The Flash

Greywind

They've already said time travel.

Who has said that? I've been trying to keep myself away from potential spoilers and just stick to the show.

The wife did say something this morning that she would be okay with time travel but not a predestination paradox (he goes back to kill her because he has already done so). She finds alternate realities confusing (don't we all).

Who has said that? I've been trying to keep myself away from potential spoilers and just stick to the show.

The wife did say something this morning that she would be okay with time travel but not a predestination paradox (he goes back to kill her because he has already done so). She finds alternate realities confusing (don't we all).

Time travel is heavily implied, usually with scenes involving Dr. Wells knowing about future events. Wells apparently isn't a character from the comic books, and could be a candidate for Professor Zoom/Reverse-Flash (Eobard Thawne), though Detective West's partner/Iris's boyfriend shares a similar name to that character.

The Flash going back in time and saving his mother is part of the Flashpoint storyline from the comics and a DC animation adaptation. I doubt that they'll pursue that in the live series, however, due to complications with using other characters that seem reserved for movies.

Time travel is heavily implied, usually with scenes involving Dr. Wells knowing about future events. Wells apparently isn't a character from the comic books, and could be a candidate for Professor Zoom/Reverse-Flash (Eobard Thawne), though Detective West's partner/Iris's boyfriend shares a similar name to that character.

The Flash going back in time and saving his mother is part of the Flashpoint storyline from the comics and a DC animation adaptation. I doubt that they'll pursue that in the live series, however, due to complications with using other characters that seem reserved for movies.

I've been thinking Dr. Wells would become Reverse Flash since the second episode, but I haven't trusted Dr. Wells since the end of the first episode. I've also toyed with that being a red herring as Dr. Wells turning out to be the villain seems way too obvious. He clearly has something to hide, but he's also methodical and seeks to protect Barry. Then I considered that him being too obvious makes me discount him as the villain. A classic case of misdirection.

I never read Flash comics, so I know little about his enemies, especially their real names. I knew of Capt. Cold, Grodd, and Reverse Flash/Professor Zoom, but I can't think of any others. I also hadn't connected Eddie to Eobard. There's some drama, conflict, tension there with Eddie.

At some point, I'll give up trying to figure out whos who ahead of time and just enjoy the show as it unfolds. Yeah, right!

I like Grant Gustin. I like Jesse Martin. I like Tom Cavanaugh as Wells. I really want to like this show, but I forgot that this is the Flash after all, which means it is inevitably going to involve the one sci-fi trope I can't stand: time travel. I have a sneaking suspicion I will be opting out of this show before the first season finalé episode. *sigh*

In all seriousness, I can't speak for him, but personally I enjoy the idea of time travel, but get irritated when either (1) it's handled so simplistically that the simplest paradox blows the whole thing apart, or (2) it's handled in so complex a manner that you need a degree in quantum physics to understand, and so they suck all the fun out of it.  However, I also realize that some viewers will want all the details explained.  (As if TV show scriptwriters have degrees in quantum physics.)

Really, if you over-analyze it, most sci-fi time travelers come off as rather major jerks. 

back_to_the_future.jpg

The biggest problem with time travel stories is that 99% of television writers don't know how to use the notion in a way that isn't so rife with illogic, internal inconsistency, and handwavium, that it melts my brain. The intrinsic problems of causality can not simply be swept under the dramatic rug; that is just lazy, inept writing. Yet that is pretty much all we ever get on television.

Movies are a little better...sometimes. Books are even better, so long as the writer has a reasonable understanding of the narrative problems involved and makes an effort to minimize their negative impact on the foundational logic of the story's milieu. But in general, the farther away writers stay from it, the better.

Power Outage was a lot of fun. Seeing how cocky Barry got with his powers before made the loss even better. A depowered Flash isn't new to most comic readers, but this was well handled. A nice twist was the villain on villain fight that resulted from it

And it solved the whole 'a bad guy knows my identity' problem while showing Barry looks out even for his old bully, or tries to.

. Geeze, Wells is one sinister mo'fo and they show it well.

Anyone who complains about love interests who are utterly helpless and hopeless should probably love Iris in this, but she had help from Eddie and her dad too.

And Clock King fans should be pleased to see the large part he played in this.

We had our own Urban Thursday last night at home. We streamed both parts of Arrow Vs. Flash.

We had ours recorded and did a back to back. I thought the differences between the characters, their settings, and styles were nicely portrayed and touched upon. Both had their strengths and flaws displayed, and some of the interaction was really telling

"Barry, you live in Central City, where it's sunny all the time..."

It was classic Dark Champion chats with more 4 color hero time, and both had their points.

I particularly liked how Barry told Oliver that he could indeed inspire.

When did he do that?

You know what, I heard it wrong (twice...I rewound it on my DVR to verify, but apparently I misheard it twice). When Wells referred to "that man," I heard "Batman".

"What that man does is carry out a dark reckoning for his city..."

If you put Batman in place if "that man" it maintains identical grammatic syntax. Of course, "that man," referring to the Arrow, makes more sense contextually, but the fan in me couldn't help but think he heard something more interesting.

I'm enjoying both shows (and Agents of Shield). I'm hoping Agent Carter is watchable as well. Arrow is more my speed, but the Flash is a fun show and well done. It started strong, like Arrow, and hasn't done a lot of wobbling to find itself. I'm just more into "street level heroes" and have never clicked with "speedsters" -- but it is good.

Speedsters like the Flash are unbelievably powerful. The only reason Barry in the show isn't absolutely owning every adversary he comes up against is because the writers are forcing him to not use his brain. He is contrived into being an absolute moron when it comes to confronting other metas. If he was given half the intelligence of anyone here (i.e., your average roleplaying nerd), the writers would have to earn their pay by actually coming up with inventive and plausible ways for the villains to overcome Barry Allen's Stop Sign collection of abilities. But he's not, and they don't, and that is probably the most frustrating thing about the show for me.