How to build android (like Data in Star Trek)?

Theros

I figure that Data from ST, has 2x the stat of a normal human, possibly 3x a normal human's strength. I remember an episode when someone on the holodeck fell into water and data picked them out of the water with one hand.

Eidetic memory, skills in everything they have processed (possibly a VPP for skills).

This is a beginning...

LS: Does Not Eat, Does Not Eat, High Pressure, High Radiation, Immunity [Disease], Immunity [Poisons], Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Longevity [immortal]

50 Points

He did survive in Space in Star Trek Nemesis.

Armor +10 rPD +10 rED

He took some machine gun rounds in the chest in First Contact.

DF: Golden Skin, Yellow Eyes

PhyL: Can Not Use Contractions (Infrequently/Slightly)

LS: Does Not Eat, Does Not Eat, High Pressure, High Radiation, Immunity [Disease], Immunity [Poisons], Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Longevity [immortal]

50 Points

He did survive in Space in Star Trek Nemesis.

Armor +10 rPD +10 rED

He took some machine gun rounds in the chest in First Contact.

DF: Golden Skin, Yellow Eyes

PhyL: Can Not Use Contractions (Infrequently/Slightly)

I like the PhyL!!!

How about that "robot" like construction?

As has already been suggested, some Resistant Defenses for the durable physical form, and many forms of Life Support.

On the other hand, such a robot may NOT need all the Life Support options you can think of....maybe it should have Does Not Sleep, but maybe it still needs some "downtime" to process and organize memories.

But someone like Data is likely Immune to most disease and poison, for example. (He might still take damage from something caustic, or fall prey to a "compuer virus" or the like.)

Basically, you "reason from effect." Start by describing the abilities shown on the series, then figure out what Skills, Talents, and Powers, with what Advantages and Limitations, will simulate that in the game environment. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "Robot - must need Automaton Powers" or similar rigid thinking. Data could be knocked out and probably could be stunned!

Lucius Alexander

How about that palindromedary?

How about that "robot" like construction?

As has already been suggested, some Resistant Defenses for the durable physical form, and many forms of Life Support.

On the other hand, such a robot may NOT need all the Life Support options you can think of....maybe it should have Does Not Sleep, but maybe it still needs some "downtime" to process and organize memories.

But someone like Data is likely Immune to most disease and poison, for example. (He might still take damage from something caustic, or fall prey to a "compuer virus" or the like.)

Basically, you "reason from effect." Start by describing the abilities shown on the series, then figure out what Skills, Talents, and Powers, with what Advantages and Limitations, will simulate that in the game environment. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "Robot - must need Automaton Powers" or similar rigid thinking. Data could be knocked out and probably could be stunned!

Lucius Alexander

How about that palindromedary?

Another possibility of "robot" like construction is that normal medical care wont work on them. This would be a Physical Limitation "Healed by Mechanics/Engineering instead of Paramedics/Medicine". Its value of course depends on your campaign (likely not much in most campaigns unless you intend for player characters to need medical attention frequently) or you could just list it as a notation worth nothing (and costing nothing) as its essentially a tradeoff.

If you want his "robot" body to be vulnerable to things normal people aren't (such as EMP) then that would be a Susceptibility.

Don't forget that Lucius's points can be expanded upon to other areas as well. Does Not Eat for instance could be balanced by "Requires regular infusions of electricity" or "Requires regular Maintenance". This might be simply a notation on a character sheet when one ability replaces another and they are relatively the same "scale" (like the paramedics to mechanics switch above). This wouldn't normally cost the character any points or grant him any. He works differently than a normal person but in the long run it will rarely grant him a benefit/cause him any problems, or if it does the two sides of the coin will balance out.

(I apply the same reasoning to other things like Blind people having a "Mystic Sight" that allows them to see or paralyzed people who use hoverchairs to get around. There are advantages and disadvantages to that but on the whole its basically a wash so just a notation on the sheet is all that it needs.)

I will make some build one post it to here then. Let me hear your opinions from that then.
One request. If you post a build of a character for us to critique please give us some details of the kind of game it will be played in. Marvel's Vision and ST:TNG are both Androids and neither would work well in the others world so we need some idea of the world the character will live in inorder to give the best advise possible. Important details such as point totals, whether there are AP caps present, theme/genre, and expected number of players are very helpful.

