Sliders

quozaxx

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Sliders

I was actually trying to figure out if the Steampunk era really happened' date=' what would Earth be like now. That was one of the Earths I was considering[/quote']

Okay, I'll play. Because of the opportunity presented by the new technologies, a conflagration similar the Great War happens 50 years early around the time of the American Civil War. However, the Civil War would play out differently too. The industrial North, the obvious beneficiary of the steampunk technologies, is able to win the war quicker. This combined with the damage done to Europe by the Great War allows the American Century to begin in the late 1800s. However an earlier start the American Century leads to an earlier end. By 2013 the sun has long since set on the American Empire and the baton has passed to China. Technology has continued to outpace our world so think Blade Runner for what is available.

Wormhole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole

Parallel Universe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_universe_(fiction)

Technobabble

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technobabble

As a Player I would want to know;

Who created the "Slider" technology?

What effects "Slider" technology?

When "Slider" technology was created?

Where "Slider" technology exists?

Why "Slider" technology is uncontrollable?

How "Slider" technology works?

Time Travelers, Quantum Leap, and Slider have similar uncontrolled elements to them. What makes it uncontrollable in a "Superhero Genre". Dimensional Superpowers, Super Inventors, and Super Scientists. How they cannot short circuit the Campaign.

A common theme is Sliders is racing the clock. How to impart that feeling into the game.

Retiring Characters replaced by New Characters is easy enough.

Just my 2cents

QM

Wormhole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole

Parallel Universe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_universe_(fiction)

Technobabble

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technobabble

As a Player I would want to know;

Who created the "Slider" technology? In the show it was Quinn Malory

What effects "Slider" technology? Technobable

When "Slider" technology was created? In the show it was whatever year the show started.

Where "Slider" technology exists? In the show, only Quinn Malory and the Cromags had Slider technology

Why "Slider" technology is uncontrollable? In the show, Quinn interrupted the timer, and because of that he lost that link

How "Slider" technology works? Technobable

Time Travelers, Quantum Leap, and Slider have similar uncontrolled elements to them. What makes it uncontrollable in a "Superhero Genre". Dimensional Superpowers, Super Inventors, and Super Scientists. How they cannot short circuit the Campaign.

A common theme is Sliders is racing the clock. How to impart that feeling into the game.

Retiring Characters replaced by New Characters is easy enough.

Just my 2cents

QM

I'm not a scientist. I think they've answered some of it on the show, but I don't know all of the details. I've added some answers above in our quote. In the show, Quinn was able to slide to the first world and back to home world. Then he amped up the power to get his friends to come along and even sucked in a passing car. In the game. It depends on if anyone is going to take the reins of the lead scientist. If not, they may just find the timer laying on the ground.

A world where the heroes pets are in charge, and human beings are simpletons. (Oh. Wait. Too Much Like Real Life)

I call that one "Disney World." :D

Think about it: From Lady and the Tramp, through That Darn Cat, 101 Dalmatians right to Beethoven.

How weird is the OP willing to go? One I rolled up from the random generator in Champions 3D, that I thought had some potential: Pizarro not only conquers the Incas, but also captures abandoned Van Daniken alien tech.:nonp: The Pulp tech Spanish Empire rules the world!

First thought' date=' and I don't know where you might take this. A world where left-handedness is more common than right.[/quote']

OK, I've been thinking a lot on how our world would be different if the majority of the people were left-handed instead of right handed.

At first, I was thinking that the gear shift on a car would be on the left side. And if the gear shift is on the left side then perhaps the gas pedal would be on the left and even the driver's seat would be on the right of the car so that the radio is easily accessible by the left hand.

This may mean that we would drive on the left side of the road (like in England) thus making left hand turns easier than right ones.

The standard keyboard on a computer would have the 10-key on the left side, and it is possible that the letters (placed for “convenience” with qwerty) would be the opposite with qwerty on the right hand instead of the left.

