Transform as a Defense?

I'm trying to build a character for a superhero game that has the ability to manipulate matter and transform anything. I would like to figure out a way to create a Transform 'Shield' where the PC can roll his transform dice and attempt to transform any incoming attack, including ranged attacks. Obviously it would be a 'Severe' Transform... I have a few ideas:

Transform area of effect: surface (but that seems like it would not work against ranged attacks)

A combo power of Barrier and Transform AOE: Surface

Thats all I got. Thanks for the help!

WalkingParadox

Usually, Deflection (which is a Ranged Power by default) will cover this. If you want to Reflect an incomming attack into something with a different sfx you might need some form of Naked Trigger Advantage. That special effect usually requires a VPP to handle all the possibilities. Here's how I made Firestorm the Nuclear Man for 5e

I had intended it to be set to "on" and be forgotten. Does Damage Shield affect ranged powers?
Depending on the nature of the transformation you're intending, this could be as simple as Resistant Defenses with the special effect that there's a field that transforms any attack (that doesn't exceed its defense value) into something harmless. If you intend to be able to have it be a defense that can transform the attack into something useful to you later, that sounds like it might be a linked power.

"Damage Shield" is for when you want someone punching you to take damage. You could buy Resistant Protection, Damage Reduction, or Damage Negation with the SFX of, "Transformative Shield - any attack that would strike me is transformed into something harmless."

What do you want to transform the attacks into? Are you transforming the attacks into something which could be beneficial to you or are they miscellaneous items. If its just miscellaneous items I would treat it as special effect of a defensive power such as Damage Resistant, Reduction or Negation.

This is fine disposable attacks (Bullets, Blasts, etc.) However for attacks which are reusable or part of the attacker (Sword, Fist, etc.) this would not work. I would think you would need to discuss this with the GM; my initial thought would be a transform with a trigger.

If you want this as a passive defense, then just buy Resistant Protection or Damage Negation and say the sfx is Transforming the incoming attack into something harmless or Transforming the air into a point defense right as the attack strikes or something similar. You could buy a Transform or Dispel Damage Shield, but that is just a lot more dice to roll in combat and a headache you don't really need.

The defenses in Hero are meant to be simple and easy to integrate into combat, but they are also generic so you can define them any way you want. Sure you can create weird defenses built with other powers, but why bother? Take advantage of that tool-kit approach and keep it simple.

I'm trying to build a character for a superhero game that has the ability to manipulate matter and transform anything. I would like to figure out a way to create a Transform 'Shield' where the PC can roll his transform dice and attempt to transform any incoming attack, including ranged attacks. Obviously it would be a 'Severe' Transform... I have a few ideas:

Transform area of effect: surface (but that seems like it would not work against ranged attacks)

A combo power of Barrier and Transform AOE: Surface

Thats all I got. Thanks for the help!

WalkingParadox

First I would recommend that you try to explain the power in plain english without any game speak. Describe it to us like we were reading about it in a book. Once you get the power written down in as plain language as you can, then you will start to see our replies start to hit their target. I see that everyone if flailing around trying to build something from an incomplete explanation of what it is you want that power to do.