Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MisterVimes

GenCon 2013

Re: GenCon 2013

We're there !

I just bought the tickets at 3:00 am.

I reserved the room way back in September, I think. I always say Blank the Block. I just pay full price and don't have to sweat a lot.

Glad you three guys are coming ! Log-Man, you'd better be there or I'm comin' after you !

I made it. I had to go with my hotel room backup plan, which does not please me in any way because of Gencon's operational incompetence, but those are the breaks. I'm still mad about that, but I'll calm down after a couple of days. Money is always tightest for me in August, and this pretty much hammers me right now because of the way Expedia works.

During the entire time I have been to Gencon, I have gotten the hotel I wanted once out of about 14 attempts. That isn't fun anymore. Getting a hotel for the convention should not be like the process of "Find an inn during the Sacred Wombat Festival." Your adventuring days shouldn't start with the hotel room.

Still, it's done and I'm in, but one of these days I swear I'm going to kick down the door of the Gencon housing bureau and happily immolate all of them.

I really lucked up this year. I called my hotel on a hunch. I asked if the hotel (comfort Suites) was in the hotel block, the nice lady at the desk didnt know, so she put in on with the main reservation desk for the chain.

Ted started checking and said" hey thats blocked, I wonder why, let me get in there and see".....he got in and was able to get me a reservation for a room with out any trouble or for me having to go thru the Hotel registration at the Gencon site.

I have actually never dont that, as the Comfort suites are not part of the Gencon group and I have just gotten my reservations there by calling around January.

Here are the full write-ups of everything Evil Fleet is running at Gen Con this year. (Times subject to change).

THURSDAY

Game ID: RPG1342612

Event Title: All-Star Squadron 2: Red Bee's Raiders

Description: Nazi Germany is no longer protected by the Spear of Destiny and America's superheroes rush off to defeat Hitler leaving the home front unprotected. When the Red Bee learns of a plot to blow up the Statue of Liberty, he recruits the few heroes left stateside to thwart the Axis menace. Can heroes like The Whip and Neptune Perkins stop a Nazi invasion when Green Lantern and Dr. Fate aren't available?

RPG Hero 5th edition

Min Players 6 Max Players 7

Age Requirement: Teen 13+

Experience Required: Some

GM: Joe Linehan

Thursday 8am - 2 pm

Game ID: RPG1342532

Event Title: Paranoia Trek XII: Uh-Oh, We're Out of Source Material

Description: Greetings, Troubleshooters! Ignore any event subtitles written by Rommie mutant traitors. Your next mission will be a brand new recycled homage to the greatest Trek of all time. That is all. The Computer is your friend.

RPG Paranoia 2nd edition

Min players: 6 Max players: 8

Experience Required: None

Thursday 9 am - 1 pm

GM: David Wulatin

Game ID: RPG1342533

Event Title: Paranoia Trek XII: Uh-Oh, We're Out of Source Material

(See Thursday 9 am Listing)

Thursday 2 pm - 6pm

Game ID: RPG1343370

Event Title: Day of the Dark Lord

Description: Traffic in the Loop is bad enough without a horde of zombies. Can members of The Overwatch, Chicago's premier super team, solve the mystery before an ancient evil is released on the world?

RPG Mutants & Masterminds 3rd edition

Minimum players: 3 Maximum players: 6

Experience Required: None - rules will be taught

Thursday 7 pm - midnight

GM: Mark Switzer

Game ID: RPG1342614

Event Title: Don't Be Stupid, Debbie!

Description: It had to be done sooner or later. In Dark Dungeons, Jack Chick proved to impressionable readers that roleplaying games were the gateway to the occult. Now, in the sequel, you must pick up where the comic book ends. Do you have what it takes to survive danger at the gaming table and the real world? A parody of 1980s cautionary anti-roleplaying tales as we once again take on the lighter side of horror in a game with both chills and laughs.

