Monday Morning Music Trios

Pariah

I've spent the last four days (going on five) fighting off some kind of virus. So that's what this week's topic is going to be.

New Topic: Three Songs about Sickness, Illness, and/or Disease

I'm taking it from the point of view that addiction to drugs, alcoholism etc is valid. 

V Spy V Spy -- Harry's Reasons (Harry is a euphemism for heroin)

Cold Chisel -- Metho Blues

The Who -- Acid Queen

Three Little River Band Songs (okay a restricted category). Pariah can suggest another so we can have two this week. :)

My reason for this is that last night on Aussie TV was a segment about the Little River Band and how the founders of the band have had a major and long-running dispute with the current line-up. The current line-up has no founding members but continue to perform  under the bands name. The reason is that one of the members from a line-up change (who is American, living in Ireland) holds the legal rights to the name Little River Band and LRB. The current lead singer and bass player was also from a line-up change. One of the founding members calls the current line-up a tribute band as they perform songs that they inherited from the band members who wrote them. During the segment, after a gig by the current line-up some of the audience was interviewed and was shocked that the band had no founding members or any of the people who wrote the songs that was performed--hence tribute band label. The founding members want to perform again under the name Little River Band for their fans but can't do it, and they feel that their identity as "Little River Band" has been taken away from them.

One recent event was that Jimmy Kimmel booked the band to celebrate the 40th Anniversary. One of the founding members wrote to the show about the dispute and that the current line-up with no founding members in it has been trading on the songs they inherieted etc for over a decade and as a result this segment was pulled. 

So this is a bit of PR for them and a note that if you see a gig for Little River Band it is not the people who wrote those songs and made them famous but two musicians who came in after due to line-up changes and now control the band -- one of which holds the legal name.

So I thought it was worthwhile to let you all know. Personally I'm sympathetic with both sides, but would have to side with the founders of LRB mainly because the current band has not had any major success with new songs and continues to perform the famous LRB songs. in-between these two periods (the founders and the current group) was "The Farnham Years" with John Farnham taking vocals over from Shorrock and that period has reasonable success; the band was an actual musical group so to speak. But now? it is a cover band/tribute band. 

Pariah can suggest another so we can have two this week. :)

With the passing of Toto bassist Mike Porcaro yesterday, I thought we'd do a week of songs in tribute to those no longer with us.

New Topic:  Songs by Artists Who Died Too Young

California Dreamin from the Mamas and the Papas; Mama Cass died the summer I graduated from high school

Montana from Frank Zappa and the Mothers; Zappa succumbed to prostate cancer in 1993.

Operator from Jim Croce, who perished in a plane crash in September 1973

Another set:

Peggy Sue from Buddy Holly & the Crickets; Holly was among the people killed in a plane crash in 1959

Lawyers Guns and Money from Warren Zevon, who succumbed to peritoneal mesothelioma in 2003

Time is Tight from Booker T & the MG's; Al Jackson Jr., the group's charter drummer, was murdered in 1975.