Keep on the Borderlands

phydaux

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished a remake/homage to In Search of the Unknown with Two Kings Keep, probably next year before I get to the KOTB re-imagining.  But it will be in the same area, and part of an campaign introduction package of adventures and setting if all goes as planned: here's a location, adventures set in it, maps, etc.

The guards in the keep didn't stand a chance in D&D. By the time you finished cleaning out the Caves the PCs were all level 5-6 and were like unto gods compared to normals with 3 hit points.

This is why we housed ruled your hit points at first level were full dice.

Yeah battle harden guards in the wilderness with 3 hit points.

This is why we housed ruled your hit points at first level were full dice.

Yeah battle harden guards in the wilderness with 3 hit points.

Yeah but if you at cinema or fiction and on how easily guards get killed. 3 HP is about right. Heck this season on game of thrones the one big guard gets stabbed in the back and dies without so much as slapping the attacker. I cried BS because any other time a big person never dies so quickly and without some sort of a fight.

"Look at the encounter table. All of the other 0 experience point small animal encounters come in a variable range. 1-12 rats, 2-5 squirrels, etc. Except flying squirrels. You get five flying squirrels every time. With a THACO of 20, they hit AC 10 exactly 50% of the time. Swoop! The flying squirrels come through your party, doing exactly 2.5hp of damage to the magic user. Who has, on average, 2.5hp. Coinciidence? I don't think so.

"So as you roll up your next character, take comfort in the fact that Gary wanted it to happen this way."

• 2 weeks later...

RQ had Snake Pipe Hollow and Apple Lane. I did see an apple lane conversion for D&D in Dragon back in the TSR days.

Yeah we had to flesh out the keep on the border ourselves. Came up with the backstory fort the caves of Darkness(Chaos).

It became the seed of a much larger campaign. 

Then we all branched out into new systems MERP, Hero, RQ