I thought that he had increased speed, but that could be effects of things like speed reading, OCV/DCV, cramming, and other speed tricks. In other threads people have said that there were speedsters built with "only" SPD 2 or 3 and I see no reason that DAta could be the same way.
Especially for new players or GM's it really a good idea to keep everyone's SPD relatively close to each other, and honestly in the show he is rarely shown to be able to do anything other than "skill" based concepts (working on a computer, repairing something, etc) at a speed higher than anyone else on the show. He never seems to be able to fire a phaser more often, or get more licks in during a fight or anything like that. It seems Overall Skill Levels or something like that, possibly with a limitation "Only to offset penalties for performing skill quickly" would be more appropriate than a higher SPD.

The biggest problem you will be facing are point levels. Star Trek Main Characters seem to be build on rather high point totals - I would put them into the 225 or 275 point Categories. Trying to build a Data on 175 points will likely fail.

But even most other Star Trek mains fall into the "Badass Normal" category. In DS9: O'Brien is Scotty-level Engineer who also was a soldier, Garak is a Spy/Commando, Worf can easily kill a dozen normal Klingons without breaking a sweat, Odo is a Shapeshifter Policeman, Bashir an Augment (improved accuracy included) Doctor. And don't get me started on natural abilities like Telepathy.

Unless you make something up with your GM, any form of natural abilities will be significantly more expensive then equipment based ones. Indeed equipment based stuff will likely be totally free (Character point cost wise).

I am going use Data in superhero campaign. Data has came to universum, where PCs are, when he was investating WH in his own universum. Data is subplot, so PCs are supposedly to help him away from their current world to back to his own world. I will use 400 points + 75 points to complications.

I did start to create Data and first problem happened to be Positronic Brains. How I can build positronic brains for him? That is the key thing to build "him". He can easily get more knowledge, just by looking at computer screen (I took Spead Reading x20, maybe that should be inceased to x40, for him).

Currently

STR: 25

Dex: 25

Con: 15

Int: 25

Ego: 10

Pre: 10

OCV: 15 (he hits always with phaser)

DCV: 15 (good reflexes)

OMCV: 3 (cannot use Mental attacks)

DMCV: 3 (needs some power to negate mental attacks)

SPD: 3

PD: 10

ED: 10 (I have to take vulnerable to electric attacks complication)

REC: 10

END: 40

Body: 20

Stun: 40

Total cost: 241 points

Skills:

Climbing: 16-, Deduction 18-, Knowledge (Federation territory): 20-, English 18-, Paramedics 16-, Spaceship Pilot (PS) 16-, Stansport Familiarity (Space Shuttles) 16-, Bureucratics (Federation) 16-, Combat Pilot (Starship) 16-, Computer Programming 18-, Cramming 20-, Cryptography 18-, Electronics 14-

Total cost: 53 points

Perks + powers:

Computer link (8 CP), Internal Clock (Absulte Time Sense), Eidetic Memory, Lightning Calculator, Speed Reading x20

Total cost: 25 points

There are still points to be used...and I am eager to have Phaser weapon (power levels: Stun, Medium Power to kill, Maximum power to kill and then continuous beam to cut and melt things), then that hand held analyzer that he carries.

I am going use Data in superhero campaign. Data has came to universum' date=' where PCs are, when he was investating WH in his own universum. Data is subplot, so PCs are supposedly to help him away from their current world to back to his own world. I will use 400 points + 75 points to complications.[/quote']

Don't worry too much about the point totals. For this kind of non player character you can have as many points as you need.

I did start to create Data and first problem happened to be Positronic Brains. How I can build positronic brains for him? That is the key thing to build "him".

We use the phrase "reasoning from effect." Ask yourself, what does having a Positronic Brain DO for him?

He can easily get more knowledge' date=' just by looking at computer screen (I took Spead Reading x20, maybe that should be inceased to x40, for him).[/quote']

Look under Enhanced Senses. Consider using Rapid, Discriminatory, and Analyze for Sight Group and perhaps for all senses. Of course, you may also want to consider adding various other senses such as Dark Vision, Infrared Vision, etc.

Currently

STR: 25

Dex: 25

Con: 15

Int: 25

I'd consider buying INT even higher. He IS Superhuman after all.

Ego: 10

Pre: 10

Ridiculously low PRE. If you don't give Data some way to be outright immune or extra resistant to PRE attacks, he should have a much higher PRE than this. Perhaps extra PRE with a Limitation only to defend.

OCV: 15 (he hits always with phaser)

DCV: 15 (good reflexes)

I've seen GODS with lower combat values than that. Remember, Hero works on a bell curve. If your OCV is 3 pts higher than your opponent's DCV that's an overwhelming advantage. Also consider that he should have Skill Levels. And possibly a Martial Art including Dodge, Block, Grab, Disarm (he would be programmed to defend self and others but without killing or doing harm if it can be helped.)

