What other anti-human hate groups exist besides the anti-mutant ones?

Mathew

Okay, so we recently had a thead about anti-mutant groups, which I never found logical in a mixed-origin super setting, but what about other groups?

How about anti-magic groups? Or anti-robot groups? Or anti-alien groups? or just plain anti-super groups? Which ones exist in the Champions setting, or just your favorite super setting?

Anti-magic religious groups would seem to be logical. They would find "magic" to be the work of demonic powers. What about technological anti-magic types? Would radical athiests in a super setting tend to hate magic using supers because it disagrees with their world view of a lack of the supernatural? Or how various supernatural hunting types - Are the Ghostbusters an anti-magic hate group? How about werewolf hunters or vampire hunters?

As for robots, wouldn't it be logical in a world with a growing number of sentient robots, and a mega-villain like Mechanon, that there would be groups who would hunt down "malfunctioning" machines who act like their are alive?

Keep watching the skies? Who is an alien invader? The Champions world has had multiple alien invasions. Seems like those would case some paranoia. We saw one alien hunting group in Alien Enemies. They could get more popular support and funding if the world has to fight off an alien invasion again.

What else is possible? Specific powers perhaps bias? Anti-telepath? Anti-Firestarter? Anti-flyers who defy god law, or the law of gravity? How about bias against those with time powers, for fear they could destroy the universe with a paradox?

Maybe just anti-freak sentiment.... anyone with blue skin or an odd number of limbs could be a target...

Re: What other anti-human hate groups exist besides the anti-mutant ones?

Well, in previous editions there was the Exterminators who were anti-alien, and a group of villains who were anti technology but not really any full fledged orgs, like Genocide.

THere's also been individuals, Witchhunter, Thunderbird, etc. who run the specific agendas.

I folded Genocide and the Exterminators into Xenocide for a while.

Did Wanda really get much anti-mutant after she switched from an X-Men villain to an Avenger, though? She and Hank McCoy seemed to be pretty popular once they joined up and they were out of the influence of the X books' slavering bigot field.

I can see pretty strong anti-alien sentiment cropping up after all the invasions Champions earth has had to face. Ironclad is about the only prominently alien hero I can recall.

In the X-Factor comic they once visited a planet where super powered mutation was rampant. A formerly human looking race was now producing all superhuman mutants, but the mutation was unstable. The world had seperated itself into those who could pass for human, and those who didn't look human any more. The "Perfect" and the "Rejects" were all super powered mutants, but the Rejects were hunted down on for not LOOKING human. Supers who could change form were seen as "duelors", because they could look human, or not. They were second class citizens among the perfect.

It has always amused me that so many people reject the idea that people would be more hostile to certain origins in a multi-origin world. Their argument is tantamount to claiming that people couldn't have had a special animus against Jewish bankers, industrialists and professionals in the 30s.

In any case the critical thing about creating such hate groups, is that you need a big enough pool of known instances of the targeted group to excite the reaction.

So yeah, on the world I named "Ferrous" there is in fact an AI hate group. On Weird War II, Silver Dagger is part of a much smaller "monster" hunting group because very few monsters and witches are known to exist. Doctor Meridian's crusade against aliens consists of nothing but himself, his two agents Orion and Andromeda, and occasionally some mercenaries he hires, because almost nobody else even believes in the alien menace he's trying to expose.

Okay, so we recently had a thead about anti-mutant groups, which I never found logical in a mixed-origin super setting, but what about other groups?

How about anti-magic groups? Or anti-robot groups? Or anti-alien groups? or just plain anti-super groups? Which ones exist in the Champions setting, or just your favorite super setting?

In the current official Champions Universe, there is one anti-technology group, or more accurately, supervillain team: The Devil's Advocates. Their stated goal is to bring about a "dark renaissance" in which magic is ascendant, and technology is restricted to pre-industrial levels. Most of their members are united by a love of the mystic arts, and resentment or hatred toward the modern world and its trappings.