And if the car is “backwards” and the keyboard is “backwards”, where would the differences end? Scissors would be hard to use, as would manual can openers. Door handles would be on the right instead of the left. And my older brother was “forced” to use his right hand instead of his left hand when he was in first grade. (It was 1966 when he was in school)

So, in order to make this game more “thrilling”, we could bring that “forced” mentality forward. Thus being right-handed would be illegal. And thus, they would have to conform or be hunted.

OK, I've been thinking a lot on how our world would be different if the majority of the people were left-handed instead of right handed.

At first, I was thinking that the gear shift on a car would be on the left side. And if the gear shift is on the left side then perhaps the gas pedal would be on the left and even the driver's seat would be on the right of the car so that the radio is easily accessible by the left hand.

This may mean that we would drive on the left side of the road (like in England) thus making left hand turns easier than right ones.

The standard keyboard on a computer would have the 10-key on the left side, and it is possible that the letters (placed for “convenience” with qwerty) would be the opposite with qwerty on the right hand instead of the left.

And if the car is “backwards” and the keyboard is “backwards”, where would the differences end? Scissors would be hard to use, as would manual can openers. Door handles would be on the right instead of the left. And my older brother was “forced” to use his right hand instead of his left hand when he was in first grade. (It was 1966 when he was in school)

So, in order to make this game more “thrilling”, we could bring that “forced” mentality forward. Thus being right-handed would be illegal. And thus, they would have to conform or be hunted.

Um, I'm finding half the door knobs to the left, the other half to the right. As a further inconstancy, I will go in a door with the knob on the left, then when I start to go out the same door some SOB has moved the knob to the right!

The key placement on the qwerty keyboard was the opposite of convenience, it was designed to slow down the typewriter (as both machine and operator were called at the time). If you want efficient you go to a Dvorak keyboard. Maybe the qwerty keyboard is the only thing that hasn't changed? Thought the number pad might be on either side. Biggest adaptation my partner had to make going over to a computer was learning to use the number pad right handed. He use to do ledgers 10-keying with his left hand, his pencil in his right.

SLIDERS

What if you found a portal to a parallel universe?

What if you could slide into 1000 different worlds?

What if it's the same year and you're the same person but everything else is different?

And what if you can't find your way home?

Some of you may recognize the words above as the opening title sequence from the TV show Sliders. (later on in the series) Well I'm starting a Sliders type roll playing game on rpol.net.

Of course it would not star the original stars, but the player's own creations. Five seasons of the show aired, and they visited a lot of different worlds. (About half of which I haven't seen – like none of Season 3); but this game only uses the TV show as a format. It does not follow the show. As far as you know, Cromags don't exists, and you've never heard of Sliding (unless you are the one making the device) but will hopefully coin that term.

I am going to try my hand at freeform. I will warn the players that I have NEVER tried (or even played in) freeform. So, please be patient with me. Each character must be very realistic in human terms. If a real person can't do it, you can't do it. Martial arts will have very maneuvers (probably only 3 or 4) .

You can choose (if you want) to play one of the characters from the show. I have each of the TV character written out. If there is a question about rules. I will default to Hero Game rules for any disputes, but I will try to keep it in the very background so those that do not know that system can still play.

I have some very simple rules.

1. Have fun. Even in the series, the group was joking around and trying to make the best of a difficult situation.

2. Rating PG please. The original series was about a PG rating and I want to capture the “feel” of the show. So, no cursing. Even killing was done sparingly. In fact, many of the characters talked someone out of killing someone else. That doesn't meant there WON'T be any killing. Wars happen, and sometimes that is the only way to do things.

3. Post, post, post: This is a very, very character driven game. I post about every other day. I would like if if the PC's tried to match that. Don't be afraid to interact with other players. This doesn't mean you have to agree on everything. (they didn't on the show, so why should you), It means you do your best to get along. It's going to be a long (hopefully fun) ride.

