Resistance Rules vs Monster Character Sheets?

taylorar

OK, so my group tackled the start of our MHI campaign this weekend via roll20.  It was pretty slow going as we are all new to the Hero system, but overall I think it was a lot of fun.  As part of their big encounter for the night, the group, playing as Trainees trying to earn acceptance into the MCB had to defeat a wight.  According to the character sheet in the book, Wights have Resistant (+1/2) for 10PD / 6ED, their Characteristics stats say they have 8 PD / 8 ED  (6rPD) / 6(rED), all told they've spent 20 points on their points.  I can't make heads or tails of this set up.

The Rules say it costs 3 character points for every 2 points of resistant defence.  for 10PD / 6ED, shouldn't they have paid 24 points for resistant defense?  Why is there a (+1/2) modifier on the Resistant?

In looking through other monster stats, I see that Resistant Protection is treated differently for each monster (or appears to be) and I can't figure out why!  It's driving me crazy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Taylor

There are two different things:

Resistant Protection

And the Resistant (+1/2) Advantage that is bought for PD/ED.

Both count as different powers for stuff like Drain/Aid,/Supress (PD/ED with Resistant is drain as PD/ED, not Resistant Protection).

Both count the same way when defending against anything else.

Now the resistant Advantage can also be bought as Naked/Independant Advantage to cover PD/ED comming from several Sources. Most often this happens if a power is not always on (Multiform or VPP build; Growth or Density Increase Powers).

You could end up with:

One PD/ED score at Chracteristics

One PD/ED score from Powers, that may not be always on

Resistant Protection

Resistant(+1/2) for specific amount of PD/ED (wich turns all of that in resistant PD/ED) or "PD/ED, Resistant(+1/2)"

So the Resistant advantage isn't in the MHI book.  Is that intentionall?  It seems like if all the monsters are getting it, it should be accessible to players as well.

It would propably fall under stuff that belongs in an Errata, but I find it more likely you overlooked it.

Have you checked the Index? All of the Rules for Characteristics in general?

I don't have the book to check it myself and give you a pagenumber, maybe someone else has.

It's not in the book and someone who does not have the book should not have told you "it probably is". 
The Resistant Advantage basically turns regular DEF (PD, ED, etc.) into Resistant Defense (rPD, rED, and so on).  I assume Steve left it out of MHI because he felt it was not needed.  Why he then went and built monsters with it is anyone's guess. 
Armor will basically always be built as Resistant Defenses, not as something that turns your pre-existing ED or PD Resistant.  Likewise for most magical protection (at least in MHI universe).  If you, for some reason, need a character to have entirely rDEF, just sell back their base 2 points of ED and PD and buy them all rPD and rED.  

I will issue a guess as to why Steve left out the Resistant Advantage.  If you add other Advantages like Hardened or Impenetrable to PD with the Resistant Advantage it gets weird because you have to pay for the new Advantage to cover both the PD and the Resistant Advantage.  It is a pain to explain and takes up room that is better used for other things in a book that needs to contain both the rules and a setting, and you can get the exact same mechanical effect using the Resistant Defense Power.

I will issue a guess as to why Steve left out the Resistant Advantage.  If you add other Advantages like Hardened or Impenetrable to PD with the Resistant Advantage it gets weird because you have to pay for the new Advantage to cover both the PD and the Resistant Advantage.  It is a pain to explain and takes up room that is better used for other things in a book that needs to contain both the rules and a setting, and you can get the exact same mechanical effect using the Resistant Defense Power.

Thanks for your feedback, but now you've caused me even more confusion.  Where are the Hardened or Impenetrable advantages in the book?

I'm feeling like this book was severely gimped in an effort to make us purchase the core rule book as well.

Thanks,

T

Thanks for your feedback, but now you've caused me even more confusion.  Where are the Hardened or Impenetrable advantages in the book?

I'm feeling like this book was severely gimped in an effort to make us purchase the core rule book as well.

Thanks,

T

The MHI book says it has everything you need to play, and it does.  The two Advantages I mentioned are not needed (and for new players I would recommend not using them even if they were included) to play the game.

To turn around and accuse the authors of intentionally making an inferior product to trick you into buying another is just rude.  You wouldn't even have known Hardened and Impenetrable was "missing" if I hadn't mentioned them.

​As to the Resistant Advantage not being included, it is considered by many to be redundant with the Resistant Defense Power.  It is mentioned briefly on page 207.  Basically it is a +1/2 Advantage that turns PD or ED into rPD or rED.  I think it was a poor choice to not include the Advantage and then use it in many of the builds, but it is not needed to build a character and a poor choice does not equal you being ripped off.

The MHI book says it has everything you need to play, and it does.  The two Advantages I mentioned are not needed (and for new players I would recommend not using them even if they were included) to play the game.

To turn around and accuse the authors of intentionally making an inferior product to trick you into buying another is just rude.  You wouldn't even have known Hardened and Impenetrable was "missing" if I hadn't mentioned them.

​As to the Resistant Advantage not being included, it is considered by many to be redundant with the Resistant Defense Power.  It is mentioned briefly on page 207.  Basically it is a +1/2 Advantage that turns PD or ED into rPD or rED.  I think it was a poor choice to not include the Advantage and then use it in many of the builds, but it is not needed to build a character and a poor choice does not equal you being ripped off.

Alright,  That's fair.  I spoke out of frustration at trying to figure everything out.

Thanks for the clarifications.

While we're at it, the Core Rules have a Power that allows for faster than light travel. I don't have Monster Hunter International (yet) but I'll bet it's not in there - because you don't need it for that kind of game. You'd need it if you need to build a starship or an interstellar superhero like Green Lantern, but not for a game that all takes place on one planet. What's not in Monster Hunter is not there because it wasn't deemed necessary.

I don't know that I agree that monsters should be restricted to only those same game elements player characters may have, but I do agree that they shouldn't be built with game elements that the players would have to go buy another book for - if only because it's confusing when someone tries to puzzle out how the monster was built and find they don't have all the pieces.

Lucius Alexander

Puzzling out how a palindromedary was built