Who is your role model?

Cassandra

For me it was Wonder Woman.  I love a strong, patriotic woman in a beautiful costume who can control men's minds.

I also licked the Mighty Hercules because I like his needing to put on a magic ring, and the outfits he and Helena wore.

Well, my favourite character I never played is Knight Sabre, inspired by the Knight Sabres of Bubblegum Crisis. (See how inventive I can be with names?)

Another (recently drawn up character) is Grodna, the Last Guardian of Oona who is inspired by all those noble, last member or their species/aliens on earth type characters like Silver Surfer.

My last character is Darkstar. His original version  was drawn up using the old Marvel FASERIP random generator system. So he wasn't actually inspired by anyone. I hadn't even heard of Marvel's Darkstar at the time.

As for a personal favourite comic character I'd have to say Spidey. Fighting the good fight, one smart arse quip at a time.

My first character Pterodactyl was based on the Heculoid Zok the dragon. She was kind of lame as a character.

My second character was based on Iron Man and Called Steele (was watching TV when I built him.. back in the 80's so sue me). That character was put together better and with the help of friends who actually understood the system was a decent character.

My Next character was roughly based on the Illustrated Man. He was living his life at different timeperiods all at the same time. Fortune had insights based on his past and future experiences. Other than that a character that was an elite Normal.

My character's personalities are all based on my own philosophies and how I think a Superbeing should be like. So Protective of Innocents (ie Non Combatants and others not working for the bad guys). Reluctant to kill, Curious, Overconfident etc. I am not sure that I can point at any one superhero and say that my character is modeled from their personality. I guess Sue Storm was a big Influence. Perhaps She Hulk was a bit later. It's hard for me to connect to the gods of the DC universe, so none of them (ex perhaps Batgirl ,Barbara Gordon).

Mister Terrific, the awful 1967 TV sitcom series, because both the TV character and the Champions character derive their powers from short-duration power pills.

Captain Nice was better, but then again I'm a big fan of William Daniels.  Mr. Terrific did have veteran character actor John McGiver on the show (remember him from The Manchurian Candidate?)

Hellfire was inspired by nobody.  Her powers were randomly rolled and her personality was the product of her name. 

Phreak was inspired by Bill the Cat.  Ack. And Warlock from the New Mutants.

Riptide was inspired by the Flash and Aquaman

Tien Lung was inspired by the reptilian character from the Trouble Twisters

Gossamer was inspired by the fairies of A Midsommer Nights Dream

Helgard is a generic brick monster created to fill a gap.

Assault was mostly Luke Cage.

Most of my other characters have been Superman homages to one degree or another, both in powers and attitude.

I also have a punkish semi-antihero sitting in my head somewhere. Superman-like powers, with an attitude. He's my response to Iron Age psycho vigilantes - he throws them out windows.

On the serious side when we started the campaign back in late 1984, early 85 we needed to start covering the archetypes. My first character was The Flame and he was like the Human Torch except he had a cape and clothes. He had Instant Change, could fly and energy blasts. Unlike the Torch he was married.

The Magician is a Dr Strange type but rather than have the mansion and lots of mystic adventures I tried to keep him fighting the regular crooks.

Other characters were predominately Marvel based. Arachneida was Spider Man as a woman; Wolfclaw was Wolverine; And the Avenger was Captain America.

The Flame, The Magician and the Demoness all ended up being done by Storn within a couple of years of my commissioning work from him, and indeed if you have the Mutants and Masterminds 2nd edition book, look at the figure demonstrating Magic and that is the Magician.

Spidey was always my biggest inspiration...

Though my first character ever was TOON!!! A cartoon super-hero brought to the "real" world by a magic spell. His powers were super-strength and durability, and a small multipower of slapstick-cartoon-physics-based powers.

All built on a piddly 250 points!

I think I still have his character sheet stashed somewhere...

Iron Man and Acroyear (the Micronaut) were the original inspiration for my first Champions hero Acroyear. I played him for a while in the late 80's then ported him over when I started my own Champions campaign back in 1993. After several years in the campaign as an NPC (and member of the PC's superteam) I decided it was time to kill him off in a spectacular way that moved the campaign forward in a new direction. His memory lives on in the campaign though. :)

I have, to this day, still only played a single true Champions character - Hardcase.  I played a one-shot where I had a guy roughly inspired by TMNT more than traditional comics, a super Martial Artist mutant anthropomorphic cat.

I don't know where I got the inspiration for Hardcase.  Possibly Cyborg but I had no clue who Cyborg was when I first made Hardcase.  I just wanted a Cybernetic Super-Soldier.  Probably more inspired by Cyberpunk / Shadowrun MOO's I used to play.  He definitely mimicked a lot of Cyborg's schticks - right down to the cannon for an arm - but it really was not intentional.

I love playing Champs but have never been a big comic book reader.  Just learned bits and pieces and saw some through friends who were.

I have, to this day, still only played a single true Champions character - Hardcase.  I played a one-shot where I had a guy roughly inspired by TMNT more than traditional comics, a super Martial Artist mutant anthropomorphic cat.

I don't know where I got the inspiration for Hardcase.  Possibly Cyborg but I had no clue who Cyborg was when I first made Hardcase.  I just wanted a Cybernetic Super-Soldier.  Probably more inspired by Cyberpunk / Shadowrun MOO's I used to play.  He definitely mimicked a lot of Cyborg's schticks - right down to the cannon for an arm - but it really was not intentional.

I love playing Champs but have never been a big comic book reader.  Just learned bits and pieces and saw some through friends who were.

Don't sweat it the Cybernetic Supersoldier has a much longer history than DC's Cyborg. Look at Deathlok. or Steve Austin. There have been a ton of B movies with super cyborg soldiers in them. Cyberpunk and later Anime Cyberpunk has a long tradition of full body replacement Cyborgs.

I'm having a hard time responding to this thread because I can't really draw a line from a single published character to any of mine.  Overall, my characters avoid bright spandex in favor of street clothes or appropriate armor, without masks, and I tend to play more melee-based heroes.  So I'm pretty squarely Marvel, and I suppose the Marvel characters I'd be most likely to play would be guys like Power Man and Thor.