Modern-day Pulp?

tkdguy

Re: Modern-day Pulp?

Other stuff to include:

* Lots of people, including myself, still use land lines. Maybe one of the phones the a PC has to use will be rotary dial.

* Restaurants, diners, theaters, and nightclubs with neon signs are a must. The train to/from work takes me past this place every day. The interiors of the nightclubs and restaurants should ideally include a place for live performances.

* As the Doctor says, "bowties are cool." Not many people wear them, but I have worn them on a few occasions, and I'm not the only one.

True pulp ish would have the phones connect via operator. ie "Operator, give me Hershfeld 293" which given the wonders of Siri and other handsfree dialing can be done with a pulpish looking mobile phone.

Re: Modern-day Pulp?

Never forget the power of the opening line in setting the atmosphere. "It rained last night for the first time in two weeks, which is good. We needed something to wash the puke out of the gutters."

I've mentioned Big Bad Voodoo Daddy as a latter-day big band jazz group (which means their work is recorded on modern equipment, greatly improving fidelity).

Hats ... and here I mean fedoras, not gimme caps or tooks ... go a long way toward the pulp style, too.

Something that era had that ours has largely eliminated is service. Bellhops? Doormen? Chauffeurs? Restroom attendants? Servants in general (butlers, maids, handymen, etc.)? Heck, bodyguards, even. You come to expect those in the swanky pulp-era settings, but they are more or less gone now even in comparable settings.