The Flash

Greywind

Speedsters like the Flash are unbelievably powerful. The only reason Barry in the show isn't absolutely owning every adversary he comes up against is because the writers are forcing him to not use his brain. He is contrived into being an absolute moron when it comes to confronting other metas. If he was given half the intelligence of anyone here (i.e., your average roleplaying nerd), the writers would have to earn their pay by actually coming up with inventive and plausible ways for the villains to overcome Barry Allen's Stop Sign collection of abilities. But he's not, and they don't, and that is probably the most frustrating thing about the show for me.

Well...yeah. But there's the Idiot Ball* and there's the Idiot Ball. Yes, they're nerfing Barry's powers, but they're not doing it so egregiously that I can't enjoy the show. An example of the latter was Peter Petrelli from HEROES, who was so insanely overpowered that only his superhuman stupidity prevented him from singlehandedly ending every threat the moment it appeared. And Hiro, whose mastery of the idiot ball prevented him from preventing every threat BEFORE it occurred (Teleportation and Time Travel are a potent mix).

*So called from Hank Azaria asking the writers of Herman's Head (I think) every episode, 'So who's carrying the idiot ball THIS week?"

Please tell me he's in the same prison as Shipp!

The brief article is hinting at that PRETTY strongly

The episode will reunite him with John Wesley Shipp who went up against him as the original 'Flash' on the CBS version.

How long they'll get to interact is a guess, but it surely looks possible. I admit, I loved Shipp as Barry back in the day, and I'm looking forward to it. It maybe the largest 'wink' to the fans of the original series we're liable to get.

I forgot to mention, when my wife and daughter and I watched a recent episode of The Flash on Comcast's On Demand, they showed their message that the fast-forward was disabled.  My daughter said, "Can we pause for a moment and appreciate the irony that we can't fast forward during an episode of The Flash?"

• 1 month later...

Watching last night's episode, half of me was cursing Cisco for being so dumb, while the other half (my gamemaster half) was pointing out it was plot-necessary stupidity to line things up for the future.

Last night's villain wasn't as great to me, but I'm loving the various other villain personalities, especially when considering their future as a Rogues Gallery.  Imagining Captain Cold and Pied Piper and Captain Boomerang working together -- I wonder if all Flash will have to do is some fast talking (pun fully intended) to get them at each other's throats.  "Really, Hartley?  Taking orders from a thief with a cold gun?  No wonder Dr. Wells sent you packing..."

Drunk Caitlin was amusing.  "You're a good guy.  You deserve a peek."

The flash lost me when the Flash when he first met Captain Cold was so fast everyone was standing still and he disarmed them all before they could react, then when he meets him again, he can't even get close to Cap.  Oh, and having him on the street unable to react before being shot by Cap and an ordinary cop leaping in from off camera with a shield to save him was just ludicrous.  They just cannot seem to comprehend superspeed.

I mean, granted, most of Flash's Rogues gallery wouldn't give him the slightest difficulty to defeat but still, bad writing.

Enjoyed the latest episode ("Crazy About You"). I was hoping Barry would take Caitlin's hint that she wanted to be crazy about him, but I understand where he's coming from. They aren't just friends, they are colleagues, and she sends help over the headphones. A dating relationship could strain that. Iris seemed quite shocked that Barry had a date. I suspect she was expecting Barry to always be waiting in the wings for her on standby.

Someone said in this thread before that Barry is using his speed to the exclusion of anything else. That has been shown very clearly the last two episodes. The Pied Piper beat him twice with the same trick. So did Line of Sight (I missed what they decided on for her). Barry's a scientist, he's used to using his brain. Perhaps it would be better to say that Barry is used to using the best tool for the job. As a forensic scientist, the best tool is his brain. As the Flash, he sees his best tool as his speed. He needs to rethink that. Brains with speed would be unstoppable.

I hope this is some of the character growth we'll be seeing this season.

We got the third shot of Grodd also. Any expectation that he'll be the villain for season 1's wrap up or will they wait for season 2?

I'm wondering if they'll be giving Grodd the full suite of Grodd powers or just the intelligence. Also wonder if he can talk. Can't wait to find out.

Also weird having Barry being picked up by his future nephew's future wife . . . I wonder if they're just changing it up or if it's some kind of time travel related plot point. I'm guessing the former.

