The Flash

Greywind

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, Barry.  By breaking someone out of prison on camera you've earned a legitimate 2-10 year sentence.

(Mind you I guess that pales in comparison to all the breaking an entering, assault, destruction of private and public property, kidnapping, and unlawful imprisonment charges Team Flash should have accumulated over the years ...but it still feels different than the standard 'Batman should have a rap sheet longer than some of his rogues' legal suspension of disbelief you need to enjoy superhero comics, shows, and movies at all)

Well, if the Thinker's plan was to frame Barry for a crime he didn't commit knowing that eventually he'd actually commit a crime in jail.... mission accomplished?

Question, is there any reason to continue to watch The Flash?

#1 The show has established a Future Barry (FB). All Present Barry (PB) needs to do to defeat any supervillain is to go to the future, ask FB how it was done, go back to the present and do it.

Thus a paradox, as both FB and PB haven't figured out the problem, and FB only knows about because PB did it, which hasn't happened...yet. 

But the show can easily counter this by saying FB doesn't remember, or give instruction so complex that Cisco & Caitlin can't figure it out; which also gives rise to a paradox as if Team Flash can't do it, did it really happen, ergo FB know about it?

#2 And to counter this, Present Barry starts a handwritten diary of all the heroics and events of The Flash & Team Flash. Then PB travels to FB, grabs a copy of the diary, and then he would have all future events as recorded in the diary and can set preplanned outcomes thus changing the future, and keeping Central City safe. In other words, the diaries act as a prophecy/seer. 

So any reason Barry can't do this? Out think, & out play any & every supervillain he will encounter in the future? Any reason to keep watching? 

Pretty much what PG said...

If he goes to his future self for advice on how he defeated some guy, then he does it early... then his future self may be shut off into another time line, and thus in this new time line barry never could go to the future to ask that future self because that future self that won doesn't exist, instead it's a lazy ass future self and eventually splinter crack pop and you get cat girl invasions 

This season's silliness has gone plaid.  I was excited for the Thinker, in a way - with hopes of him maybe forming a kind of reverse Team Flash with himself in Wells role.

Nope.

Let's see how this all plays out but...

I am incredibly annoyed at the 'resolution' of the Barry in Jail ridiculousness.  It's not ok for him to use his powers to escape but it's ok to use Ralph's last second shape changing power to walk?  I  thought he wanted to prove his innocence?  Wasn't that the point?  This was not that.  This broke about a dozen laws.[/spoiler]

Can we at least get a 'Castle' style Sue and Ralph Dibney investigations spin off?  

3 hours ago, DasBroot said:

Hide contents

I am incredibly annoyed at the 'resolution' of the Barry in Jail ridiculousness.  It's not ok for him to use his powers to escape but it's ok to use Ralph's last second shape changing power to walk?  I  thought he wanted to prove his innocence?  Wasn't that the point?  This was not that.  This broke about a dozen laws.[/spoiler]

Can we at least get a 'Castle' style Sue and Ralph Dibney investigations spin off?  

they are just telling the Judge the truth in a format he'll accept

1 hour ago, dmjalund said:

they are just telling the Judge the truth in a format he'll accept

And it could so easily have been derailed.

Mrs. DeVoe: "Judge, that man is an imposter! My husband is buried in XX Cemetary. I don't know who that is, but he's lying! Test his DNA! Let me ask him questions about our life together!"

So, apparently Barry is a legal formalist. Yeah, the judge released him (though of course it isn't that quick or easy), but it was based on fraudulent testimony by an imposter. But hey! Legal!

Also...how dumb are those metahuman crooks? Look, it's Barry Allen, recently incarcerated former Central City CSI tech and metahuman. A speedster, no less! And NONE of them came to the conclusion that he was the Flash?

Really, the fact that his 'widow' - who was largely responsible for the incarceration in the first place due to her tearful performance about how dangerous Barry was - didn't instantly break down in relief (or at least call out his name happily and rush to him) - wasn't suspicious?

And will Ralph compound things by actually 'co-operating' with the police to try and piece together his 'absence'? Or will it be the case that after Barry walked his victim - mysteriously back from the dead - was suddenly just as mysteriously never seen again? 

If this is all they need to do from the beginning they could have used HR's image device from last season at any point (or did they bury it with him out of respect? That would be a little shortsighted. More likely in a case like the Flash's helmet.)

It's not a legal drama.  I get that.  Still.... I don't think it's unreasonable to 'try' and put together a plausible conviction and a plausible release if you decide to make that a chunk of your season.

I liked the breakout, though (until the end).  Most of the convicts managed to be more interesting crammed into half an episode than when they were the focus of one.

18 hours ago, DasBroot said:

This season's silliness has gone plaid.  I was excited for the Thinker, in a way - with hopes of him maybe forming a kind of reverse Team Flash with himself in Wells role.

Nope.

Let's see how this all plays out but...

Hide contents

This is the difference between Marvel and DC.  If this was a Marvel show we'd still be watching he trial.  In DC shows there is a problem, the hero falls over, and then the problem is solved by another character.

On 05/02/2018 at 1:09 AM, DasBroot said:

Congratulations, Barry.  By breaking someone out of prison on camera you've earned a legitimate 2-10 year sentence.

For a moment, I was thinking: "what did I do?", then realised it was myself from an alternate Earth. 

• 3 weeks later...

The silly thing about the jail time is not the courtroom shenanigans but the fact he was caught by police coming up the stairs to his apartment. 

That should have been plenty of time for post-speedforce Barry to move the body, clean the floors, remove any evidence and still be found watching TV when the police bust his door down.