Dispel and "Instant Duration" Powers

Epiphanis

Since this is a follow-up to Bigdamnhero's "Dispel and Area Effect" question, it might be more appropriate in the discussion forum. Move as appropriate.

When using a Dispel that affects a power like Blast that has an instant duration, I've assumed that it has no effect unless it is done at the exact same time as the subject power. Thus, with a Dispel Blast, Trogdor the Dispellanator would have to hold an action, then succeed in a DEX vs. DEX challenge with the Blasting opponent, then actually roll well enough on the Dispel effect roll to shut down the Blast. And then the opponent could just try again on his next action, without any further impedement. In other words... really not a very useful power. More useful against the occasional Constant-advantaged Blast, but even then all it would do is force the opponent to make another Attack Roll on his next action.

Am I wrong in these assumptions?

Re: Dispel and "Instant Duration" Powers

I do not think the duration of the target power matters when using Dispel. It will effect the target's ability to use the subject power. The Dispel can be used regardless of whether or not the target power is currently activated.

I do not think the duration of the target power matters when using Dispel. It will effect the target's ability to use the subject power. The Dispel can be used regardless of whether or not the target power is currently activated.

But what is being discussed specifically is the option to use Dispel as a defense. I believe in that case it is the specific use of the power, not the person using it, that is the target.

The duration doesn't matter but what is required to activate it does. If you have an EP with 12d6 Blast and you Dispel it you really aren't doing anything. He can use it again normally (if you dispel an incoming blast using a held action THAT blast wont hit you but the EP can just fire again next turn). Without a Held Action Dispel normally cannot prevent the use of a power, that's what Drain/Suppress does.

There are some exceptions. There are any number of Limitations that can make Dispel more worthwhile (if they are on the target power). Any power that takes time to "turn on" or "warm up" or anything of that nature would then have to be done again. For instance if someone had a Blast with "Extra Time, only to activate" then if you dispelled their currently active Blast they would have to do the Extra Time again. It can also be used to dispel Foci preventing their use till they are "recharged or repaired" (note that Unbreakable Foci are highly resistant to Dispelling). I believe that if you gained a power from UBO then dispel would also be able to remove that power from you (and the grantor would then have to grant it to you again).

And Epiphanis all you need to do is hold your action to dispel an incoming attack. No Dex Roll is needed (per RAW anyway). Of course you still have to roll high enough for it to work.

And djmalund I don't think a Constant Dispel would actually do anything more than an instant one does. That would be a cheap way to get Suppress. It would only affect one "use" or activation of a power. I do not believe it would be legal to buy "Dispel Force Field, Constant" for instance and then be able to turn off peoples force fields permanently. Suppress costs about 7pts per d6 (base), A constant Dispel only costs 4 pts per d6 (base), so its much cheaper, costs less end to maintain, and would therefore be better than suppress. While Suppress can work to partially remove a power (which Dispel cannot) the fact that you can get almost twice the dice kinda negates that consideration.

HSAPG1 p.170 presents the Optional Combat Manuver Interference. This is the ability to use a power which has a similiar or opposite Special Effect to negate or lessen an attack. At GM descretion this can be used as an Abort action. I would see no reason not to allow dispel to be used to negate or lessen the effect of an attack is appropiate.

Visually I see it as the Dragonball Z effect of two characters energy blasts meeting and contesting over which is more powerful, although it is not an attack by the defender.