It seems to me that the WoW team:

1) does not listen closely to beta testers warnings and concerns (or lacks time to act on them)

2) has compartmentalized departments with no overall guidance or sufficient communication

3) lost its most brilliant and talented people after Wrath of the Lich King

Way too much stuff complained about in beta makes it to release only to be fixed sometimes years later, way too much stuff is wildly variable (different trade skills, lacking items in trades, different quest chains of wildly varying rewards and difficulty, etc), and the feel of the game has changed much since its best years.  Adding so many old Sony people from the EverQuest team was a huge, fairly obvious mistake.

Kinda like Warlords of Draenor was? :D

Yeah, that was overpriced too :)

And it looks like a free slot will be granted after all to those that pre-order Heart of Thorns and already have the game. Whether one will be granted to those who have the game but wait till it comes out is in debate.

Uniformity across their games.

Silly reason, considering Follow was already bound to F. They simply left it unbound with the change. Though to be fair, aside from the turd of a website, PWI hasn't been as bad for CO as it could have been. At least it's cruising along in a semi-maintenance mode that doesn't show signs of being abandoned like its big brother COH was. (Knocks on wood.)

While not a true MMO in the sense of a RPG, I tried out War Thunder today. Good for a few laughs but I will not be going back in. The controls just don't do it for me.

Watched the trailer for the new SW:ToR expansion. Like always, the trailer is (likely) much better than the game itself.

Screenshots look kind of cool, but it seems like I'd have to learn a whole new control scheme or something. I haven't played a flying game since Red Baron on DOS.

Hey, guys. I've come up with the idea of making the Legion of Heroes, our somewhat official Champions Online supergroup into a Roleplay group. While still acting as a way to try to look for a group to play with, it'll attempt to foster RP in a community environment. Thoughts? Too little, too late?

So, I checked out the Tanaan Jungle a bit. The shipyard, less so. (I plan to ignore it if possible, it just seems like a more annoying version of follower missions.) The environmental art is excellent, though of course it's a bit on the dark side. There are a LOT of silver border elites ("rares") that drop higher-level items.

It seems like the rares drop either a blue level 655 named item or a Timeless Isle-like token that turns into a blue 650 piece that can proc to an epic 675 piece.  I'm not sure if they drop items on subsequent kills like TI mobs or if they only drop them once, like world rares in WoD. I suspect the former, will test it out. For the most part, they aren't super difficult to solo. My iLVL 615-ish feral druid was able to down every one of them she tried, except for the one demon near the base camp that seemed to heal itself back up. I'm not sure if the mob actually has self-healing or was glitching, though. That was way late last night, so during normal hours, the only issue should be getting to a rare before a mob of players downs it. So, some fairly easy gear upgrades. The old Apexis gear vendors in Ashran are selling their wares for gold now, but at the prices they're asking, you're far better off rare hunting in Tanaan IMO. My druid got three upgrades, two of which procced to iLVL 675, and another four unusable named blue items from rares last night. The things seem to be everywhere. Also, some of the chests can have the armor tokens in them.

I'm about halfway through the fel-touched pets & need about 3 more rares for Jungle Hunter.  If you run a barracks and use a bodyguard, do it.  I have Tormmok with me and he's helpful.  Plus, I can sell stuff to him, which helps out immensely.  Hit honored with Hand of the Prophet, dreading the Saberstalkers grind.

Haven't tried Kazzak (new world boss) yet.  Hoping the Master Plan add-on upgrades soon.  Shipyards are annoying.

Master Plan is now updated!

I'm still getting started. I hunted rares with my Druid last night, but the way this is structured, I'll probably just run it with my pally for a while, until she's done with it, and then maybe run the Druid some more for some gear. It doesn't seem like 6.2 has made this expac any more alt-friendly.

Champions Online is having double XP and Questonite until next Tuesday.

Edited to Add: It's Witchcraft handing out a double XP buff again. This one is for four hours at a time. So, even if you aren't actively playing, you can still log your characters in just to get the buff, and have some double XP to use later. (I still have a few lowbie characters with the last  Anniversary boost.)

I unlocked some more of the Tanaan Jungle stuff tonight. Zzzzz.... so much for those reps being from dailies making them more interesting. The dailies are pretty much just like the apexis dailies or the bonus objectives. IOW, go to area, kill stuff to make bar move, click stuff in the environment to make it move a little more.

I'm seriously doubting I'll use that WoW token when my current time runs out. I may just save it for when I'm desperately bored. I have CO Alerts for my mindless combat sim needs.

