Dispel Vs Drained Characteristics/Powers

ccastan

Question

I found a previous forum question on this which basically quoted 6E1 194.  What is throwing me off in the rule is the sentence "As soon as the Characteristic or power regains enough points so that its current Active Point total exceeds the Dispel’s effect, the Characteristic or power returns to the character (at its current, Adjusted but partly recovered level)."  Particularly, the "at its current, Adjusted but partly recovered level part.  Can you explain, by way of example, what happens if Hero x's STR 40 is drained down to 20 and my Dispel roll is 30?

1 answer to this question

I'm willing to give it a shot. ;)

First off I should note the the rule on 6E1 194 may be misleading in that it refers to Characteristics. However, as noted on the previous page, characters cannot use Dispel on Characteristics. So for my example I'll use Blast.

HeroMan has Blast 8d6. The dastardly Ruinator uses a Drain Blast, rolls a 20, and thus reduces HeroMan's Blast to 4d6.

Then the insidious Psiclone hits him with a Dispel Blast 10d6 and rolls a 30. Ordinarily this wouldn't be enough to Dispel the Blast 8d6 (which has 40 Active Points), but due to the Drain the Blast now has "20 Active Points" for these purposes.

Since the Dispel had 30 points of effect, once the points regained from the Drain make the Blast have more than 30 "Active Points," HeroMan gets the use of his Blast back (though he's still affected by the remaining Drained points). So once 3 Turns have passed (and he gains 5, 10, and finally 15 Drained points back), the Dispel ceases to affect him and he can use his Blast at 35 points' worth of effect (or 7d6).