBEM website!

Thanks for the update, Dan...

If there is any way that I can help, being physically nearby (though lagging far behind psychologically) and all, please let me know. I know nothing of DDOS attacks, though, so I probably can't help there very much. I hope it won't be too long. Some of my players and I will keep playing by email.-- Jim...

Thanks for seeing and responding to this post, Dan and for updating us!

I do hope we see the rise of Hero Central again down the line.

In the interim, could we have a 'Hero Central' forum for refugees to connect and network?

I am thinking where would be most appropriate to direct people to connect with their GM's and players to continue the games, so to me an actual 'Hero Central' forum made more sense then sending everyone to Player Finders or some other forum. If a dedicated forum isn't necessary, which existing forum would you suggest for Hero Central game coordination?

Hmm. Y'know' date=' I'm not sure where to put a rallying-point Post ... hmm. Hell, right here in the Champions Genre board. :)[/quote']

This post is in the Hero System discussion board. Also, Hero Central has games in many genres other than Champions so posting it in the Genre board may not be the best bet for a central location.

That's likely the way it's going to stay for the foreseeable future, unfortunately. The difference in the server load statistics is night and day with HC down. The attacks are still happening (sporadically), but are not having much of a measurable impact.

That's likely the way it's going to stay for the foreseeable future' date=' unfortunately. The difference in the server load statistics is night and day with HC down. The attacks are still happening (sporadically), but are not having much of a measurable impact.[/quote']

Thanks Dan for keeping it up and going for almost ten years (I think, right?), and thank you for the updates!

That's likely the way it's going to stay for the foreseeable future' date=' unfortunately. The difference in the server load statistics is night and day with HC down. The attacks are still happening (sporadically), but are not having much of a measurable impact.[/quote']

Ouch.

This is maybe an odd question, but I just this morning found this site: http://roll20.net/.

I haven't had a chance to use it, but I sort of wonder if it could be used for a Hero System game, at least temporarily.

Hey Dan

just before HC went down

I had problems uploading hdc files

I was getting file too big messages

I was able to load smaller files(cutting out picture and removing equipment)

Was the DDoS attack using uploading to character pages as the attack?

maybe using a captra like service might help

I know everybody will hate this