Star Hero, Fantasy Hero: 6th versus 5th

Zelski

I was contemplating a purchase of some books just before Christmas, but I had a few problems with my login. Those are fixed now and I am again thinking about buying some books. Two books I am potentially interested in are 6th ed Star Hero and 6th ed Fantasy Hero. I already own 5th ed for both books.

I'm sure these questions have been asked a bunch of times, but can anyone tell me about the differences? Are there different characters, villains, magic items, spaceship builds, etc., between the two editions? Are the mechanical updates revelatory (in a genre sense) so that I would gain a bunch by buying the 6th ed to learn, for example, space combat?

I have heard that Fantasy Hero has sold out of the online store, but I saw a copy in my local gaming store last Wednesday, so I should be able to get it. Star Hero is still available in the online store.

Also, are there other genre books that would benefit in this question? There was/is a Champions 5th & 6th (and also a Champions Complete). But is there a 6th ed Dark Champions/Horror Hero/Western Hero/etc. that I didn't think of here?

Thanks

Re: Star Hero, Fantasy Hero: 6th versus 5th

I do not know about Star Hero, but the Fantasy Hero for 6th Edition basically has the updated 6E stats and a couple more sample magic systems. While I don't want to cost Hero any lost revenue, I would suggest skipping that one. Personally, I am very interested in the Fantasy Hero Complete (or whatever the final name will be) that is being discussed in the Fantasy Hero forum.

• 2 months later...

One other things the 6e Fantasy Hero has that might be of interest is a much larger selection of sources and especially quotations. They help show some of the game concepts in real terms, the way you would see them in a novel. That and the other insights on fantasy are very valuable. Star Hero is constructed very much the same way.

....Also' date=' are there other genre books that would benefit in this question? There was/is a Champions 5th & 6th (and also a Champions Complete). But is there a 6th ed Dark Champions/Horror Hero/Western Hero/etc. that I didn't think of here? Thanks[/quote']

Well, the material from the 5e Ninja Hero genre book was incorporated into the 6e Martial Arts book. Though I don't believe it was expanded on significantly.

....Also' date=' are there other genre books that would benefit in this question? There was/is a Champions 5th & 6th (and also a Champions Complete). But is there a 6th ed Dark Champions/Horror Hero/Western Hero/etc. that I didn't think of here? Thanks[/quote'] Well, the material from the 5e Ninja Hero genre book was incorporated into the 6e Martial Arts book. Though I don't believe it was expanded on significantly.

Hero Martial Arts has all the material from The Ultimate Martial Artist. It has material from Ninja Hero as well, but I don't know if it has all of the same genre material as I don't have Ninja Hero. In any event, my understanding is that it is not just an updated version of Ninja Hero, it is basically both books plus some. Unless you have both 5E books I would think it would be considered a significant expansion.