The Flash

Greywind

• 1 month later...

Cross posted to other Arrowverse threads.

The CW needs to fight superhero fatigue: The blueprint for 2017-18

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/the-cw-needs-to-fight-superhero-fatigue-the-blueprint-for-2017-18/

Bottom line: Supergirl is steady, but other Arrowverse shows are down in ratings, Legends 20%, Flash 21%, & Arrow 31%. 

CW has 10 hours per week, 40% total to the 4 Arrowverse shows. 

Click the link for info on other shows.

Cross posted to other Arrowverse threads.

The CW needs to fight superhero fatigue: The blueprint for 2017-18

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/the-cw-needs-to-fight-superhero-fatigue-the-blueprint-for-2017-18/

Bottom line: Supergirl is steady, but other Arrowverse shows are down in ratings, Legends 20%, Flash 21%, & Arrow 31%. 

CW has 10 hours per week, 40% total to the 4 Arrowverse shows. 

Click the link for info on other shows.

Arrow killed off Katie Cassidy, and recruited a group of heroes you'd find in a discount box of 1980s comics.  It also has a overlong overwrought guilt trip.

Flash has yet another evil speedster to deal with who has a mysterious identity.  Been there done that.

I like Legends, but then again I didn't think Batman and Robin was that bad.  It was bad, but not horrible.

Flash has yet another evil speedster to deal with who has a mysterious identity.  Been there done that.

And time travel is being done to death. My wife became a fan of the show shortly after I did in season 1. We are both feeling the fatigue right now. She's gone so far as to say if they don't end this season well, she'll simply refuse to watch season 4. 

I'm tending to agree with her.

I believe this exemplifies the lack of creativity in Hollywood (rumor in the link below says S4 won't be a speedster). Since Flash is a speedster, all his seasonal big bads have to be speedsters. That's like saying all Iron Man villains have to wear suits. No! It doesn't have to be like against like. Let the  juices flow and show us Barry vs. Gideon the supercomputer for a season or Barry vs... oh goody somebody has already thought this out.

I've recently rewatched season 1, and the number of times Barry says "how fast do I have to run to do...?" is nauseating.

I hope Grodd gets loose and really starts putting his vaunted cunning and his vast telepathy to methodical use. If there was ever a villain suited to becoming a behind-the-scenes mastermind, it's Grodd. He could easily build a whole organization to bedevil the Flash for an entire season, in ways just getting faster can't solve.

I'd love it if Team Flash go to Grodd's cell because they need to ask him something, only to discover the Grodd they've been monitoring there for months is just an hallucination he left in their minds.

Grodd is surprisingly well done and holds his own every time he shows up ... but he's appeared several times now and been defeated every time.  I think a large portion of the audience (who only watch the show) might feel dissappointed if Grodd was used, even secretly, as the season villain.  "Alright, we finally get to see who's in control of the bad guys! Oh... it's the monkey. Again."

Grodd is surprisingly well done and holds his own every time he shows up ... but he's appeared several times now and been defeated every time.  I think a large portion of the audience (who only watch the show) might feel dissappointed if Grodd was used, even secretly, as the season villain.  "Alright, we finally get to see who's in control of the bad guys! Oh... it's the monkey. Again."

"Oook!"

The Netflix shows have several advantages over the network ones - the biggest of which is probably 13 episodes a year.  Both Agents and Flash could definitely do with tighter story-lines and 13 episodes a year would do that.

Even at 13 episodes, though, all four series have stumbled - it's just the over all quality is good enough to mask it. Live actions superhero shows are just hard to do, it seems.

Yeah, I'm definitely feeling superhero fatigue too. I dropped Legends last season, and am only sticking with Arrow & Flash to finish out the seasons. I've seen enough of Ollie brooding and Barry beating himself up for not being perfect. It doesn't help that the CW shows, even when at their mostest funnest, aren't exactly the best writing on TV. Especially with shows like Jessica Jones & Legion. (Even the much-maligned Iron Fist was still better-written than most Arrow episodes.)

I believe this exemplifies the lack of creativity in Hollywood (rumor in the link below says S4 won't be a speedster). Since Flash is a speedster, all his seasonal big bads have to be speedsters.

Same reason why Ollie seems to spend an inordinate amount of time fighting masked archers. And Supergirl is practically all aliens at this point.