OMCV: 3 (cannot use Mental attacks)

DMCV: 3 (needs some power to negate mental attacks)

In the series, he was represented as immune to Mental Powers as I recall - just a machine as far as psionics was concerned.

SPD: 3

I'd probably go for 4, but that's open to interpretation

PD: 10

ED: 10 (I have to take vulnerable to electric attacks complication)

REC: 10

END: 40

Body: 20

Stun: 40

Total cost: 241 points

Skills:

Climbing: 16-, Deduction 18-, Knowledge (Federation territory): 20-, English 18-, Paramedics 16-, Spaceship Pilot (PS) 16-, Stansport Familiarity (Space Shuttles) 16-, Bureucratics (Federation) 16-, Combat Pilot (Starship) 16-, Computer Programming 18-, Cramming 20-, Cryptography 18-, Electronics 14-

Total cost: 53 points

Cramming doesn't have a roll associated with it, but it may be bought multiple times and for Data I would do so.

Um, Transport Familiarity can't have a roll of 16 or less either.

I would include a few Overall Levels.

I'd consider taking Power Skill: Android, to pull off stunts or tricks you didn't think of while writing the character.

Perks + powers:

Computer link (8 CP), Internal Clock (Absulte Time Sense), Eidetic Memory, Lightning Calculator, Speed Reading x20

Total cost: 25 points

I'd add Absolute Range Sense.

There are still points to be used...and I am eager to have Phaser weapon (power levels: Stun' date=' Medium Power to kill, Maximum power to kill and then continuous beam to cut and melt things), then that hand held analyzer that he carries.[/quote']

You have all the points in the world. You're running the game, remember?

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Trek

I wouldn't suggest this for a player character, but for a nonplayer android, consider making it an Automaton. Then it's automatically (so to speak) immune to mental powers and PRE attacks. If you need an excuse for how he seems to think for himself and make his own decisions and seems to have free will despite being "just a machine," I've used this construction for that before:

Self-Willed Automaton: (Total: 8 Active Cost, 3 Real Cost) Computer Programming 11- (17-) (3 Active Points); Limited Power Self Programming Only (-1) (Real Cost: 1) plus Computer Programming (Failsafe) 11- (17-), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Trigger Condition: Faling the first roll; +3/4) (5 Active Points); Limited Power Self Programming Only (-1) (Real Cost: 2)

If you buy INT up to 40 it's nearly impossible to fail both rolls, and the Automaton can "program itself" to do whatever it chooses - so don't even bother rolling, just play it like a free-willed NPC.

Lucius Alexander

Star Palindromedary

Data is probably at least 10 times as strong as normal man. In "The Offspring", Picard describes Lal (his "daughter") as having "the strength of ten men", and it seems doubtful that Data would have made her stronger than he is (equal, would be my guess, since Data wouldn't feel 'threatened' by having an equally powerful child; but possibly slightly weaker in order to 'simulate' the human parent-child dynamic to some extent; he could always upgrade her strength later). In one episode (sorry, can't remember which) Data proves he is stronger than Riker and Worf combined when he closes sliding doors, by himself, that Riker and Worf, together, couldn't budge. There's also "Datalore", where Lore thrashes Worf with contemptuous ease, and "The Chase" where a Klingon captain seems hopelessly inferior to Data in terms of strength.

I'd probably put Data's strength at around 30, since my guess is that he may be somewhat stronger than 10 men.

I proceed further with creation. Now I have following things and changes done:

Changes to previous build:

DMCV: 3 -> 20, cost: 51 points

OCV: 15 -> 12, cost: 45 points

DCV: 15 -> 12, cost: 45 points

Additions to previous build:

Phaser (weapon)

Multipower, 115 points reserve, OAF (-1), fixed slots.

Stun mode: 8d6 STUN (f). Limitations: Stun only, -1/2, Extra time (takes one turn to change firing mode) -1/4. END: 4, Active: 40 points, real points: 15, CP: 2

Killing mode: 4d6 RKA (f), Limitations: Extra time -1/4 (takes one turn to change firing mode). Active points:60, Real Points: 27, CP: 3

Continuous Beam (for cutting and melting) (f): 4d6 Body, Does Body Damage +1, Advantages: Penetrating +1/2, Damage over time +1, 2 increments +1/4, Every segment +2. Limitations: Beam -1/4, Extra time -1/4 (takes one turn to change firing mode). END: 12, Active points: 115 points, Real poinst: 46, CP: 5

Total cost: 115 (reserve) + 3 (slots) + 15 (stun mode) + 27 (killing mode) + 46 (continuous beam)= 128 CP (right?)