RPG Call of Cthulhu 6th edition

Minimum players: 5 Maximum players 7

Age Requirement: Mature 18+

Experience: Some

Thursday 7 pm - 1 pm

GM: Joseph Linehan

Game ID: RPG1343085

Title: Shadows over Baker Street

Description: Strange and terrible things are happening in Victorian London and the great detective is nowhere to be found. Inspector Lestrade has called upon you to find out what's at the heart of this mystery. Can you stop whatever terrible events are about to occur? What has happened to Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson? Why am I narrating? Come see for yourself - the game is afoot.

RPG Call of Cthulhu 4th (Gaslight) edition

Minimum players: 5 Maximum players 6

Thursday, 6 pm - midnight

GM: William Maddocks

FRIDAY

Game ID: RPG1342534

Title: Paranoia Trek XII: Uh-Oh, We're Out of Source Material

(See Thursday 9 am description.)

Friday, 10 am - 2 pm

Game ID: RPG1342613

Title: All-Thrills 1956

Description: A decade ago, a young archaeologist named Pete Ward found an ancient artifact of great power. Now, he is dying. His final wish is for you to take his scarab back to Egypt. Public domain golden age heroes in the gritty world of the 1950s. Continuity that makes your actions count, but doesn't get in the way of an exciting game for newcomers.

RPG Hero System 5th Edition

Minimum players: 6 Maximum Players: 8

Age Requirement: Mature 18+\

Friday 6 pm - midnight

GM: Joseph Linehan

Game ID: RPG1343365

Title: War and Peas

Description: Oil has run dry. Portable kinetic energy stored in food crystals called "jewels" is king. Your team of FarmerCo agents have been assigned a fact-finding, bean- counting mission: Why isn't the Chiwaukee plant meeting its production schedule? Sounds simple, right?

RPG Mutants & Masterminds 3rd edition

Minimum players: 5 Maximum players: 6

Age requirement: Mature 18+

Friday 6 pm - midnight

GM: Tim Fiester

Game ID: RPG1343151

Event Title: Meddling Hands

Description: Tonight's news, 2 shot *click* grisly scene at *click* mother killed her *click* massacre *click* dead *click* murder *click* blood *click* Has the world come to madness? Or has SOMETHING come?

RPG Call of Cthulhu 5th edition

Minimum players: 5 maximum players: 6

Friday, 6 pm - midnight

GM: Dave Cabrera

Game ID: RPG1343426

Event Title: The Thing in the Ice (Arctic Edition)

Description: In a remote Arctic outpost, twelve colleagues discover something in the ice. Bad things happen. You think you know this story? Think again. Roleplaying stressed.

RPG Call of Cthulhu 6th edition

Minimum Players: 10 Maximum Players: 12

Friday 8 pm - 2 am

GM: Bruce Taylor

SATURDAY

Game ID: RPG1342615

Event Titlte: Too Many Batmen

Description: An iconic character like Batman has had so many incarnations - what happens when they all meet in an adventure of multiverse changing proportions? From the gun toting vigilante of the early days to the Adam West Batman to the All-Star Batman of Frank Miller and many others, this is the one game that guarantees you a chance to play the Dark Knight Detective.

RPG Hero System 5th edition

Minimum Players: 5 Maximum players: 7

Experience Required: Some

Saturday, 8 am - noon

GM: Joe Linehan

Game ID: RPG1343371

Event Title: Day of the Dark Lord

(See Thursday 7 pm listing)

Saturday 8 am - 1 pm

Game ID: RPG1342537

Event Title: Can of Whupass 2013: Game of Porcelain Thrones

Description: Our signature event enters its 15th year! Pop culture and gaming icons duke it out in the ring. Hilarious taunts, cool prizes for all players, character sheets illustrated by Gen Con Artist Bill Cavalier, and color commentary by Doctor Phil and Triumph the Insult Comic Dog! Find out why so many have called this "The Best Event At Gen Con!"

