How To Build A HA Baton

Acroyear II

One of my players is looking to buy a HA baton that can also be thrown and do the same damage at range as at no range. The thing is, he wants it not to be built as a multipower.

He has a 25 STR, and wants a 6d6 HA, for a total of 11d6 in HTH combat. He also wants to be able to do 11d6 at range with the baton as well.

What if we build the 6d6 HA with Ranged and Range Based On STR, and of course, OAF. But wouldn't he also have to buy (seperately) STR Usable At Range (+1/2 Advantage), Only with HA (maybe a -1/4 Limitation).

What do you guys think?

Also, is there a better way to buy this?

I beleive that you may add your strength to a "Ranged" attack that is bout that way...I am sure that a axe can be thrown and if it is you add the STR...if I'm wrong I as a GM would let it happen anyway...the GM may trump any rule if it adds to the game...in this case the illusion of "realism".......so HA+6D6 ranged, OAF lim must be thrown (loses focus when throw) and you're golden.....

Looking at the example weapons on FREd page 329, I see 7 hand-to-hand weapons with the note "Can Be Thrown". They're Axes, Daggers, Knives, Javelins, Spears, and the like.

IIRC, when I did the maths, it was a +1/2 Advantage. Someone might want to recheck that, though.

Alternatively, take Ranged +1/2, Range Limited By Strength -1/4.

22 Multipower - 45 points, OAF

2u +6d6 HA, 0 END (11d6 HA for 2 END w/ 25 STR)

2u 9d6 EB, range limited by STR, 4 END

It's a little more work to throw the baton than swing it (higher END cost), but that just keeps the hero from using it at range all the time. If it doesn't automatically return, you'll have to add 1 Recoverable Charge and Costs END to the limitations.

Originally posted by Lightray

Looking at the example weapons on FREd page 329, I see 7 hand-to-hand weapons with the note "Can Be Thrown". They're Axes, Daggers, Knives, Javelins, Spears, and the like.

IIRC, when I did the maths, it was a +1/2 Advantage. Someone might want to recheck that, though.

Alternatively, take Ranged +1/2, Range Limited By Strength -1/4.

Yes and everyone of them is a HKA, for some reason Steve has ruled that a HA can not be ranged but a HKA can, I have never understood the logic personaly

Originally posted by JmOz

Yes and everyone of them is a HKA, for some reason Steve has ruled that a HA can not be ranged but a HKA can, I have never understood the logic personaly

hrm. That IS odd. Never noticed that.

... But then look in the Ultimate Martial Artist:

- Bokken (p 169)

- Kusari, Kusarigama, Kyogetsu Shoge, Manriki-Gusari, Kusari-fundo (p 170)

- Yari, Yari (Kamayari) (p 171) (assuming the advantages are applied to both slots in the M-P)

- Rings, Sai (normal), Wind and Fire Wheels (traditional) (p 172)

Where the footnote says "Apply the Ranged (+1/2) Advantage, signifying an HKA a character can throw...", but yet is applied repeatidly to Normal damage weapons.

bah. Rule #6 may require a Multipool to be used, but Keep It Simple (, Stupid) makes me to go with the easy limitation route.