The Flash

Greywind

My main problem with the episode is that they apparently forgot that The Flash has superspeed. He could have zipped in and out to determine where Wells was and gotten out before anyone noticed. This method would have also avoided the trap. And...why didn't Grodd just mind control Cisco immediately after Solivar was out of the picture? And...do all the apes have mental powers in the comics? I don't seem to remember that being the case. Overall, still fun because...well....Grodd.

I liked the aesthetic.  They're furred so pants would just get in the way of their insane leaps - the fur itself is close enough to pants for me.

My main problem with the episode is that they apparently forgot that The Flash has superspeed. He could have zipped in and out to determine where Wells was and gotten out before anyone noticed. This method would have also avoided the trap. And...why didn't Grodd just mind control Cisco immediately after Solivar was out of the picture? And...do all the apes have mental powers in the comics? I don't seem to remember that being the case. Overall, still fun because...well....Grodd.

That could easily be "My main problem with the series is that they apparently forget that The Flash has superspeed." 

Seriously. It's like all his levels of DCV were bought with "vs Killing Attacks only".  If it's not depicted as being 'lethal' (like bullets, arrows, razor boomerangs, some lasers) he's getting tagged by it.

As for the mind control - well, mind control always makes plot holes. If he had access to Gypsy that should have been plan A, not plan C - and if he only gained access to Gypsy because they captured her because she investigated Cisco opening the portal then that's not thinking ahead - that's a Xanatos Gambit: pure coincidence that gets framed in the narrative after the fact as part of the plan.

They also don't emote properly - it's a lot more effective to reach the audience by having their series regulars act savage under the mind control of the apes to get the emotion and body language across.  Audiences are much better at reading people than animals no matter how much CGI budget you spend on them.

I liked the aesthetic.  They're furred so pants would just get in the way of their insane leaps - the fur itself is close enough to pants for me.

I don't see it as an issue of aesthetics. It just seems rather silly to wear armor on only half your body, leaving the rest exposed and vulnerable. To me it makes them look foolish.

That could easily be "My main problem with the series is that they apparently forget that The Flash has superspeed." 

Seriously. It's like all his levels of DCV were bought with "vs Killing Attacks only".  If it's not depicted as being 'lethal' (like bullets, arrows, razor boomerangs, some lasers) he's getting tagged by it.

My head cannon on this that the Flash travels in a speed force bubble.  This is why he can dodge bullets but still gets tagged in HTH.  When he gets in punching range of his opponents, they enter his bubble and are brought up to his speed.  This is also why he can grab while he is running at super speed and not snap there bodies like twigs.

I don't see it as an issue of aesthetics. It just seems rather silly to wear armor on only half your body, leaving the rest exposed and vulnerable. To me it makes them look foolish.

Makes them look historically accurate to me. People have worn only head and chest armor for thousands of years to improve mobility while protecting only their vitals.

Fun episode, tho I can't disagree with the frustrating bits described above. And Grodd's ruse was awfully transparent even by CW standards, but oh well. I did like the Gorilla King punching the ground to knock Flash down with a AOE shockwave - that was classic anti-speedster tactics.

I don't mind Julian aka "Indiana" but I won't miss him after he's inevitably killed in the season finale to give poor Caitlin someone else to mourn.

I did like the Gorilla King punching the ground to knock Flash down with a AOE shockwave - that was classic anti-speedster tactics.

Yeah, although from the Flash's perspective it was a matter of jump rope, so shouldn't have been a problem to avoid.  Its really hard to write a speedster well.

Yeah, although from the Flash's perspective it was a matter of jump rope, so shouldn't have been a problem to avoid.  Its really hard to write a speedster well.

Not really.  Give 'em a SPD of 7 or 8.  Plenty of running, probably in a Multipower with Flight only along surfaces, etc.  Another Multipower for all those fancy speedster tricks; there's a ton of 'em in the Ultimate Speedster and Champions Powers books, so you don't really have to sweat coming up with those Powers.  The toughest part is making the character different from other speedsters.

Oh, you mean writing one well for TV.  [Emily Litella]  Never mind!  [/Emily Litella]

Wow. For an alleged super-intelligent gorilla and master strategist, Grodd is mind-numbingly stupid.

If he hadn't sent Vibe-ette (I forget her name) after our heroes, they wouldn't have had a clue he was around.

If, having blown his surprise, he hadn't taken his own sweet time rolling out his lame plan, they wouldn't have had time to respond.

If, if, if.

Here's a thought. When your mind-controlled foster father points a gun at his head under telepathic control, snatch the gun away BEFORE he pulls the trigger.

The Gorilla City arc was a bit disappointing. Not as good as the first Grodd arc. The actors all talking like Grodd while mind controlled was the best bit for me.

Also, Gorilla City was a letdown. CGI just sucked, total lack of details. And although I understand that the origin story is different for the show, I was hoping for more of a high tech city. Probably ran into CGI budget issues there.

I have to say that Iris and Harry Wells urging Barry to find a better way than killing Grodd -- because his sense of moral responsibility is what makes him a hero -- was to me a refreshing change from the ruthlessness of recent "superhero" movies. I know such a stand is not fashionable now, and reasonable people can make reasonable  arguments why killing is sometimes necessary... but those speeches echoed the comics I grew up with, when superheroes represented ideals to strive for.

The Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, and D.C.'s Legends of Tomorrow have accomplished one thing.  They have managed to take characters from the worst period of the Justice League comics in the 20th Century and made them entertaining.