• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the more I think about it, any random handful of hours watching Encore Westerns could get you a couple of NPCs.

Anyway for some odd reason- I thought of Cowboy Bebop in the Old West what with them being bounty hunters in a space Western

Jet- would be a former lawman who suffered injury (i'd go with a limp since cyborg arms arent exactly available). Given what was revealed of his past in law and his dogged determination going after criminals, being an expert tracker would be a good fit. Plus he had a connection with that old medicine man

Spike- He'd have some Man With No Name thing going. Not sure how exactly to put his gangster past in. Possibly as a member a group like the Rojos or Baxters from a Fistful of Dollars. A gunfighter who learned some martial arts from a migrant Chinese railroad worker at some time might fit.

Faye- umm, obviously she needs more outfit to fit in. Could end up a little Calamity Jane. though she might make bounty captures at festivities. And the gambling, a lot of gambling in the saloons. Her 50 years of suspended animation probably isnt workable. Her big debt would have to come from elsewhere somehow.

Ed- if you can get Ed fit in here you are more creative then me.

Vicious- A perfect El Indio type.

"Radical" Edward could be a hacker in the other sense, which is to say, a fabricator.  She could be an inventor, and wear more clothing, eh?  No computers, but...

• Ancient Egyptians invented fiberglass, which has been used for flak vests by Yanks in WWII.  Maybe she could do likewise?
  • Manned kites and kite-propelled carriage already invented.
  • She could put together a strengthened version of the Le Mat revolver (ten-shooter), to fire cartridges.  Navy Arms and such sell them today.

What else would be cool for her to work on?

Radical_Edward_by_alexanderwelitschko.jp

I guess she could have a little bit of steampunk inventing type going.

The "kid" from "Sympathy for the Devil" could have some medicine man curse placed upon him. Only way I can think to make that work. Gren from the two-parter could still have what happened to him still from experimental drugs I suppose. And conveniently he could still be Vicious's comrade from the war, quite easily. I guess Pierrot would have to be some steampunk-cyborg gone completely loopy.

With Firefly being a space Western. Mal would be perfect. Veteran from the losing side of the war trying to make a living. Zoe would have to be redone (gender and race) if you want to put a comrade from the war by his side. And Jayne? Well Jayne is Jayne.

Cross-post from Player Finder-

Things change.  As our campaign opens, Ohio and Indiana are "the West," not just points west of the Mississippi.  People referred to the East as "The States."

Cowboys in the Sandwich Islands, later called Hawaii, are called paniolos.

Army cavalrymen were between 5'5" and 5'10", and were to weigh no more than 150 pounds, as horses and all their tackle could only carry about 240 pounds.

Army recruits earned $13 per month for their first two years, $14 for year three, $15 for year four, and $16 for year five, the last year of their obligation.  Subsequent pay was $18 until year eleven- $1 pay increase per each additional 5-year enlistment.  Corporals pay likewise ranged from $15-$20 per month, duty sergeants $18-$23 per month, first sergeants $25-$30 per month, based on years of service.

By 1868, four African-American regiments ("Buffalo Soldiers") were consolidated into the 24th and 25th infantry regiments.

What do you have to add about this period?

You can get the DVD set Ultimate TV Westerns at Wal-Mart for ten bucks. It's full of good stuff to mine for ideas: Bonanza, The Roy Rogers Show, The Lone Ranger, Shotgun Slade. You might also want to look for Wanted: Dead or Alive, which stars Steve McQueen.

As for music, it doesn't get any better than Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Hoyt Axton, John Denver, and C.W. McCall.

If you're looking for more fictional characters, I'd suggest the Robert E. Howard character Breckenridge Elkins. He'd be a hoot to play. :D