Monday Morning Music Trios

Pariah

Okay, multiple trios about two artists Sandy Denny, and Steve Prestwich. Might have to make a new playlist and hit randomise. 

Sandy Denny with band (Fairport Convention)

Fotheringay
Autopsy 
Who Knows Where The Time Goes 

Sandy sings traditional British folk songs
Marty Groves
Tam Lin
Banks of the Nile

Sandy solo
Solo
Next Time Around
It'll Take A Long Time

Steve Prestwich with band (Cold Chisel)
Forever Now
When The War Is Over
Water Into Wine

Steve Prestwich solo
Someone Caught My Eye
Since You've Been Gone
Wrong Side of the Track

Instrumentals:

First, Time is Tight from Booker T. & the MGs. Two of their charter members are now dead. Drummer Al Jackson Jr. was murdered in 1975; bassist Donald "Duck" Dunn died in his sleep in May 2012.

Second, Town Without Pity as covered by the late Ronnie Montrose. One of the most breathtakingly lyric electric guitar solos ever recorded.

Third, So Soft, Your Goodbye by Mark Knopfler and the late and enormously great Chet Atkins.

Including vocals:

First, two versions of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) by Jimi Hendrix and the cover tribute version by Stevie Ray Vaughn, a pair of great epically great guitarists, now both deceased.

Second, Ride the River from the collaboration album "The Road to Escondido" by Eric Clapton and the late J. J. Cale. It also features some of the last studio work by the late keyboardist Billy Preston; the album is dedicated to Preston's memory. This particular cut, the closing piece of the album, is very easy to interpret in terms of the relief from suffering that happens at the end of life. And I have said before that when the archangel comes to announce the end of the world, if he plays a guitar rather than a horn, it will sound something like the fanfare lick that starts at about 2:04.

Third ... OK, I lied, this is an instrumental also. Tuxedo Junction by Glenn Miller (MIA 1944) and his orchestra. An idiosyncratic choice by me, as I happen to like this better than his trademark In the Mood. The latter's digital treatment makes for easier listening these days, though.

• 1 month later...

Preface comment: I am doing something I do every few years, going through my library/playlists etc. and listening to everything, front-to-back. So that's where this concept comes from, as I am at a point in my iPod's list with three winners in a row:

Three Songs Whose Titles Start With The Same Three Letters

For example:

"Foreplay/Long Time" by Boston

"Fortress Around Your Heart" by Sting

"Fortunate Son", the original Creedence Clearwater Revival performance

When I see "Chasing Shadows", I think of the version by Deep Purple that I have on the iPod. :)

EDIT: that brings to mind a possible theme, of distinct songs with the same title (not just different performances of the same song, but rather fully distinct songs). Not sure I know of any such threesomes, though.

EDIT: that brings to mind a possible theme, of distinct songs with the same title (not just different performances of the same song, but rather fully distinct songs). Not sure I know of any such threesomes, though.

Asia and Toto both have songs in recent albums called "Holy War":

I don't know a third such song to complete the set, though.

• 1 month later...

#1: "Seven Nights in Eire" by Reckless Kelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQsf0ND4CNw

#2: "Jack vs. José" by Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-9cZNpOt-I

#3: "Kick It In Second Wind" by Jimmy Buffett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiXVk426PMY

Ballroom Blitz by the Sweet. video The very first song I thought of when I saw the theme.

Get Out of Denver by Bob Seger. I prefer the version off Live Bullet, but I can't find that on YouTube, so the 1974 studio version will have to do. Why is this a bar song? Back in the terminal 1970s and early 1980s when Austin was a real hotbed for the punk scene, most of the bands performed this, turning it into a time trial ... going just as fast as they could, including the embedded improv.

Big Boned Gal from k.d. lang and The Reclines. Listen to it and see why this one belongs. link

We have a Marie Osmond sighting!

Excellent!

I got there through a roundabout way, from a snippet of lyric from a different song (which will be the first in A little bit Rock and Roll):

Do you still keep paper flowers in the bottom drawer with your Belgian lace

taking them out every year to watch the colors fade away?

1. "A Gentleman's Excuse Me" - Fish

2. "Kiss from a Rose" - Seal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateQQc-AgEM

3. "Yankee Rose" - David Lee Roth