Why run Hero 6th?

UbiquitousRat

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair point, but I don't know if it will work with Hero Combat Manager.

It doesn't work directly with HCM - yet.  Again one of those features I have on my product backlog. 

There is a workaround using the GM Adjust feature in the tool and decide to 'one shot' any character by setting the character's state to Dead or Stun to -50 and a Knocked State.

Feedback time! Session #1 with HERO...

Thanks to all for advice thus far... now to build a proper adventure session AND win over the other three players next session.

Game on!

That is awesome to hear. Remember it is better for the players to have six battles that are too easy, than even one accedental total party kill.

Just keep taking it slow and you will soon master the system.

6e2 pg 120 One Hit Wonders:

Gamemasters using this option don’t worry about the exact STUN and BODY a minor enemy has — they simply decide how many hits it takes to kill him. The weakest are one-hit wonders: a single successful Attack Roll against them kills them. Stronger foes require more, or better, hits. For example, a two-hit foe takes two successful Attack Rolls to kill, or only a single Attack Roll that’s made by 2 or more; a three-hit foe needs three hits, or one hit made by 3 or more; and so on. To disguise what he’s doing, the GM should still have the players roll damage dice; if a character gets an especially good roll, the GM may treat that as the equivalent of having made the Attack Roll by 1 or 2 points more.

It's been a part of the official rules forever. Mostly used in LARGE combats where you really don't want to be dealing with 20+ minions.

I don't think it made into Champions Complete :(  Perhaps if they do a Fantasy Hero Complete it will appear there.

In campaigns using Hit Locations and wounding and such, this is even more of a go-to option since any real BODY damage would likely take someone out of the fight anyways, and the more actors involved the more tracking there is of wounds and the like if you don't.

I've got Kazei 5, but it's a bit more Japanese Anime rather than Shadowrun.

Ok, so better question: Has anyone done those AND have a set of resources I can pinch to setup my own versions with?

This is a little out-dated, but it is remarkably thorough for Star Trek. Will require conversion from 5th edition, but that's not too terrible a chore.

I have a hard copy of Cyber Hero for 4th edition packed away somewhere, but honestly my favorite Shadowrun conversions haven't required much work. Name some weapons to retain flavor. Build powers for spells and summoning to fit the fluff if not the mechanics. And racial templates. Oh, and I'm a sucker for any version that stats up the Net/Matrix/Whatever as another dimension...

Ok, so better question: Has anyone done those AND have a set of resources I can pinch to setup my own versions with?

I sent you a dropbox link by PM.  They may help a bit. 

Kazei 5 + Fantasy Hero = Shadowrun more or less.

One trick to use with Hero. Don't be afraid to mix and match Sourcebooks. There are times when you really need to mix elements from different books.

K5 should be pretty easy to ease the crazy Anime elements out of it. There's a great section on Cyberwear and the Net.

This is a little out-dated, but it is remarkably thorough for Star Trek. Will require conversion from 5th edition, but that's not too terrible a chore.

I have a hard copy of Cyber Hero for 4th edition packed away somewhere, but honestly my favorite Shadowrun conversions haven't required much work. Name some weapons to retain flavor. Build powers for spells and summoning to fit the fluff if not the mechanics. And racial templates. Oh, and I'm a sucker for any version that stats up the Net/Matrix/Whatever as another dimension...

Holy smokes that is high quality fan work. But i did not see a credits page, who did the work?

Wow - Spence - that Trek stuff is also high quality fan work! Thanks, dude!

Only wish I could claims some sort of credit.   I can't find anything indicating who wrote it. 

But it looks different than the one JasonPacker linked.   Both packets were very well done.  

Only wish I could claims some sort of credit.   I can't find anything indicating who wrote it. 

But it looks different than the one JasonPacker linked.   Both packets were very well done.  

Me neither. I found it with a google search when searching here proved to be fruitless after the move to new software.

One advantage that I haven't seen mentions for Hero is that once the group has learned it, they don't have to start over when you switch campaigns. You are not suddenly having to learn new ability check, attack, and damage mechanics because you switched from low fantasy to space opera.

The available equipment and powers will change, but not the game mechanics used.

This is common avantage of generic or universal systems, but most of them only work at a narrow power level or with a specific kind of "Feel" Personally I would think the two strongest aspects of Hero compared to those are.

1: Higher scale allows greater granularity not less.

2: One system allows style from gritty "realistic" simulation to romantic 4 color silver age simulation.

Disclaimer: I do not care or want to argue about what the differnce between gritty and romantic is to most people and only that in this context they represent oposite ends of a spectrum.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

Four of five regular players have played the new HERO conversion Tikhon campaign, and all seem happy. Just one guy to teach, who's only absent due to work pressures.

Also had interest at the school club for an MHI scenario, allowing me to demo HERO to the teen lads.

Looks good. Once again, big thanks for prior and ongoing support!