In other news...

tkdguy

On 11/10/2018 at 8:01 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

The entire town of Paradise, California (population 27,000) is being burned to the ground by a massive wildfire.

At work yesterday I heard one of my co-workers describing the plight of someone they knew who had to evacuate. They'd gotten their dogs out in time, but not their cats. Presumably said kitties met a gruesome demise from smoke and flame. There have been human deaths as well.

The wildfire apparently started when someone didn't properly put out their campfire.

My  Ex-GF lives... er lived there. She's safe with her dog and cat and husband in Chico. We're still friends, and her dog is awesome.

46 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Odds Bodkins, I'm so glad we stuck with the more constant imperial where we measure our monarch from heel to toe to find out how long a foot is!

Article: 

"Copies of the IPK are distributed around the world, with countries then creating their own reference weights, as close to the original as possible. These, in turn, are used to calibrate scales and weights throughout every section of society, from labs and factories to supermarkets and bakeries. And, yes, this includes America. The United States uses pounds and ounces instead of kilograms, but these too are calibrated using the International Prototype Kilogram, just like the metric system."

44 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I'm surprised it's taken this long, honestly.

Well, they did deal with Oxydation. 3 Vacuum bottles will do that. So it was asumed to be unchanging.

Of course nobody accounted for cosmic radiation changing single isotopes back in the day. The neutron was barely becomming an idea around 1910. So they needed to confirm there even was a problem. ANd the rest of the time was spend trying to find a acceptable solution.

"One does not casually redefine the Killogramm."

4 hours ago, Bazza said:

Article: 

"Copies of the IPK are distributed around the world, with countries then creating their own reference weights, as close to the original as possible. These, in turn, are used to calibrate scales and weights throughout every section of society, from labs and factories to supermarkets and bakeries. And, yes, this includes America. The United States uses pounds and ounces instead of kilograms, but these too are calibrated using the International Prototype Kilogram, just like the metric system."

I regret a tongue sticking out isn't available along with the like, happy sad downvote options

:P

I don't have an ounce of compassion for those who refuse to learn the metric system.  They must be a quart low when it came to intelligence.  I mean, i can't fathom why they still use imperial measures.  With such people, you just have to pound sense into them.  Because if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go have a pint.  This stuff is giving me a brain acre.

6 hours ago, Badger said:

I can sort of do meter measurements, but I still have trouble with grams and liters

grams are just the normal 1/1000th of a kilogramm.

Liters and centimeters are teh off-figures. We kind of picked something in between the normal 1000 steps for ease of use. And of course, Liters are also a measurement of volumne rather then a simple single dimension.

I lived in Germany long enough that most of the units never were a problem for me.  The only units I have no intuitive feel for are the land area ones ... acre and hectare are both meaningless to me, but I have literally never had to work with such quantities.

"It was the meter that was the first to be pegged to a constant. In 1960, it was measured using the wavelength of light, and then, in 1983, at the BIPM’s 17th convention (this week’s will be its 26th), it was given its current definition as “the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second."

I understand completely.  I mean, why would anyone remain on the old "five-thousand, two-hundred and eighty feet in a mile; sixteen ounces in a pound, four quarts in a gallon nonsense" when the metric system breaks up into much more practical and useful numbers like this?

:rofl:

49 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

"It was the meter that was the first to be pegged to a constant. In 1960, it was measured using the wavelength of light, and then, in 1983, at the BIPM’s 17th convention (this week’s will be its 26th), it was given its current definition as “the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second."

I understand completely.  I mean, why would anyone remain on the old "five-thousand, two-hundred and eighty feet in a mile; sixteen ounces in a pound, four quarts in a gallon nonsense" when the metric system breaks up into much more practical and useful numbers like this?

:rofl:

we don;t want to hange our distance measurement on the speed of light too tightly, just in case it turns out not to be a constant