I remember in the Fourth Edition Champions villain book, Creatures of the Night: Horror Enemies, author Dean Shomshak offered a group of supernatural Native American villains, "The Totems," with a common hatred of white people. They committed acts of terror against the white majority in the United States and Canada, with a vague hope of ultimately driving them off the continent.

It has always amused me that so many people reject the idea that people would be more hostile to certain origins in a multi-origin world. Their argument is tantamount to claiming that people couldn't have had a special animus against Jewish bankers, industrialists and professionals in the 30s.

In any case the critical thing about creating such hate groups, is that you need a big enough pool of known instances of the targeted group to excite the reaction.

An anti-mutant sentiment can have unique motivational factors setting it apart from other types of "them" that people might be suspicious or mistrustful of. One is the identifiable source. Aliens are "out there"; AIs are manufactured. Mutants are born to ordinary people, and you can't tell if your own child will turn out to be one. That's the very visceral, instinctive fear of the Other in your own home and family. Connected to that issue is the fear that superpowered mutants represent a new, superior human species, which will ultimately render homo sapiens extinct the way our ancestors displace the neanderthals. An irrationally-sparked survival instinct would just fuel the flames of fear, anger and hatred.

An anti-mutant sentiment can have unique motivational factors setting it apart from other types of "them" that people might be suspicious or mistrustful of. One is the identifiable source. Aliens are "out there"; AIs are manufactured. Mutants are born to ordinary people' date=' and you can't tell if your own child will turn out to be one. That's the very visceral, instinctive fear of the Other in your own home and family. Connected to that issue is the fear that superpowered mutants represent a new, superior human species, which will ultimately render [i']homo sapiens[/i] extinct the way our ancestors displace the neanderthals. An irrationally-sparked survival instinct would just fuel the flames of fear, anger and hatred.

The part that lacks sense is that people with that sort of bias would differentiate between next-step in evolution mutants, and mutated humans. Would they fear that their children are not quite human with super strength, but then accept the guy who was dumped in a barrel of radioactive waste to gain his superhuman strength? That would be like a Nazi who only hated left handed Jewish bankers, but had no problem with right handed Jewish bankers. It seems to be a disctinction that would not matter to them.

See, that would make sense. A group can say they are "anti-mutant", but they really mean they are anti-masked super powered freaks. A group of protesters can't TELL Spider-Man's origin from looking at him. If they somehow ectually knew his origin, they probably wouldn't suddenly like him either. What is a mutation was externally invisible and didn't grant super powers? For instance, the person just had a 6 chambered heart, or that they have an extra vertabre in their backbone (only visible in an X-Ray). Would there be protesters? It's the powers they bother these people, NOT the fact that they have mutations.

The part that lacks sense is that people with that sort of bias would differentiate between next-step in evolution mutants' date=' and mutated humans. Would they fear that their children are not quite human with super strength, but then accept the guy who was dumped in a barrel of radioactive waste to gain his superhuman strength? That would be like a Nazi who only hated left handed Jewish bankers, but had no problem with right handed Jewish bankers. It seems to be a disctinction that would not matter to them.[/quote']

I agree that more widespread accusations of someone being a mutant would make sense. But the distinction is still a valid one to make. On the one hand, many comic-book settings have sensors or other tests to determine if someone is a mutant or latent mutant (has the "meta-gene" etc.). OTOH, you're asking for sense from people acting from irrational hatred. ;) People with prejudices of this kind don't base them on informed opinions; they react to a name with an idea behind it without understanding what the idea really means. Someone points at a superhuman and yells, "Mutie!" and you may get a lynch mob. But someone else who's a proven hero and/or a member of a respected team may get a pass from most people even if they are or are believed to be a mutant.

Ultimately most such movements are on the fringe of society. The Champions Universe, for example, doesn't feature a lot of anti-mutant paranoia. What makes the IHA, Genocide and their ilk so dangerous, is that they're organized, have resources, and comprehend what being a mutant really implies; but that knowledge is still warped by hatred and fear.

