Short Adventures

Ndreare

This was lost from a previous posting and mentioned under another topic so I would re-post it here.

Hopefully someone can take it and run with it.

Each of these is meant to run in 2-3 hours with new players. Hopefully someone uses them and likes them.

The simple items were meant to be found as spoils of war..

The Following is what I stated on the third adventure for a 3 part senario, but I never saw much interest so I gave up.

**************************************************************************************

Trouble Brewing [title] Background

The players have already been running around making a difference in the local area. This should be at least the third session into a campaign if not further.

After having a little time to take a break and enjoy some liberties the players are relaxing in a tavern getting ready to head out and continue their patrol.

What the Players Know

One of the players makes a perception roll to notice a suspicious man taking watching them and sneaking out. If none of the players make the perception roll have Jubal come over and try to casually ask questions.

Upon investigating the player’s will learn the man was being paid to keep an eye out for Rangers and report their activities and number.

The man’s name is Jubal, he is a local thief and does not know who he is reporting too. He met with a stranger who gave him a Sympathy Crystal (see hand out 00) and specific instructions. His instruction are; Watch for rangers, when possible get names, number and activity. After interrogating him hardened players will likely have him hung for treason. Players with more modern sensibilities will likely have him incarcerated by a local magistrate.

If the players make an interrogation roll they will learn the following.

Ø  Roll is +2 or higher = all he knows is his instructions, no other useful details.

Ø  Roll is +1 = The man who hired him had a noble type accent. Maybe he was from the upper crust.

Ø  Roll is +0 = He remember the man smelled kind of like roses, and had a ring on his hand with a moon on it.

Ø  Roll is -1 or more = The man who hired him came from south of here towards Sove a major city.

This information should be enough to get the players investigating. Who is it that is spying on the Throne’s Rangers? The only purpose for such a thing is ignoble and this needs to be investigated.

The players will have to head out to investigate what ever the case. Do they take the Sympathy Crystal or destroy it, do they head straight for the city of Sove or do they poke around town some more?

HERO Games

For more information on The Turakian Age setting, HERO Games or Fantasy HERO visit www.herogames.com

Created by Robert Towell

IST 00 - Player Primer.pdf

IST 00 - Some Ranger's Equipment.pdf

IST 01 - What About The Goblins.pdf

IST 02 - Help Weve Been Ravaged By Dragons.pdf

I also around the same time made these magic items to award as spoils during play.

ISSUED EQUIPMENT TO ALL RANGER/RETRIEVAL AGENTS

Nap Sack: LS (Safe in Intense Cold) (2 Active Points); OAF (-), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character is restrained by blanket; -)  (2 AP, 1 RP)

>> This sleeve shaped blanket preserves its user in even the coldest weather allowing him to sleep in comfort on any night. When not in use this blanket can be rolled up to as small as 4” around and 18” long.

Pathfinder: Detect A Single Thing: Fire 11- (Unusual Group) (3 Active Points); OAF (-), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -)  (3 AP, 1 RP)

>> This long wooden rod is about ¾" round and 10” long with a joint in the middle. The user can concentrate for a brief moment causing the top end of the rod to bend and point in the direction of the nearest source of fire. (Normal range & size modifier apply to this sense power.)

Spark Stone: Blast 1 point, Constant (+), Sticky (+) (4 Active Points); OAF (-). END 1   (4 AP, 2 RP)

>> This 4” long ½" round stone has the ability to create a tiny flame. In all practical purposes it works about the same as a modern Bic lighter.

Sympathy Crystal: Mind Link Matching Sympathy Crystal class of minds, One Specific Mind, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +) (6 Active Points); OAF (-), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (2-Minute Message or less; -), Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; Must speak the message; -)  (6 AP, 2 RP)

>> These crystals always come in pairs. The crystals have the ability to store 2 minutes of sound. Someone with access to either crystal can listen to, erase or record sounds. Usually sympathy crystals are used for communication between spies and military units, however some wealthy people have been known to use them as simple toys or even for social communication between loved ones away.