Is this weapon done right? I still think that Killing mode is not powerful enough, as in Star Trek almost every opponent dies from one shot (excluding some rare exceptions). Weapon is relatively expensive and most of the characters don't have access to this kind of points to one weapon only. Also I think that Continuous beam cost should be lower, as it is not used to kill opponents. Usually to cut something or melt metal. I think that weapon needs tweaking somehow.

Complications:

Distinctive Features (golden skin and yellow eyes) 15 points

Psychological complication (faithful servant of Federation) 10 points

Psychological complication (Highly attracted to cats, strong and common) 15 points

Social Complication (no feelings or emotions) 20 points

Vulnerability (Electric bursts, x2 damage, uncommon) 10 points

Total: 70 points

On your build:

Phaser probably shouldn't cost Player END, either build it with charges, an END Reserve of its own, or buy powers to 0 END.

Stun only is a -0 limitation (the benefits offset the drawbacks)

Extra time would be a limitation on the Multipower itself that would not affect the price of the slots as it only affects changing the slots in the multipower. As you have it built it would take you one turn to fire the phaser every time! However the OAF limitation DOES get applied to the cost of the slots so that will help a bit there.

Continuous Beam would be a RKA, no need for a Does Body Damage advantage (that is for AVAD/AVLD/NND type powers that normally CANT do Body Damage). You cannot apply that advantage to Blast to make it roll like Body Damage, you have to use RKA. I wouldn't make it Damage over time (no real need) although Constant would work (you only roll to hit once, after that it does its damage every phase as long as you have it on). Its that advantage that is killing your active points there (its +2 1/4) and that would represent that even after you fired the beam it continued to do damage to the target. 4d6 RKA Penetrating will do 14 Body Damage. Thats strong enough to cut through most materials with ease. The penetrating advantage, on the other hand, ensures that it will cut through ANYTHING without the "impenetrable" advantage, doing (on average) 4 Body per phase. That may not sound like much but realize that most "objects" have high DEF but not really high body (in an area per area basis). a 1m thick metal Door would only have 17 Body and would therefore go down in around 5 phases (depending on SPD that is likely under 30 seconds). That's pretty powerful! Most doors are MUCH thinner than that (with correspondingly less Body) and thanks to your penetrating advantage it doesn't matter how tough the material is they are made of (unless of course it was built "impenetrable").

You don't pay points for the "slots" (you list +3 (slots), there is no charge for that). You are also probably using Fixed Slots which means the price of the slot is RC/10 per slot.

Here is a redesigned Phaser for you:

Phaser Multipower: 120 point Reserve, 64 Charges for entire Multipower (+1/2), Extra Time (to change slots, Full Phase -1/2), All slots OAF (-1) Real Cost: 48 CP

(f) 1. Stun Mode: Blast 8d6, Stun Only (-0), OAF (-1) Active Points: 40, Real Points: 20, Final Cost: 2 CP

(f) 2. Killing Mode: RKA 4d6, OAF (-1) Active Points: 60, Real Points 30, Final Cost: 3 CP

(f) 3. Cutting Beam: RKA 4d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Constant (+1/2), Beam (-1/4), OAF (-1) Active Points: 120, Real Points: 53 Final Cost: 5 CP

Total Cost: 48+2+3+5 = 58 CP

Note: I would probably add an "Overload Explosion" mode that does an RKA AOE as that was often used in the show. Build it something like

RKA 4d6, AOE (32m, Explosion +1/2), (Trigger: After set number of segments have passed +1/4) OAF (-1), Extra Time (to set Trigger, Full Phase -1/2) Active Points: 105, Real Points: 42, Final Cost: 4 CP

This allows you to set the phaser to overload after some amount of time has passed. Note that it would take 2 phases to set this up (one phase to switch to overload mode, one phase to set time on trigger) then after how ever many segments you set it to (declared when you activate the power) the phaser explodes. This does of course destroy the phaser, but you can always get another one from the ship's armory.

As far as how effective the killing mode is a 4d6 RKA does on average 14 Body with the chance to do up to 24. That wont quite kill a normal human in one shot normally although it will put them almost dead. You can make it deadlier if you want to, all you have to do is add dice to it. (simulating fiction is a points be damned experience. The system isn't balanced to make simulating the fiction cheap. It is balanced to make the game fair and playable (who wants to play a game where you die if you get hit once?))

Thank you from phaser build, that looks good It seems that I need a lot of practice to get my builds work.

Well.. Phaser will be more likely Data's weapon in superhero campaign and he doesn't use it agains PCs (hopefully not), as they are supposed to help me away. I will increase damage to 6d6 I guess, then it should be able to take out most people.

I will work with Tricoder build today, that is pretty much analyzing tool.