Dr. Jean Grey: Ladies and gentlemen, we are now seeing the beginnings of another stage of human evolution. These mutations manifest at puberty, and are often triggered by periods of heightened emotional stress.

Senator Kelly: Thank you, Miss Grey! That was-quite educational. However it fails to address the issue which is the focus of this hearing. Three words: are mutants dangerous.

Senator Kelly: I have here a list of names of identified mutants living right here in the United States.

Dr. Jean Grey: Senator...

Senator Kelly: Here's a girl in Illinois who can walk through walls. Now what's to stop her from walking into a bank vault, or the White House, or

[indicating the gallery]

Senator Kelly: into their houses?

Dr. Jean Grey: Senator, please...

Senator Kelly: ...and there are even rumors, Miss Grey, of mutants so powerful that they can enter our minds and control our thoughts, taking away our God-given free will. Now I think the American people deserve the right to decide if they want their children to be in school with mutants. To be taught by mutants! Ladies and gentlemen, the truth is that mutants are very real, and that they are among us. We must know who they are, and above all, what they can do!

GREY: Senator, the records clearly show that mutants who have chosen to revealed themselves to the public have been widely regarded with fear and suspicion, even violence.

KELLY: Senator Willard, you favor handgun registration, don't you? Well, some of these so-called children have ten times the destructive force of any handgun. No, I don't see a difference. All I see are weapons in our schools.

The part that lacks sense is that people with that sort of bias would differentiate between next-step in evolution mutants' date=' and mutated humans. Would they fear that their children are not quite human with super strength, but then accept the guy who was dumped in a barrel of radioactive waste to gain his superhuman strength? That would be like a Nazi who only hated left handed Jewish bankers, but had no problem with right handed Jewish bankers. It seems to be a disctinction that would not matter to them.[/quote']

I would say that it was like a Nazi who blamed bankers for the Great Depression and Germanys defeat in the Great War...but Jewish bankers in particular. It's not like there isn't widespread suspicion of mutates as well. But mutates in general don't organize into mutates-only paramilitaries (even the Fantastic Four has periodically brought in members who didn't share their origin). They don't have a scary sounding name for what they are. Oh, and they don't frequently manifest their powers for the first time during moments of high stress during high school or family quarrels. And of course they aren't present in large numbers.

When I think of some of the bizarre and irrational bigotry I've seen in the real world mutant hatred doesn't seem so implausible. Mutates might similar powers but they're products of mankind or chance not another species, one in which every member is obviously in cahoots (Like how all black people know each other). They at least used to be human not like "them".

I think mutates outnumber mutants in the Champions universe' date=' at least among the public supers.[/quote']

In the current Champs universe maybe. I don't know too much about it. But in the one that had the random mutant table and GENOCIDE. there were a lot more mutants. They just tended to be not so impressive.

How about a literal anti-human hate group? :eg:

For my own Hero supers games I assembled a group of previously-independent official Champions villains with very strong commonalities in background, motivation, and motif, into a single team. Gaia's Wrath is a group of extreme eco-terrorists who consider humans a threat to the survival of all life on this planet. They've sworn a genocidal war against humanity, to either eradicate the species, or so decimate their population that they'll no longer be a danger to the biosphere (and potentially, so the remnants will be easier to conquer and rule). Gaia's Wrath also have a support network of human radicals who support their cause, making them more an organization than a simple superteam.

I fully detailed the group, in the style of the Champion Villains trilogy write-ups, here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/3046-from-little-plot-seeds-mighty-games-do-grow-Share-your-ideas!?p=2140085#post2140085

IMAGE might be considered anti-human.

The Palladium Heroes Unlimited group as an alien run anti human group. Aliens and mutant animals are most of the members.

Marvel has several anti human pro mutant groups.