RPG Hero System 5th edition

Minimum players: 20 Maximum: 25

Age Requirment: 21+

Saturday 7 pm - 1 am

GM: David Wulatin

Here are the full write-ups of everything Evil Fleet is running at Gen Con this year. (Times subject to change).

FWIW, since I won't be there, all of these sound awesome. Best of luck at the con.

P.S. because I have to know: Is Madame Fatal a character option for the All-Star Squadron game?

FWIW, since I won't be there, all of these sound awesome. Best of luck at the con.

P.S. because I have to know: Is Madame Fatal a character option for the All-Star Squadron game?

IIRC from the playtest the only female PC was Gimmick Girl.

IIRC from the playtest the only female PC was Gimmick Girl.

Madame Fatal isn't a female PC. :)

By "Gimmick Girl", do you mean Merry, Girl of 1000 Gimmicks? That's a great choice. Again, best of luck.

Has anyone else had their games sitting in "Submitted For Review" status for five weeks? Last year GenCon approved all my event submissions within three days, and I'm really starting to wonder what's going on there. Event sign-up begins in less than a month, and I still have no idea if mine are even going to be on the schedule.

Something isn't right here.

That's good news. They're still leaving me hanging. I mean, we're planning to release the next edition of Terracide at their con, and I still don't know if any of the events supporting the new book will be on the program. Why do we even bother?

Honestly, I can NOT work with people like this.

Count your blessings, Xavier. I don't even know when we're releasing Imaginary Friends. :) We've got all the work done except for Bill's end, so the book WILL be at Gencon, the question is who will be getting it sooner. :)

Count your blessings, Xavier. I don't even know when we're releasing Imaginary Friends. :) We've got all the work done except for Bill's end, so the book WILL be at Gencon, the question is who will be getting it sooner. :)
I've been following your kickstarter thread on the SW forum, and it's looking good. Since we can only have one active kickstarter, I'm lined up right behind you. But I'm not 100% sure we'll have time to do it before GenCon. We'll see how it goes.

Well, we're at the critical point right now. Sean just finished his conversions, so I have to post a power tomorrow, and everything is going to bill for Final Layout.

Then it's returned to me as a PDF for final review, and then it goes to the printer. :)

That's good news. They're still leaving me hanging. I mean, we're planning to release the next edition of Terracide at their con, and I still don't know if any of the events supporting the new book will be on the program. Why do we even bother?

Xavier:

That is not unusual at all. Odds are they just haven't gotten to your events yet. If you're really concerned, drop a line to Derek Guder (events@gencon.com) and ask him if he thinks there will be any issues in your games everntually be approved. Now, he may tell you that he is too busy to check, but generally, he is pretty responsive to e-mails.

Rod Currie

Thanks, Rod. I'll do that when I've got a spare minute or three.

We will miss you guys. I'll be running two games at Gencon, twice each. They will be using playtesting material from the next couple products, so hang onto your hats.

The first one is called Rise from Beneath! This features material from Journey to the Center of the Earth

The second is called A Bridge Too Far. This is the product that will come after Journey to the Center of the Earth. It's got all sorts of cool stuff in it, but is still in a complete playtest phase.

I need to talk to my players, see if I can use their characters or if I have to build some.

Sorry all, but due to my health and mobility issues which have cropped up this past year, OddHat and I have had to cancel. We both deeply regret that we will not get to see everyone.

Hope it's a blast !

Sorry to hear that. It's always great seeing both of you.

Gencon has clearly hit the bottom of the barrel, because they've invited me to be a guest of honor this year. When I'm not doing whatever that entails (mostly swiping free sodas from the VIG room!), I'll be working for the First Exposure playtest room team, which was so successful last year that they're moving us downstairs across from the dealer room! Or I'll be hanging around the Cubicle 7 booth, since I'm doing some writing for them this year, or the DGS Games booth since I'll be doing some editing for and licensing from them. Why, I might even make my way over to the Hero/IPR booth now and then! dw