Alchemy Multipower

Dr Archeville

I've not played HERO in a while, starting back in an making an alchemist/artificer/enchanter for a Fantasy HERO game. I had the idea to make an Alchemy Multipower, but something seems off.

Here's what I've got so far:

10 Alchemical Concoctions: Multipower, 40-point reserve; all Delayed Effect (may have available a number of potions equal to character’s INT; +½) (60 Active Points); all OAF Fragile (-1¼), Concentration (0 DCV throughout brewing; -1), Extra Time (at least 5 Minutes to brew, often more; -2), Requires An Alchemy Roll (to brew; -½), Charges (at least +0 worth).

• 1f 1) Acid: RKA 1d6, Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +¼), Constant (+½), Delayed Effect (may have available a number of potions equal to character’s INT; +½), Penetrating (+½), Uncontrolled (see 6E2 147; +½) (49 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1¼), Concentration (0 DCV throughout brewing; -1), Extra Time (6 Hours to brew; -3½), Requires An Alchemy Roll (to brew; -½), Range Based On STR (-¼), 4 Charges (-1). Total cost: 6 points.
  • 1f 2) Alchemist’s Fire: RKA 2d6, Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +¼), Delayed Effect (may have available a number of potions equal to character’s INT; +½) (53 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1¼), Concentration (0 DCV throughout brewing; -1), Extra Time (6 Hours to brew; -3½), Requires An Alchemy Roll (to brew; -½), Range Based On STR (-¼), 4 Charges (-1). Total cost: 6 points.
  • 1f 3) Tanglefoot Bag: Entangle 4d6, 4 PD/4 ED, Delayed Effect (may have available a number of potions equal to character’s INT; +½) (60 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1¼), Concentration (0 DCV throughout brewing; -1), Extra Time (6 Hours to brew; -3½), Range Based On STR (-¼), Requires An Alchemy Roll (to brew; -½), 4 Charges (-1). Total cost: 7 points.

Total Cost: 10+1+1+1 = 13 points

Something feels off there, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Is there something illegal in the above build/structure, or is it just my mind playing tricks on me?

Ah, so it should be the following?

10 Alchemical Concoctions: Multipower, 40-point reserve; all Delayed Effect (may have available a number of potions equal to character's INT; +1/2) (60 Active Points); all OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV throughout brewing; -1), Extra Time (at least 5 Minutes to brew, often more; -2), Requires An Alchemy Roll (to brew; -1/2), Charges (at least +0 worth).

1f 1) Acid: RKA 1d6, Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4), Constant (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Uncontrolled (see 6E2 147; +1/2) (41 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV throughout brewing; -1), Extra Time (6 Hours to brew; -3 1/2), Requires An Alchemy Roll (to brew; -1/2), Range Based On STR (-1/4), 4 Charges (-1) (5 Real Points)

1f 2) Alchemist's Fire: RKA 2d6, Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4) (38 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV throughout brewing; -1), Extra Time (6 Hours to brew; -3 1/2), Requires An Alchemy Roll (to brew; -1/2), Range Based On STR (-1/4), 4 Charges (-1) (4 Real Points)

1f 3) Tanglefoot Bag: Entangle 4d6, 4 PD/4 ED (40 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV throughout brewing; -1), Extra Time (6 Hours to brew; -3 1/2), Range Based On STR (-1/4), Requires An Alchemy Roll (to brew; -1/2), 4 Charges (-1) (5 Real Points)

Also, you need to have a 41 point reserve, to cover the cost of the Acid slot. Consider adding a version of one or more of the slots, 30 Active Points each... [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]1u [/TD]

[TD=align: left]1) Disappear In A Cloud Of Smoke - Smoke Pellets: Teleportation 8", 16 Charges (+0); OAF (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (Matches Stealth Roll; -1/2), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) [/TD]

[TD=align: right]2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]2) Flash Pellets: Sight Group Flash 4d6, 16 Charges (+0), Explosion (+1/2); OAF (-1), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) [/TD]

[TD=align: right][16][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]3) Noxious Fatigue Toxin Pellets: Suppress END 3d6, 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+0), Continuous (+1); OAF (-1) [/TD]

[TD=align: right][2 cc][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right] [/TD]

[TD=align: left] [/TD]

[TD=align: right] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]4) Noxious Weakness Toxin Pellets: Suppress STR 3d6, 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+0); OAF (-1) [/TD]

[TD=align: right][2 cc][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

It seems others have covered most of the mechanical concerns. I would just add that Alchemy can have a very specific feel in some settings and if you are not GM you might want to check if there is a specific alchemy system being used that requires all things to be built such-and-such a way.

Maybe it's just me, but the Limitation for extra time seems to be too good to be true - you're not brewing these on the battlefield, after all, but more often than not during downtime. Somebody walk me through why that's limiting enough to warrant dropping the cost of the power so significantly?

I actually have wondered the myself. (I just copied those stats directly from the 6E GRIMOIRE). Wouldn't it be more appropriate to use the Restricted Recovery (must work in alchemical laboratory; -1/4) for the Charges, instead of the Concentration and Extra Time limitations?

I think there is usually a limit on how many things you can have brewed at once and carry around with you. Plus with the Fragile Foci getting knocked off your horse could ruin your entire supply. Also, in the Grimoire are the items in a Multipower? I think, much like many magic systems, you may have to buy each potion as a separate Power outside of any framework. It may also be priced to balance with the magic system that has the 1/3 cost. I'm willing to bit some combination of those is your answer.

Maybe it's just me' date=' but the Limitation for extra time seems to be too good to be true - you're not brewing these on the battlefield, after all, but more often than not during downtime. Somebody walk me through why that's limiting enough to warrant dropping the cost of the power so significantly?[/quote']

I actually have wondered the myself. (I just copied those stats directly from the 6E GRIMOIRE). Wouldn't it be more appropriate to use the Restricted Recovery (must work in alchemical laboratory; -1/4) for the Charges' date=' instead of the Concentration and Extra Time limitations?[/quote']

Normally, Delayed Effect has a number of "slots" equal to INT/5, so to get close to INT slots, we'd need a total advantage of between +3/4 and +1 (the first will be under, the second will be over), or the GM can alter the basic formula to suit his or her game. The Hero System Grimoire, for example, is based on a high-magic setting (Turakian Age), and so they use an INT/2 as their base. I personally don't like the power levels associated with TA (it feels too "superhero" for my tastes), so I would generally use the standard base in my games.

Second, a power with Delayed Effect and Charges is limited to a maximum of one instance of whatever the total number of charges are per day, meaning that each potion as described here would allow 1 potion of 4 charges to be brewed per day, subject to all other limitations for the creation. So, getting a large number of potions together will take a long period of time, perhaps a week or more, depending on the number of Delayed Effect "slots".

Now, those Limitations for the potion creation should come into play. Most of the time, it can be assumed that a character has enough free time between adventures to restock his or her potions. But the GM should make it so that every once in a while, there isn't that much downtime. Or, maybe there are distractions going on (say, a siege of the castle, while the alchemist works inside). I usually also modify the Alchemy roll by the quality of the equipment, or lack thereof.

Normally, "slots" of powers with Delayed Effect can't be Dispelled or Suppressed, but given the physical nature of potions, I'd assume that they can be. I'd also include the ability of the Alchemist to hand out potions to others (without requiring some sort of UBO), as part of the definition of a potion. As an aside, I've also used Trigger to build potions (starting all the way back in 4e), see 6e1 351 for an example of a potion built this way. It essentially wraps in these potion features into the power, but doesn't do as well at limiting a PC from producing lots of potions.