The Flash

Greywind

One thing that struck me was near the end, Barry phases into the armor, shoving faux-Barry out. I thought the armor was made to avoid things like that specifically.

I did like that Cisco rigged the gun, but i wasn't a surprise to me, how could Faux-Barry have easily fallen for it.

Because he is still Barry and thus not very bright?

Normally, I automatically sign on for the continuing seasons of a show. When I say Flash earned my standard five episode provisional status, that is a bad thing. It means that I question whether or not I can continue watching and the first few episodes of the next season better wow me. Otherwise, I get an extra hour each week. The hours I've saved from Agents of Shield, Legends of Tomorrow, Blacklist, and Blindspot have sure been nice.

Arrow has, coincidentally enough, also earned that same provisional status. Once my favorite show on TV, I sort of vomited in my mouth at the season finale. If I care enough to find the Arrow thread, I might even summon up the reasons why. Nah. I got better things to focus on.

Oddly enough for me, Legends season 2 was the best of the CW shows this year.

Me three. Well, what I saw of it, anyhow. Which was only the last two or three episodes. (But I've read a number of things online that suggest that S2 was far better than a very rocky S1 for Legends.)

Worse, as far as prospects for future CW superhero shows on my tv go, is Supergirl. I watched...half of the season finale. And today I tried to watch the rest, but after a minute or two, I just deleted it unwatched. I. Just. Can't. Bring. Myself. To. Care. Too many flavors of stupid combined to create an unpalatable mess.

I've complained before in the Supergirl thread about how virtually every villain can give Kara a real fight, when that should very rarely be the case. That was part of it. Terry Hatcher shouldn't have a chance against her.

Words cannot express how much I detest Mon-El and the whole Mon-El/Kara "romance". (Not to get all SJW about this--since mostly I find those people annoying as hell--but they spent the whole first season showing Kara pining after James, only to dump that plot immediately so she could have a romance with the white dudebro space frat boy? Seriously?)

If we're gonna be subjected to romance (and this is the CW, so that's a big "definitely") I'd much rather watch Alex and Detective Girlfriend (I can't remember anyone's names tonight)

Or Kara and Lena. (I know they're never gonna go there, any more than Supernatural is ever gonna fess up to Dean/Castiel, but the less screen time Space Fratboy gets, the better.)

Plus, the "contaminate earth's atmosphere with lead" to drive away the aliens? Uh, okay, humans don't have an instantly-lethal allergic reaction to lead...but it's still bad for us, okay? Not a great plan.

So, I guess...the Flash finale, bad as it was, wasn't THAT bad. I did watch it all the way thru, in bits and pieces. I couldn't sit thru the Supergirl finale.

We do not have cable and have not for about 8 years, specifically so that we don't find a lot of shows to fill our time with. Flash was the only show that I had a set time to stream (Wed night after church) when I let only actual emergencies interfere. 

As this season wore on, I became less and less thrilled. Every character had the chance to carry the idiot ball and most episodes had them fighting for it. So may plot holes, so little time. Nolgroth has his 5 episode probation beginning next season. For me, it entered probation a couple of episodes from the end of this season. I had high hopes no that's too strong a term. I fervently wished they would bring it all together and wow me (be the geniuses the writers think they are when you listen to them on the special features).

They did not. The episode had moments when I really thought they were going to make it happen. Then the ending came. And at this point in time, I just can't care enough to give season 4 a chance. Even as they swear the next villain won't be a speedster, a wish I've had since the end of season 1, I can't care anymore. Will I care enough in the fall? Maybe.

But as we say on earth, c'est la vie.

For me I watched Flash Season 1 over a 4-day weekend in anticipation of season 2. That didn't wow me as Season 1 did, so decided to not watch season 3. I ended up watching season week having been bought back to the Arrowverse due to an early Legends episode. Like Season 2, this season didn't wow me.

I've come to the conclusion, I enjoy Arrowverse more when binge watching it. I'm still undecided if I'll just watch the crossover episodes or the entire season.

My recorder burped and didn't record one of the Flash episodes about two or three back. In the old days, I would have subjected myself to the terrible CW player to see it, but I found that it just wasn't that important to me. I've got about 4 episodes of Arrow on the recorder box, and I just don't have any real desire to play them.

Part of it is that my television viewing habits have changed greatly over the last few years. I canceled my cable TV subscription a few years ago, and moved pretty much exclusively to streaming through Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu. I'm finding that I can't tolerate the padding that weekly broadcast series add, and I certainly favor being able to watch the next episode right away*. Heck, the last episode of Flash really should have been about 10 minutes long (minus all of the padding), and attached to the previous week's episode. If it were a Netflix series, it would have been.

It's really what was so bad about Legends of Tomorrow season 1. There was enough stuff for maybe 6 episodes, but they stretched it out to 16.

I would definitely endorse cutting the crap out of the CW shows. I like(d?) them well enough, but there is way too much filler. I would rather see more shows rotated through the lineup so that the few episodes could (maybe) tell a more concise story. My current favorite is about 12 episodes, give or take one. Daredevil seems to be able to intertwine at least two major plots and a few subplots in those 12, hour-long episodes. Those stories were better than the CW ones.

Point of interest; rewind a year and my take was the exact opposite. :D

Would be interesting if CW had the guts to do, maybe twice a week, an Arrowverse (for lack of a better name), hour, sort of like the late 60s/early 70s when they would alternate shows through the same time period giving them longer to do each episode.

I thought the season finale was decent. Until the last 5 minutes, which were just painful to watch. As much as I enjoyed this show when it first started, honestly I can't remember the last time I got excited looking forward to next week's episode. Ditto for Arrow. (Legends I never enjoyed in the first place...) Supergirl is the only CW show I'm really enjoying at this point, so I think I'm going to have a couple free hours a week next year.

IMO a lot of the appeal of Legends this past season was due to Matt Letscher as Eobard Thawne. Whether on that show or the Flash's Letscher gave us a brilliant, ruthless, deliciously arrogant villain who was also very human, displaying a lot of emotional range. Whatever else was going on his Reverse Flash always entertained me. And because of the buildup his ultimate demise was very satisfying.

(Which brings up another issue I found annoying in the Flash season finale -- the nerfing of Black Flash.) :tonguewav

IMO a lot of the appeal of Legends this past season was due to Matt Letscher as Eobard Thawne. Whether on that show or the Flash's Letscher gave us a brilliant, ruthless, deliciously arrogant villain who was also very human, displaying a lot of emotional range. Whatever else was going on his Reverse Flash always entertained me. And because of the buildup his ultimate demise was very satisfying.

(Which brings up another issue I found annoying in the Flash season finale -- the nerfing of Black Flash.) :tonguewav

Different strokes, I guess. I never found Thrawne all that interesting. On the other hand, I could watch Damien Dhark chew the scenery all day. I love that guy.