Enjoyed the latest episode ("Crazy About You"). I was hoping Barry would take Caitlin's hint that she wanted to be crazy about him, but I understand where he's coming from. They aren't just friends, they are colleagues, and she sends help over the headphones. A dating relationship could strain that. Iris seemed quite shocked that Barry had a date. I suspect she was expecting Barry to always be waiting in the wings for her on standby.

Someone said in this thread before that Barry is using his speed to the exclusion of anything else. That has been shown very clearly the last two episodes. The Pied Piper beat him twice with the same trick. So did Line of Sight (I missed what they decided on for her). Barry's a scientist, he's used to using his brain. Perhaps it would be better to say that Barry is used to using the best tool for the job. As a forensic scientist, the best tool is his brain. As the Flash, he sees his best tool as his speed. He needs to rethink that. Brains with speed would be unstoppable.

We got the third shot of Grodd also. Any expectation that he'll be the villain for season 1's wrap up or will they wait for season 2?

Part of the Crossover with Arrow was Oliver trying to tell Barry that his speed is just a tool and that he still needs to know what he is doing. Knowledge is power.

I enjoyed the episode. Cisco carried the idiot ball, but as someone else pointed out, that was to advance the plot.

Caitlin drunk was adorable. Caitlin with a hangover also...

which makes me feel cruel to admit.

I do worry they're putting up flares for her becoming Killer Frost after all, that 'crazy for ...' line I mean

It could be awesome, but I wonder if it's worth losing a supporting character for?

Barry's brains seem to dim down when he's running. I know partially it's to keep his pit crew contributing and so Barry doesn't become unstoppable too soon, but I hope they show his own deductive side more often. Barry was CSI before CSI was cool.

I'm of mixed feelings of their use of Linda. Different revamped universe, but damn, Wally fans all over are feeling poked at by that one.

On the other hand, I have to agree that Iris had this whole stunned look that Barry had seemingly truly moved on. There might even be a bit of a green eyed monster in there despite it all.

CW romances are nuts, but I don't mind the madness as much as some, and sometimes they even amuse me.

Enjoyed the latest episode ("Crazy About You"). I was hoping Barry would take Caitlin's hint that she wanted to be crazy about him, but I understand where he's coming from. They aren't just friends, they are colleagues, and she sends help over the headphones. A dating relationship could strain that.

The more I consider Barry and Caitlin, the more I think it would be like Barry and Felicity: they may seem great for each other, and they could try, but ultimately they'd both decide the spark just wasn't there.  Which is really a shame in both cases, because both women are nice, incredibly smart, incredibly attractive, and genuinely like him for the person he is.

On the other hand, I have to agree that Iris had this whole stunned look that Barry had seemingly truly moved on. There might even be a bit of a green eyed monster in there despite it all.

I admit that I rejoiced internally when she had that look. I've been Barry in the always-on-standby side of a relationship once. A little victory by proxy.

That look can only mean one thing; relationship drama. Since that is a CW (well network TV) staple, I am guessing that jealousy and evilness will arise from those few words from Barry and the subsequent look from Iris this past episode. Isn't the cop dude eventually supposed to become one of Flash's enemies anyway? I'm not at all familiar with the comics but I remember seeing that mentioned up thread. Seems like the loss of a girl to the Flash/Barry might well be the motivation for a villain turn.

As far as Barry and Caitlin goes, Barry would be an absolute idiot to settle for being Rebound Guy. He already has a secret id. Even awkward Barry knows that Caitlin is going to need time to heal from her other experiences (and judging from the next week blurb, that might get complicated).

And as an aside, having zero knowledge of the Flash comics, I have no vested interest in how certain characters are "supposed" to turn out. I am finding it quite entertaining just watching things unfold on screen. Arrow was the same way for me. I knew nothing about the comics so Arrow is the reality I know. I don't know who this ATOM guy is, but we get to see yet another DC character establishing a foothold with the CW drama hour. I can only hope that, if it spins off into its own series, ATOM is as fun as Arrow or Flash.

• 2 months later...

Anyone still keeping up with this show? It remains my favorite of the current superhero shows... above SHIELD, Gotham and yes, Daredevil.

The whole Wells/Reverse Flash storyline has been building up nicely this last part of the season. I just wonder how much the show will be hurt by his absence assuming the showdown ends with him being off the show for at least a bit.