4. Talking about long rides: Let's face it, it's going to be a long, long, long time before anyone gets back to the prime dimension. I wouldn't doubt that each place visited will take the minimum of a month to play out. So please be patient.

I am a very easy going GM. I love the concept of freeform for this game, and I doubt that many battles will occur. But they do happen, so I may need the most help with that situation.

So, you're probably asking yourself, "Hero Central is back up, why not post there?" Well, I have a problem:

When most of you log onto Hero Central, on the left hand - top side of the screen, you usually see a drop down menu where you can login, choose campaign Messages, Start a new game, etc.

Mine used to have that but doesn't have that anymore. I think it's my new computer. In order to go anywhere, I have to change the words in the main address.

For example. If I'm in [url=http://www.herocentral.net/characters.htm?campaignId=1033864]http://www.herocentral.net/characters.htm?campaignId=1033864[/url=http://www.herocentral.net/characters.htm?campaignId=1033864] I have to change the word characters to CampaignMessagesBoard to post in the campaign messages board. Or change it to StoryBoard to reply to a story. I don't have a clue how to change this.

So, I don't know which words I have to type to start a new Story thread, or start a new campaign Messages, or even what to type to tell the administration my problem and see if they can suggest a solution.

SLIDERS

What if you found a portal to a parallel universe?

What if you could slide into 1000 different worlds?

What if it's the same year and you're the same person but everything else is different?

And what if you can't find your way home?

Some of you may recognize the words above as the opening title sequence from the TV show Sliders. (later on in the series) Well I'm starting a Sliders type roll playing game on rpol.net.

Of course it would not star the original stars, but the player's own creations. Five seasons of the show aired, and they visited a lot of different worlds. (About half of which I haven't seen – like none of Season 3); but this game only uses the TV show as a format. It does not follow the show. As far as you know, Cromags don't exists, and you've never heard of Sliding (unless you are the one making the device) but will hopefully coin that term.

I am going to try my hand at freeform. I will warn the players that I have NEVER tried (or even played in) freeform. So, please be patient with me. Each character must be very realistic in human terms. If a real person can't do it, you can't do it. Martial arts will have very maneuvers (probably only 3 or 4) .

You can choose (if you want) to play one of the characters from the show. I have each of the TV character written out. If there is a question about rules. I will default to Hero Game rules for any disputes, but I will try to keep it in the very background so those that do not know that system can still play.

I have some very simple rules.

1. Have fun. Even in the series, the group was joking around and trying to make the best of a difficult situation.

2. Rating PG please. The original series was about a PG rating and I want to capture the “feel” of the show. So, no cursing. Even killing was done sparingly. In fact, many of the characters talked someone out of killing someone else. That doesn't meant there WON'T be any killing. Wars happen, and sometimes that is the only way to do things.

3. Post, post, post: This is a very, very character driven game. I post about every other day. I would like if if the PC's tried to match that. Don't be afraid to interact with other players. This doesn't mean you have to agree on everything. (they didn't on the show, so why should you), It means you do your best to get along. It's going to be a long (hopefully fun) ride.

4. Talking about long rides: Let's face it, it's going to be a long, long, long time before anyone gets back to the prime dimension. I wouldn't doubt that each place visited will take the minimum of a month to play out. So please be patient.

I am a very easy going GM. I love the concept of freeform for this game, and I doubt that many battles will occur. But they do happen, so I may need the most help with that situation.

So you may be asking yourself "Hero Central is up again, why not start the game there?"

I'm having an unusual problem with Hero Central

When most of you log on, on the left hand - top side of the screen, you usually see a dropdown menu where you can login, choose campaign Messages, Start a new game, Read or post to the General Messages, etc.

Mine used to have that but doesn't have that anymore. I think it's my new computer. In order to go anywhere, I have to change the words in the main address.

