Cold War Era Kingdom Game?

Jkeown

I'm always coming up with game ideas, most of them go nowhere, but I had a weird one this morning that I thought I'd share. 

HERO System Kingdom rules. Each "Kingdom" is a Directorate in a Soviet-style government on a fictional recent-past (c.1956) Earthlike world. Each player is a Director of one of these Directorates.  Directors almost always rise to the position of Supreme Director of the Red Star Republic (Soviet Union, right?). Very few Supreme Directors were military heroes or the like.

Opposing the Red Star Republic is the People's Democratic Alliance (China) and Federated States of Placida (America).  The GM plays the PDA and the FSP (and all of their little satellite nations).  There are also a number of smaller power blocs who may or may not get involved. You also have to consider the actions of the Global Coalition - a union of nations who get together to avoid more World Wars like the first three that were so devastating.

What do players do? They direct. They order their apparatchiks to undertake various tasks, issue orders and...sometimes... meet in cold dark alleys with questionable persons to get things done covertly.

Phases are 3 months long, but once a year (or more often) the action becomes personal (you might have to shoot someone, or hand them something, and that doesn't take 3 months).

I have a plotline in my head, and some great character ideas for NPCs. 

So far, the Directorships up for grabs are these:

Communications - Oversees Media, Internal intelligence activities
Intelligence - Spying. External Intelligence
Agriculture - Feeding people and researching new means of food production
Red Star Military - Guns, tanks and planes
Research and Development - Science!
Other Directorships are probably available. Players can invent new ones and I'll decide whether they get used.

There are a number of interesting talents I've thought up, and clever maneuvers characters can use in their attempt to rise to the top of the Red Star.  There are other outcomes that I'm preparing for.

Names are in Russian, of course. My plan is for a 4 week run between 2600CE and Pathfinder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a somewhat less abstracted version of Kremlin. Which can be a real hoot.

Kremlin has a mechanic called (IIRC) "denunciation" which can be roleplayed. Hence the exchange at the gaming table:

me: {lengthy diatribe omitted for brevity} ... And to top all this off, HIS SISTER SODOMIZES REPTILES!

player whose puppet was being denounced, in small voice: They were small reptiles.

me: THE WORST KIND!!