Phase or Segment for Costs END and Requires a Roll on defensive powers

Epiphanis

Question

When you place the Endurance limitation "Costs END each Phase" on a normally 0 END defense power, is it true that the END must be paid on each of the user's phases, but not on segments that he doesn't have a phase, even though he/she retains the benefit on those segments? If so, doesn't this make the limitation disproportionately burdensome upon high SPD characters vs. low SPD ones?

In a related question, if a defensive power requires an activation roll each phase/use, if I read the rules correctly on a defense power a single roll applies to activate the power until the user's next phase, no matter how many segments or individual attacks it is effective against are in between those phases. Is this correct?

1 answer to this question

1A. Yes, that's correct.

1B. I'm sorry, I don't answer game design/philosophy questions.

2. That's partly correct. As noted on 6E1 392, the "Activation Roll" form of the Requires A Roll Limitation typically requires the character to roll each time he wants to use the power. The classic example is a suit of armor that only partly covers his body, with the Activation Roll representing "did the attack hit an armored part of my body?". In that case the character has to roll every time he's attacked, regardless of whether it's his Phase, he succeeded on his last roll, or what have you. However, there certainly could be powers/situations where the GM would rule that a single Activation Roll allowed the effect in question to last until the character's next Phase (or for some other length of time). That's uncommon at best, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.