re: Opinions: Passing Strike vs. Held Action

Hyper-Man

I inadvertantly locked this thread by adding a link to a youtube video. :(

http://www.herogames.com/forums/forum/hero-games/hero-system-discussion/3594487-opinions-passing-strike-vs-held-action/page2

Can a Moderator add a STICKY warning about that issue?

The thread is viewable IF you log OUT of the forums. I get a server error when I attempt to view it while logged IN (meaning I can't edit/delete the offending post in question).

Anway. I think this explains why the DEX roll should cover the SPEEDSTER's movement in the original example.

Holding an Action does NOT garantee a retaliation HTH attack. Only Winning or Tying the DEX roll off can do that.

from: http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/pub...ss/dollar.html

The Dollar Bill Drop After engaging in the neural network exercise, we recommend following it up with the "dollar bill drop" (Fisher, 1979), which not only delights students but also clearly illustrates the speed of neural transmission. Ask students to get into pairs and to come up with one crisp, flat, one-dollar bill (or something bigger, if they trust their fellow classmates!) between them. First, each member of the pair should take turns trying to catch the dollar bill with their nondominant (for most people, the left) hand as they drop it from their dominant (typically right) hand. To do this, they should hold the bill vertically so that the top, center of the bill is held by the thumb and middle finger of their dominant hand. Next, they should place the thumb and middle finger of their nondominant hand around the dead center of the bill, as close as they can get without touching it. When students drop the note from one hand, they should be able to easily catch it with the other before it falls to the ground.

Now that students are thoroughly unimpressed, ask them to replicate the drop, only this time one person should try to catch the bill (i.e., with the thumb and middle finger of the nondominant hand) while the other person drops it (i.e., from the top center of the bill). Student "droppers" are instructed to release the bill without warning, and "catchers" are warned not to grab before the bill is dropped. (Students should take turns playing dropper and catcher.) There will be stunned looks all around as dollar bills whiz to the ground. Ask students to explain why it is so much harder to catch it from someone other than themselves. Most will instantly understand that when catching from ourselves, the brain can simultaneously signal us to release and catch the bill, but when trying to catch it from someone else, the signal to catch the bill can't be sent until the eyes (which see the drop) signal the brain to do so, which is unfortunately a little too late.

Fisher, J. (1979). Body Magic. Briarcliff Manor, NY: Stein and Day.