How would you Build an EMP?

darkarus99

Hi fellow Hero users,

I have an energy blaster with electric based powers and after running into several guys in power armor am realizing that a way to take down their suits power would be very helpful in defeating them. My main question is would you recommend building the power as a drain or a dispel and what would you target so far all I have though of was a drain vs end with the goal of making it so the suit has no juice to run on. Or a massive dispel to make the suits pool no longer work (although that maybe too expensive...).

Any other thoughts are welcome.

Darkarus

As Per Champions Powers, 6th ed (btw, is it ok to copy & paste from the rule books?)

Electromagnetic Pulse

Effect: Dispel Electricity Powers 8d6

Target: One character or device

Duration: Instant

Range: 240m

END Cost: 12

Description: The character projects a pulse of electromagnetic energy that disrupts the flow of electricity. This allows the character to shut off electrical devices by frying their circuitry, and to temporarily diminish or de-activate electricity based superpowers.

Game Information: Dispel Electricity Powers 8d6, Expanded Effect + Variable Effect (all Electricity Powers simultaneously; +4). Total cost: 120 points.

Options:

1) Powerful Pulse: Increase to Dispel Electricity Powers 12d6. Total cost: 180 points.

2) Weaker Pulse: Decrease to Dispel Electricity Powers 6d6. Total cost: 90 points.

3) Unfocused Pulse: Add Area Of Effect (32m Radius; +1) and No Range (-½). 144 Active Points; total cost 96 points.

4) Variant Electromagnetic Pulse: Change to Drain Electricity Powers 3d6. Total cost: 150 points.

5) Electromagnetic Touch: The character has to touch a device or character to disrupt its electrical powers. Add No Range (-½). Total cost: 80 points.

Although I also like the idea of a Drain with Delayed Return Rate.

​edit: The thing about Dispel, as i understand, is that characters can 're-start' those powers... so a Drain in this case would be the way to go, especially with enough Delayed Return Rate to take them out of the fight.

Depends a bit how the Power Armor is build.

If it has a Complication like Succeptibility (Strong Magnetic Fields) or a Limitation like "Not in Strong Magnetic Fields" you could trigger it with a Change Environment.

A realistic EMP is closer to a HKA, NND, Does Body, then what you see in the Source Material. (It literally fries electronic)

Another approach is to make a powerfull STUN-only attack. But it only stuns the Technological Part of the Hero.

The very classic approach would propably be a Drain, Supress or Dispel.

Dispel does not affect the reactivation of the Power at all, it only disrupts running powers.

Drain and Supress.with Expanded Effect might be a idea.

With Adjustment Powers you also have to keep in mind that it will not affect all power armor powers. Iron Man without energy still has a lot of resistant Defenses.