Anyone help out a newbee?

irondawn

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to help me out? I'm just an old pen and paper gamer with very little computer experience. I'm from the bay area and started playing Champions at conventions when it first came out but Champions has NEVER been very user friendly. Its seems like it is a game by computer geeks for other computer geeks but I'm just a humble English major who loves comics. Still a major geek but technology has always been my enemy. Well then a friend showed me Champions Online and I KNEW I had to play it! I have never played a computer game of any kind before (except for a few hour of Call of Cthulhu: Ends of the Earth) and I had to save up for a new computer that can handle playing CO. I've been having fun making characters and have done a few missions but my love/hate relationship with Hero Games continues in this new format. I avail myself to in-game help and the Champions Online wiki but it does not always help me. It does not seen to be written in English but in some kind a unintelligible technical MMORPG jargon that makes no sense to a Ludite like myself (not to mention typos and errors). I tried to ask questions on the in-game forum but it keeps telling me I can't post yet for a period of time but does not tell me how long I need to wait. I am SO frustrated!!! I just need to find a human being who knows the game well and is patient and can explain certain aspects of the game to me in basic easy to understand English. Is there anyone out there who can help me? Please???!

Thanks so much for answering!! Can you explain what I am to do with all the junk my characters accumulate. I don't understand all this about modifying or "mods", fusion, catalysts, upgrades, crafting, etc. Where does it say on my character if I have any skills to do all this?

Thanks so much for answering!! Can you explain what I am to do with all the junk my characters accumulate. I don't understand all this about modifying or "mods"' date=' fusion, catalysts, upgrades, crafting, etc. Where does it say on my character if I have any skills to do all this?[/quote']

When you hit a certain level, you'll get a quest to go learn about mods and fusion. I think it's around level 10. Do that quest. Take your time, and pay attention to it. It'll show you what you need to know.

Now, I'll try to give you the "in the nutshell" version of it:

1. As your character hits the teen levels, you will find gear that has upgrade slots. You can identify these by the little circle on the bottom of the icon, and if you mouse over, the description at the bottom will say "Hold control and right click to modify this item."

2. Mods, usually noted as things like Growth Amulet X or Gambler's Lucky Gem X (where X is the number denoting the level of the mod), or as Stat Armor or Stat Enhancement (with an actual statistic listed). You plunk those in the slots to get those stats added to the gear.

3. You have six types of gear: Primary and Secondary Offense, Defense, and Utility.

4. Only Primary gear gets upgrade slots.

5. Some of the mods will give different stats depending on which type of gear you put them in. For example, Growth Amulet 1 gives +192 Maximum Health when on a piece of Defense gear OR +3.9 Maximum Energy in a piece of Utility gear, OR +6.5 to your Primary Super Stat when in a piece of Offense gear.

6. Fusion means smushing together a pile of (I think you need five) mods to make one of the next highest level mod. For example, five Growth Amulet 1s can be combined into a Growth Amulet 2. This isn't really needed while leveling up, as you can find plenty of level-appropriate mods to use. Fusions have a percentage chance to succeed, and if they fail you can lose some of the mods you were trying to fuse. I think leveling your crafting skill may help here, but frankly I never bother with fusion because...

7. The highest levels of mods can only be gotten by Fusion. Fortunately, you don't NEED those. You can do fine with all level 5 mods at high level.

8. The mods scale with your level. If you put a high level mod in a piece of gear at lower level, the bonuses will scale down to your level.

9. Catalysts can be used to either increase the odds of a Fusion working, or to ensure that you don't lose any mods when attempting the Fusion and failing. Those are the only two types I can think of off the top of my head.

That's about it for mods and fusion. Do the tutorials and you should have a better grasp on them than I do.

As for what to do with stuff in your inventory you don't need: Sell it to a vendor or sell it on the auction house.

Unsolicited tip: Sometimes your in game cursor will start showing annoying trails. You can turn these off by typing the following into the chat: /softwarecursor 0

Change the 0 to a 1 if you want the annoying mouse trails.

Any other questions, just fire away.

Also, if you are a free player, you might want to check out these forums: http://champions-online.proboards.com/

There's a guide section there that covers almost all (or all, maybe now) of the Archetypes. Very handy.

Another cool link:

http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/champions-online-ffa-game-bundle

Gets you the Devastator Archetype and Viking Warrior costume set. Serpent Lantern is free now anyway, but worth the minor hassle for the freebies. You have to make an account on the site then get the code. It's pretty painless, and I say that as someone who hates signing up for stuff. They don't seem to bother me with spam, either, if that's a concern.