Every last bit of content is free. That's not too bad, really.

You're limited to archetypes, but some of those are decent. The selection's more than enough to get a taste of the game, but you'll want to grab one that's fairly durable your first time out, like the Unleashed, since the archetypes are designed with the holy trinity in mind. If you group, you'll want to be somewhat self sufficient in CO. (OTOH, soloing is fairly easy for the most part, so less need to worry about self sufficiency.)

The costume bits are limited, and there's a further (goofy & pointless) limitation that you have to get a character to like level 10 or so to unlock all of the free costume options. Still, there's enough stuff to make something, if you just want to try the game out.

There are inventory restrictions (only two bag slots), a currency limit (which was raised significantly recently), and a few other typical free to play restrictions, but nothing that prevents you from leveling up to the cap.

If those are things you simply can't live with, the time cards are usually super cheap on Amazon. They're currently 16 bucks for two months, for example.

That said, I'm not going to enthusiastically advocate for the game, either. It is what it is. It's a good start on a game, but once you've played through it a bit, you'll be bored unless you like leveling alts and just blowing stuff up. It's not quite in maintenance mode, but actual new content is slow in coming, and limited in scope. I'd have a heart attack if they put in a major feature or major chunk of content at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

I asume this thread is generally for MMO's. Recently one game entered it's "Open Beta" Phase:

Skyforge

Short factors:

- action combat MMO

- cross of sci-fi and fantasy

- classless/class switching always possible

- levelless/free XP. Kinda

- free to play/premium model

- russian developers, but english localised and subs for many langauges

- you start as an imortal. You can become a god

- most time limits appear to be time of use rather then time since aquisition

Action cobat MMO:

The combat style from consoles. Think Elder Scrolls Online or Neverwinter Online. Very limited number of abilities. Can be easiyl played with controler. Free targetting, but "locking" onto enemies is possible.

Setting:

Technologically advanced soceity with magic. Player starts as immortal and can eventually become a god. Guilds are called Pantheons.

Classes:

Out of combat you can always switch between classes.

You start with 3 basic classes - Cryomance, Lightbringer, Paladin - AoE DPS/CC, Support and Tank respectively. Class are roughly split into basic, intermediate and advanced (based on how hard to unlock they are)

There is no healer class. Enemies drop health orbs instead (bosses every 5th or 10th part of thier HP). Buffing is possible. There are DPS, Tank and support classes and each class has different foci (mobility, toghness, dot/burst/aoe dps). The resource systems for classes is very varried, with anything from buildup via action to recovers over time. At elast one (gunner) even combines both resource types.

Level & XP:

Rather then a level you have the "prestige" score. Wich is simply the sum of your gear and unlocked Skill Nodes.

XP comes in several types: Blue, Red and Green, Class specific, Evolution, Transform and Relicator Sparks.

There is the big ascesion atlass (general power; unlocking classes) and class specific atlanti (is that right??)

Blue, Red and Green XP are used for lower abilities in Class tree (up to "Path of..." node). They can be farmed specifically by picking the right missions at the right time to repeat.

Class XP unlocks the abilities for that one class after you reached the "Path of..." node. Wich means you have all basic skills of that class They are farmed just by playing with a class that is so far.

Evolution XP can be used instead of Class XP in any tree.

Transform XP is used to reset stuff and unlock new classes

Replicator Sparks are effectively "XP boosts".

Money:

There is a basic currency (Credits)

There is a premium currency (Argents) that can be exchanged for credits (both ways) or real money (only one way)

There are several types of tokens. Inlcudings ones you get when you reached your caps otherwise

• 2 weeks later...

Blizzard announced today that it will be announcing its next expansion next week at Gamescon:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19841681/new-world-of-warcraft-expansion-unveiling-at-gamescom-2015-live-stream-august-6-7-29-2015

Someone posted this graphic as a response.

I've been playing on my WoW tokens lately, and I'm going to keep that up. Unless they offer some really compelling pre-order deal, I'm very likely to wait and see on this one. They took $60 from me last time, didn't deliver a HUGE chunk of what they promised, lied outright about their plans for flying, and generally showed their asses in response to customer complaints about the situation. It'll be interesting to see if they attempt to redeem themselves with the next expansion.

For me, playing with tokens works. It's pretty easy to make enough gold to pay for them. Expansions, I can wait for Christmas or another holiday for, so I don't have to spend my own money on them. I'm pretty much done spending my own money on WoW at this point. I mostly log in to socialize with my guildies.