Thinking in Hero

Ndreare

A friend of mine and I have been joking for quite some time how we "think in Hero". For example we can look at an energy drink and think that looks like a 1d6 aid to end & recover fades after 1 hour, with 1 non-recoverable charge.

We also started doing that in other games we were playing making it easier to see broken bits that should have been fixed pre-release.

So I was just wondering do any of you find yourself "thinking in Hero", looking at a new friend, gun, car, table or whatever and considering its basic outline in Hero terms? Even looking at people I find myself doing this for example looking at one of my coworkers I thought. "She must be a lot of points, as an Attorney who is very attractive, athletic and financially doing well I can see she is over 75 points without even writing up her background skills."

It can also be sad when you write up some other people who are not doing nearly as well.

(As an aside I did notice that high point people tend to partner with other high point people.)

I do not do it for real life things. There was always a strong seperation between Real Life and anything RPG related for me.

I tend to do it for some cases in fiction, but usually not on the first watching (the first time I watch for the Story).

I am pretty certain that I could provide unbroken writeups for every moviecharacter I ever saw, inlcuding stuff like the Jedi from Episode 4-6, just thinking about it I can already see mayor parts of the build.

When I see another RPG system, I tend to notice all the flaws it has compared to HERO:

D&D seems like a bunch of flaws, with more flaws added to limit the problems from some flaws.

Shadowruns separation between Magic and Cybertech (via essense drain) seems like a primitive attempt at balance, where Hero just has the balance by not seperating the two.

When thinking about Hero, I tend to think in Programming Terms: A Power on the Sheet is like a class, build from primitve types (Hero powers, modifiers). The power being actively used is like an Instance of that Power being created. Instances of Powers with Instant Duration do thier work and instantly vanish. Telekinesis can have multiple instances running at the same time. Most other powers can only be instantiated once.

I think my way of thinking in Programming terms is what comes closest to your "Thinking in Hero". If I see how a Programm works (and how it is bugged/incomplete) and asuming it uses techniques I am familiar with, I sometimes feel like I can see at least the programm flow and where it is faulty.