Tho with Flash the problem is even deeper I think. We were talking about this on one of the Tournament Of Heroes threads. Once you have established that your hero can run so fast that everyone else is effectively frozen in time, then he should have no problems facing anyone other than another speedster. (Or arguably a mentalist, depending on how you envision mental powers working.) Every time a non-speedster manages to even hit Flash, it further strains the suspension of disbelief. So...more evil speedsters!

And yes, I'm fully aware that the comics are no more consistent in handling this problem than the CW shows. It's one of the reasons I never really cared for the Flash. But the freeze-frame-panel nature of comics makes it less obvious there than in live-action.

It's one of the reasons that made Captain Cold such a great villain for Flash. Not only was he smart and a planner, but his weapon was perfect to fight Flash. As he has explained, it's not really a cold gun, but a weapon that slows down molecules (ie makes things slower) and he knows Flash is that fast, so rather then try to hit him with it, a lot of times in the comics he bathes the whole area in this effect, bringing Flash down to a workable speed, then hits him with it.

he knows Flash is that fast, so rather then try to hit him with it, a lot of times in the comics he bathes the whole area in this effect, bringing Flash down to a workable speed, then hits him with it.

And, because its under the writer's control rather than Champions, the Flash stands around and lets him even though he could trot over, disassemble the gun, rebuild it into a popcorn machine, then go back and wait for the fun before Cap even pulls the trigger.

I'm guessing Savatar is going to turn out to be a future version of Wally.

I've been thinking along those lines too. But

given Caitlin's reaction when she saw who was under the armor, I almost wonder if it's not Ronnie? And I still haven't ruled out Julian, given how the writers like to mess with Caitlin's love interests.

You might not have noticed because the writers were subtle as serpents with this, but Barry and team were attempting to change the future earlier in the season, you know, all the talk about headlines. Well, Barry had a definite way to change the future this week, and ran right past it.

I don't know if future Barry (from Once and Future Flash) really knew who Savatar was and lied to his past self or not. I do know that Julian, HR, Cisco, and Joe did not know. I don't know that any of the four could have lied to Barry (especially not HR), but certainly not all of them could have kept it a secret. To change the future for sure, all Barry had to do was assemble the team and tell them "I know who Savatar is." Heck, he was sitting near Joe, Iris, and Wally when he figured it out.

Tell them, and the time line bifurcates right then.

If Barry in 2024 didn't know who Savitar is, Savitar himself is changing the future right now by confirming Barry's suspicions. This whole knowledge-of-the-future shtick is woefully irregular. Sometimes Savitar seems to know precisely what's going to happen (has already happened), like in this episode; other times he appears taken by surprise, as when Jessie Quick stabbed him. It looks like the writers are making a lot of this stuff up as they go along, and driving around the plot holes hoping no one notices.

If Barry in 2024 didn't know who Savitar is, Savitar himself is changing the future right now by confirming Barry's suspicions. This whole knowledge-of-the-future shtick is woefully irregular. Sometimes Savitar seems to know precisely what's going to happen (has already happened), like in this episode; other times he appears taken by surprise, as when Jessie Quick stabbed him. It looks like the writers are making a lot of this stuff up as they go along, and driving around the plot holes hoping no one notices.

True. Unless Barry 2024 lied, they are in uncharted waters, and Savitar knows it. I'd rather Savitar be a doppleganger from Earth-X but I doubt they go that way.

I've been wondering when Barry '24 becomes Savitar. Savitar had scars or something on his face that '24 did not but still looks similar to '24 (whom I have been calling Emo Barry) as if he's only a few years older. I took from Jay earlier in the season that Savitar had been around for years, but time travel can render that moot (if the writers even remember it).

There was also the point in '24 when Barry gave '17 the info on the doctor. Everything from the info (and the Team in 24) indicates they didn't use her back in '17. B'24 bifurcated the timeline then. BUT Savitar knew exactly where the doc would be and that Barry would be present when Killer Frost arrived. He knew about Vibe being in the rafters and everything B'17 would say.

To quote Geordi La Forge, "this is why time travel gives me nose bleeds."

Though since the writers and editors at least twice messed up their math in Future Flash by saying 2024 was 8 years after 2017, I cut them no slack whatsoever.