The Deadly Game - Care Package ideas needed

Ragitsu

Hello everyone!

I'm running a game set in the modern day where the PCs are participants on a game show with high stakes. Indeed, their very lives are on the line.

To help them out every now and again, the people in charge of the competition will send in bags chock full of supplies. Asides from the usual equipment (weapons/ammo, medical supplies, food/water, clothing, etc), what could be placed in them to add flavor and cover those little luxuries us lazy first-world citizens take for granted?

(Before you make mention of it, know that I did not see the first The Hunger Games film before I came up with this idea :winkgrin: .)

I've seen The Running Man, butttt that was some years ago. I actually haven't watched the Battle Royale movie nor read the novel and the manga.

ANYHOW, the PCs in our game are not actively attempting to off each other. Each character is simply heading to a finish line of sorts, and they may work together.

Well, there's letters from loved ones ... If the food is all basically MREs, some candy/chocolate might be very welcome.

What's the environment like?

It will vary. The first "zone" is woodland (starting with a forest...how very original, eh?).

Letters from loved ones are unlikely: one PC is a drifter, one PC is a bit of a wallflower, one didn't mention their family very much, and the last one left his family to wander the earth. Plus, I don't want to include something *that* unique. Then, there's the NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) everyone signed...

Without knowing the game show's feel, I'd say items that provide an artificial home field advantage, and small comfort/survival items.

So it the first category you have maps, gps or compass, observation instruments (binoculars, etc.), lightweight tools, and environmental gear. In the second are things like insoles, survival blankets, hand warmers, lip balm, and sunscreen.

It might be nice to include items that look like flavour / forgettable nothings (and might be discarded), but that come in useful later on, whether it's because the enviroment changes radically (eg. you get gloves and a scarf in a tropical jungle but need them in a snowstorm two days later) or because they contain more worth than is initially apparent (eg. a comic book contains vital clues to the coming obstacles).

Also, I guess - given that it's televised - anything that will make the paticipants more photogenic (make-up, shampoo, hairbrush). Of course, if the broadcasters/audience want them to suffer (and LOOK like they're suffering) they'll maybe deny them all these things unless specific goals are reached.

And never forget the delight of clean underwear after a few days without changing clothes.

And toothpaste.

It might be nice to include items that look like flavour / forgettable nothings (and might be discarded), but that come in useful later on, whether it's because the enviroment changes radically (eg. you get gloves and a scarf in a tropical jungle but need them in a snowstorm two days later) or because they contain more worth than is initially apparent (eg. a comic book contains vital clues to the coming obstacles).

hmm some ideas 

you could consider rewards for challenges or if its a time trial type event for coming first on a given stage. for example

the winner of the round could get a device that lets them a limited number of chances to see where the other contestants are.

a more accurate version of the map the other contestant gets in their pack

or a an extra clue towards a puzzle or obstacle

Well, there's letters from loved ones ...

Letters from loved ones are unlikely: one PC is a drifter, one PC is a bit of a wallflower, one didn't mention their family very much, and the last one left his family to wander the earth. Plus, I don't want to include something *that* unique. Then, there's the NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) everyone signed...

Then how about fan letters?  Requests for autographs (so the fan can cash in after the contestant gets killed) helpful advice (that really isn't) requests for the contestant to kill another contestant (he bet heavily on the other contestant's demise, and promises to split the winnings with the first contestant) and humble requests that if the contestant wins, could he please pay off the writer's credit card bill? 

Some of them can be sincere wishes for success, but most of them are intended to make it quite clear to the contestant that his--and the show's--fan base is full of idiots.

Hope that helps.

Then how about fan letters?  Requests for autographs (so the fan can cash in after the contestant gets killed) helpful advice (that really isn't) requests for the contestant to kill another contestant (he bet heavily on the other contestant's demise, and promises to split the winnings with the first contestant) and humble requests that if the contestant wins, could he please pay off the writer's credit card bill? 

Some of them can be sincere wishes for success, but most of them are intended to make it quite clear to the contestant that his--and the show's--fan base is full of idiots.

Hope that helps.

I hadn't considered integrating anything like this before. Thank you for bringing the idea to my attention!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...