For example. If I'm in [url=http://www.herocentral.net/characters.htm?campaignId=1033864]http://www.herocentral.net/characters.htm?campaignId=1033864[/url=http://www.herocentral.net/characters.htm?campaignId=1033864] I have to change the word characters to CampaignMessagesBoard to post in the campaign messages board. Or change it to StoryBoard to reply to a story. I don't have a clue how to change this.

So, I don't know which words I have to type to start a new Story thread, or start a new campaign Messages, or even what to type to tell the administration my problem and see if they can suggest a solution

Resistenceworld

A world where a brutal dictatorship is opposed by rebels who are seem able to hit government trooops and disappear at will. When the PCs show up a government agent/informer realises that their wormhole looks a lot like the way the rebels got into a military base. Turns out the rebels have limited slider technology and have been using it to escape, store supplies in parelle worlds, bypass military cordons etc. The rebels are worried that if the government finds the PCs they will acquire slider technology and they'll lose their edge.

Traderworld

A world where slider technology is used to get resources, market and cheap products from less technologically advanced world. These worlds have no idea who is mining their resources, selling them slightly better technology, and buying their stuff. They are "exploited" but not coerced. Only selected government agents and executives in the corporation that developed the technology have access to it. Possession of unregistered sliding tech is punishable by death. The PCs may find out that the restrictions are in part due to their discovery of a brutal, expansionist empire (they call it Grabberworld) that has attacked and tried to enslave every world it has discovered. Grabberworld thinks they're the only world with slidertech. Traderworld is supplying resistence movements on several worlds and even sending agents (spies are so much more effecive when they look just like important people). Once the Grabbers find out about Traderworld they will attack, and they have more troops, guns and equipment. Some Traderworlders propose becoming more like the Grabbers to resist them.

Squatch world, where Sasquatches were the dominant lifeform in the Americas.

Super-Rome, where Rome never fell and now uses Slider tech to conquer other worlds.

Calipha, where the Islam dominated the crusades, and is the dominant religion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.S.A.:_The_Confederate_States_of_America

Dreamworld, a world in which people spend 23 hours a day asleep, hooked up to networks that provide a shared reality to the dreamers.

Squatch world, where Sasquatches were the dominant lifeform in the Americas.

Super-Rome, where Rome never fell and now uses Slider tech to conquer other worlds.

Calipha, where the Islam dominated the crusades, and is the dominant religion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.S.A.:_The_Confederate_States_of_America

Dreamworld, a world in which people spend 23 hours a day asleep, hooked up to networks that provide a shared reality to the dreamers.

I like the way you think! :thumbup:

17th Precinct World: A world where the technology is all magical, and terrorists known as "Stoics" want to abandon it all in favour of mechanical technology from other worlds. So obviously they'd be really interested in the PCs and have had contact with previous offworlders.

Godfather: A United States in which organized crime has evolved an understanding with law enforcement that gives them effectively a free hand with everything else as long they help the authorities eliminate communists and the sale of hard drugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Was reading the Merchant Princes books by Charles Stross. If a group in one alternate had reliable slider tech, they would completely dominate the drug and smuggling trade in a neighbouring reality. Need a tonne of high grade concaine shipped from Columbia to Chicago? Not a problem! Let us slide it sideways, ship it, and slide it back again. And if the other world figured this out, they'd still be hugely vulnerable to somebody sliding nuclear weapons into the White House, for example.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've never heard of a Dvorak keyboard before. Please enlighten me.
The standard QWERTY keyboard was created for typewriters to /slow down/ typists, because if they typed too quickly, the letter arms would get tangled up. Dvorak (the inventor's name) created a new layout placing most often used keys closer to home row to increase typing speed.

The recent Hulu series "The Awesomes" had three parallel Earths:  Earth-4 (the one shown) was the mirror reality where the villains are heroes and vice-versa.  (Our heroes did not catch an important clue here.)  Earth-Two was "everyone is fat."  And Earth-Three was where the Nazis won World War Two...only to be conquered by intelligent apes, who now rule supreme.