CO questions

Patriot

I started playing it again on and off after CoH was killed off.

It's entertaining for a bit. CoH was much better for teaming and feeling like part of a community (at least for me), while CO is better for solo play. It has some fun story arcs. But, it just doesn't grip me the way CoH did.

I finally got around to getting a character to 40 recently. It was anticlimactic. In CoH, the game basically started at 50 (max level)...there was a lot of endgame content. In CoH my character didn't feel any different at 40 than he did at 30. I use all the same powers, I just picked up a few more situational clicks which I pretty much never need to use...and usually forget to use when they would actually be useful as they just kind of sit there on my power tray. Because of the lockouts (1 slotted passive, 1 toggled form, shared cooldowns on many clicks), there really isn't much use in getting more powers once you have your basic set locked in.

Similarly, you get a second travel power eventually but you can only use one or the other at any given time...which in some cases makes sense but not in others (for instance, I would like my Athletics user to be able to use his swingline fluidly, but i have to either stop and click and then swing or land stop and toggle athletics depending on which mode I'm in).

They added vehicles a while back and while its cool conceptually, given that most supers are already quite fast and can fly if they want to take the power, its pretty redundant.

There aren't enough zones. Part of the fun of CoH for me was how big the playable expanses were. Though it was sometimes annoying when task forces would run you around the zones for no real reason, it was fun to have different scenery, and alternate play paths. I could focus on various zones with specific characters to create a sense of differentiation (at least in my own mind), so for instance my urban avenger brute "Street Rules" focused on the grittier zones like Kings Row, Independence Port, Striga Island, Faultline, Brickstown and so on while my mystic mystery man stalker "Warden Grim" focused on the more esoteric / supernatural zones like Perez Park, the various Midnighter Club destinations, Croatoa, Cimerora, the Night Ward, and so on.

But...anyway, though I have some gripes about it, CO still allows me to play something superheroish when the mood strikes.

I kind of view it like one of those action arcade games. It's fun to hop in, do some quests, and smash some bad guys. It's very easy to hop on and feel like you got a little something done. I play super casually, and it's good for that from time to time.

As KS said, it needs more zones and more end game content. I don't really expect too much of either to be coming. It's not quite on life support mode, but it seems like the effort is on developing new cash shop items (and the events are all themed around these items, and don't offer the greatest game play, though I did like the aesthetics of the Tron areas in the last/current one) rather than doing anything meaningful content-wise.