Tinkers Brush: Cosmetic Transform 1 point (One color into another), Constant (+); OAF (-), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (½ DCV; -). END 1   (1 AP, 1 RP)

>> This item looks like a simple 2” angled paint brush. Whenever used the tinker’s brush transforms the color of whatever it is used on. This color change becomes inherent to the item/person changed and it not a layer of paint or something that can be washed off. After about an hour the effects of the tinker’s brush begin fading away and are completely gone in about 1 turn.

LOOT FROM MAYOR DANSON

Boots of Far Striding: Running 0m (12m total), x4 NC, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +) (7 Active Points); IIF (-)  (7 AP, 6 RP)

>> The wearer of these boots finds the space around him folds dimensionally. For every step he takes he appears to move two steps worth of distance. While the wearer does not notice the effects of the movement, outside observers see his body apparently distorting and stretching as he moves in a strange way.

Cloak of the Hummingbird: Multiform (10 Character Points in the most expensive form) (2 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -), IIF (-)  (2 AP, 1 RP)

>> This small cloth is sown with a highly detailed image of a humming bird (or other common song bird). When held in the hands the user may concentrate on the napkin and in a matter of seconds turn into a humming bird. Gaining all of the abilities of a humming bird while retaining human intelligence. The character becomes identical to the songbird in the Hero System grimoir, however Intelligence, Ego and Body are all 10.

Gloves of the Light Finger: Stretching 4m, Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+), Invisible Power Effects (Inobvious to [one Sense Group]; +), Indirect (Source Point is the Character, path can change with every use; +) (8 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-), IIF (-), Limited Body Parts (-), no NC Stretching (-). END 1   (8 AP, 3 RP)

>> These magical gloves grant the wearer the ability to reach through the air, having his hand invisibly cross several meters unnoticed. Thieves use gloves to pick pockets often from the safety of a building or other out of sight location.

Reconnaissance Stone:  Store Image: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (May Stoe only 1 thing at a time; -), OAF (-), Extra Time (Full Phase, -) plus Recreate Image: Sight Group Images (10 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (Only to recreate last image; -), OAF (-), Extra Time (Full Phase, Full phase to store or reveal the image; -). END 1(This small silvery crystal has the ability to store the last image viewed through it in perfect clarity. The user simply looks through the crystal and concentrates. Once done the stone can generate the image observed in perfect detail until a new image is recorded in it.)     (15 AP, 3 RP)

>> This small silvery crystal has the ability to store the last image viewed through it in perfect clarity. The user simply looks through the crystal and concentrates. Once done the stone can generate the image observed in perfect detail until a new image is recorded in it.

Shadow Mantel: Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (Only to conceal identaty; -), IAF (-). END 2   (20 AP, 6 RP)

>> The wearer of this iron necklace has the ability to cause his facial features to constantly be in shadows. While active identifying any of the wearers features becomes close to impossible. Because of its unsavory uses, sale of a shadow mantel is illegal in most kingdoms.

Talisman of Vitality: +3 REC (3 Active Points); IAF (-)  (3 AP, 2 RP)

>> This brass talisman grants the user the health and hardiness of a much younger person.

Wayfarers Cloak: LS (Safe in Intense Heat) (2 Active Points); OIF (-)  (2 AP, 1 RP)

>> This fine red cloak appears to be made of soft leather that still has a thin layer of fine fur on it. When worn and drawn together it provides the wearer with cooling shade from the sun and heat of the desert.

Hopefully someone can take it and run with it.

The Following is what I stated on the third adventure for a 3 part senario, but I never saw much interest so I gave up.

I think you (Ndreare) were too quick to throw in the Towell.

My question for you (everyone else) is - is this a good seed to start from in creating a "starter kit" and if so, where do we take it from here?

And another question for you (Ndreare and everyone else) - who actually has used these as a "starter adventure" to introduce new people to Hero and how well has it worked?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says I have people I have to tell about this

I posted it on the net,but never received criticism on what needed fixed.

My brother who is not very good at hero ran it and it worked out okay.

Note when I use it I present all the player characters in the same numbers lite format I used for the goblins and soldiers in the adventure.

New players hate the official character sheet in every case I have ever known.

I only used the official looking one here on the boards because this site teens to have people who like the rules heavyness.